Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

Night-Gaunt

Their scent of their slick, rubbery hides is bittersweet, ticklish, and skin-creeping: something akin to yuzu, white grapefruit, and kumquat mixed with the snow-dusted flowers of Mount Ngranek.

A really neat scent. It starts off strong citrus with a nice toothy bite, though it is already fading somewhat and smoothing out.

I picked this one to try out because I was looking for other scents with yuzu to compare, and this one was handy...having been frimped with the decants. =)

I like it, but, it isn't lasting. And yes, I'll be looking for more yuzu scents now that I have a clue. I just hope I can get it to last sometime, as neither scent with it is lasting well on me at all. =( Edited by Aerinha

Imp: yuzu and aquatic flowers is what I’m getting in the imp

Wet on Me: touches of the white grapefruit over the yuzu and aquatic flowers.

Drying Down: this gets very faint after a while and the kumquat comes

more to the forefront now.

Dry: kumquat receded now and I get the yuzu and light floral. Very nice.

Haunting and ethereal. I like it.

In the imp: Juicy grapefruit mainly with underlying florals.

Wet on skin: The grapefruit backs off a bit, and it's more generally tart citrus and aquatic florals. Ooh, and the florals have the throw.

Drydown: The citrus makes way for frosty florals, but it's still there.

Dry, a while later: The florals definitely sharpen on me (which is good, because for a while I was afraid they'd go powdery), and I think the citrus notes help that impression.

Not what I expected, but I like it. I can tell, however, that it's not going to last the day; it's fading quite fast.

ETA: Tthree hours later, and what was applied to my wrists is now quite faint. However, behind my ears and what ended up in my hair is still fairly strong and a nice even balance of grapefruit and aquatic florals.

Edited by MasquedRabbit

In Imp: Grapefruit, yuzu and kumquat are up front with a touch of florals backing them. Very citrusy, crisp and clean in the bottle. This is not at all what I expected from the name, but I should learn by now that I can't judge a scent by its title.

On Skin: The grapefruit and yuzu are way up front taking over the whole scene. It's still very crisp, makes me feel clean and I adore the strong citrus scent this gives off. The florals are still there but they are very subdued.

Dry Down: Florals are coming up now and the citrus is mellowing out a little but still remains up front. Kumquat seems to have vanished on me but perhaps it's just so blended in with the grapefruit that I can't detect it. This scent is really pleasant definitely a keeper.

Night-Gaunt is a fanciful, highly unusual blend. I can't get over the boldness of the combination of notes in this. The kumquat (which is just the most bizarre fruit scent I've ever encountered) that I love in Tweedledee is alive and kicking in this blend. In addition to that there's a swirl of citrus, but more like the zesty oil that sometimes sprays from the rind-- very concentrated and confident. And there's a few underlying notes that keep emerging and then hiding: lemongrass? and something that's almost... fir needle? But like a sweet, cool evergreen that's not at all stereotypical.

It's really effervescent and alive-- it makes me think of apple-green potion bubbling away. And then the whole thing slowly dissolves (over a matter of hours) to paper thin, gossamer flowers: white, dewy and sparkling. Very sophisticated floral.

So, Night-Gaunt: :wub:

This is almost straight grapefruit (yuzu?) with a hint of florals. Very pretty, but not something I

can see wearing often. It is very uplifting though. I'm really tempted to keep my imp just to sniff when I need a pick me up.

Night -Gaunt despite of its name its a morning blend for me, with the grapefruit and the yuzu deliciously citrusy and the flowers blooming after without overpowering all. Aizen Myoo and Baobhan Sith fans will like it a lot. Stay is minimal like for every citrus blend, so it`s a slatherer for sure. It makes me want to eat grapefruits every time I put!

Edited by Champagne

With a name like Night-Gaunt I expected something darker, but I'm not disappointed with the light, happy feel of this blend.

Ack, after it dries, I get some weird bitterness that I don't really care for and I have no idea where it came from. Too bad :/

Another one from the Lovecraft series. Miskatonic University had all the arcane supernatural menace of a cartoon kitty daycare, so let’s see how this one performs.

In bottle: Citrus and florals.

On me, wet: Bottle got spilly when I opened it, so I’m wearing more of this than I might have chosen to. It smells… okay. I love citrus smells, but I’m not crazy about the way this scent blends citrus and flower smells. I feel like the citrus is being oppressed and strangled by perfumey flowers.

On me, drying: The floral smell seems to have receded some. The remaining scent is an okay citrus blend with floral underpinnings. Smells kind of commercial to me, kind of intrusively perfumey.

Verdict: Nah, not so much. Though I may try it again to see if it’s better when I’m not slathered in it. It sounds so nice in everybody else’s reviews! Why wasn’t it nice for me? BLOO HOO HOO

This is one of my favorite GC scents. I definitely wear this one fairly often, especially when I'm feeling sweaty.

In bottle: so much citrus. mmmm. yummmmmmm. XD definitely smell the yuzu and i think i smell grapefruit. not sure about kumquat.

Wet on me: Just like in bottle, but a bit of floral coming out.

Dry on me: citrus and floral -- nicely blended. i love how delicate it seems but somewhat bold as well.

Oil Lamp Burning: makes my room smell so great. I just use a few drops and it helps me concentrate so much more. :) LOVE IT TO DEATH!

Edited by Shanchan

Sharp at first, but now it's calming down and going to...kumquat? Is that the sweetness lurking in the background? Juicy and slight crisp, flowers and citrus of equal proportion.

Inside the imp, hello grapefruit.

Wet on the skin, white grapefruit exclusively at first. As it dries, grapefruit scent mixes with florals.

Dries down to a vague floral citrus scent.

Wet, this is kind of fruity and musky. As it dried, the blend becomes more citrussy. I like citrus and will enjoy this imp, though I don't think I need a bottle. It is pretty faint, and disappears quickly.

This is extremely tart grapefruit in the imp and immediately upon applying. However, it starts to turn to shrieking white florals, and I get scared. Luckily, it stops after about 10 minutes, and shifts to a nice mix, with florals that behave and bright, tart citrus.

Really nice...

Floral, without the overpowering feeling that this should go on a more mature wrist. I don't have any grapefruit which is disappointing but not a hideous scent at all.

In imp: Really sweet-smelling fruity blend (maybe the grapefruit dominating?)

Wet: Sweet flowers with a touch of fruit

Drydown: lovely scent of fruit and flowers, rather delicate but with a nice throw

Later: Extremely pretty fruity-floral blend. I’m putting this on my eventual bottle list.

A lovely frimp from the ever so lovely Beth!

My skin amps citrus like you wouldn't believe so this is basically all grapefruit with the kumquat to calm it down. Lots of throw and it lasts and lasts. Very fresh, fruity and clean, but not something I'd wear. Still, I want to try all the Lovecraft blends at least once, so I'm happy I had a chance to try this one, even if it's not my thing.

On the skin: Whoa, grapefruit and kumquat! Citrus overload! Very nice! This seems like a very true to life citrus scent and would be great in spring and summer!

After a bit, the citrus mellows out a bit, but it is still definitely all I can smell.

This is not what I was expecting from something called Night Gaunt. It is quite pleasant, but I don't think I will ever need any more than an imp. I guess we shall see.

Fruity yummiess! Like catseyes said, I was definitely expecting something a lot darker and heavier. I'm beginning to think I amp grapefruit as the more this dries the more the grapefruit I can smell.

I recommend this for people who are interested in the Lovecraft blends but maybe afraid of ordering one for fear it will smell like seaweed or fish. Night-Gaunt starts out as all grapefruit and kumquat, bright but not in your face. The citrus drifts away quickly, leaving musky white flowers that last. This could be considered Whitechapel's country cousin.

Imp: Citrus. Mostly grapefruit. Grapefruit loves my skin almost irrationally.

Wet: It smells exactly like the grapefruit body wash the Body Shop (used to?) sell(s). Really, really strong grapefruit and yet kind of boring because it is grapefruit and only grapefruit.

Dry: Still a strong sharp citrus mainly led by the grapefruit but a bit more floral now. Mild and skin close and not at all interesting on my chemistry. It smells like face wash.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: I don't know why I'm surprised by this one. My skin just doesn't seem to do much with citrus-y scents other than amp them.

One of my favorite scents of all time, with three big "but"s:

- no throw

- fades fast

- the citrus is first to fade, and that's what I like the best about it.

But I'll keep wearing it and I'll just keep reapplying. I like this best about an hour into it. It smells terrific on me, I just wish it would LAST!

Night-Gaunt

On: Yummy, slightly tart, tropical fruits.

Half an hour in: Sightly spoiled fruit.

1 hour in: Powdery, tart fruits.

1.5 hours in: Powdery fruit.

2 hours in: Very faint. Powdery and vaguely floral, with a hint of fruit.

2.5 hours in: Powdery and a bit tart.

Overall: This is just OK on me.

This is so pretty!

Wet: citrusy and lightly floral in a good way, not in any of the typical "dreaded florals" way, and not like the usual "white florals".

After it has a chance to settle - Citrusy and perhaps even resin-y? This stays surprisingly good. It holds up pretty well over the day. It's particularly unexpected here, because such light notes typically fade on me and leave nothing remarkable. This time, they have settled back into what is still a very pretty, golden scent on my skin. Nice! Night-Gaunt is definitely a top-quality scent, from the very first moment on, until the end of the day.

Comparisons to other scents: It doesn't really seem snowy to me (as other reviewers had said), but it does remind me of Manhattan, which in turn reminds me of Cloister Graveyard in the Snow, so I can see a relationship there. It's fruitier & sweeter / more carefree than Manhattan. And, it's not really like Mag Mell (especially since MM has a vanilla note that is not present in N-G), but it is in the same light-bright-golden family.

This had real promise in the imp. It was a bright, refreshing grapefruit. On my skin, it turned into grapefruit soap or laundry detergent. Damned snow-dusted florals! :huh?: This would have been perfect if it was grapefruit-citrus blended with a shimmering white musk rather than florals.