Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

Night-Gaunt

No one ever found what the night-gaunts took, though those beasts themselves were so uncertain as to be almost fabulous. Carter asked them if night-gaunts sucked blood and liked shiny things and left webbed footprints, but they all shook their heads negatively and seemed frightened at his making such an inquiry. When he saw how taciturn they had become he asked them no more, but went to sleep in his blanket.

Their scent of their slick, rubbery hides is bittersweet, ticklish, and skin-creeping: something akin to yuzu, white grapefruit, and kumquat mixed with the snow-dusted flowers of Mount Ngranek.

BPALNightGaunt.jpg

In the bottle
Kumquat
On
Kumquat but Grapefruit is making itself known now, and a itterweet note that is quite nice with the fruit notes.
30 minutes
Hasn't change much except the kumquat is more at the forefront and not so much grapefruit now.
Throw:
Yes
Scent category:
Fruity
Summary
My favorite fruity scents are orange and grapefruit so this is a joy to wear. It's different because of the slightly bitter harbal (or maybe its the floral) combined with the fruit. It's not sweet as some fruity blends are. If you like kumquat, you're going to love this. I like other grapefruit (and kumquat) bpal scents more than this one but this is nice.
Purchase again?
Maybe
1-5 rating (5 being best)
3.5 Edited by Shollin

In the vial, this instantly reminds me of two other scents: Aizen Myoo (yuzu) and Tweedledee (kumquat). However, it also reminds me of a big, plump, ruby red grapefruit. A grapefruit that's at its peak of ripeness and is sitting on your plate in two halves, just waiting for you to grab a spoon and dig in. It's delectable.

On the skin, there's still plenty of grapefruit, but the florals are apparent as well. I have no clue what flowers they are, but they smell white and icy. "Snow-dusted" is an apt description.

Lasting power is so-so... considering it's a citrus scent, I'm happy it lasted as long as it did (maybe 3-4 hours on my skin). Throw is decent, but not spectacular. But that's okay, because this is a fantastic scent and the clear "star" of my latest order. I think I need to upgrade my imp to a bottle.

This is immediately reminding me of Aizen'Miyoo, but I like it better. It is more subtle than Aizen-Miyoo, at least on me - A-M had throw all over the place, and so I had to put it in a body cream to again be allowed in polite society. The Night-Gaunt I keep on getting drawn to. This one may be a keeper, from the look (smell?) of it.

Night-Gaunt has a delicate, underlying sweetness that must be coming from the flowers.

Of course the Kumqat is prevalent but this is not as biting as Tweedledee and I am closer to thinking of Queen of Diamonds then Aizen Myoo (which was abhorant on me).

Actually, I am going to have some fun comparing this to Queen of Diamonds and Cheshire Cat :P

And I thought this would be Super-Pucker Powered. It really is fabulous and I'm glad I held out on Tweedledee cause this is more my style.

This does remind me a lot of Aizen-Myoo, but it's a sparkling yellow-orange, whereas AM is more of a blinding yellowish-white, if that makes any sense at all. Both are citrussy, but Night Gaunt is more subtle and slightly sweeter to my nose. I really like it a lot, and I might buy a bottle when I run out of Aizen-Myoo.

In the imp: sharp, almost bitter grapefruit-yuzu.

On, wet: Very grapefruity and sharp, but less bitter than the initial impression. Very close throw.

Drydown: The florals become increasingly more noticeable as it dries, and several hours later, the florals are almost all that's left, and that very close to the skin.

Well, I'm a total sucker for citrus, so I knew I was going to like this just from the description. It's like a sharper-edged Baobhan Sith, and I like it a lot.

In the bottle, this is sharp, sharp kumquat. Hmm.

Wet, there's a sweet rush of ruby red grapefruit coexisting with the kumquat.

Drying, it's still mostly grapefruit, sharp and mouth-watering, but I can vaguely get the snowy notes beneath it.

Dry, there's a hint of soft flowers, but they're the faintest note beneath the citrus and the snow. It's very soothing and fresh - a really unusual scent blend.

Since I'm at a weird place in my monthly cycle, I'll revisit this one before making a determination of how much I like it and whether it's a keeper. ETA: On revisit, this is absolutely beautiful. The citrus is cheerful and invigorating, and the snowy notes have kept me huffing my wrist all day. Good throw, nice and long-lasting. Definitely a keeper. :P

Edited by harmonyfb

Night Gaunt is like a chord of citrus, and if you like grapefruit, you will really enjoy this. It's mostly grapefruit on me, with a white floral behind it. It's really refreshing and eye-opening---almost clarifying in its stringent strength.

Definitely a keeper. I think this would be great in the morning when I need to wake up or at work when I need to focus. It dries down to a soft blur of citrus and flower, very pretty and very wearable.

BIG Grapefruit scent - sharp and almost bitter when first on. reminds me of Aizen-myoo and Kumiho (maybe more of Kumiho) with some of the initial sharpness of Embalming Fluid. it's a big bright scent that actually mellows down into a very complex mix of sweet floral (but very mild and still offset by some lingering grapefruit - so if you don't like florals you might still like this). The drydown shift from intense to subtle and complex reminds me of the way Enraged Bunny Musk dries down on me. so anyway, BEAUTIFUL scent, and to me it's the prettiest scent in the whole PIA section.

ADDED 10/19/07:

Sweet citrus. I don't get any florals at any stage of the dry-down, though sometimes it smells all grapefruit and sometimes it seems sweeter (must be the kumquat). Reminds me a bit of Xanthe in it's sweet fruityness. Very pretty scent, last a while but not a lot of throw.

In the bottle, it smelled of grape fruit. ^^ YUM.

Wet; it smells like...grape fruit! YAY!

Dry; It smells like...grape fruit and flowers. I think I can smell some of the kumquat, but either way, this is great smelling!

Lime freshness! Then the grapefruit really comes through. It’s interesting and all, but not something I would wear deliberately.

This is a happy citrus dream. Yuzu and kumquat. It also kind of smells like Buddha Hand fruit to me. Sharp and yummy. People have compared this to Aizen-myoo. There are similarities. (If you like AM, you will like this.) But this more of a fresh, sharp scent than AM.

This is hard and sparkly.

NIGHT GAUNT

In Bottle: Citrus!

On Skin: The yuzu and grapefruit come screaming out of this one! This will wake you right up. A very original scent from Beth, I don’t there’s anything like this anywhere. I have seen the comparison to Aizen-Myoo but this one feels much more extreme. The kumquat comes front and center as well! A very bright and tart fruit blend, with subtle florals in the background that try and sprinkle some sweetness on the blend but instead lay buried beneath the strong fruits. Very pretty, very bright, very in your face. As the scent develops and about 20 minutes into drydown, the scent does mellow and soften up a bit letting the florals peek through. I like the originality of this scent but it’s a bit too citrus for me. If you are a fan of citrus, put this one at the top of your list. Strong throw and great wearlength.

BPAL's grapefruit notes have a tendency to smell really sharp and bitter on me, so I was wary about trying Night Gaunt. In the vial, it smells like the labbies crammed an actual ruby red grapefruit in here.

On me... bitter grapefruit and sharply perfumey white flowers. It does have a powdered sugar sweetness to it that I like, but the sharp perfume is ruining the sugar for me.

It's rather strong and overpowering on me as well. BPAL's grapefruit just hates me :P

Mmmm....yuzu! Swoon. I love the yuzu in Aizen-Myoo too though it is much too light for me to wear. More of a locket scent or something I'd enjoy (as I say with most citrus scents) in the bath.

However this is a bit deeper. It is a swirling deep tart grapefuity yuzu, and has much much more throw and power than I expect from such an ethereal scent. Reminds me a little of the ghostly grapefruit in Hungry Ghost Moon actually.

Sweet and warm, glowing ghostly lemon yellow and ghastly persimmon orange, like twin citrus eyes peering at you through the darkness.

At the last will -call I smelled this, and went, WOW, so, I put a bit on to see how it worked on me, since it smelled like such Kumquat goodness in this bottle.

On me, it turned into this really sharp kumquat smell, very nice. Every other citrus smell that I tried on was utterly diminished by it.

Then, I started noticing the kumquat starting to fade, to my annoyance. Slowly, it faded to nothingness, and then, where I had put it on my hand, it started to hurt! I then had to wash my hands.

So, nightgaunt, great scent, but, interesting side effects. :P

Edited by RaeiNarcissus

Oh wowwowowowowowow. Just wow.

The grapefruit and yuzu in this just sparkle. They are glittering, sparkling totally indescribable things. I really really love this, although I wish that it lasted a little longer...

In the imp: yuzu and kumquat, all citric and deliciously sharp. Wow, that's lovely.

On me, wet: mm, there's a touch of red grapefruit, but it's not the over-sweet grapefruit I get from other BPAL. And the kumquat and yuzu are still lovely.

On me, dry: ear god the prettiness of the citrus, all sparkly bright and sharp and awesome, soothed from becoming at all candyish from the moist faint florals.

Verdict: This was the PiA scent I was most excited about, and my god it's lovely. A big bottle contender, for sure.

I definitely see the similarities between this and Aizen-Myoo; it's like the more subtle version of the former. I'm getting mostly grapefruit out of this, and what I think must be the yuzu behind it.

Alas, as with Aizen-Myoo, this doesn't quite work on me; it's sour on my skin and a bit bitter, too. I think this is a swap.

In the bottle: at first, it's quite bitter… I recognize kumquat and something a bit earthy (although I could not say what).

On my skin: grapefruit and kumquat, very "real", very strong and I really like that. It's unusual and pretty. There's still something bitter (and herbal).

After a couple of hours: in the drydown phase, I get soft flowers, and a hint of citrus.

Verdict: very beautiful, especially the initial kumquat phase.

Hello, kumquat! This is sweet and tart in first application, very fresh and spiked with grapefruit. This doesn't morph on me at all--it stays perfectly juicy, perfectly fresh. Yum!

In the bottle: Sweet grapefruit and bitter yuzu. Yum!

Wet: Same as in the bottle grapefruit and yuzu, with maybe a hint of sweet florals.

Drydown: This smells good enough to eat, like a delicious citrus cocktail frosted with sugar, yum! It's not too bitter or too sweet, and it's all in tones of grapefruit, maybe a hint of orange from the kumquat. The florals seem to have died down, but I was mostly there for the citrus anyway. At certain moments it even smells a bit spicy, which is just yum.

Overall: A delicious citrus blend, akin to Aizen-Myoo, but sweeter and fruitier, maybe a bit more playful in fact. It has more of a mysterious bite to it, things I can't quite put my finger on, and seems more orangey from the kumquat. Definitely a keeper, and great for any citrus lover.

In the vial: kumquat and grapefruit. Smells delicious.

On the skin: yuuuuzuuuuuu! very grapefruity. A hint of something sweet. This is really nice, like a sweeter Aizen-Myoo.

On drydown: Oh god no. Whyyyyyyyyyyyy must the ones I like amp the florals over everything else. Those florals got perfumey and took over on my skin and killed it for me :P

Night Gaunt

In the imp: CITRUS! It's all grapefruit here. Bittersweet grapefruit and maybe yuzu too (that caused the uber-grapefruit scent in Aizen Myoo).

Wet on skin: like grapefruit peel rubbed all over my skin

Dry on skin: the odd Franglais phrase that comes to mind when I wear this is 'le night-gaunt (gaunt de nuit?) mange le pamplemousse.' It's pure grapefruit and yuzu on my skin, with hints of kumquat. It's a zingy, zesty, tangy and bitter citrus-fest. Very much a summer scent or a wake-up fragrance (grapefruits always make me think of breakfast). It does remind me a little bit of TBS's grapefruit fragrances but this is a little more complex. It actually smells very similar to Aizen Myoo, but with twice the citrus.

After a while: the citrus notes still remain (mainly kumquat) but are more muted now. now I get hints of the florals…the flowers in here remind me of Prague, mainly papery lilies, maybe a hint of blossoms too (possibly even the cherry blossom in Aizen Myoo). Unfortunately there's also an odd 'off/rotten' undertone to the floral background that I'm not keen on, which at times smells a little bit like overripe banana. There's also a bitter aspect to the scent that I'm not keen on.

The scent fades into a soft plum blossom scent, it seems that there may be some lilies and other blossoms, like cherry or apple blossom, in here. It's a little soapy/washing detergent like, and there's something about the flowers that I'm not keen on, like they've wilted.

Verdict: this scent is a sister to Aizen Myoo, I think, with it's theme of bittersweet, powerful citrus fading to a floral drydown. In fact, at first it's hard to tell them apart but I think this may have more citrus variety and more floral variety to it but otherwise they are very close. At first this was a huge explosion of citrus! Lots of grapefruit, made even more grapefruity by the yuzu, and with a hint of bitter kumquat. So much citrus that it almost overwhemed me! Almost like a grapefruit eaten for breakfast jumped out of the bowl and punched me in the nose before I attempted to sugar it! This stage is short lived and the scent that came after was less impressive-I wanted my citrus explosion back when the drydown smelt like slightly rotting flowers and blackened banana skins with my skin chemistry. It reminds me of the drydown of Prague (which also turned odd on me) mixed with Budding Moon (which went oddly banana scented) but without as much sweetness as those two scents. I might use the first stage of this scent as a room or locket scent for any time I need something awakening and fresh and sunny and zesty, but I prefer Aizen for that job. I think this'll go to swaps.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? I have other grapefruit scents I prefer so this one's going up for swap/sale.

If you like this, try: Aizen Myoo, Cheshire Cat, Hungry Ghost Moon, Lustration, Tweedledee, Prague, Budding Moon