Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

Shoggoth

An amorphous, radiant, incandescent scent. Ever changing, protoplasmic and primordial: white amber, green coconut meat, iris, palmarosa, Chinese peony, lime, water lily, snowdrop, muguet, lemongrass, osmanthus, wisteria, glassy musk, and hinoki.

Starts strong with a blast of crystallized coconut, lime, and amber! A strange, citrusy, fuzzy scent. Reminds me of the wet stage of Fake News.

In the imp: A very gentle lemon drop scent. By "gentle," I mean that the lemon isn't overly tart, but it's also not super sugary. 

On my skin:

Wet, the sweet citrus continues, except now I can pick out that it's lime. I can also pick out peony, water lily, and wisteria. As it dries, some of the coconut meat comes out, and I wonder if that creaminess is what's contributing to my impression of this as a "soft" citrus candy scent. Given time to develop on my skin, the amber also surfaces. The resin isn't bad, but its smell is somewhat incongruous with the mostly foody vibe Shoggoth has had so far. 

Approximately an hour after application, the amber strengthens to become the main note, so it's an amber base wrapped in coconut lime. And I'm not really sure about this. On the one hand, while I like both amber and coconut-lime, I am not certain these are two great tastes that taste great together. On the other, the amber is a super great fixative on me; any other coconut-lime blend would have disappeared on me by now. 

I'll probably end up swapping this -- it's just too different for me to see myself using it regularly -- but I'm glad I got to try it. 

Had this scent since 2018. I prefer wearing it during the Summer. Makes me think of hot nights cooled down by midnight showers. Even smells like the morning dew/fresh morning air to me. It's a bright, bubbly, & shiny smell. I get the lemongrass first, then peony, & coconut. The rest comes out after it dries.

Edited by Rane.

A bright, sugary pop of citrus, almost bubble-gummy.  The florals peak around at the edges though, hinting at complexity and keeping this out of pure confection territory.  The lemongrass starts to go sour on my skin -- of course.  Boo for chemistry.  It kind of wafts in and out of the fragrance, especially if I sniff my skin up close.  When the sourness is not rearing its ugly head, I get a very pretty, well balanced citrus floral that is light, young, and cheery rather than zesty and astringent like citrus often is.  I can make out the peony and the lily of the valley (which manages not to go soapy here).  The florals I think of as heavier, the iris and wisteria, I don't really get.  Shoggoth smells like it could be sweet floral punch served at a summer tea party.

If you like bright florals, citrus, or candy like scents, I would try this.  

In the bottle: creamy coconut, a thick haze of florals, and some light juicy green notes. 

Wet: the coconut is softer, the florals a bit headier and I get a tiny bit of aquatic freshness and lime. 

Dry: definitely get that white amber base, sweet and warm, helping meld all the notes. I can't pick out the coconut very well anymore, it sort of wafts in and out. The florals are hard to pick apart, they're soft and humid, very light headiness wafting around. I can pick out the lemongrass and lime brightening the scent. It's gorgeous, a bubbly yet sophisticated tropical beach scent. 

To begin with I smell lime and white musk. I'm not a fan of white musk, but it isn't too strong at this point. After a minute there's coconut, then the lime gives way to lemongrass. It changes fast to begin with! It's bright and effervescent. At this point I can't detect any florals, but a little later it's lime, lemongrass, and subtle white flowers. Thankfully white musk stays in the background. Several minutes later there's something a little woody that gives it more depth. It's really nice at this point, but it doesn't last. After half an hour the white musk is beginning to torment me again. It's not awful but I wish it wasn't so strong. 

Hours later, everything but the white musk has faded. I think it's an essential element of the scent, but I just don't get on with it! For that reason it's not one of my favourites, but I like it enough to wear occasionally. And I really like the way it changes.