Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

Night-Gaunt

Their scent of their slick, rubbery hides is bittersweet, ticklish, and skin-creeping: something akin to yuzu, white grapefruit, and kumquat mixed with the snow-dusted flowers of Mount Ngranek.

got this as a frimp from the lab! :) at first smell, this is a sweet and sour citrus-floral. very fresh, vibrant and springy. exactly the kind of scents i rarely/never wear :P but i was delighted to try this anyhow. smells like watery citrus fruits and floral. very young and fresh. i can't pick out what florals these are, but remind me of the ones in amsterdam and the unicorn, very light and not cloying or heavy.

I went to BPAL to order Miskatonic after a friend said it smelled yummy and had great staying power. But I saw Night Gaunt and had to try it - went ahead and bought a bottle, and I'm so glad!

In the bottle: Juicy citrus, but I get no grapefruit whatsoever! Kumquat and yuzu are gangbusters and definitely reminiscent of the oil in the peel, not just the juice.

Wet: Still mega-citrus, but a hint of flowers.

Dry: The white florals come through quickly as the citrus fades. I'm not great at identifying notes, but I think it's stuff like tuberose and gardenia. The citrus completely disappears on me, and I'm OK with it because the floral is so nice - not a typical girly perfumey floral. A little creamy and a little carnal.

I love grapefruit and I am a little sad it didn't come out for me. I got none of that delightful bitterness. But I like all citrus, so this is still great.

I hated this initially, really thought it smelled disappointingly strong, bitter, and disgusting, but re-applied just a tiny drop of it when thinking about what to write about it and couldn't stop smelling my arm. The citrus is intensely strong and bitter at first, more like peel than like juice, but it fades a bit and the flowers grow stronger and stronger. It winds up smelling to me like a balanced mixture of grapefruit and fragrant white gardenias--brings back memories of family vacations to Hawaii. Lovely, if you don't apply too much.

Wet this smells like bright, pink grapefruit with soft floral notes in the background.

Unfortunately, the citrus disappears on my skin quite quickly and leaves just the pink smelling floral. The floral is still nice, but I would slather this if the citrus stuck around.

Night-Gaunt has good throw on me at first, but doesn't stick around long. I found it interesting enough to make a spray perfume out of it, so I can mist it on my hair and clothes for a bit more staying power. Even with that it is very soft and close to the skin after an hour. I mostly smell the floral notes on myself, but the citrus brightens the blend and keeps it from being cloying.

I don't think I would buy a bottle of this, but if I come across another imp, I will use it.

Edited by whataboutprom

Watery slime. Toilet cleaner? I think this is what lemon does to my skin, and with the grapefruit wich is really sour as well it's really horrible. I get almost no flowers. Not for me!

In the imp: Perfumey. Nothing stands out through the perfumey smell, alas.

On skin, wet: A bit of yuzu peeks out through the perfumey smell, but also a bit of soap. Not promising.

On skin, dry: Soapity soap soap. x.x

After an hour: SOAP.

Fruity, delicious, mouth-watering. Bitingly citrus at first then it become creamier and softer. Fades rather quickly, especially the citrus. Creamy, rounded florals unlike the type of florals I tend to dislike so it's still ok in my book. I'd consider a bottle.

Imp: Citrus and melon. Fruit salad. o_O

On my skin, citrusy and kind of salty? There seems to be an oceany-aquatic note here. The Lab's snow notes often turn dryer-sheety on me, and that seems to be happening here. :( Overall, this is smelling like laundry or dish soap on my skin. I think I smell gardenia as one of the flowers, but it's unfortunately the gardenia that goes soapy/headache-inducing on me.

When i got my Night-Gaunt imp and tested it for the 1st time, i couldn't make much of the scent, because i couldn't smell any.

Now, testing it once more, i find it to be a beautiful bittersweet berry - like aroma. I really like it. If only it had better throw and staying power, i'd buy a bottle.

Sugar-dusted pink grapefruit with white and yellow flowers. Ginger flower maybe. There's something tropical about it. I'm getting a feint impression of an orange-hued fruit in the background. Sparkly and soft.

I didn't think it'd be possible for such a citrus-loaded blend to be so...cheerless? The scent is very true to its name and I should've factored that in before making my purchases. For some strange reason this scent stayed consistent from application to drydown. On my arm I smelled bitter pomelo rinds under a thick carpet of funereal blossoms. Evil, powdery, soapy citrus! Like dumping out the contents of a creepy specimen jar and taking a whiff of the dregs at the very bottom. Utterly unwearable on my skin but I'm glad to have tried it.

Both me and my boyfriend got bitter lavender. The fruits have gone cloying and are very secondary to the herby note.

And as it dries, it goes old lady lavender...

Night Gaunt is the perfect example of a gorgeous perfume I am completely uninterested in wearing.

Lovely bitter orange over glittering white florals with an airy feel. Crystal clear and cold. There is no warmth in this scent, it is like the orange peels and flowers are frozen in an ice cube.

It is so evocative of a lovely friend of mine (she wear D&G Blue) that I am tempted to present her with a bottle unsniffed and hope that my instinct was good.

I absolutely love it, but I could never wear it. I'll definitely try it on some friends.

Tzi

This is delicious. I can smell both the fruit and the flowers, it has amazing sharpness and depth. I love this one, it says "spring" to me, will surely be going in my next order.

This was a frimp with my most recent order. It's not something I would have sought out, and sadly the way it dries down on my skin means I will be unlikely to test it again. The juicy, delicious burst of grapefruit that it is while wet only sticks around for about a minute, giving way to a sickly floral dryer sheet scent that I had to wash off minutes later.

In the bottle - Bright zingy grapefruit. Very like the post's Lightening Storm HG

Wet on me - A spiky sappy green citrus scent

Dry on me - A soft gentle musk with hints of citrus

Overall - I don't know if I should be surprised, but I am by the mellow softness of this blend

In the imp: Sweet citrus, like tangerine.

Wet on skin: Much more floral now. I'm getting much jasmine.

Dried down: Still jasmine, with a hint of baby powder deodorant thrown in.

Throw: A little bit. I can smell the jasmine a few inches away from my skin.

Verdict: **** I like this one a lot! I don't know if I'll get a bottle, or how soon, but I need to remember this one.

[Reviewed elsewhere, brought here for posterity!]

Frimp from the lab.

In the imp: GRAPEFRUIT. in-your-face, take-no-prisoners GRAPEFRUIT. Like a punch of citrus straight to the sinuses.

Wet on skin: Grapefruit grapefruit grapefruit -- OH HELLO ROTTING FLOWERS THAT CRAWLED OUT OF A FETID SWAMP. There's a floral note in there that I totally know, but can't place at all. It doesn't matter, though, because on me this turned into dark, organic, decaying, rotting flowers in less than a minute. Like someone climbed the sides of Mt Ngranek, was killed by a night-gaunt, and the rest of their party couldn't retrieve the body so they just piled it high with flowers and left it there for the elements.

This has the dubious honor of the only BPAL scent I've ever washed off my skin before it even dried. And then I could still smell dead things for the next hour, even after three alcohol wipes, four rounds of scrubbing with soap and water, and application of both coconut oil and grapeseed oil. (Seriously, I'm shuddering from the memory of it just copying this review over, even two months later!)

The lab gnomes' psychic imp-matching powers rolled a critical failure on this one, I'm sad to say!

wet: grapefruit sweetened with a bit of floral. I really like this so far! As it dries it becomes a little more musky and floral. I definitely like this! it's a beautiful young and refreshing scent! I have a few imps and will possibly get a bottle one day.

This was a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Citrus. I can’t pick out which one, but it’s not a sweet citrus. The floral note is just discernible.

Wet: Now I can pick out the yuzu, which is the strongest of the citrus notes. After a few moments, the flowers become stronger.

I always like citrus scents, and Night-Gaunt is the most successful of my most recent batch of frimps from the Lab. Because of the yuzu, it has a similar bittersweet quality to Aizen-Myoo, which is one of my warm-weather favorites. As is usual for a citrus blend, this has little throw and fades quickly. I will bring it out again in a few months; I think Night-Gaunt will really shine on a warm day.

This is pretty. Wet, I get tart, fresh citrus from the yuzu and grapefruit, with a hint of light white floral in the background. As it dries, the citrus fade and the floral becomes more prominent. Overall, I'm left with a light, citrus-floral that somehow reminds me of cleanliness, like fresh laundry and lemon surface cleaner. Beautiful, but it does remind me a bit of artificial air freshener.

I get dryer sheets with a hint of citrus from the imp. Possibly the yuzu and grapefruit? On, it just smells like more dryer sheets, but as it dries, I can smell more of citrus and floral notes. (Still can't identify them, though!) I can't decide if this is worth a bottle, but I like how it smells after I've been wearing for it and it's mellowed out.

Bitter snow in the bottle. It goes on as a cold, sour citrus from which it never fully recovers. The kumquat tries to soften the edge a little, but it dries as kuzu rind. No flowers at all. Scrubber.

In the imp: Ooh. Definitely getting the yuzu-grapefruit!

Wet: A little sugary, but still zesty fruity.

Dry: This isn't at all what I'd have expected from the name at all, it's bright and fresh and not at all sharp as I'd have guessed from the scent notes. Good pick-me-up fragrance :)