Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A double-dose of seedy that oozes rough-and-tumble sexuality while promoting vice-driven profitability! Volcanic red musk, vanilla bean, Queen Elizabeth root, red ginger, skin musk, black leather, honeycomb, honeysuckle, magnolia, and patchouli.

I just have a sniffie of this, and it is rather old, so I don't know if it smells as it should... But on me this is EXTREMELY masculine. It smells like a spicy men's cologne. Nice enough for what it is, but not for me!

Hmm... this one is more masculine than I expected. I definitely amp up the musk and leather, so it smells like a musky leather, with slightly sweet floral overtones. Really, it smells like a masculine cologne. A very sexy masculine cologne. ;)

In the imp, sweet and spicy. Hello ginger and honeycomb, with an undertone of leather and musk. Mmmm

Wet, leather...very, very leathery. And the skin musk is peeping out too. This is good.

Dry, this is good. Very, very good.There's musk, and musk, and the patchouli coming up the back. The leather is hanging out up the back, but not so much that it overpowers everything...and of course, the vanilla. The vanilla is just this gorgeous sweet note playing through the blend.

This started out really floral on my skin. The magnolia and the honeysuckle were definitely at the forefront. As it dried, the honey/leather/patchouli combination came out and this was amazing!! Deep and rich and sexy! I agree with a previous reviewer who stated the similarity to Red Lantern here. Further into the drydown the vanilla and red musk come out more, resulting in a sweet earthy musk blend. I like it, but it's definitely a notice-me scent. I'll probably have to be careful where I wear this!

In the bottle - Musky florals, mostly magnolia if my nose is working right. Even in the bottle it's not very strong...

Wet - Faint, faint floral.

Drying - Oh, there we go, there's some complexity. The patchouli is out a little, as is the leather, but neither are forcing their ways up. The honeysuckle is very faint, too. On the whole it's ALL faint, which I wasn't expecting. And yet it seems to have a nice, understated throw. Primarily, it's a magnolia scent on me, with some leather and a touch of the patchouli and musk to darken it down.

Dry (2 hours) - This has become something I'm not too fond of. It's sort of soapy and leathery with a little super dry patchouli. It's not offensive, just a really unlikable mix for me.

Overall - I can see why other people like it so much, but it's seriously not for me.

In the bottle: Oooh, complex but recognizable. There's vanilla, musk, leather, honeycomb, patchouli, all sorts of stuff. I like it!

Wet: Musky and a bit rooty, with a leather tinge, and fleshy flowers on top. This is going nice places but needs to develop.

Twenty minutes: Sharper notes are prevailing, the leather and something else. The warmth of the base has dissipated somewhat, and the florals have gone a bit more piercing. I might have to trade this if it doesn't improve.

Hour and a half: This is starting not to work for me. The base is sourish, the leather note is kind of pungent, and there's another note edging into headache territory. I think I will have to find a better home for this one.

Two and a half hours: This has gone unexpectedly both sharp and flat on me. The only identifiable note I get is something that's rather like dusty leather.

Four hours: I'm amazed at how little I'm getting out of this scent, given all the notes in it that work on me. It's definitely not worth me keeping; maybe someone else will love it.

I traded this to someone who loves it.

Bottle: A sweet musky blend, almost fruity smelling.

Wearing, I get a rich musky sweet floral scent. And, given the listed notes this is surprisingly "fresh." Almost like a phenomenally scented soap. I get a great deal of an herbal vibe from this, sweet florals and an undercurrent of sweet leather. But its mostly a fresh sweet herbal with a dark side. Its a surprisingly gentle blend on me, and I get barely any patchouli and no spice to speak of (I don't miss the patch, but would've liked some more spice!).

Oddly, this has an almost aquatic feel on me...Sexy dark water.

Late dry down--much more vanilla now, and that same herbal aquatic cleanness.

Overall, this is a very nice blend, unique and wonderful….but I almost never wear it. So I'm passing it on.

Trick #1:

In the Vial: Warm, sweet, heaaavy!

Wet: Hint of leather, very musky, patchouli adding depth and earthiness. Warm and sweet.

Drydown: The leather's long gone and the patch' is nearly non-existent. Still very warm, musky, and sweet.

Verdict: I love this. If I had a bottle? I'd keep it. But I'm trying really hard to decrease the number of decants and imps floating around. Might see if someone else might offer a better home to this gorgeous blend.

I had always wanted to try Trick #1 but never really made an effort to get a decant, so I was thrilled when a kind swapper included some in a package. In the vial this one smells fizzy and almost like Dr. Pepper. I know, what? I did a double take. After I applied, this turned into straight up black leather. It was a little too intense for my taste, but I decided to keep wearing it in the hope that the leather would calm down a bit. And it has, considerably. The final scent is a little muddled, but I can pick out a bunch of musk, something sweet (vanilla? honey?), and a few flower petals. I could see myself really going for this if it were stronger, but alas, I don't think it's meant to be.

3/5

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

From the bottle and wet on skin I get the flowers right away.

Drydown and finish the patchouli and musk come out to play with a little of the vanilla sweetening the pot. It's a very interesting floral combo on me. The floral notes are not overwhelming me but defintely there. Pretty interesting.

This is one of those scents that I decide to let go, then end up purchasing again later. So now I am going to write a review that will hopefully stop this!

On the skin: Sweet and pretty with a bit of smooth leather. I love how smooth and easy to wear this blend is! No sharpness to this one at all! The sweetness reminds me slightly of vanilla, but it is actually more than just that. Vanilla and honey sweet florals? Very nice!

Really, I think this one is going to stick around this time. Might need to death match it against a few others though!

Loving this!

The description is right on its very sexy but not trying too hard or over powering. Also I'm a sucker for Beth's leather blends.

It smells very smooth in the bottle. I recognize the labs leather and honeysuckle and a lot of sweet red musk. I know immediately this is going to be a hit. I love red musk.

Surprisingly on the skin, the red musk doesn't amp the way it usually does. It's tempered by all of the smoother notes. The skin musk I detect low to the skin and outright blends with the red musk creating this inbetwen sweet but not sugary, mildly spiced and honeyed musk. It's beautiful. I detect the waxy honeycomb as a separate note entirely that shows up later.

In the air I catch a breeze of honeyed flowers-- not sharp at all. They're warm, with a hint of vanilla and almost rooty. I believe I smell the Elizabeth root (which I looked up and found out is the same as orris root. I wonder why it's named differently here?) the root has a violety and earthy smell which is what I am smelling a bit here.

The leather and patch sit low, maybe with a tint of finer but I don't get much of it. Just a tiny extra spice now and then when they decide to pop up. They make the whole thing sexy and not soft flowers, because the scent is light despite its sensual nature.

It sort of beckons you to come closer with the teasing little whiffs of scent and then seduces you with it's intoxicating poison when you come close to breathe its full scent. :P

this is not masculine to me as some

other reviews have stated. it’s def a little head shoppy in the bottle. on the skin the patchouli and musks are all prominent but work to kind of balance each other out in a way so neither becomes overpowering while still giving off the incensey vibe. the florals all kind of blend together to give this a sweet tone without being “flowers” and with no one in particular standing out. honeysuckle and the herbally green things it does is totally absent. this is one to reach for if you dig the florientals. i feel like the leather and honey are like supporting players here without coming center stage. as it dries the leather becomes more prominent and yet still doesn’t become masculine. this is definitely a strong scent with a good throw. it stays pretty consistent for a good long time

this smells like silk fabric would smell if it was a scent. like very cool but not a cold or watery scent. like red silk, which i'm assuming is due to the volcanic red musk. but it's like the florals have become one with the musk in like this totally glorious way. the honey turns it into sweet flowers rather than being a player on its own. i think the orris kind of tempers the honeysuckle and magnolia and is the true bridge between flowers and musk. i don't really note ginger or leather in what i would call a masculine way. this is a very feminine, sensual, silk bathrobe kind of scent. i feel like the ginger and leather must be working with the patchouli and vanilla to give off more of an incensey vibe in the throw, which is decently strong on me, whereas the flower musk is more prominent up close on the skin. very cool. i'm honestly reminded so strongly of inara serra in serenity in the scene where she's in her rooms lighting incense and the bad dude shows up..... i don't usually associate fragrances with memories but this is now my go-to inara-channeling perfume. the florals hung around for 2+ hours on me, while the incense lingered a little while longer. 

ETA: whoa, i totally didn't realize i had already reviewed this, hope that's ok!

Edited by DiZZysTARdust