Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

Y'ha-nthlei

A great undersea metropolis located below Devil's Reef. A swirling, lightless, effervescent scent: the deepest marine notes with bergamot, eucalyptus and foamy ambergris.

I love bergamot and often ambergris, but aquatics are not my jam.  This is all about the marine notes on me.  OK, there's a lot of bergamot too, though (thankfully IMO) not much eucalyptus.  So clean!!!  Aggressively clean.  Mr. Clean.  This would be a very nice laundry detergent.  I suspect the ambergris will eventually dominate the drydown if I let it go on that long, and there's a possibility that will be very beautiful, but I'm not sure I can get past the wet phase.  

Frimped this one, and I can only say that I'd never have bought it myself based on the notes.  Not really an aquatics person, having really only encountered Sea of Glass, C'thulu, and Ekhidna, of which this most reminds me of Sea of Glass, but I'll try anything at least once.

I'm...very not sure on this one.  It's not bad, by any means.  It's not the slightest bit off-putting, but I'm not sure if it's the most "me" scent?  I get the aquatic note, and once it dried down I could definitely notice the ambergris, which I really like...I can't really tell if I'm getting the bergamot, but maybe?  I get absolutely nothing that makes me think "eucalyptus," but it's so light and crisp that I barely notice it on my skin.  It's a little soapy, but not in an unpleasant way...I think I'll probably just keep it and wear it when I want light, crisp, and unassuming, see what I think of it a bit further down the road, while possibly dabbing some on Darling Fiance, since this might be up his alley.

Initially, as it was wet on my skin, this was a straightforward aquatic, fresh with a touch of sweetness.

It becomes more pleasing once it dries, with a musky something-or-other taking over.  I assume that this is the ambergris, but I'm not certain.  Y'ha-nthlei doesn't knock my socks off, but it's nice and it lasts for quite a long time.

In the imp: Another lab freebie. White and green aquatics, laced with bergamot. (Worth noting: I had awful allergies the day I tested this, results might be wonky.)

Wet: Eucalypt, river mint, bergamot, and warm ambergris.

Dry: Lime and bergamot settling over a resinous seaweed-driven base. Somewhat like having a nice cup of earl grey on the ocean floor. Medium throw, 8ish hour lifespan.

Stars: ★★★½

Freshness to the max. Lavender and fruit, smells like the air freshener my nanny uses but in a good way. Definitely a bit aquatic 

Fizzy bergamot. As it dries, it gets more aquatic with the ambergris taking over. There's a coolness to this perfume that must be the eucalyptus.

Starts in fizzy lemon/lime soda territory and ends smelling like nice soap. Definitely a clean scent.

A new contender for Kraken game day scent. Wonderfully marine, oceanic depths without the rot of the seashore. Cool, clean, and refreshing. I was dubious about the eucalyptus, but it doesn't go too medicinal. This will definitely be one to keep an imp of.

Aquatics in general do pretty well on me, as do citrus and eucalyptus, so I was excited to smell this when my sister got a frimp to the point that I ordered an imp to have around and do a proper wear test of it.

Yha'nthlei and Cthulhu are definitely cousins of scents. The smell of Yha'nthlei reminds me of being on the water, bot to far from the coasts where you can still smell land but the scent of the saltwater is deep and fresh. The ambergris gives this a smoother feeling than Cthulhu, but it still has the aquatic sharpness that I'm fond of, that the eucalyptus meshes really well with.

This is definitely entering my ongoing rotation of aquatic scents with Cthulhu and Lightning (and probably more to come).