Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

Shoggoth

It was a terrible, indescribable thing vaster than any subway train – a shapeless congerie of protoplasmic bubbles, faintly self-luminous, and with myriads of temporary eyes forming and un-forming as pustules of greenish light all over the tunnel-filling front that bore down upon us, crushing the frantic penguins and slithering over the glistening floor that it and its kind had swept so evilly free of all litter.

An amorphous, radiant, incandescent scent. Ever changing, protoplasmic and primordial: white amber, green coconut meat, iris, palmarosa, Chinese peony, lime, water lily, snowdrop, muguet, lemongrass, osmanthus, wisteria, glassy musk, and hinoki.

BPALShoggothjpg.jpg
In the bottle
Citrussy. Lime and very light florals
On
Lemon and lime. I don't pick up any coconut (thank goodness) nor musk. The florals are suprisingly tame.
30 minutes
The lemongrass amps up beautifully. Either my nose has called it a day, or all the ingredients blend so well that I can't pick the out.
Throw:
no
Scent category:
Citrus/Floral and slightly Resinous/Animalistic
Summary
It's not a sweet blend. Shoggoth reminds me of TAL's "Milk and Honey", with it's light lemony fresh air scent.
Purchase again?
Yes
1-5 rating (5 being best)
4.5 Edited by Shollin

In the Bottle: Lime, maybe ginger scent with a light floral hiding.

Wet on Skin: Still lime and now more floral- maybe a creamier scent beginning. That may be the green coconut. It is wonderful!

On the Drydown: A creamy lime coconut floral. I can smell what may be the wisteria and muguet. Not a large throw. The citrus note fades as citrus does- so I am hoping that the floral part stays with the coconut. And so far after several hours it seems to be hanging in there. I am well pleased.

I adore this one and I need more.

Yea!

LushieJane

In Bottle: Sweet and citrus

On Skin: I get a lemon-lime feel at first from the lemongrass and lime, but then it becomes deeper and more complex. I smell planty notes and soft florals... the florals are so well blended it is hard to pick them each out individually. The coconut meat is interesting because it isn’t as sweet as normal, but still ads a creamy feeling. The amber gives it depth and a bit of a powdery edge and the musk also adds to the depth in a sexy way. I do get a TAL “Milk and Honey” feel from this, very comforting with a sweet/sour feel. I like this scent and think it will catch people’s attention. I consider it alive and bright, different from all the Fall and Halloween blends I’ve been reviewing lately. This has a Picnic feel for sure. Light throw and average to long wearlength.

It does smell citrusy, with a hint of floral and something very faint behind it that reminds me of some medicine. This may actually be the coconut meat.

I am waiting for the amber to show up once it dries.

It is a very interesting scent. I will see whether I need a bottle, but I am holding on to my imp. Very versatile - of course, being protoplasmic and all...

Out of the bottle its mostly lemon and lime, mostly lime. Maybe some florals, but I couldn't pick them out to save my life. This actually reminds me a lot of Embalming Fluid when its wet. Then it cools down a lot to a more mellow citrus and the florals begin to take their place. I'm not too good at picking out notes but I'd say it was the lily. Fresh, very fresh, green coconut is starting to come out along with some kind of muskiness and the tiniest bit of amber. Its very strong on me, and it stays very strong for quite awhile. I put it on an hour ago and its still as strong as when I first put it on, but not as in-your-face, it doesn't seem as if it wants to go away anytime soon. But that could just be my chemistry since it really amplifies any citrus-type blends. Its a very fresh blend, I'll probably order a bottle come Christmas.

Shoggoth

In the imp: lemongrass, lime, and a hint of coconut. A refreshing and sweet scent.

Wet on skin: lemongrass, lime, coconut and something sweet..

Dry on skin: this is so gorgeous. It does remind me of TAL Milk and Honey, but also of the Carnaval Diabolique scent. This is the lighter version of CD. It has a citrus scent of lemongrass and lime (the lemongrass is prominent but isn't as aggressive as usual) with a creamy coconut base, with hints of light musk and floral notes underneath. The green coconut note, so different to the usual coconut scent (greener, creamier and fresher, with a coconut water scent to it) has a lot of throw. This scent brings to mind Thailand, I think, with its lemongrass and coconut scent.

After a while: eventually the lemongrass loses it's grip on the scent (whilst still lingering), letting the other notes through. I now can smell the white, gentle flowers, I can't pick out the individual notes (I think I can smell green-tinged spring flowers though), but the sweet creamy green coconut is still there. I can't make out the amber here but then again I'm not familiar with 'white amber'. It may be that lovely sweet note I smell here, though.

But then, I smell the most wonderful sweet floral scent after a few hours. It seems like the scent has settled into a gorgeous scent of soft floral notes (I think I get waterlily?), the coconut, a hint of the lemongrass, and the amber. Is this the white amber I'm smelling now? If so, then holy hot diggity damn, this white amber stuff is so good. It seems almost like delicious nougat or marshmallow, a sweet of some kind. Very well blended and balanced. White and fluffy and dusted with pink and green.

Verdict: when I first saw this scent's note description, the words that popped into my head were 'iridescent pastel'. And this scent definitely is iridescent and pastel coloured. Baby pinks, pale greens, primrose yellow and pale violet in a swirl of shimmery white. This scent is the lighter, daintier version of the darker Carnaval Diabolique, but with a gentler mix of springy floral notes and gentle amber replacing the opium-musk laced flowers of CD. The lemongrass is initially very strong but it does fade away over time to let the other notes out. The coconut is the star of the scent though, a fresher coconut meat note which has a lot of throw. Then the flowers and amber mix at the end to form a delightful finale of sweet fluffiness. This also seems to have a similar feel to Hungry Ghost Moon, without smelling identical-it's a complex 'citrus and sweetness' scent. Very unique and different. I think I'll be getting more of this for spring.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Oh yes. I need a bottle soon, maybe for the warmer months.

If you like this, try: Carnaval Diabolique, Hungry Ghost Moon, Namaste, Snow White

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Shoggoth is quite a refreshing pick-me-up scent! My skin amps up the lemongrass so much that the other notes get lost at first, but it's a more pleasant lemongrass aroma than I got from Phobos, and it's slightly sweeter. It doesn't have a lot of throw, but it's really beautiful, and it reminds me of my beloved Avobath from Lush.

After it dries, the coconut and florals come out, but they are very subtle. The coconut doesn't turn to plastic, and the florals don't overwhelm. This is a great new scent, and I'll definitely keep my imp for further use!

How do you create a shoggoth? You put the lime in the coconut and ...run like hell!

This is a sweet, fun, tropical scent that makes conjures up images of an amorphous, protoplasmic monster sipping margaritas on the beach. Next to High Priest, it's my favorite of the new PIA oils.

I love anything with coconut so I ordered an entire bottle of Shoggoth right from the get-go. And I'm not sorry. This is wonderful stuff. It smells like some amazing, exotic tropical drink I'd get on vacation and then never be able to recreate again because the ingredients were local and fresh and the feeling I had when I drank it of looking out over some fantastically bizarre and life-changing multicolored sunset was irreproducible.

I smell the lime and lemongrass, yet this is not overwhelmingly citrus to me. I smell the iris, snopdrop, muguet, peony, osmanthus, and wisteria, yet this is not overwhelmingly floral. The coconut is detectable, yet it doesn't telegraph coconut or smell like a day at the beach. There's musk, but it's light and warm and lovely. It's just this wonderful, gracious balance between all of these elements and it's making me feel like I've been away somewhere slower and more sensory. Like coming back from vacation and having warmer blood in my veins and a feeling of receptivity. I'll really enjoy my bottle of this.

Yum! Lime sugar! I catch the faintest hint of lemongrass. But it's mostly a very fresh lime slice. This a very happy Shoggoth. Kind of like the plushy Cthulhu toys.

ADDED May 3:

This was interesting. When I got my imp - it was lime and some unidentifiable undernotes. I was underwhelmed. However, I'm a big Lovecraft fan so I hung on to it. It's been a few months and I took it out again today and WOW COCONUT! This smells like a whole new scent after aging. I'll be thinking about a bottle now.

in the imp it reminds me of key lime pie, with a touch of coconut...it gives me a cool, yellow-green, creamy feeling - refreshing - would be good for summer. on my skin, there's something a bit weird at first...plasticky or dusty or something...the coconut vanishes, and the florals start to emerge...they are light, pretty florals, and it almost reminds me of enraged bunny musk, in its lemony-floral springlike way. i wish the green coconut was a little more present here, but still, it's a nice, light refreshing scent which would especially be good for spring or summer.

This smells like...well...lemon Pledge . Seriously.

Not the scent for me.

It's sweet. Like...sickly sweet. Plus cleaning fluid. >_< Nasty.

This smells like...well...lemon Pledge . Seriously.

Not the scent for me.

I have to concur.

Shoggoth is mostly lemongrass with hints of coconut and soapy, watery lily. I was hoping that the lime note would make an appearance, but it never does. This is mostly just a soapy, herbal lemon smell on me. Sad :(

Edited by Little Bird

I've really been itching to try this -- I love the imagery, the greenish light, the FRANTIC PENGUINS!!! Though I do not enjoy coconut, the phrase "green coconut meat" is worth the price of admission.

So, having tried a sniff of this, I love it! I don't know that it's something I'd wear -- if I could use it in a bath bomb or other bath thing maybe, since this kind of scent evaporates on me instantly.

I love lime, and there is a hint of that sort of key lime pie scent in here as others have remarked. Not lemon, definitely lime, but a light lime, sort of frothy and clear. Big foaming heaps of lime-coconut bubbles. The coconut is indeed "green" and I don't know how else to describe it. Makes me think of a tender green shoot of some sort, with the delicate frosting of faint coconut, than the unpleasant thick headache-inducing foody one.

I should tuck an imp of this away in case I ever get around to scenting plain bath products, my taste in the shower is completely different from my taste on my skin!

Edited by sarada

In the imp: Oh, wow, such an awesomely bright citrus scent. Not candyish, but sharp and sweet and sparkly to my nose.

On me, wet: citrus and coconut and maybe some light florals. Sweeter than in the imp, but lovely.

On me, dry: hmm, something in this doesn't like me - there's a powdery floral scent and an icky urine scent here, and the two together are all that's left. Where did my lime and coconut go?

Verdict: Sigh, my skin killed it. Fie, away with it.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Lemon soap.

In the imp: Peony, sugary lime, and lemongrass. The latter could be trouble, but I'm trying to be optimistic. :P

On skin, wet: Alas, lemongrass. Beneath that, a note I am most certainly not a fan of, I detect coconut and musk — unfortunately, I barely detect them.

On skin, dry: Lemongrass is a horrible note for me: almost always without fail it can turn an otherwise perfectly-wonderful blend into Lemon Pledge or a horribly-sugary lemon drop. In this case, it scoops up the lime, water lily and other floral notes, mashes them together with itself, and presents me with a practically sudsy lemon soap. It lingers for about three hours before fading away completely, and the soapy quality just never lets up.

Conclusion/Notes: What other conclusion can I possibly come to, other than that lemongrass is evil? Evil! Ruiner of blends, that note.

imp: lemon! WHOAH LEMON

finger: lemon and lime. reminds me of the first stage of Carnaval Diabolique gonna let this one dry a little.

before this even hits through the stages i can tell i like it. i love lemon, and for some reason it does NOT go lemon pledge/sol/soap/whatever on me often. *knocks on wood*

the only problem i've had is gamaliel sometimes goes a little powdery on me but i think that's musk, not lemon. :P

I was a bit afraid of smelling like a protoplasmic creature full of pustules, but the notes sounded delightful, so I decided to give it a go.

In the vial: lime and perhaps lemongrass.

Wet: lime is still the dominant note, but the peony is starting to come out.

Dry: finally the green coconut is coming out and perhaps the musk. This is a citrus, tropical floral scent that is grounded by something dark and sinister. I will keep my imp and may order a bottle for warm weather use.

I get lemon and coconut, similar to Carnival Diabolique, only a bit sweeter and untempered. Too sweet on me, I'm afraid - I am going to blame the white amber. Very smooth, though.

Poor penguins!

Edited by maribouquet

In the imp: Yar...Lemony limey sugar. Yum!

Wet: Holy moley with the Lemon Pledge. Ick.

Drydown/dry: The lemon and lime fall back a bit and let the florals through. There is a creaminess underneath that must be that green coconut. Every time I smell my wrist I get something new. Sometimes all soft floral, sometimes coconut, sometimes yellow green citrus. "Ever changing, protoplasmic and primordial" indeed!

I like this. I will definitely use up the imp, and may consider ordering a big bottle. I think this will be even nicer in warm weather.

Mmm. Citrus, clean and very sweet. A hint of flowers behind it, but mostly citrus. There's an aura of warmth around it, and a bit of musk, which bloom over time. The sweetness fades, but only a little. This is pretty, though I keep wanting to compare it to bath gel.

i instantly smell the lime of tarot: the star mixed with light, watery florals. this reminds me a lot of the star, but this is more watery/floral, and the star is sweeter and fizzier. i really like this scent in the beginning, but after awhile i get a sour-floral smell, which i think may be the iris as sometimes it can be bad with my skin chemistry. luckily the sourness fades and it ends up a beautiful sweet floral with lime with a base of white amber.

Edited by theseagrows