Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
supremegoddessofall

Who are the authorized resellers?

(in other words, if I lived near Shelldoo's shop, she'd probably have to forcibly peel me away from the shelves and kick me out at closing time :P) I would be more inclined to go to a BPAL store than through mail order given the opportunity - I like the instant gratification of going through a retail store! So all I meant was that I was wondering if BPALers even needed more of an incentive to go to a store that carries BPAL - the fact that it'd carry any BPAL is all the incentive I think a lot of us would need, judging by the squees in the thread when the Georgia Whole Foods became a seller of even a few GCs!

I hope that makes more sense :D

Oh, I'd be the same - Shelldoo would be sick of me! I'd show up like clockwork on payday! :D All I meant was that having this line is an incentive for brick-and-mortar retailers to carry BPAL - because it's something people can't get via mail order so the fans will have to go to the stores, so the retailers will get something of a built-in market - and that having brick-and-morter retailers carry BPAL is a good thing for the lab, because they can then attract people who *don't* already know about it, don't have internet access, or who are leery of buying perfume online ("how do you know what it smells like???"). So I don't think it's about attracting more current BPAL fans to the retailers, as much as it is having the retailers carry BPAL to get more new customers/fans.

(in other words, if I lived near Shelldoo's shop, she'd probably have to forcibly peel me away from the shelves and kick me out at closing time :D) I would be more inclined to go to a BPAL store than through mail order given the opportunity - I like the instant gratification of going through a retail store! So all I meant was that I was wondering if BPALers even needed more of an incentive to go to a store that carries BPAL - the fact that it'd carry any BPAL is all the incentive I think a lot of us would need, judging by the squees in the thread when the Georgia Whole Foods became a seller of even a few GCs!

I hope that makes more sense :)

Oh, I'd be the same - Shelldoo would be sick of me! I'd show up like clockwork on payday! :D All I meant was that having this line is an incentive for brick-and-mortar retailers to carry BPAL - because it's something people can't get via mail order so the fans will have to go to the stores, so the retailers will get something of a built-in market - and that having brick-and-morter retailers carry BPAL is a good thing for the lab, because they can then attract people who *don't* already know about it, don't have internet access, or who are leery of buying perfume online ("how do you know what it smells like???"). So I don't think it's about attracting more current BPAL fans to the retailers, as much as it is having the retailers carry BPAL to get more new customers/fans.

Gotcha ;) I think I misread you as saying it was the BPALers who needed the incentive to go. If this will possibly lead to more brick-and-mortar retailers carrying BPAL, then rock on :P

[snip] who are leery of buying perfume online ("how do you know what it smells like???").

I will say... the ability to get samples is a must for me buying scents. I am very picky about smells, and lots of things give me headaches. Until I discovered alcohol-free bpal I didn't even wear perfume of any kind, and I always try to buy unscented products for other stuff. A HUGE HYOOOGE part of what enabled me so well is the swapping comms. I don't mind taking chances on things I know I can swap if they don't like me. I think the way it's built an online community and allowed / not discouraged the aftermarket has been really critical to bpal's expanding success. I think it's kinda cool that at this point they can transfer the benefit of that online community to grow the retailers.

Because you do have to be careful when you're "competing" with your resellers. One of my clients sells his products online and via small retailers, and he does have to be careful about not stepping on their toes with his online sales [ie a customer buys from the store, then sees his web addy on the product label and makes future orders online... that's not so great for the retailer]. But there is a large segment of people who will sniff and buy on-site but never go online and purchase scented products, and it's good to be able to reach both markets.

I'm hoping this means we'll have will-calls here eventually, too. Because that would be all kinds of fun.

Knowing how the bpal swapping community works I have little doubt that anyone who wants a bottle will be able to lay their hands on one eventually. I'm sure decant circles and custom purchases will spring up like mushrooms in a particularly poopy field, pratically overnight. :D

Plus they're not LE so they can be done through the forum!

Oh pleeeeeeeze let Harry's/Whole Foods in Atl be carrying these! PLEEEZE! :P

When I was there last week, the women told me that the guy in charge of ordering was planning to double the size of the existing display.

*fingers crossed*

Yay! Not only more range, but that must mean they're doing well. :D

Luckily none of these appeal to me. There are a couple I'm interested in trying, but nothing that looks like a must-have right now. I only live about two hours from Hershey, PA, so if I ever make it to East Coast Will Call maybe I can try a bottle or two. I was loving the sound of La Vague until I saw that it has rose in it, which is an absolutely deal-break for me. Wezwanie/Hold looks really interesting though. I'd like to try it eventually. :)

I'm the same way, thankfully!

They'll get more sales carrying these than they will stuff that's already available from the lab, that's for sure. I kinda see this as a reward/incentive for the retailers to carry the line, because the existing customer base will *have* to go to the retailer for these scents.

That was my thought entirely - and anything to encourage more retailers can only be a good thing. We'll still get hold of it through the secondary market, and prices shouldn't go crazy because they're not LE.

Oh, I'd be the same - Shelldoo would be sick of me! I'd show up like clockwork on payday! :P All I meant was that having this line is an incentive for brick-and-mortar retailers to carry BPAL - because it's something people can't get via mail order so the fans will have to go to the stores, so the retailers will get something of a built-in market - and that having brick-and-morter retailers carry BPAL is a good thing for the lab, because they can then attract people who *don't* already know about it, don't have internet access, or who are leery of buying perfume online ("how do you know what it smells like???"). So I don't think it's about attracting more current BPAL fans to the retailers, as much as it is having the retailers carry BPAL to get more new customers/fans.

Do we know for sure that it won't be mail order? I'm confused, because I was under the impression that Nail Polish, Etc will be taking payments for bottles and shipping them out. I was surprised, because I thought it said that the exclusives won't ever be available online which I took (probably wrongly) to mean no mail order. But if Nail Polish, Etc is selling and mailing 'em out then that kinda does put Le Pink at a disadvantage because I spoke to the owner and she said they're just not able to do mail order at all. It was great to be able to go to her store and see the other products she stocks, but since I don't drive, it meant I had to take the bus over there and back. So instead of making the trip to Silverlake to get the scents from her, some people on the west coast may just order from NPE (me included). So I wonder what the policy is and whether NPE will be selling by phone/Paypal and shipping out?

Edited by GypsyRoseRed

Do we know for sure that it won't be mail order? I'm confused, because I was under the impression that Nail Polish, Etc will be taking payments for bottles and shipping them out. I was surprised, because I thought it said that the exclusives won't ever be available online which I took (probably wrongly) to mean no mail order. But if Nail Polish, Etc is selling and mailing 'em out then that puts Le Pink at a disadvantage because I spoke to the owner and she said they're just not able to do mail order at all.. So instead of making the trip to Silverlake to get the scents from her, some people on the west coast may just order from NPE. So I wonder what the policy is and whether NPE will be selling by phone/Paypal and shipping out?

I was confused as well when Shelldoo posted that. I thought that I could call Le Pink and order it by phone until I saw your post saying otherwise. :D If that's the case, I'll have to either order from NPE or have someone pick up some bottles at will call and send them to me. Or, I could just bribe my ex-husband to go to Silverlake and pick them up for me. :P

yes, sorry, i am jet lagged and trying to post. we will take orders and ship :P or take orders for pick ujp, i am flexible

Do we know for sure that it won't be mail order? I'm confused, because I was under the impression that Nail Polish, Etc will be taking payments for bottles and shipping them out. I was surprised, because I thought it said that the exclusives won't ever be available online which I took (probably wrongly) to mean no mail order. But if Nail Polish, Etc is selling and mailing 'em out then that puts Le Pink at a disadvantage because I spoke to the owner and she said they're just not able to do mail order at all.. So instead of making the trip to Silverlake to get the scents from her, some people on the west coast may just order from NPE. So I wonder what the policy is and whether NPE will be selling by phone/Paypal and shipping out?

I was confused as well when Shelldoo posted that. I thought that I could call Le Pink and order it by phone until I saw your post saying otherwise. :D If that's the case, I'll have to either order from NPE or have someone pick up some bottles at will call and send them to me. Or, I could just bribe my ex-husband to go to Silverlake and pick them up for me. :P

I'm just wondering whether they'll be available from NPE via mail order, because if so, that's probably how most people are going to get their hands on the product. Le Pink is a lovely little shop, but it'd be infintely more convenient for me to save the $5 bus fare and pay that for shipping.

Edited to make sure I'm not giving the impression I'm trying to arrange a swap outside of the swaps forum.

Edited by GypsyRoseRed

I could totally pick 'em up for you if that's the only way they're going to be available. I'm just wondering whether they'll be available from NPE via mail order, because if so, that's probably how most people are going to get their hands on the product. Le Pink is a lovely little shop, but it'd be infintely more convenient for me to save the $5 bus fare and pay that for shipping.

Aw, thank you, GRR. :P Since Shelldoo just posted about NPE being able to ship, that would be the way to go.

Wow, that is great, shell! BTW, lucky you but boy...you didn't stay out there long and taking what looks like a red-eye back, UGH! I am sure it was worth it though!

I posted this somewhere else, and I'm not sure if it's too early to ask, but...

I'm curious as to whether the new, non-Poe exclusive at DD will be GC or LE? And indeed, are the DD-exclusive Poe scents going to be GC or LE?

I also noticed on the announcement that 'no third party orders' will be allowed...what exactly does that mean? Does it really mean no more WC pickups for people who can't go to WC? :P

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I also noticed on the announcement that 'no third party orders' will be allowed...what exactly does that mean? Does it really mean no more WC pickups for people who can't go to WC? :P

That was my interpretation of it, yeah. :D

I take it as meaning you can't send payment to the lab for something before will-call then have a different person pick it up; you have to paypal the person directly for them to get something for you, or you have to come pick it up yourself.

I take it as meaning you can't send payment to the lab for something before will-call then have a different person pick it up; you have to paypal the person directly for them to get something for you, or you have to come pick it up yourself.

I really, really, really hope that is the case! I'd be very sad if will call purchases for people who can't attend are no longer allowed...

I *think* you guys are interpreting it correctly. When you think about it, paying for something and having a third party collect/ship it has the potential for badness which is why I've always been against doing will call pickup that way. Also, say someone's picking up for a bunch of people and those people all send the incorrect total or pay for things that aren't available.. It means A LOT of extra work for the Lab that's unneccessary.

GRR has a good point. Speculatively speaking: If a bunch of non-local forumites send in a slew of orders for one person to pick up could be very tricky for the Lab. The orders would probably be under the ordering person's name and not the pick up person's name. At pick-up time, confusion could result which the Lab staff would have to sort out. Whereas if an individual wants to organize a pick up and take the responsibility of all the funds, the order in its entirety and the organization of sending the bottles to the correct people, if there is a problem it falls to that person to sort out and not the Lab.

Exactly, andrabell. Also, I'm pretty sure that third parties picking up orders violates Paypal's ToS which dictate the exchange of goods or services for payment. Hypothetically, if something went missing in the mail on a third party pickup and the Lab had to be involved that's not only a huge PITA for them, but Paypal would try to obtain a refund from the Lab which is just wrong. This is just the right thing to do from the Lab's standpoint because it's protecting themselves and their customers.

Edited by GypsyRoseRed

So does that mean that pickups of any kind-even ones where you pay the person picking them up-are no longer allowed?

I usually pay the person who's willing to pick up something for me from willcall-only once have I been told to paypal the Lab for a willcall CP.

So does that mean that pickups of any kind-even ones where you pay the person picking them up-are no longer allowed?

I usually pay the person who's willing to pick up something for me from willcall-only once have I been told to paypal the Lab for a willcall CP.

I think that if you have an arrangement with someone and send them money, ultimately the lab will get the money from them and the lab will transfer the mdse. directly to them so the lab is dealing really only with them. So, that is not a third party sale. I hope that was clear, I'm in a rush - lol

I double-checked with the Lab to see if it was okay for me to do will call pickup the way I usually do it (with me placing one large order and organizing it all myself) and was told that's fine. :P

There are a few problems that we run into with third party orders at our warehouse events. Basically, we can no longer accept payments made directly to us for in-house pickup if the purchaser is not physically picking up the product themselves. If Harry places and order *directly with Black Phoenix* that he wants Jim to pick up (sending us the money with a note saying that someone else will be receiving the item(s) on his behalf), and Jim picks it up but doesn’t send it to Harry, the burden of the problem becomes Black Phoenix’s, as well as PayPal / CcNow. We lose the product, we lose the money, and Harry is not a happy guy. If Jim picks it up and does send it to Harry, but Harry says Jim never sent it, again… the burden falls on BPAL and the payment processor used. We lose the product, we lose the money, and Jim is not a happy guy. In both scenarios, the purchasers, as well as BPAL, are completely unprotected from any potential funnybusiness.

Though we can no longer accept third party payments in that fashion, we will still be able to honor orders placed in the same way decant circle orders are placed. If Greg wants to do a group pickup for a bunch of people, Greg has to collect the money on his end (again, in the vein of a decant circle), and place the single order for pickup himself. Once the product is in his hands, he is responsible for fulfilling his obligations.

We cannot accept pre-orders for discontinued scents that we will be offering at the Dark Delicacies event because they are being sold on a first-come basis.

I hope I’ve explained this well, and thank you for understanding. =) It is our responsibility to ensure that our customers are happy and insulated from as many potential problems as possible.

Thanks so much for the clarification Beth! So willcall pickups are still allowed after all-provided the person doesn't pay the lab, but the person picking them up! Glad that's been made clear. :P

My hope is that DD will sell the new exclusive scent on their website like they did the last one.

While I am here... how much loooooooonger 'til the WF Roswell has the Salons? I'm dying from a lack of Heavenly & Earthly love over here! :P

as a retailer i can say alot of hershey-ites are wearing bpal, that otherwise wouldn't neccesarily realize bpal is there, when they come in i show them what we have, and give out lab postcards, and tell them about the forums, it is win win w/ from my perspective, i promote the lab, they may order online, but then will calls are promoted to me in this area, so they come back...great big circle of love really.

It's also one of those annoying scents that smells like something I once wore, and therefore drove me crazy because I couldn't figure out what that other scent was. Does that happen to anyone else, or am I just nuts?

I had my aunt smell it and she said it smelled something like her Cache perfume she once had. Dunno how accurate this is. By that time it had already been on my skin for a few hours and was almost fading.