Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
supremegoddessofall

Who are the authorized resellers?

I am the owner of Posh Brats and it's not that we DON'T care about the regulations of not selling online. We chose to liquidate our stock that had been sitting untouched in our shop for months and we let BPAL know that this was being done and the reasons.

With the current economy and as a new business...we cannot afford to spend thousands to stock something that just didn't sell.

BPAL did offer to take back the inventory but that would have been at a much greater loss to us due to the USD/GBP conversion rates being a full .40 lower per unit than when we purchased the items...plus shipping.

Sadly it made more sense for us to liquidate the stock on ebay and allow a few folks to get quite good deals regarding shipping from the UK as opposed to having to pay US rates.

At least this way we managed to make back some of our initial investment. It's not a perfect world but the fact was the average British consumer in this area couldn't seem to get their head around that the product was superior to anything they could get on the High Street in big fancy bottles. Thus it just sat and gathered dust....

My reason for posting this was just to let everyone know WHY. We bear absolutely no ill will about the matter and I will continue to be a personal BPAL addict. It broke my heart that this didn't work out.

Thanks,

Brittany

www.poshbrats.com

Thank you for clarifying your position, Brittany.

A question.... "We bear absolutely no ill will about the matter." Is this mutual? I would be reassured to know that the Lab are also happy with the situation.

I'm sorry that the venture didn't work out. :(

Thank you for clarifying your position, Brittany.

A question.... "We bear absolutely no ill will about the matter." Is this mutual? I would be reassured to know that the Lab are also happy with the situation.

I'm sorry that the venture didn't work out. :(

Hello,

I imagine it is mutual. I've had no reason to think otherwise.

My only reason for that statement was so that people wouldn't think it was for some horrible reason other than us not being successful at the venture. We didn't wish to give an impression that it was a nasty parting.

Thanks!

Brittany

Quick Q - does the Whole Foods in Chapel Hill still carry BPAL, and if so, does it have the retailer Salon exclusives?

(We'll be down there soon - packing as I type!)

Hmmm, I have a question... we're headed to SoCal this weekend for a car show, and I was hoping to swing by either (or both) Dark Delicacies & Le Pink. On the Lab website, I clicked on a link on the Retail section, and it lists some scents - but in the reviews on the forum, some of these are LEs... are they no longer available at Dark Delicacies?

And are the ones listed for Le Pink correct?

I'm really confused :think:

Edited by Molls

We did get to both retailers (because my b/f is awesome) :wub2:

At Dark Delicacies, they had all the scents listed on their website, plus a few leftovers from B Movies and the Poe Collection. The owners were wonderful - so friendly and sweet...

At Le Pink, she had much more than what I expected... the Traveling Exhibition Salons, plus some GC scents, plus some Yule leftovers. I was able to sniff Wezwanie/Hold, but unfortunately she was out of Haloes and Mad Kate...

It is in violation of the lab's policies for any of our retailers to sell our products online. Posh Brats is aware of this, but is currently liquidating their product and don't care. Unfortunately that leaves us with no UK retailer once again.

This might answer a question I asked in another thread, which was about the Perfumed Court, which has decants of BPAL for sale. I know they aren't an official BPAL retailer, but it seems to me then that they really ARE NOT supposed to be selling decants of BPAL scents on a retail site....

Or is it ok? I'm guessing not, but admit I'm not sure.

I'm kind of sorry I didn't think about this sooner, because I just spent some $ buying CB I Hate perfume decants from them, then realized, huh, are they even supposed to be doing this, with CB or anyone else? Then when I saw the BPAL on there I began to think probably not...And then I wished I hadn't supported their business... :blush:

Hmm, so I have a question..

I was at Conestoga today (Saturday), and in their dealer's room, I saw that someone was selling BPAL. Not as their main product, but in there among the rest of their necklaces, mortars and pestles, and books. They had about six 5ml bottles out, and maybe 25 imps in a bowl. The 5mls were marked at $20, and the imps as $5 each. At first I was gleefully excited, and began sniffing like mad, because most of these I hadn't sniffed before - and there were some Carnival Diaboliques there! But then I realized.. I hadn't heard anything about the Lab coming to Conestoga - and it seemed like a very small selection for the Lab to bring. So was this an authorized reseller (I'm afraid I can't recall the name of the seller - they didn't really have signs, just stands), or someone selling off their stash? And was it allowed?

(I was saving my money for booksbooksbooks anyway, and didn't fall head-over-heels for any of the scents there, as well as being dubious about the.. legality of it, I suppose? So I didn't make any purchases.)

Nope, definitely not authorized. If the lab were vending you would hear about it here, and we would never mark up the prices.

Hmmm...guess this pretty much answers my question about the Perfumed Court too....here is where they are selling decants.

I wish I hadn't supported this business, but too late now. I won't, however, buy again.

Hmmm...guess this pretty much answers my question about the Perfumed Court too....here is where they are selling decants.

I wish I hadn't supported this business, but too late now. I won't, however, buy again.

not to mention that the Illustrated Woman isn't "rare" - Weird.

I'm pretty horrified about the price---48.00 for eight imps?????

I'm pretty horrified about the price---48.00 for eight imps?????

Not to mention, they shouldn't be calling them "imps" if they are LE scents. I'm not chastising you for using "imps", oceandreamer, I know we say it a lot around here. I'm just saying if they were authorized sellers they should know that.

[i know it sounds knit-picky, but it's something that the lab is pretty clear about, and it has been brought up in the past]

Does anyone know if any of the whole foods or other stores in the bay area sell bpal? I'm in San Francisco today only and would love to grab a bottle

If The Perfumed Court isn't authorized to sell BPAL, and I think it's established that the owners don't want unapproved sellers to do that...why are they doing it? I've heard mention of BPAL lawyers, wouldn't they just send off a cease and desist letter?

We did get to both retailers (because my b/f is awesome) :wub2:

At Dark Delicacies, they had all the scents listed on their website, plus a few leftovers from B Movies and the Poe Collection. The owners were wonderful - so friendly and sweet...

At Le Pink, she had much more than what I expected... the Traveling Exhibition Salons, plus some GC scents, plus some Yule leftovers. I was able to sniff Wezwanie/Hold, but unfortunately she was out of Haloes and Mad Kate...

I realize this is way late, but my understanding: The Dark Delicacies things are LEs, so they're only available for a limited amount of time (I think only so much is made, and then they sell through it until it's gone, rather than the Lab's LEs that are available for a certain amount of time, and you can pretty much order to your heart's content until that time is up). The retail-only Salons are basically GCs, not limited to a certain amount of time, although the one time I made it to Le Pink and had a list of the RO Salons I wanted, they were out of everything on my list, and I already had all of the non-RO GCs they had. It was a sad day, although then I went to DD and got *way* too many Poes (and a signed copy of _The Descent_) since I had not blown my budget and carry-on space at Le Pink.

I would like to go to Healthy Living Market and check out the stuff, but it's a bit of a drive.

So, what do they carry? How big is their selection? And... Do they still carry bpal? :)

IIRC the key contact person at Healthy Living is also a forum member but for the life of me I can't remember her name! I will take a peek around and see if I can jog my memory - if I can't find it and no one else pipes up, you might just want to call them. This is the contact info from the first page of the thread.

Healthy Living Market

222 Dorset Street

South Burlington VT 05403

(802) 863-2569

I would like to go to Healthy Living Market and check out the stuff, but it's a bit of a drive.

So, what do they carry? How big is their selection? And... Do they still carry bpal? :)

:wave: I pm'd you! check your box

Just visited Le Pink yesterday, and picked up a bottle each of Mad Kate and La Vague. There were testers for everything, I'm sorry I didn't write down what they had when I was there, so here goes...

They have a bunch of the traveling salons, of course, but no Haloes right now, boo hoo. They have Plastic Pink Flamingo and Lawn Gnome, and also Gelt and Midnight Mass from last year's Yule LEs. There were a few more that I cannot remember, though I'm sure you can call to find out what's there before going.

They had just a few GCs: Absinthe, Snake Oil, and Black Pearl (I think), to name a few. GCs were $18 (whew!), and salons were $25. Yay!

I was looking at the GC items in the Amazon store. There are only a few oils - do they cycle through the GC? Or if you want something that isn't listed, can you request it?

The Amazon orders are processed by BPTP, which is a different physical premises and shipping queue from BPAL, so if you want GCs not offered on Amazon, AFAIK you'll have to order them directly from BPAL.