Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
viciousviolet

The Hanged Man

From Tarot Oils

Of all the major arcana, I understand this card and the Chariot the least. I feel I don’t identify with them as well as I do the others or perhaps I haven’t experienced a period in my life that can be personified by them yet. I purchased the Hanged Man to help me overcome this, and I think it’s brought a little clarity to me. The scent is a little watery, like lotus or China rain, but it has something I can’t pinpoint in it too that makes it warmer and resinous. It’s the scent of deliberate loss and sacrifice, cleansing and cathartic. The tone is very melancholy bordering on sorrowful.

Initial Impression:

Very clean, quiet and light. Slightly sweet. There's something so familiar about this scent that it makes it hard to smell. Like something you've been overexposed to to the point that you don't notice it any longer.

After Wearing It:

On me this scent was very soft, sweet and slightly fruity. I think I smell lotus (which can often smell at tad fruity to me) and maybe a touch of something like honeysuckle? After a bit of wear, the scent became more powdery taking on an almost introverted tone to it. Overall the scent didn't smell sad so much to me as resigned but relieved. Like someone who has made a tough decision, but feels better now that they've decided in which direction to turn.

Final Thoughts:

This isn't exactly what I pictured in terms of the Hanged Man card, but I do want to meditate on it more. It's a nice scent on its own as well.

The Hanged Man

When I applied this I could smell tart apples, but within seconds a sweetness appeared, perhaps lotus?

As the oil dried and the scent developed more I could feel a depth that made me think of orchids, rich and slightly exotic.

This winds up as a beautiful, gentle, slightly sweet floral. It’s gorgeous!

At fist: kind of fruity and sweet. As it dries it is getting herby and green, but there is still an undertone that reminds me of some kind of candy (can't remember which kind though). It is now getting an aquatic scent to it. This is a very nice, non-soapy, non-commercial perfumey aquatic.

Note ~ My card for 2004.

Vial ~ A sweet, slightly muted berry.

Wet ~ eee! I got a tiny bit on my finger and could smell it wafting already. Definitely a berry bubble gum scent.

Drying ~ This scent is developing a musky backbone, which is merging well with the sweetness.

Drydown ~ Hrm. The musk and the berry seem to be battling it out, and the musk is winning. It's still got a sweet edge to it, but its not quite as happy-go-lucky as it started out.

Dry ~ The sweetness came back, but a little muted by the musk. Hmmm. For me, this is a successful version of other such blends that Beth has made, as generally sweet vs. musk doesn't work well on me. The only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Dorian (and supposedly O, though I don't really notice the musk that much).

Fade ~ Fades pretty quickly, but stays true to its dry phase. I think that liberal amounts of this oil lower on the body would be a good idea.

Final thoughts ~ Thus far, this is the first Tarot Oil I've found of which I'd I'd consider purchasing a large bottle. While others may have been true to their card's art or meanings, they haven't agreed with my skin chemistry or nose. Wow. I wish I'd actually gotten this in 2004.

It's driving me insane trying to pick notes out of this scent, so I've been applying it several times over the course of the evening.

As others have said, it's very sweet. I keep thinking I smell magnolia, and... apple. But, when the scent starts to dry down, I detect more of the apple, and less of the floral scent of the magnolia.

But is that magnolia? Someone else said honeysuckle, but I can't seem to distinguish between the two, and I'm leaning more towards magnolia.

While I do like this scent, it's far too sweet and floral for my taste. It's very fitting for it's name though. The Hanged Man often shows it's face when there's confusion and even delirium in a situation. This is a very flighty scent in my opinion. The lab did a great job with this one, it just doesn't work for me.

-Leslie

In the bottle: That kinda smells like spiced cough syrup, which is a rather unfortunate smell. It's not even cherry flavored cough syrup, it's more that original flavor that no one knows what it really is but you gag it down anyway because it's supposed to make you all better. Lies.

Wet: Ummm...well...it's...different. I don't know. This has some of the same spice notes that The Chariot had, but whatever else is in here does not mix with them as well. I smell like medicine.

Dry down: Still that medicine smell along with the slight spice in the background. I'm not sure what's in here, but I really doubt that I'd wear them unless I was forced to at gunpoint. Clove. I'm pretty sure that there's clove in the background of this somewhere. Lurking.

Dry: Well, it's calmed down a little. Most of the "OMG, drink me. I'm cough syrup" smell has died down, but the cloves are still marching on. Hmmm...I'm getting the same kind of slight fruit scent out of this that I did from The Chariot. I wish the forums were up so I could read what others have said about these scents. This one lacks the sour note beneath it all. Getting to this stage of the scent is pretty painful, however, and I'm not sure it's an experience I'd want to reenact. The clove is mixing with something that's sweeter, but I'm still not sure that this scent is anything I'd wear.

The Hanged Man

This was a part of the Tarot swap - since I need to review all of them in a very short time, this will be a brief review.

In the vial:

Sweet. Very, very sweet. I’m thinking honey and some slight flowers and spice.

On me:

Yes, honey and spice, with a hint of florals. This is very lovely. It’s dark, and romantic at the same time, at least to my nose. I could simply smell my wrist over and over...

In 15 minutes:

It is still somewhat sweet, but now, the primary notes are herbal and slightly spicy. It’s a very fresh, green scent. Like the Lovers, I wish I could try it out for longer, but I do like both parts a great deal.

Overall:

I could see myself getting a bottle of this. It’s very elegant. I think it may be a little too nice-smelling for the Hanged Man, but that’s just my impression.

at first: i'm getting a wonderfully sweet, watery lotus scent. woo hoo!

on: lovely. lotus, lotus, lotus!

1 hour later: a bit sweeter, but in an almost fruity way. still mostly lotus.

3 hours later: lighter and but more generally floral. i really like this.

6.5 hours later: more powdery, but still sweet. i love this!

overall: i'm so glad i bought a bottle of this. it's just wonderful. i might decant an imp and sell off whatever left of the rest of the bottle, just as a symbolic gesture.

This is an aquatic perfume with a fruity touch in my skin.

I can smell a lot of lotus on it!

It's sweet and it doesn't change at all when dry.

The Hanged Man is sweet, watery and slightly soapy when wet. As it dries, herbal and floral notes emerge while retaining its sweetness. It's a surprisingly pretty scent, as Witch's Dagger noted in her review, but it doesn't really connect with me.

Apples and honey and a touch of floral (whomever suggested honeysuckle, I think you're right). This one is just gorgeous, but for whatever reason it just isn't me. For those who like fruity florals, though, this one is a keeper. Very nice.

Hehe... this blend smells way to light and happy to be the Hanged Man!

In the imp: clean, crisp, sweet/tart - could that be...

On: HI, LOTUS! The lotus jumps out, waves and hollers, and starts shaking its rump around like a spaz. In other words, uh, really lotusy.

Drydown. Once the lotus stops acting like a frenzied little dog trying to hump my leg, it settles down I get whiffs of something else - apples, maybe honeysuckle or other subtle florals. It's a light, clean sweet-but-not-sticky blend - even though I'm at work after 6 PM and ready to call it a day, this makes me feel shower-fresh. Very rejuvenating and fun.

Lotus was one of thost notes I had to learn to love - and I discovered I can only love it in certain blends. Luckily, this is one. :P

in the vial: apples, and lotus giving it a fruity candy type scent

wet: this smells like herbal essence, a totally organic experience. it is fruity, floral, light and warm.

as it dries this reminds me of sunshine, it is fresh, warm, summery, i picture a beautiful floral sundress clad woman slowly walking through an apple orchard.

definitely not what i expected in hanged man :P beautiful indeed

Wet - fruit and bubblegum. Lotus I presume.

Dry - still some unidentifiable fruit, certainly not one of my favorites, and lotus. Mercifully it fades quickly.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2.

Bottle (Imp): Quite fruity sweet, with a tiny hint of flowers.

Just On: Pretty close to the same.

An hour or two later: Near the same, more flowers than fruit, and fading fast.

Around 6 hours: Barely there flowers.

12 hours: It's too far gone to really smell, but it *seems* like it's still there.

Overall: I like this one, as usual.

After reading other reviews: Wow, I really didn't get the lotus on this one, and that usually jumps right out at me. I get the sweet, and I would agree with honeysuckle, which is usually sweet and flowery on me.

When I first opened this one I thought, "ooooh good. I'm gonna like this one!"

It has a fruity/lotus/pineapple kind of smell to it. yummy

Five minutes later it's completely gone.

So I put some more on...

Fruity. some sweet, light floral.

annnnnnnndddd... it's gone.

oh well

At first, I get much soapiness and a slight fruitiness. Once it goes on the skin, it's more floral than anything, but is at the same time quite earthy and warm. Later, it turns more and more perfumey, but not necessarily in a bad way. There's some kind of fresh, light floral, which I'm thinking might be heliotrope? It's nice, but a bit floral for my tastes.

Origin:

The Tarot Series Circle.

First sniff:

The Hanged Man is yet another Tarot scent that I can’t quite pin down. It’s slightly sweet and maybe a little green. It reminds me vaguely of Demeter’s Sugar Cane, but only in passing. I’m not sure what’s in here, honestly. :P

Wet on skin:

Whatever’s in here, it’s pretty. On me, it takes on a scent somewhat similar to a sweeter version of Scarecrow. For the record, though, Pumpkin King turned into Scarecrow’s doppelganger, so my skin chemistry could be the reason for what I’m smelling here.

Dry down:

Still Scarecrow’s sweeter cousin. I’m fairly sure it’s probably a skin chemistry thing, but since I haven’t read the other reviews, I can’t say for sure.

The bottom line:

Too similar to Scarecrow on me. I’m curious about whether it’s my skin chemistry latching onto something or if that’s par for the course. :D

In the imp: Fruity!

On, wet: Still fruity, with a very faint hint of spice, maybe some sweet floral. So far, this is my favourite of the Tarot scents I've tried.

Later: It's a really well-blended scent. Kinda fruity, kinda sweet, kinda floral, a little spice. I quite like it. :P

First on this scent makes me think of rain. Light, spring rain. Where it's barely drizzling and the sun is actually out, making the water droplets shimmer. It's not what I'd expect for The Hanged Man... so pretty, fresh, and light.

After a few minutes a sweet bubblegum-ish note comes out, and I'm guessing there's lotus in this. I like the mixture of sweetness and soft rain. This isn't really fruity, spicy, or floral on me as some others have said. I'm glad for that though, I'm loving this 'lotus in the rain' scent.

Sadly, this fades on me after about an hour. I like this a lot though, so I'll definitely be holding onto my decant. It's a great scent to wear when I just want to relax and be alone, I think. It's calming.

In bottle: It reminds me of apples and lotus, an extremely sweet combination. Lotus can be a little watery, but it isn't in this blend; it's just screaming bright and sweet. Tho' I generally love sweet fragrances, lotus is a note I've never gotten into - it's sweet but a little chalky. That chalkiness is definitely apparent here.

On me: Apple. I love apples, but this is such a sickly sweet one I don't know that I'll be able to keep it.

The initial blast doesn't last long, thank goodness. When it's dry the fragrance is pleasant, fruity, delightfully apple-like - but something's off. Something just isn't right. I wish that I could pinpoint it, but I guess the apple-ness of it is surrounded by some floral I don't care for, and even hints of it are enough to put me off the scent.

If you like Bath & Body Work's Country Apple, I think it would layer very well with this.

This is definitely a familiar scent in that crafts store at Christmas type way.

It's got.... fig? apple..... cinnamon ?

I feel like I am standing in an isle next to those wreaths with the faux red berries and the wound wooden branches.

Ah there, as it dries I am getting rose rose rose.

It's a shame because the initial apple was somewhat appealing but I dislike rose.

And there it stays, roseity rose rose.

Oh, this is so pretty

Slightly spicy, slightly sweet. I'm having trouble picking out the individual notes. Its like spiced apples and figs, with a little bit of lotus and cloves. The apple isn't screaming at me, like in the Hesperides. This is like slow cooked apples, till they are soft and mushy.

This is definately my favorite tarot oil so far. This scent makes me feel warm. I feel like its a winter scent that should be work with comfortable clothes that are way too big while curled up on the couch in front of a fire.

Apples and lotus wet, and I do mean wet apples and wet lotus! :P Something… not quite powdery, slightly reminiscent of the candlewax I get in The Star and yet not, comes out on the drydown.

This is my Year Card for 2006, so pardon me while I pop over to purchase a bottle. (Incidentally I'm looking forward to what The Hanged Man might show me this year, it's going to be an... interesting ride, I think.)