Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A double-dose of seedy that oozes rough-and-tumble sexuality while promoting vice-driven profitability! Volcanic red musk, vanilla bean, Queen Elizabeth root, red ginger, skin musk, black leather, honeycomb, honeysuckle, magnolia, and patchouli.

Hmmm...actually there's already a review in the BPTP thread that is lovely, and should probably be placed here first.

However, since I'm always dying to know what new things smell like, I'll try to do a quick report. Just the facts maam.

In the bottle: The red musk, patchouli and leather are really forefronted for me, with maybe wafts of the honeysuckle/magnolia. No ginger yet.

Wet: Now the ginger comes out. I'm apparently a sucker for Beth's musk, patchouli & leather combinations so I'm eating this up. (The other trick had tabacco so it's all happy and good in Tricklandia.) The florals give it a southern flavor, kind of heady, and the ginger spices that up.

Dry: Consistent throughout. This is a very 'red' scent to me, if that makes sense. The vanilla is there, sweet with the flowers...wish I knew what Queen Elizabeth root smelled like. Very well balanced, patchouli and leather taking precedence on my skin.

ETA: Wow! On further drying it's really blending together fantastically! Clearly not enough dry time before finishing this review. The florals and vanilla manage to come on strong towards the finish while the musk/patchouli/leather fades back just far enough to let them run. It might be the Queen Elizabeth that's in front now. Okay, it's apparently now a race onmy skin and I lied about my ability to keep this nice, clear and to the point. Still, yay for the scent!

Overall: Sexy musk,patchouli, leathery, southern come-hither florals, sweetened by vanilla's fake innocence with some sharp ginger peeping through to keep things even more interesting.

There, nothing florid. nice dry first review material. (*lie*) I expect better from the rest of you. :P Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: Ooo! This is sultry and slinky. Of the mix, I smell the flowers and musk most.

Wet: It warms up right away. Out comes the ginger. The patchouli plays more of a supporting role.

Drying down: Mmmm. This is how I like ‘em: musky and spicy, sexy and sensual. The flowers were louder in the bottle, but they’re quieter on my skin. They lend a sense of eagerness to the blend and the energy to fuel the eagerness.

Dry: If this is the trick I deserve, I want to be tricked year-round. :P It is like stopping to smell the flowers and being dragged under the bushes by a sexy and superbly skilled stranger. The leather’s peeking out just enough for a pinch and a giggle beneath a blindfold. :D :D

And since I'm an impatient critter, I'll post this now and edit in my later impressions when later comes...

Now that it is later: The flowers are rising to the surface more strongly. It is as if the tussle in the bushes crushed some of the branches so that the scent grows as the action does. The musks are heady and delicious. Its description is accurate. OK, I want a new corset more than ever now… True to my skin, the vanilla is coming out more now. What fun!

And even later: OK so it doesn't need to be a stranger, nor does it have to be outside... Trick #1 is still fun!

Edited by blackfelicula

To me, this is an Ur-BPAL perfume. It's akin to the wonderful smell you get when you open your Imp Box and all the combined notes greet you.

My first smell had me nearly in tears, though! I took the chance on getting a Trick even though they both have patchouli and when first applied, I smelt patchouli and nothing else.

However, within about about 5 minutes later, a Heavenly Perfume started wafting off my arm.

Warm floral with touches of sweetness and leather.

This is one of my most favorite BPAL's ever. My reaction was simliar to the Masque.

Gorgeous scent good for absolutely any occassion. If this weren't such a limited edition, it'd be in heavy rotation.

If you have issues with patchouli, leather, honey or gardenia, you might want to try this because somehow the notes balance one another very well.

In Bottle: Floral, resin and leather

On Skin: Of course I’m a little worried about the patchouli, but wow, it isn’t strong! Patchouli is being my friend again for the third time in a row! It is there, I smell it’s tell-tale earthiness, but it’s softened by the beautiful sweet honeycomb, honeysuckle and magnolia. The red musk is drop-dead sexy… and wears beautifully next to my skin… meaning it’s combining very nicely with the skin musk as well. The ginger gives a sweet spice and the leather gives a GORGEOUS naughty sex appeal. This is a Trick scent for sure. I am sooooooooooo happy this scent works on me, I will treasure my bottle. Very dark, sexy, and fits the description to a T!!! YAY!!! Medium throw, average wearlength.

In the bottle

leather, patchouli, musk

when applied

leather, not new leather mind you,

but the well worn leather of the ex-lovers jacket that you've hidden in the back of

your closet and sworn you don't have.

Ginger and Red Musk penetrate the ends of the sleeves.

On drydown

here comes vanilla dragged through patchouli, giving

the scent a Snake Oil like feel, the flowers are there too,

like innocence lost but not forgotten,

sharp magnolia, sweet honeysuckle, and (if I'm correct that

Queen Elizabeth root is also known as Orris root)

a shy violet that binds it together.

This is what Iris would smell like wearing Travis Bickle's jacket (if it were leather that is)

Post review comments:

I've been wearing this off and on since my initial review. I mixed aboout an imps worth with a little grapseed oil in a rollerball. Patchouli tends to be very overpowering on me drowning out other scents. For some reason diluting the oils tends to brighten up musky resinous blends for me. Trick 1 only seems to get better with age. A leathery Snake Oil spicy musk. The drydown is divine to me. Leather and spice with a touch of vanilla :P

Fans of Red Phoenix, Shub, Smut, Snake Oil and Count Dracula would probably love this now, maybe even more after aging

Edited by stonechiper

In the bottle, I'm mostly detecting a chilly skin musk that reminds me of night air and a very sweet, honeyed floral note. It's much more smooth and chilly in quality than I was expecting.

I don't get any patchouli or leather at all from Trick #1, and this isn't as complex on my skin as the other trick or treat blends. It pretty much stays the same on my skin, even after several hours.

On me... this is a strangely cold, watery musk. The only way that I could describe it is that it makes me think of water. I also catch hints of soft, sweetly perfumey floral.

I thought that this would be my least favorite of the trick or treats, and it is. I don't really dislike this though. It's just soft, light, and simple musk on me. Not at all what I was expecting. It actually smells kind of like Silence on my skin :P only more watery.

I was equally fascinated by the prospect of both Trick scents, because both have a lot of ingredients that I really love. In this one, there's red musk, which is the regal queen of BPAL notes in my book. And patchouli, of course. I am intrigued by honeycomb, since I love beeswax so much. I thought this might be something in the Snake Oil-Mme Moriarty family because of the patchouli/red musk/vanilla thing.

This is a fair bit lighter than I expected and it took me awhile to really get a sense of what it smells like. Lightly honey over a dark core, something smoky and resiny underneath might just be the leather and patchouli. There's not a lot of red musk the way I think of it in things like Lust and Scherezade; I think it blends with the ginger in the same way it did in Chrysanthemum Moon.

A smoky musk with honeyed notes, a faint sweetness of vanilla and a touch of resin on hot coals (even though I know no resins are listed, that's how it comes across to me).

I really like it, though if a sniff of Trick #2 bowls me over then I might have to swap for it, but this trick is definitely a treat! I'd say it's vaguely in the Snake/Moriarty family though not as thick and sugared, and lacking a fruit or plum note. The leather coat of Doc Constantine over the dazzling raiments of Mme Moriarty.

ETA: After a few days, I can definitely say that this is a winner. The leather, patchouli and honeycomb are coming together in a way that makes me think of Luperci now. Golden and honeyed light over a darker background, bathed all around in ruddy shadows. It took awhile for it to all come together in my head but this is a unique and special blend.

Edited by sarada

This is soo beautiful. :D

Oh. Oh. Another blend with white florals that I can wear without getting a migraine! The patchouli, red ginger, and red musk must keep them from going awry on my skin.

In the bottle, it's spicy and I can def. smell the black leather and musk - rawrrr! Sexy like whoa. But I think the scent itself is a trick, because rather than being "A double-dose of seedy that oozes rough-and-tumble sexuality while promoting vice-driven profitability!" it has a strangely sweet and almost innocent fragrance once it hits my skin. Maybe because my skin amps florals...? Strong, pale florals immediately emerge, drowning all the leather and spice. The honeysuckle and magnolia remind me of Ode on Melancholy, but in a sweet, southern way.

On me, Trick #1 smells like something Scarlett O'Hara might wear on her lace hankie, after Rhett dumped her stupid ass and she FINALLY realized that she didn't really love Ashley because he was a gallant gentlemanly fool. Not exactly a courtesan's scent, although Scarlett's family and friends might disagree - she was awfully good at landing on her feet and keeping a roof over everyone's head by fair means or foul. lol

After a few minutes the ginger and florals fade and the vanilla and musk peek out over the patchouli. YUM.

The drydown is pure, lovely skin musk and vanilla. So soft and sweet. I LOVE this. It's so me, even though on me it's nothing like the concept! That fits too, I think.

I will also treasure my bottle. :P

So the luck of the draw has me in the Trick #1 camp, eh? And me so violently affirming my feelings about floral scents. Well, if there's anything I've learned in the past few months (hello Carpathians, hello Penny Dreadful) it's that BPAL scents can change my conception of even the seemingly immutable.

Now, having said that, I also have to say in summation that what I mostly get from this fragrance is skin musk, vanilla bean, and FLORAL. As in bowl-me-over on application and for some time afterward. The magnolia and musk are quite dominant in the bottle, with a bite of ginger and an undertone of honeysuckle and perhaps patchouli. I smell what I've come to identify, hopefully correctly, as red musk strongly in the bottle, but it's a much simpler, gentler and sweeter scent on my skin. The patchouli does not make an appearance on ND¢. Neither does the leather, which is sort of too bad for me. The floral scent is very strong when wet and for some time afterward, but then (what I think is) the skin musk and vanilla bean balances it out after maybe half an hour.

This is a much more classically feminine fragrance than I'd choose for myself, but it's undeniably beautiful, and I think that with some adjustment, I'll come to reach for it when I need to feel extra-womanly and extra-desirable.

ETA: After having had it in my possession almost a month, I am pretty much in love with it 100% and must obtain as much as humanly possible. So there you go.

Edited by ND¢

This has to be one of my most favorite scents EVER. Holy crap this smells good. Right away it reminded me of the combo I like to wear, Chrysanthemum Moon on one wrist, Schwartzer Mond on the other, then blend. Soooooo good!

Every so often I smell a faint whiff of something vaguely floral, which is a wonderful surprise but nothing overpowering.

Overall this scent is dark, spicy, sexy and *the* perfect Trick :P

Edited by maddi

Huh. This is quite faint on me, which I *never* would have guessed from the description. It is almost totally gone after 30 minutes. It does smell quite good initially, though it requires nose-to-wrist plastering to get the scent. I don't get any florals (yay and halleluja!) but the red musk, patchouli, ginger, and vanilla are delicious. This is a candidate for The Sock Drawer of BPAL Aging if anything ever was. I suspect in a few weeks it will deepen a lot, and in a year it will be swoon-worthy. Now? Not quite yet, unfortunately. But it has major potential. Tricky indeed! I usually give scents a number rating but I just can't yet, it needs some time to mellow.

EDIT: All right, now it's been in the wood box for 3 months or so. It is a little deeper, the notes are blended a bit more, and it's a little longer lasting, which is a very good thing. It is still a shy, understated blend on my skin though. I think it has it's place- when you want something that isn't to femme and floral but won't, say, freak your mother in law out for example. It is always going to be a "skin scent" on me- that is, you have to be within touching distance to smell it, it has no throw really. The components meld quite well- it's very smooth smelling, no one scent wins out over another. It's subdued and sweet with no sharp edges; if anything it's become so smooth that I can't pick out the notes at all, which I usually can, at least a bit. Trick 1 has no one prominent note though- if it was a Chaos Theory I'd be totally stumped.

I wished it has a bit more backbone when I first got it, probably because that's what I was expecting from the list of notes. But I have come to appreciate it for it's own subtle qualities- it is a scent I'll wake up and just *have* to wear on occasion, though it's not one I grab frequently, as it's so precious in nature.

I'd call this one a 4 out of 5, with some potential yet to be realized- I'm thinking it'll take a year at *least* for it to hit it's stride age-wise, which is another reason I'm trying to go easy on the bottle.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

I was expecting the red musk of Scherezade to team up with the ginger of Shub-Niggurath and the leather of Loviatar and have a hot, spicy, noisy orgy on my skin. What I'm getting instead is a lightly musky scent that has what I think of as a starry quality. At first I was worried, but after reading the thread I see that several people are experiencing the softer side of Trick #1.

Every so often, a gleam of ginger or a flash of red musk peeks out from behind the starry veil, warming the scent and intriguing me. It's more of a classy burlesque show, where things are hinted at rather than outright revealed. I prefer strong scents, and wouldn't mind being hit over the head with the ginger/red musk/leather triple threat, but I'm liking how some of my favorite notes are going in a completely different direction than I expected.

I can't wait to find out what this smells like after it's been aged for a bit!

I'm finally over my cold, so I can officially chime in and add to/edit my initial impressions from the BPTP thread.

There is a LOT of floral notes that jump out from this blend. I can really detect the magnolia (and/or possibly the Queen Elizabeth/orris root, depending on how much that actually smells like iris flowers), pretty much over everything else (in fact, when I sniffed this at the will call, I thought it was Trick #2 at first because my nose was confusing the magnolia with the tobacco leaf note, since they both have a kind of strong sweetness to them, especially when wet. But with Trick #2, when you first sniff that one, it's much more vibrant and berry-like, so that gave away the ghost so to speak).

When it dries, it's sweet yet musky. Still feminine, but quite dark and potent. I don't get leather or ginger from the blend at all (even minus the cold). Overall, it's heady and very "womanly". This is powerful, aggressive sexuality for certain, as it definitely screams "Notice ME! I'm hot and sultry, dammit!".

Interestingly, I also find it slightly comforting and maternal, especially once the blend dries in full and has settled into my skin. Which probably says something very strange about at least one corner of my psyche. :P In truth, all kinds of vivid images come into my mind when I have this on, mostly focusing on the figure of a well-endowed older woman, wrapped in various layers of deep red, vibrant fabrics, who's reaching her arms around me in support and love. I can't explain this vision at all, but she keeps showing up each time I open the bottle.

Honestly, I'm extremely surprised by how wearable this is on me. I'm not big on florals, especially the ultra strong variety. But everything is so well blended and balanced that I can't help but adore my Trick #1. I am going to have to be careful with how much I dab on as a little goes a loooooong way (it heads 'round the corner, up the street, out of the neighborhood and then *still* manages to find its way back again!) to the extent that it could become cloying super fast. That just means more of it will stick around to age with time, a prospect which delights me to no end, as I'm in complete agreement with the other reviewers who expect it to become all the more superb in the months to come.

I feel much more as though I've been treated with this Trick and will cherish it for certain. :D Cheers, m'dears!

:P

Magnolia. Magnolia. In the bottle. Wet. Dry. Headaches follow. My first inquisition, and I love my t-shirt. It is "that time," so I will try it again in a few days. But right now, it reminds me too much of the years I spent telling Mom that her favorite perfume, Beautiful, made me feel physically ill. It seems very much the same, Trick Number One. I am sure it is amazing on some people, but on me...not so much. A very traditional perfume smell on me. Ah, well. The first 5 ml that hasn't done it for me!

It is better on me these days, and when I wear it, people notice. It still starts pretty floral on me, but it lasts for hours and as time wears on, something happens and it becomes downright sexy.

ETA: last blurb, post-"time of the month"

Edited by stellaforstar

I hadn't planned on reviewing this yet, but I decanted an imp and there was a drop left in the pipette! I couldn't let it go to waste. :P

On first application, this is a bold vanilla and patchouli. It's very earthy but doesn't scream patchouli, you know? After a while, the vanilla fades away on me. I'm left with a pleasant blend of leather, patchouli, and a hint of florals. There's also a faint aura of musk that's really nice.

Overall, this is a sensual blend on me, deep and lingering sweet. It's not as strong as I expected it to be, what what I end up with is really gorgeous.

Edited by Voleuse

wow, what a shape shifter this one is!

in the imp and for the first 20 minutes or so on my skin i get the very light, aquatic vibe/scent that other reviewers have mentioned. it's pretty, but doesn't really grab me.

then it turns floral. the magnolia, but very grounded by the musks and patchouli. pretty, and deep. this stage lasts 1-2 hours.

the next stage is a kind of musky vanilla (and this vanilla doesn't go dusty on me, as vanilla tends to do!). just a hint of the magnolia. very sexy! this lasts about an hour.

finally, i'm left with musk and a hint of leather lingering close to the skin. i keep sniffing at my wrists to see if it's still there and still yummy. and it is. the ginger never showed up on me, but that's pretty common.

unique and very cool!

Trick #1-

In Bottle: Very soft and light--I got vanilla-honey-musk off this, but only very faintly. I can hardly smell anything at all.

Wet: Immediate soft musk.

Dry: This doesn't linger, pity--there's that pleasant soft musk but it just doesn't stick around. Wisps itself away within just a few minutes on my skin.

Overall: Fast fader; too bad.

I probably shouldn't have worn this to work - it's much heavier than what I usually wear here.

Trick#1, though, is amazing. Warm, sultry, and ridiculously expensive smelling. Wet, it's strong leather and patchouli, and then it dries into an extremely warm spicy leather-with-a-hint-of-vanilla scent.

It reminds me a bit of what might happen if I mixed the drydown of Red Lantern on me (all spices) with the dry down of Loviatar...

The goblins picked so well! This is going to see a lot of wear.

This scent has become one of my most favorites.... it's honey and spicey ... the patchouli mixes with the vanillas in the most amazing way. It's a patchouli roughened mixture of Red Lantern and Storyville... and not only that, it remainsthat way on the skin.

I'm in love again.

Trick #1 is much more mild, it's like a died down spanked mixed with floral undertone.

It's a pretty sort of trick, but definitely with less of a kick than trick #2. In fact, on the skin the patchouli aspect of it nearly disappears, and it doesn't last all that long in it's floral aspects.

First off, a blast of something that I thought was tobacco leaf (causing me much confusion in trying to figure out which wrist was which Trick). It must have been the magnolia combining with the leather. I loved everything in the description except the black leather - most leather notes smell flat & dead on me.

That magnolia/leather holds strong for about fifteen minutes. Then I begin to get hints of some sort of musky floral. But I really have to snuffle to get anything. I wasn't expecting it to pull such a quick fade. Just as it starts to smell good, too ...

Early reviews had me hopeful - I would have loved vanilla/patchouli or uber-floral. As it is, I'm torn between letting it age, hoping it will last long enough to smell good, or swapping it.

This is my first review, so please think gently of me.

From the decant: Musky, leathery not sure if this is going to work on me and not sure if I mind that.

Wet: More subtle than from the bottle but richer tones coming out, something almost floral but far more decadent than just a blossom.

15 min: OMG this is S-E-X on a platter! Reminds me very much of Norell, which I loved (My late, much-loved and missed crazy Bohemian aunt turned me on to it in the 70s). Ooooh still warm from being worn leather jacket backed up by really nice patchouli (not the hippy armpit variety) and something else - ginger? - and that floral-ish scent.

30 min later: Still good, warm, delicious. This is the first BPAL my husband noticed and complimented.

3 hours: Just beginning to fade, but still very nice and very present.

This lasted 5-6 hours and is just so damn good! I'd offer up my firstborn for a bottle, but she's getting married and I don't think it would be quite the fair swap. *snicker*

Charlee

I got no leather from this at all :P

In fact all I got was that wonky-ginger thing that sometimes happens to me. The description read like my dream blend, but it turned out to be a disaster in skin chemistry: a little sweet hint of vanilla and honey, combined with a whole lotta ginger and spoiled red musk, all amping until it was practically foody. I could detect the skin musk in there somewhere trying to break through, but it didn't really have a chance until about an hour past total drydown. And then still no leather. boo.

It was really sweet and lovely in the end, but the ginger ruined all the fun. I've swapped this for #2, and I shall keep my fingers crossed.

By now I think I should pretty much know that Beth's red musk + patchouli = Emz Nirvana...because this is absolutely flipping amazing. Even better than Trick 2, which I would not have thought possible from sniffing the bottles.

In the bottle this is a dark floral scent (which sort of had me worried), but on my skin, my god, this just blossoms, for lack of a better non-pun-laden word, into something dark and mysterious and musky and sensual with a swipe of floral, but so much more...I don't really get any leather from this, but everything else is wafting beautifully...this is a truly beautiful blend.

I was so excited to get Tricked by the inquisition...

...and almost equally apprehensive to try the oil when I peeked at the notes.

Vanilla bean? I amp vanilla and it tends to go candle waxy on me.

Black leather? That can be really strong and leather stores sometimes give me headaches.

Honeycomb, honeysuckle? eeep! Honey tends to mug other notes so it can have me all to itself.

Magnolia? I amp florals too.

and patchouli....while I have nothing against it really, I've just been avoiding it because it can be so strong.

That said - I am utterly in LOVE with this scent!!

In the imp - it is powerfully musky. Leather-wearing, patchouli scented sex in a bottle.

Wet - Everything blended together perfectly. I can smell the florals playing nice with the leather, balancing the roar of patchouli..it's perfect!

Dry - Everyone compliments this scent on me (well, except for one friend who always goes "Oh! That's too strong!" But she later admitted it's nice, just too much for her.

I love how dark and sexy this scent it. When I first tried it, I danced around in delight. My leather jacket tends to be my own scent-locket. Trick #1 got into it and has yet to leave. When I tried another BPAL that didn't quite work on me, my hubby complained "I got used to you smelling faintly like vanilla. That's nice." I hadn't put on Trick #1 for over a week, I'd just been wearing my coat.

Now that I know that leather, musk and patchouli aren't really that scary on me, I'm going to try all kinds of things!

this is the one scent out of the four that i really, really wanted a bottle of (yeah, okay, i wanted to be able to TRY all of them. but just once or twice)....

but now that i've gotten an imp of it....

it turns into Snake Oil and a drop of teh Smut on me. sadly -- or possibly thankfully, seeing what these bottles are going for now.

it is nice, and i will use what i have, but i don't think i'll go searching out more.

plus this is so faint on me. i'm a slatherer, even just to test something, and i can just barely smell it, even if i put my hand right up under my nose. so i guess this is another skin-scent type of oil.

not that is isn't a lovely blend, and if it was a GC i'm sure i'd buy more bottles of it when this one gets low -- but it isn't. so if anyone else isn't completely blown away -- don't feel bad cuz you're not alone [=