Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

Shoggoth

An amorphous, radiant, incandescent scent. Ever changing, protoplasmic and primordial: white amber, green coconut meat, iris, palmarosa, Chinese peony, lime, water lily, snowdrop, muguet, lemongrass, osmanthus, wisteria, glassy musk, and hinoki.

In the imp, this is a mix of the flowers with the lemongrass over top - sharp but sweet.

On my skin, it's a strange, bright, alien smell - the lightness and edge of the lemongrass, the headiness of the florals, the citrus bite of the lime - definitely interesting.

When it's dry, it's very interesting, cool scent - it's very well-blended. It's not for me, but someone else will really dig this.

This is green and glowing, alien-like. This is a complex mix of florals and notes that are swept over by a yellow-green lemongrass and a touch of aquatic.

In the bottle: Coconut, amber, iris, muguet, wisteria. Sweet and sickly floral.

Wet: The coconut really does smell very green and fresh, but still nutty and smooth - I like it. That white amber is sharp, as is wisteria. I can get a little citrusy lemongrass which cuts through everything, and hints of smooth osmanthus and delicate peony. As usual, no lime.

Dry: Dries very quickly, softening. The palmarosa appears, and along with the lemongrass, is balancing the sweet coconut. Peony and osmanthus amp, thankfully, and I think I smell some snowdrop, it's a fresh floral note. Hint of powdery wisteria; the heady iris and muguet are there but distant.

Later: What a morpher - the only really constant note here is the coconut. Lemongrass has faded, muguet and amber have amped, and a woody note, that's sort of citrusy and cedary? It's too dry for my tastes, but the actual scent is pleasant. Osmanthus is distant, but still gorgeous and honeyed.

Summary: Sweet-fresh coconut, that dry citrusy woody hinoki, powdery wisteria, some heady iris and muguet, faint peony and a touch of golden, lilting osmanthus. Not nearly as bad as I imagined it would be, but too sweet and heady for me. Great throw, great lasting power. Feminine.

For some reason, this smells like a "poor woman's" version of Carnaval Diabolique to me. I am not sure why, but when I put it on, I just want to go put on "the real thing" of Carnaval Diabloique. Maybe the slight hint of lemon?

Wow, very strong when wet! Is that the lemongrass or the lime at full strength? As it dries it becomes softer, but is still a sharp scent. I guess it is the lime after all that is standing out because this reminds me of the green lime Runts candy. Sourrrr (yet slightly sweet). I'll keep this around for a little while as a pick-me-up scent.

Bottle: Citrus

Wet: Citrus and floral, some lemongrass.

Drydown: I'd love this, if the floral didn't amp on me. Sigh.

2.5 outta 5

Imp from a friend

Imp: Light Floral with hints of citrus in the

background. Swampy light floral

Wet On Me: Can't put my finger on it. Barest

coconut, green & floral

Drying Down: Aquatic green & floral with coconut.

Dry: This gets heavier as it dries. Swampy,

herbal-y floral with something slightly disturbing lying

underneath

This is nice. I'll keep the imp.

In the bottle, it has a licorice-y smell, but on me, it smells musky and complex, with a pleasant citrus note. Nice.

Despite the complex note list, all I seem to be getting is the lemongrass. And more then grass, it smells like lemon scented dishwashing detergent. It sounds like a gorgeous scent, I wish it liked me more. Swap it is.

First off... wow. This scent is phenomenal, most especially when still wet on skin: amorphous, radiant, incandescent: very good descriptors! This is like... pale and luminous green-yellow sunlight dancing through electric green spring leaves. Cheerful & silly.

In the imp: lime and lemongrass and a hint of lightly sweet florals.

Wet: lime, green coconut (HOW?!), pale flowers that I can't distinguish, lemongrass.

Dry: wow, this softens out and the throw goes from good to middle very quickly; the lime holds on, lemongrass amps a bit, the musk and hinoki come out, and there is still a hint of that amazing green coconut. Repeated deep sniffs detect the peony. I don't think I know what half the other flowers actually smell like other than muguet, so... I need to get myself some single note sniffs at a local aromatherapy counter because I know I'm losing the details on a lot of the BPAL blends thanks to my floral ignorance.

Far drydown: lime amber hinoki slightly spicy-sweet floral. No one smell takes over, so it's extra-fricking awesome for being continually fascinating to smell.

I have found that most green scents turn soapy/irritating on me, but this one is an exception and a keeper. It's fantastic! I'd wear it when I need to remind myself not to take myself seriously, because it's definitely playful and fun.

Whoa. Fascinating scent. I don't have the most experienced nose (I'm getting better!), but the scents that I pick out most are the coconut and the water with the florals just barely touching the surface. Something else I can't identify...maybe ambergris? It's not exactly tropical, but it's definitely ocean. Sweet, and strange. I like it, but it comes out too sweet on my skin. I recommend trying it just for the experience.

Not much Goth in Shoggoth - at first it is overpoweringly citrus, when dry for a while it develops a smoky but fresh floral bouquet. Like wearing a corsage to watch the July 4th fireworks (well, maybe that is Victorian Goth). There might be a tiny hint of coconut skulking in the background but this a perfume more for floral "perfume" types.

Yum. Love it.

In the imp: LIME. In cocktail form, a little fizzy.

Fresh on the skin: Very tropical. Like a lime-coconut scratch and sniff sticker, fragrant in a lush, slightly odd way -- perhaps that's the florals.

5 minutes later: This is weird. The florals are really taking it beyond your usual coconut-lime scent... I'm just not sure how I feel about the direction. It smells... evil. Which makes very little sense, except for how well it goes with the name. Kind of musty. I think there's some note in here that's going strange on me, but damned if I know which one it is.

20 minutes later: Yeah. I just... don't like this. It's so close to something I'd love, except there's something sort of rank about it. Hrm.

1 hour later: Um. This is starting to smell like soap. Vaguely floral, maybe a little lime still, but basically all soap, sharp and tingly and strong. Urgh.

5 hours later: Okay, I've tried to wash this off twice, but still, soap. I suspect I'll even get soap when I wake up in the morning. It's not the most unpleasant thing ever, but. Not something I am particularly interested in smelling like.

Verdict: I think I amp the wrong things for me in this one. :P I might try it again one more time, or I may just drop it in the swap pile. It's a pity, because I usually really like lime and coconut together. Ah well.

One word: soap.

On the skin: Lime. Freshly cut. Delicious.

In the vial: It's quite curious, Shoggoth. I can smell the Chinese peony and the lime, but the curiously sweet part must be the coconut? I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by this scent. I haven't had much luck in the Arkham department but I really like Shoggoth. It's a foodie/fruity/floral. It's a pity my skin ate it so quickly but I'll definitely give it another try!

This one made me so sad. :P It sounded so beautiful, but it really didn't work on me.

It started of somewhat sweet and pretty, then became overwhelmingly floral and then turned into something very perfumey.

Oh well, this will soon be heading off to a new home.

My Lovecraft nerdery continues...

Imp: Smells like Limeade. I love limeade....

Wet: Oooh. Flowers. That was unexpected. It's so light and airy! Basically the last thing I would associate with a Shoggoth.

Drydown: It's worth pointing out the coconut now, since it's decided to join the party. It's not like shaved coconut you'd eat with a dessert. This is the kind of coconut that goes in to really good Thai food. The whole scent is really creamy now. It's so funny that there are so many notes in this, because it's actually quite a light scent. Lily's really the only flower I'm picking up on, the lime is hanging in there, but the coconut meat is definitely in charge.

Overall: I really like it! That's 3 Lovecraft scents tried, and I've been in no rush to get rid of any of them! This would be such a great summer scent! I should try more scents with coconut...

In the imp: soft lime and lemongrass

Wet: lime zest, sharper green lemongrass and a bit of soft floral

Dry: same wet, but softer with a bit more lemongrass

very strange fragrance. this reminds me a lot of my favorite Thai soup, no doubt because of the lemongrass. I'm a bit sad I didn't get any of the other notes or the coconut meat. still nice though.

Very pretty! Sparkling and effervescent green smell with strongs whiffs of coconut :) Not something I'd wear often, but very nice to try.

I was a little leery of some of the notes in this, but I got it as a frimp and decided to give it a whirl. My first impression of this was, quite honestly, generic "white florals" perfume with a hint of citrus. On my skin initially, I got a lot of citrus, which made it bearable, but once it started to dry down I got a sophisticated, well blended, old lady perfume. It hasn't been on long, and already all those shining citrus top notes have faded. Definitely not for me, but could be a good choice for someone who likes sophisticated florals.

I also wanted to add that, much like cthulhu, this was surprisingly clean and fresh smelling to me. Is pure, unadulterated evil always so freshly scrubbed? :P

This is an interesting white floral/lemony smell in the imp. The green coconut meat is quite apparent as well-what an interesting scent! Not your typical light lemony fragrance!

It does go a bit cleansery on my skin though. This some of the flowers are going a bit sour and the lemongrass is a it overpowering. There's some note in here that is just turning a bit weird on my skin-I'm not sure which one.

This was super strong lemongrass for a while, but by the hour mark, that had faded into a white-ish floral with hints of lemongrass. A little powdery-probably the amber. Very clean and fresh. An interesting blend, and definitely different than the other light lemony bpal scents I have tried.

In the imp: This one morphed on me in the space of one inhale. It's sharp and coconutty with a lot of lime, but not like a tropical drink -- more like something from deep in the ocean.

On, wet: Citrus that is no longer identifiable as lime and sweet coconut meat. There's a gentle bit of musk running underneath.

On, dry: This is such an interesting scent. Sharp and sweet and aquatic, the longer it sits on my skin, the more I smell of hinoki, one of my favorite notes. I really, really like it.

It's strange -- Shoggoth is an intense scent, but actually kind of light; it isn't overpowering at all and has a medium amount of throw at best. Wet and for the first half-hour or it's VERY tart and a bit sharp, though I wouldn't say unpleasantly so. And the florals and musk are present, just not dominant. As it wears, the tartness becomes much less in-your-nose and I get more amber/musk. Yum!

Imp: citrus & coconut

Wet: musky, sweet, woody, lemongrass

Drydown: This is aquatic, to me, in the sense that I smell like I'm seaside. It's not a "water" or "ozone" scent at all. It's salty, tangy, warm, and sweet. The notes really meld together the longer I wear it.

Overall: This is a scent I'd wear if I was sitting home on a lazy weekend. :lol:

The first time I tried this, the lemon grass was overwhelming on me. Lemon scents tend to do that on me, like Whitechapel. Needless to say, I didn't like it.

On second try, the lemon grass plays nicely with the other scents, and while I'm not usually a fan of florals, these flowers settle to a beautiful and non-sharp backdrop for the citrusy smell. Eventually, something warm and comforting comes up beneath, possibly the amber or musk - untrained nose doesn't know yet.

Oh, now it's morphing again, so I guess I'll wait another bit before posting this review!

Now it's gone to sweet, flowery, perfumey perfume. And, oddly enough, I don't mind one bit.

Definitely a keeper!