Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

Night-Gaunt

Their scent of their slick, rubbery hides is bittersweet, ticklish, and skin-creeping: something akin to yuzu, white grapefruit, and kumquat mixed with the snow-dusted flowers of Mount Ngranek.

Bittersweet sums this scent up for me. The bitter of the grapefruit and the sweet of the kumquat make a very balanced smell. I only get hints of the flowers in the background. I got this as a frimp and I think I might need a full bottle. It is yummy.

This smell was not as complex or as long-lasting as I had hoped it would be.

It was pretty much... grapefruit. Or, I suppose, kumquat--it was definitely citrus, and I'm not sure I'd know the smell of a kumquat if it bit me.

One hour later: much fainter, and yep, still grapefruit.

Two hours later: gone gone gone :P

Personally, I love Night-Gaunt. After Shoggoth, I thought I liked Shoggoth better, but being hormonal, I for some reason reached for Night-Gaunt. The grapefruit was quite cheery, and it ended up fading the same way Shoggoth does on me--it smells faintly of florals, but mainly just smells nice and clean. I'm adding it to my big bottle list. :P

Mmmm...citrus! This doesn't go sour (in the bad way), but stays tart and sparkly and definitely a white/yellow/green sort of citrus, rather than a sweet pink/orange one. The flowers don't really come out and show themselves, but they make the scent more complex. It is, as many have said, a first cousin to Aizen-Myoo. I found that one just a touch too strong and bitter, but this is perfect! Not really my sort of thing, but I'll definitely keep it for when I want to smell nice and citrusy.

Night-Gaunt to me smells just like gummi grapefruit candy I loved and can't find anymore! This scent is grapefruit in sugar, mmmm. Half my bottle is now poured into an aromatic pottery jar that sits in my sock drawer letting me sniff this scent daily. It has been a while since I wore it and can't recall what it did on me but I can attest to the gloriousness of the scent independent of a body.

This is incredibly bitter on my skin, just like yuzu. I like sweet and sparkly grapefruit notes but not this kind. It smells acidic. Urgh. There's something weedy and acrid in it, too. It reminds me of Aizen-Myoo, which is one of my least favorite scents. My skin just doesn't like notes like this at all.

This is FANTASTIC.

I'm getting lots of yuzu....and a richness that's maybe the kumquat? with a hint of sweetness, which must be the florals. I'm not getting any bitterness from this, but I am getting sour, yummy, juicy citrus. sour/sweet, sweet/sour, yay!

This is definitely a pick me up, force you to be happy scent. a total keeper.

edited to add: it turned again! Now it's a nice, slight floral with SALT and a mild kumquat edge. Beautiful!

Edited by nikkoblue

This is a super-delicious grapefruit in the imp.

On me, it's sort of faint and scented soap smelling. I don't think I get along well with citrus. Perhaps in a locket?

FRUIT HEAVEN. :P There's lychee in this in addition to the other notes, it has that high pitched distinctive fruity smell. I get the kumquat and grapefruit, and it's just sheer bliss. I mellows a bit on the drydown, but the fruits are still distinct and juicy. Mmm. Possible bottle. The throw is light to moderate, but that's typical of fruit blends on me.This is very similar to Fire Pig in smell, so if you run out of that, you'll want to snatch this one up. Perfect pick-me up scent and great for hot summer days.

Edited by Hava

Night-Gaunt:

In Bottle: Mmm, tangerine and pomegranate, yummy!

Wet: Now I can tell that that fruit is actually grapefruit. Very strongly fruity with just a hint of flowers.

Dry: Lovely fruit scent, not too heavy, with no real flowery nonsense to adulterate this one at all. ;-) I really do like this!

Overall: I like!

This is a mouth-wateringly sour citrus when first applied, predominantly grapefruit and kumquat, which I like. Underneath is a creamy sort of sweetness - not vanilla, but it has that same smooth texture, if that makes any sense...smells a little dusty in a way...nice.

The drydown is a little too sour, and after four hours I'm left with a sort of musty, sour scent. Meh.

I do love citrus, though. This is lovely - I just wish my skin liked it as much I as I wanted to.

In the imp: Bitter citrus and a hint of something tree-ish, something resiny. There's an underlying sweetness, too - definitely a scent that hits all my winter notes.

On, wet: Suddenly the scent is very, very sharp and unpleasant. One of my friends remarks that I smell like Febreze. I'm horrified, but gah. She's right.

On, dry two hours later: Still Febreze. I'll wait a few days for the body chemistry to even out, and then try again. I really want to like this scent, but if Febreze is where my body wants to go with it I'll put this imp up for swap.

In the imp: Smells like the pith of a grapefruit.

On Skin: Juicy, delicious grapefruit. :P It's got a touch of the bitterness associated with the pith but it smells like a ripe, just split grapefruit

On Drydown: I get a tinge of florals with the grapefruit.

After several hours: The grapefruit is gone. It's a pretty floral, with a touch of yuzu, which is sweet and fruity.

Verdict: When it comes to grapefruit, this gives Baobhan Sith a serious run for it's money. The main difference is that this is really juicy fruit, whereas the grapefruit is much more muted and perhaps sharper in BS, and it's more of a white floral blend. The wet stage of this however is absolutely heavenly, like I smeared myself with grapefruit juice.

In the imp: At first I smell the kumquat, but there’s the drier grapefruit and more herbal yuzu underneath.

Wet/Drydown: Mmmmmm yuzu, how I love you. This is fresh, dry, herby yuzu. A bit of grapefruit is creeping in, which is lovely. Luckily, the kumquat is behaving, and I’m really not getting anything floral in any noticeable way.

Dry: LOVE. Pure love. A delicious blend of the three citrus notes, with yuzu being strongest, kumquat being weakest, and grapefruit providing a lovely middle note. I adore this.

Night-Gaunt – This is predominantly a bright, crisp kumquat on me. It reminds me of peeling a juicy little kumquat, popping the fruit in your mouth whole, and biting down on it, the sweet juices bursting and flowing over the inside of your mouth and down your throat. Yum! I don’t smell the florals at all unless I sniff my skin really close after drydown and then I smell a faint trace of pretty flowers, but can’t distinguish any particular type of flower. It's at this point that I also detect the tartness of yuzu, but again, only when I sniff up close. The wafts I catch about me are all kumquat -- which is not a bad thing at all! This is a really pretty, crisp, clean, bright summer scent. Sadly, as with most citrus scents, it fades from my skin very quickly. I only get 30 minutes of scent (tops), which means this one is really more of a scent locket or oil burner type scent for me.

In bottle: This smells like straight up bitter, strong grapefruit and yuzu.

immediately on skin: Grapefruit and yuzu with a slight sweetness and airiness about it.

After a few minutes: This has turned very light very quick. It’s a slight twinge of yuzu now with light musky florals.

Later on: This has turned into a very light, soft creamy citrus and floral scent. It has faded quite a bit within only an hour or so and seems to have no staying power on me at all.

It's a quite juicy grapefruit-kumquat scent, ripe like Hungry Ghost Moon without the soothing aloe-ish undertone. It's tart, but not crisp--more like a refreshing pool of water you can dunk into rather than a thin, citrus-sour scent. Slight hint of flowers help bring that aspect out. Big recommend for citrus-lovers. I think it'd make a great room scent.

In the bottle: Juicy and floral. A lot lighter than Fire Pig (in the bottle it smells like Fire Pig does on my skin.) I can't pick up much of the grapefruit, but definitely the flowers and kumquat. Not overly citrusy..but definitely tangy.

Wet on skin: Even more tang. I can pick out the grapefruit, and that's pretty much it. There isn't a hint of the florals, and just abit of the kumquat.

Dry on skin: The florals make a surprising resurface to match the grapefruit. What a lovely blend. :P And it had staying power. 5 hours after application, I'm still getting whiffs of myself.

A definite keeper.

In the imp:

Grapefruit.

Wet:

Grapefruit, with an underlying floral note.

Dry:

The grapefruit disappears more than I'd like on the drydown, but the end result is still nice. I will use the imp and might need a big bottle later.

I got this as a frimp from the Lab with my last order, and it's the first of the blends from Picnic in Arkham that I've tried.

This is... well, it almost perfectly epitomises "bittersweet". In the vial and wet on the skin, the bitterness is almost enough to make me wince, but that's only very short-lived because the bitter soon turns to more of a sourness as the grapefruit explodes into prominence. I must say I'm not a fan of the fruit unless it's pink grapefruit - but the scent is truly glorious.

The sweetness only starts to come through as the scent dries on my skin, but it doesn't take over. It takes the worst of the "edge" from the grapefruit - which IS strong - and just nestles itself around it in a mix that works so very very well indeed.

I wasn't sure about this one - left to my own devices I would very likely never have even tried it. But now I can see me investing in a bottle of it for next spring. It's a really light, cheerful blend (even if it's not supposed to be). I like it a LOT more than I thought I would. It's light, but the throw is good, and I got several compliments today while wearing it.

Thank you, Lab! Yet another to add to the ever-growing YES! list. :P

imp: kumquats! i love kumquats and to have a kumquat scent... :P

wet: kumquat with grapefruit. this smells like some very sunny juice i might eat with bagels in the morning.

dry: very sweet citrus, kumquat and grapefruit primarily. i'll be adding a couple of botles of this to my next order.

First sniff: Hee! What is it with the creepy Cthulhoid scents and evil grapefruit? R’lyeh is the grapefruit of dark unholy deeds (tm amaltheagray), and now Night-Gaunt is killer psycho grapefruit with the crazy eyes. It’s super-sharp. It wants to eat me.

Wearing: Can’t sleep… grapefruit will eat me… The sharpness reminds me of Aizen-Myoo, but there’s no cherry-blossom-tea splash to take the edge off – it’s just blade-edged citrus all the way.

Unfortunately this one wasn't for me, it was far too sweet-tart-smelling. Like boiled down sweettarts in a bottle. :D Not for me, but I can imagine it would smell heavenly on someone else!! :P

I've tried a lot of grapefruit and citrus blends, and none of them have quite grabbed me. But this one is a little different.

Wet, it smells, to me, just like a glass of grapefruit juice. Not pink grapefruit -- it's not nearly so bright and sugary. This is a deep and strangely slithery grapefruit. I think the slithery credit goes to the yuzu, which combines with the grapefruit to make a nicely tangy, bitter-edged citrus scent. As it dries, a very light floral quality begins to appear. I can't say that the florals are -- they're obviously distinct from the citrus, but at the same time, they blend so well. Whatever flower it is, I can't imagine anything else being used here.

I don't know if I'm getting any kumquat. I'm not all that sure what kumquat smells like, really, but I feel like I only smell the citrus.

Yuzu and grapefruit are unfortunately short lived, so once dry, the florals are much stronger. It's a light, clean kind of floral. Reminds me a little of the flowers in Snow White. It's still really lovely. After 30-45 minutes, it's considerably lighter, like all citrus blends. But the floral notes are hanging in there, and they're still citrus tinged.

Right now, this is one of my favorite citrus scents in the catalog, and a definite candidate for a 5ml purchase. Definitely check this out if you're a fan of grapefruit scents!

Edited by naeelah