Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

Night-Gaunt

Their scent of their slick, rubbery hides is bittersweet, ticklish, and skin-creeping: something akin to yuzu, white grapefruit, and kumquat mixed with the snow-dusted flowers of Mount Ngranek.

In this imp: this was very bright, tart and strong. I picked it because I thought it would have a ton of throw and I was in the mood for something "throwy". :D

On skin, wet: Bright citrus. I don't want to say "grapefruit", because it doesn't have the bitterness I associate with grapefruit. It's more like...something between orange and grapefruit. I guess than must be the yuzu.

On skin, dry: Still citrus, with an undertone of a non-citrus fruit. My husband said it reminded him of kiwifruit, but when I said "kumquat" he said "Oh, yeah!"

Half an hour later: Gone, gone, gone. :P My prime desires in a great blend (other than it smelling good) are throw and staying power, and this has neither. It smelled wonderful while it lasted, though, Edited by Shollin

Imp: Grapefruit and something sweeter, maybe kumquat?

Wet: All grapefruit, baby.

Drydown: wow, this morphs into something much softer. Sort of flowery sweet, with a bit of tartness still left over from the grapefruit. I like this, but it faded quickly.

I received this as a frimp with my last order and was a bit skeptical about it. I looked it up on the sight before even opening the imp and made a face of disgust (anything lime is YUCK so I assumed citrus eww). I'd tried nothing in the Arkham list and really wasn't too terribly interested. I opened up the imp anyway.

A lesson to me to not be closed minded about the names of perfumes and holding citrus against them. When I opened the imp I winced, it was slightly astringent and fruity (Citrus). About ten years ago, something bad happened to my sense of smell and since then fruity anything just is bad for me. I put this on anyway knowing in the imp and out of the imp are two different things.

Confession, I love oranges and the rind of the orange has been the only thing exempt from the weird fruity hell and sometimes I'll rub orange rind on me cause I love the smell...

On my skin the weird fruity ood smell morphed into something incredibly delicious, wonderful and lovely. I wish I could describe, it's candied citrus and floral. It would be a great summer scent, it's just clean and happy. My skin really, really amps florals so the citrus floral is just perfect for me and has a wonderful throw. I feel like I have an orange rind perfume, only better!

I see by reviews that this hasn't been lasting on people. Wow! This lasts! I put some on Sunday today is Tuesday (I missed my shower yesterday please don't hold it against me) and Night-Gaunt is still going strong and beautiful.

This is my favorite scent period. If I was only allowed one BPAL scent for the rest of my life, this would be it..until death us do part.

Edited by Elvena

In the bottle: Pink grapefruit.

Wet: Still sweetly grapefruity, but something floral hiding.

Dry: Mostly floral (a nice, classic, white sort of floral) with a hint of lingering fruity-sweetness.

Summary: Sadly it doesn't hold all that well, and the citrus fades too much, but I still really like this.

For some reason, white grapefruit smells like pink grapefruit and vice versa, with all the lab's grapefruit notes. This is oil is one I need to retest to see if it's bottle-worthy.

In the Imp

Sweet, light, and fruity. Reminds me a bit of what Eris eventually smelt like on my skin.

On Me

Very VERY subtle. Pretty much fades down the moment I put it on, though a few hours afterwards, I lose the fruitiness and there's a slightly dusty intense floral blend happening with a sharp woody note coming through.

In the imp, it smells mostly like grapefruit, with some kumquat. A sharp, almost biting, but somewhat sweet scent.

On my skin, the grapefruit mellows a bit to allow more of the kumquat to be smelled, as well as the yuzu. The floral, whatever it is, actually works on me -- which is somewhat amazing. It adds just a hint of sweetness to the scent, and balances out some of the sharpness of the citrus. I might have to buy a bottle of this once the imp runs out.

In the imp, I can definitely smell the fruit - especially the grapefruit and the kumquat.

It's very hard to smell on my skin - the kumquat is definitely dominant, its juiciness, highlighted by the tartness of the grapefruit.

When it dries, it's a fruity scent, but there's an almost spiciness to it that's really interesting.

In vial:Bitter grapefruit

Wet: I can smell the yuzu and oh I am in love.

Dry: This has become very complex, deeper, richer and darker. I preferred the lighter scent from when it was wet.

In the bottle: sharp and fruity.

Wet: same. Delicious!

Drydown - 1.5 hours: an interesting smell. Very sharp and sour... to be honest the real scent memory I get is of the sour apple BubbleYum gum. It's deliciously sour and fruity.

1.5 hours on: a little more mellow. But still delicious!

Throw: you know, after all the scents I've tried, I think that my skin just EATS them. I haven't tried anything that has a real good throw, so that might just be me.

Result: Totally bottleworthy. I love it. :P

In the imp: Grapefruit!

It stays a tart grapefruit on my skin; wow, this is really true to the fruit. Unfortunately, grapefruit smells akin to B.O. on me. *sigh* To the "DO NOT WANT" bag with thee!

Wow! This is definitely white grapefruit, not pink. It has that sharper citrus air to it that reminds me of zesting the rind of citrus fruits. Beyond that there is a touch of floral and a touch of fruitiness, but they remain subtle nuances that enhance the white grapefruit. Since I love grapefruit, I am going to have to keep this one. It's very invigorating.

The initial fruit notes are strong and sweet, but then I get something dusty and bitter that grows and grows, until the overall effect is melon and grapefruit plus sawdust and dry rot.

In The Bottle

Kumquat with a touch of grapefruit. I am suprised as i thought the yuzu and grapefruit would leap out of theimp.

On Application

Glorious yuzu! :P Slightly sweetened by the kumquat

Dry Down

The flowers add an interesting backing to this scent as it dries down - almost honey-like (honeysuckle?). I've got Baobhan Sith on one arm and this on another. Interesting to compare. Night Gaunt is warmer and fruitier. So far I have loved the yuzu and the grapefruit blends from the lab and this is no exception. :D

Rating (0-5)

I'm so darned happy. I loved Aizen-Myoo, but it turned awful on my skin. Whatever was present in Aizen-Myoo that took such a wretched turn must be absent in Night-Gaunt. And the result is bright, refreshing, and beautiful. I think I've finally found a strong citrus BPAL that works on my skin. Yea!!! :P

For the first time, I sniffed and hit the main ingredient on the head without having to do my usual "this is familiar, what is it." This is grapefruit. Wait. I am wrong. This is GRAPEFRUIT!!!!!1!!! Screamingly grapefruit. Freshly squeezed juice with bits of pulp and a seed on the bottom of the glass. Were I to try and sip, my face would implode. It would be that sharp and biting. However, on my skin it is DIVINE!!! It is fresh and invigorating. After drying, I can detect a floral in the background. I adore this. Definitely a good one when silent Reveille is needed. This is better than an old bugle any day.

in imp: citrus. grapefruit mostly. i don't really like grapefruit and yuzu is just more grapefruit. yuzu makes good chu-hai's but thats about it. i think this needs a new home.

The kumquat in this is sharp and bitter. Aizen-Myoo starts off this way on me but it fades into something softer...Night-Gaunt doesn't. Too strong.

i saved this to test when i thought i was up to grapefruit. thats all i smelled when i opened the frimp. on wet its sugared grapefruit (maybe combo with the kumquat, never smelled a kumquat). Dry the grapefruit softens and theres some floral notes. this is interesting and very different from the scents i normally wear. i think i like it.

Wet, this is almost all grapefruit.

Drying, the citrus comes out the support the grapefruit. There is also a note that's like the bitter white underlayer of the peel. The citrus is very sharp at this point.

Dry, it's grapefruit/citrus, and something sweetish underneath that might be a floral. The citrus/grapefruit notes have mellowed out and are not so sweet, and makes it wearable. Otherwise, it could be far too overwhelming! It makes a nice substitute for Ebisu Making Love while Two Octopus Look On, though it has a lot more citrus than that one.

This is definitely a good one! I notice that my favorites in the general catalog tend to all come from the Picnic In Arkam line. Interesting about that.

In the imp: soft grapefruit.

Wet: It starts out pretty sharp, distinctly citrus. It's not hurt your nose sharp, but it's not exactly pleasant to me either.

Drydown: This softens out into something a little more floral, almost has a crisp aquatic feel to it. The grapefruit fades away almost altogether, which is good because that's certainly not my favorite note. It's like a clean powdery floral to me.

Overall: Not really for me. It's not bad, but it's not something I feel the need to wear again. I prefer spicier, sexier scents, and this is more of a clean, fresh floral.

I love grapefruit/citrus-y scents, so I am hopeful about this one.

In the imp, this is strong, fresh grapefruit and yuzu. Ooo yum! This reminds me of the Body Shop's pink grapefruit soap! A gorgeous perfect grapefruit scent! I am going to let this sit for a bit to check the staying power (darn citrus scents and their fading!), and if this lasts a decent amount of time, I can definitely see this being a keeper.

Hmm, darn, this does fade REALLY fast. It's completely gone within an hour. My skin just swallowed it up. So I'm not sure I would purchase this blend. I do think it is a nice grapefruit blend though, especially if you are looking for a true fresh grapefruit scent that isn't super sweet or sugary.

In the imp: Definite citrus rind, mostly kumquat and white grapefruit.

Wet: The flowers come out. Slight sweetness. I don't know what yuzu smells like, but if it's slightly sweet, then it's this.

Dry: Sweet grapefruit candy. Smells yummy. After a long while, the snow covered flowers really come out, and it smells like Snow Bunny with grapefruit. Pretty.

Overall: I was expecting something really dark, and nasty. But this is pretty, and it fits a night-gaunt perfectly.

Smell alike: a long lost and bitter relative of *Aizen-Myoo* ?

Color impression: Dusty yellow

On me: It's pleasant and fresh, all grapefruit and citrus on my skin. The blend is only a tiny bit sweetened by a tamed kumquat. The all thing tends to get a bit too peppery on the edge

Wearing: I like it. Deeply. Just don't know when and how I could use this one ^^;