Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

Night-Gaunt

Their scent of their slick, rubbery hides is bittersweet, ticklish, and skin-creeping: something akin to yuzu, white grapefruit, and kumquat mixed with the snow-dusted flowers of Mount Ngranek.

In the imp: grapefruit! delicious bitter grapefruit! yay! (I LOOOOVE the citrus - the sharper the better - and I'm on a search for the perfect citrus scent)

wet: more grapefruit and what I think is the kumquat. I'm hopeful but wary - I've been burned before.

dry: boo. almost immediately (within a couple of minutes), the lovely bitter citrus is gone and is replaced by delicate and slightly chilly white flowers.

1 hour later: if I huff my wrists I can get a little grapefruit/citrus, but the flowers endure.

2 hours later: almost completely gone.

I like it, but not at all what I was hoping for and there are other floral blends I like better.

Yuzu, grapefruit, and kumquat mingle on me to bring to mind all the girly drinks I enjoyed on a cruise a couple years ago. This tickles a happy nerve for sure.

After the first impact, I start to get the soft, snowy floral note, wholly out of context for the image I was liking there for a minute. Then it goes partly soapy, and I think, "Cruise soap?"

Good times. So, I think I like this. I don't necessarily see a bottle happening, though.

I love Night-Gaunt. :heart: It makes me think of eating a kumquat, rind and all. There's a lovely bright citrus with a woody greeness behind it and a light, sweet, white floral overlay. I actually think it might be tuberose. I don't smell any "snow" or mint in Nightgaunt.

It's an unusual fragrance, and a nice citrus alternative to all the tea/citrus blends. I'd also highly recommend it for Aizen Myoo lovers, as it seems like a less sweet and longer lasting cousin to that fragrance.

Edited by VetchVesper

I grabbed this at random from the box of untested imps under my bed this morning, and it was a perfect choice. If you like to use grapefruit shower products to wake up in the morning, definitely try Night-Gaunt. It has a zesty grapefruit and kumquat blast on initial application (I'm not sure I can pick out yuzu but I think it belongs with the sharp, sour citrus, not the sweet varieties). Aizen-Myoo went into cleanser territory on me (I often have trouble with the citrus/tea combo), but this one does not. It's a nice refreshing kick in the pants in the morning, and after an hour and a half it has faded a lot and the florals have become more prominent. But citrus blends never last long for me, so this wear length is about average.

In the imp: I'm only able to smell the citrus notes. The yuzu is the most prominent of the three.

Wet: The citrus is tart. The yuzu dominates. I'm also getting the white grapefruit, which I believe is providing an extra bit of citrus zing. I'm not sure if I am getting starting to get the citrus-y, ozone-y snow note as the scent dries, or if it is just all of the citrus making me think that.

Dry: I am getting the kumquat and some fizziness. After a few hours of wear, it becomes a faint citrus scent with some even lighter snow-dusted florals in the background.

It's barely there after two hours of wear, and after two and a half hours, the citrus is completely gone, just leaving a faint trace of florals.

Verdict: I liked the citrus, but this one fades too quickly on me.

in the imp- all citrus, all the time. go big or go home. on my skin - the florals blossom to tame the citrus a bit. i really hate citrus smells BUT i think Beth masterfully blended this so it's a perfect balance once it is on the skin. I will say that i don't really get the scent association with a Night-Gaunt, but that's just me.

Thick, droopy like sirup. Green, bitter with a sweet undertone. I can waddle around it but I can basically pick apart the listed notes from the description. Interesting!!
Goes a little laundry detergent on me after about five minutes - sad, it was quite lovely!

In the imp: Yuzu and kumquat predominantly. Some bitter citrus of grapefruit, some light floral. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's first dominated by the yuzu, then the kumquat. The grapefruit and floral are detectable as gracing top notes, but they're not prominent. After about twenty minutes, the wisp of grapefruit dries and fades, leaving the yuzu, kumquat, and florals. It doesn't morph much after that on me. 

It's pretty, but I'm not sure it's a "me" kind of scent. There's a humid, almost swampy quality to the scent that seems out of place with the dry air of the desert. 

On me, the throw is on the stronger side of medium. 

Starts off with bitter grapefruit/yuzu then goes to strong, bitter white flowers with a side of citrus. A little tropical but not at all gentle. 

The citrus notes are still bright, juicy, and vibrant while the Lab's berried snow notes add a fantastic balance just atop the mild florals in the background.  My mouth is literally watering.  Night Gaunt is an uplifting citrus glory of a scent and gets my vote for the #tournamentofunderdogs #underdogs.

I really thought I'd like this one, but I'm not feeling it.  It starts out with juicy and promising citrus, but dries down to soapy, sneezy, dried-up yuzu rind and some sort of lily.  I definitely expected this to be "wetter" given the description of slick rubbery hides and a snowy mountain.

Testing from a lab fresh imp.

Just give me anything that's yuzu and grapefruit I guess! This has the nice citrusy smell softened by the flowers, just fresh and nice. I'm not sure what kumquat smells like, so not sure how it's influencing things. This sits somewhere between Snow Moon, which is softer, and Grapefruit, Yuzu and White Musk, which is sharper. I agree that it's dry and not wet/juicy.

All in all, I really like it! If I didn't already have Grapefruit, Yuzu, and White Musk, I'd probably go for some of this. 

This is all grapefruit and yuzu on me. Very fruity and tart.

There is also something dirty peeking out. Some weird bandaid smell is in the mix too, however.

It's a bit sickly sweet without much depth during drydown.

The bandaid smell that's just... blunt? ... remains.

It gets a bit soapy and artificial. I think a bit of sour juiciness is what the scent would need to shine.

I like this! It's a grapefruit and kumquat dominant blend on me but I can smell a little of the yuzu in the background. Florals aren't too strong on me, and there's definitely a faint powdery snow note covering them. 

Not sure if I'll upgrade, it gets a little baby powder like near the end, but it sure is nice. I enjoy a good citrus, but the florals in here keep me from loving this. 

"Bittersweet" and "ticklish" is right - the bitter part of citrus, the tickly part of grapefruit, and a little bit of sweet from the florals (which are definitely "snow-dusted," because I got a very distinct whiff of something very similar to the lab's snow note in the imp).

Mainly a yuzu and grapefruit scent.

I've had my bottle since 2018. It smells like a bright, juicy citrus with a crystal-like crispness. That's best I can explain. It really rounds out to be more fruity as it fades. I would order a 2nd bottle of this.

This is mostly a bright, citrusy perfume. The grapefruit is quite prominent to me and realistic, it's that cloud of zest that spritzes in the air after you peel away the rind. I do get a hint of florals that round out the perfume and make it a bit soapy. A fresh and clean smell overall.

Juicy! My mouth started watering and I normally hate citrus perfumes, but this was too delectable to pass up. Grapefruit, kumquat… but the juiciness dries down pretty quickly to let dry florals in… and then…. Smells like tennis balls. I like that kind of weird floral rubber scent of fresh tennis balls, so it works… it’s juicy grapefruit with a side of tennis balls. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

I’m finally getting around to trying all of the imps I’ve collected over the years, and today’s random pick from the bowl was Night-Gaunt. It’s definitely not one I would have purchased on my own, and I’m still not sure how I feel about it, it’ll probably be an imp only that won’t be replaced when it’s gone unless it really starts to grow on me. 

In the imp: grapefruit but not as strong as I was expecting based on others’ reviews. Some florals and a touch of soapiness. 

Wet: FLORALS, mixed with some sort of fruit candy. Maybe Sweet Tarts, but not quite. The florals are dominating everything and are almost overpowering, and the citrus is hiding in the candy. 

Dry: the florals are quickly disappearing and it’s definitely candy-adjacent. Decent throw, and it somehow manages to throw the florals that disappeared. When I put my nose right up to my arm it’s already smelling very faint after about half an hour, yet it’s somehow still throwing which my brain can’t grok. Occasionally I get strong whiffs of a specific flower, maybe jasmine (I don’t know my flowers very well) but overall I feel like I’m surrounded by a cloud of sweet tartiness. It totally smells like something I remember but I can’t remember what. But I know this smell. I just hope it comes to me because it’s a bit maddening at this point. 

Ok, it’s been about 5-6 hours and it’s dried down to something faint but absolutely fantastic smelling. Although I’m not sure if my arm might have also picked up a trace of the Ranger I was wearing yesterday from my hoodie sleeve. I’ll have to try it again at some point but make sure to keep it isolated and see what it does. 

Edited by AbbyNormal
Updated smells

Night Gaunt is one of my brother's favorites, so I tried it out today to see what the fuss was all about. A deliciously juicy citrus, overall. I don't get the flowers when wet, but there is a hint when dry on the skin. Very little throw compared to other citruses (the kumquat in this doesn't have NEARLY the power of the kumquat in, say, tweedledee) but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. A good perfume to wear when you just want scent for yourself, and not to share with the people around you.

I just realized I've never reviewed this despite it being one of my favorites (it's one of my GC bottles alongside Aizen-Myoo and Prague). 

On my skin and in the bottle, it's a pretty even balance of the bright, tart scents of grapefruit, yuzu, and kumquat, some of my favorite citrus. There's a strong element of the scent of the zest, not just the juice.

Underneath the citrus at first, but as it dries blooming to fairly equal prominence (though I'd say the citrus has more throw on me) is a lovely floral blend that I strongly suspect contains some sort of lilies because it's a slightly juicy/spicy floral that reminds me of some of the notes of Prague.

Overall, I love the combination of notes, and I wear this one a lot!

Edited by ShadowEtienne