Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
supremegoddessofall

Who are the authorized resellers?

Oh geez. I live all of 45 minutes from Shelldoo's salon.

Hear that giant sucking noise? There goes any resolve I may have had to keep away from WillCalls...

ETA: Lychee?! Guh.... :P

Edited by tartchef

Holy crap! Not expected! Not expected at all! ARRRGGghHHHH!!!!

I feel really really lucky that I'm close enough to Hershey to stop by occasionally. Oh man.

Oh, how fabulous! These sound lovely, and now I DEFINATELY have an excuse to plan a trip to New York. I've been meaning to show the boy around the city I spent part of my childhood in, and now I can argue that we have to visit Pennsylvania as well. :P

This sounds like a brilliant business move for BPAL's retail partners.

They'll get more sales carrying these than they will stuff that's already available from the lab, that's for sure. I kinda see this as a reward/incentive for the retailers to carry the line, because the existing customer base will *have* to go to the retailer for these scents. And you know what that means... people walking out with 100 bottle group orders so they can send them out to all the retailess bpalers. If the retailers are only carrying scents available online then they won't get too much business from the existing customer base... we all usually order GC bottles with our lab orders during lunacy updates, etc.

That's just my thinking behind the reason for having retail-only products.

Really? Hmm.. I actually would've thought that BPALers who live near retail locations would be more likely to buy from the retail location than from the website - instant gratification, no shipping cost and all that (just in my own experience, I live by a LUSH store and so I always bought from there & never through mail order).

This is great for the retailers, not so great for those of us who don't live anywhere near the retailers. Now, if this is followed up with an announcement that all neighborhood corner stores will start carrying BPAL, that'd be pretty fantastic :P In the meantime though, I'll just keep an eye on the swaps boards for decant circles and CP offers and the like.

I wonder what the *reason* for having them be retail-only is?

I am never going to be able to get my hands on these (being UK-based and not exactly wealthy). Which is a bugger, because otherwise I would be buying several bottles of Lucifer unsniffed. *feels totally gutted*

Ditto on the Lucifer love and the gutted feeling knowing I'll never get my hands on it. I'm smack dab between the two with no hope getting either place...and haven't the funds for bribing others or buying on ebay.

Drat.

Mad kate looks awesome too.

I really wish there were more retail locations if the lab is going to do retail exclusives...

In the mean time, I'm hoping for decants. (Hear that coastal people?...)

Edited by kakiphony

This is great for the retailers, not so great for those of us who don't live anywhere near the retailers. Now, if this is followed up with an announcement that all neighborhood corner stores will start carrying BPAL, that'd be pretty fantastic :P

Heh, I can't be the only person who lives at a great distance from the Lab who actually has dreams like that....

This is great for the retailers, not so great for those of us who don't live anywhere near the retailers. Now, if this is followed up with an announcement that all neighborhood corner stores will start carrying BPAL, that'd be pretty fantastic :D

Heh, I can't be the only person who lives at a great distance from the Lab who actually has dreams like that....

You're not! I live in hope that one day Lush will start carrying BPAL! Not that that'll help much as I'm in the middle of bloody nowhere, but never mind eh...

Hang on, isn't Morrisons part of the Wal*Mart umbrella? :P

You're not! I live in hope that one day Lush will start carrying BPAL! Not that that'll help much as I'm in the middle of bloody nowhere, but never mind eh...

And you know, there's a Whole Foods in London now.... :D

They'll get more sales carrying these than they will stuff that's already available from the lab, that's for sure. I kinda see this as a reward/incentive for the retailers to carry the line, because the existing customer base will *have* to go to the retailer for these scents. And you know what that means... people walking out with 100 bottle group orders so they can send them out to all the retailess bpalers. If the retailers are only carrying scents available online then they won't get too much business from the existing customer base... we all usually order GC bottles with our lab orders during lunacy updates, etc.

That's just my thinking behind the reason for having retail-only products.

Good thinking, Myth. Also, these Salon exclusives are priced at $25, which, from what I've observed, is more than most old BPALers are willing to pay for a Salon bottle unsniffed. They (we?) buy decants first and then maaaaybe we'll get around to getting a bottle. It looks to me that the Salon series in general is very expensive (the most expensive) to produce and it needs to make more profit. The unaccustomed customer will see a great $25 perfume as a lovely and inexpensive gift and snap it up ASAP. Then they go on the site and discover more perfumes. It's a good way to get more regulars: get them with the highest quality goods you have and gain them as a regular customer when they take a look at the rest you have to offer.

Incidentally -- MODS: You moved this thread so I had to go lookin' for it when I tried to type up a reply and got told the thread was kaput. Any particular reason? Would there be a problem starting a thread to discuss these in the BPAL Chatter area?

Incidentally -- MODS: You moved this thread so I had to go lookin' for it when I tried to type up a reply and got told the thread was kaput. Any particular reason? Would there be a problem starting a thread to discuss these in the BPAL Chatter area?

I didn't move it just to make things difficult for you, I moved it because this thread is for discussion of the authorized retailers in general...and we don't need two. Whole foods has its own thread for discussion specific to that store's lines, and Nailpolish Etc has the ECWC thread for discussion specific to that store and its events. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss it further. :P

Still sad, though. *hopes for decant circles etc*

It'll just take maybe a little more leg-work. And that adds to the excitement doesn't it? :D

Or irritation, depending on one's attitude. I guess mine's kinda bad. But I think I understand the strategy of making these retail-only, at least the way myth explained it, anyway. And I'll get over it as long as I can get in on a decant circle at some point, because they sound amazing. I just don't want to have to pester east coasters or wheedle and beg on the swap forums. I'm both lazy and cranky :P

Edited by Inanna9

I don't mind it being merged but I had to really go looking for it, too. I went to take a shower and when I came back the thread was gone. I thought I was losing my mind. :P

I don't mind it being merged but I had to really go looking for it, too. I went to take a shower and when I came back the thread was gone. I thought I was losing my mind. :P

Maybe one of the mods could put a placeholder post in the old location or something, to direct people here?

Really? Hmm.. I actually would've thought that BPALers who live near retail locations would be more likely to buy from the retail location than from the website - instant gratification, no shipping cost and all that (just in my own experience, I live by a LUSH store and so I always bought from there & never through mail order).

Well, I'm just speaking for myself here, but I live in Atlanta and even driving just a few miles can take 30 minutes or more. I haven't been by the Whole Foods location; it's not that close to me and isn't anywhere that I happen to be most of the time. If I wanted something they carried I'd just order it from the lab with a lunacy order. I'm too lazy to go driving, I'd buy groceries online if I could!

But... if the WF in Roswell gets these Salons, I'm there. So I was just basing my theory on my own dislike of going anywhere when I don't absolutely have to. :P

I didn't move it just to make things difficult for you, I moved it because this thread is for discussion of the authorized retailers in general...and we don't need two. Whole foods has its own thread for discussion specific to that store's lines, and Nailpolish Etc has the ECWC thread for discussion specific to that store and its events. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss it further. :P

LOL! I didn't think you were trying to make it inconvenient! Perish the thought, girl. Shoot. If I made a "Authorized Resellers Chatter" topic in BPAL Chatter, would that be cool? I like having a place to chatter, because this thread's more chatter than FAQ.

And you know, there's a Whole Foods in London now.... :D

I thought it was Asda that was bought up by Walmart, not Morrisons...and Asda's the closest supermarket to my uni *hides* I shop there out of necessity and student budgets, not choice!

I dunno, I'm cool with the idea of exclusive scents even if they are way out of my league...to me, this is like the Dark Delicacies exclusive, except there's more than one scent. Although DD is available online (not sure if they ship overseas) and these are not. But I don't think I'm being cheated, or that it's greedy, or that the Lab are purposely making some blends to tease the people who don't live nearby. I don't think it's like that at all. I like Myth's reasoning about it. They seem easier to obtain that the Convergence/Bat's Day/Intergalactic exclusive scents and I suppose swaps, decants, CPs etc can be made. And the retailers will benefit hugely.

Is there official word over whether these are GC or LE?

I didn't move it just to make things difficult for you, I moved it because this thread is for discussion of the authorized retailers in general...and we don't need two. Whole foods has its own thread for discussion specific to that store's lines, and Nailpolish Etc has the ECWC thread for discussion specific to that store and its events. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss it further. :D

LOL! I didn't think you were trying to make it inconvenient! Perish the thought, girl. Shoot. If I made a "Authorized Resellers Chatter" topic in BPAL Chatter, would that be cool? I like having a place to chatter, because this thread's more chatter than FAQ.

Well, if you do, I'll probably merge it back up with this thread, since the topic fits. :P Don't let it being here make you feel you can't chatter away, though! Lots of FAQ topics contain chatter that's mostly F and notsomuch Q. :D

Maybe one of the mods could put a placeholder post in the old location or something, to direct people here?

The software doesn't do placeholders for merged topics. There have been a few times I've done it manually*, but it's a big pain in the ass.

*And when I say manually, I mean literally writing about a dozen SQL statements in the database by the time everything's said and done.

The link provided in the announcements doesn't work for me (for whatever reason) so I went hunting for info about Le Pink Apothecary and found this. Now I really want to go and not just for the BPAL, it looks gorgeous!

Edited by Dianella

But I think that actually, there aren't that many BPALers who live near retail locations - b/c the Lab isn't an open-for-business store, right? Shelldoo sells the GC in Hershey, and they'd just added Harry's Whole Foods in Georgia, but that's not a lot of retailers. And so the only chance most people get to buy direct is in Will Calls, and while I know that people here who live close enough definitely go to/buy from Will Calls, that's only once a month, so I think the vast majority of the lab's business has to be mail order. Especially when you figure that retailers don't carry LEs (except at Will Calls). So this way, yeah, the Lab does encourage retailers to carry the line by giving people a reason to go to these spaces rather than tack on GC bottles to an LE order.

Not that I'm not bummed that I don't live anywhere near LA or Hershey!

But I think that actually, there aren't that many BPALers who live near retail locations - b/c the Lab isn't an open-for-business store, right? Shelldoo sells the GC in Hershey, and they'd just added Harry's Whole Foods in Georgia, but that's not a lot of retailers. And so the only chance most people get to buy direct is in Will Calls, and while I know that people here who live close enough definitely go to/buy from Will Calls, that's only once a month, so I think the vast majority of the lab's business has to be mail order. Especially when you figure that retailers don't carry LEs (except at Will Calls). So this way, yeah, the Lab does encourage retailers to carry the line by giving people a reason to go to these spaces rather than tack on GC bottles to an LE order.

Not that I'm not bummed that I don't live anywhere near LA or Hershey!

Oh, maybe I wasn't very clear when I said that! I know there aren't many BPALers who live near the retail locations since there are only 2 places that people can go. But I was assuming (based on my personal experience living near non-BPAL retail stores that are popular through mail order) that for those people who live near one of the retail stores - even though there aren't many - they would be likely to go to those stores to buy what they carry instead of going through mail order.

(in other words, if I lived near Shelldoo's shop, she'd probably have to forcibly peel me away from the shelves and kick me out at closing time :P) I would be more inclined to go to a BPAL store than through mail order given the opportunity - I like the instant gratification of going through a retail store! So all I meant was that I was wondering if BPALers even needed more of an incentive to go to a store that carries BPAL - the fact that it'd carry any BPAL is all the incentive I think a lot of us would need, judging by the squees in the thread when the Georgia Whole Foods became a seller of even a few GCs!

I hope that makes more sense :D

Can anyone shed some light on what the process is for a shop to become an authorized reseller?

Because I'd like to approach a nearby store and see if they'd like to sell BPAL. Purely for selfish reasons! :P

Can anyone shed some light on what the process is for a shop to become an authorized reseller?

Because I'd like to approach a nearby store and see if they'd like to sell BPAL. Purely for selfish reasons! :P

I'm with you on that. *sigh* I have a friend that owns a consignment botique and she fell in love with Bpal (and Possets) and would love to have them in store.