Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The essence of nobility, brutality and true Will made flesh and propelled through the eons by an ever-burning hatred: black patchouli, neroli, tonka, cinnamon, bitter clove, leather, black musk, coffin wood and fiery ginger.

i haven't actually tried this one myself, i've been starting a 'boy' scent imp box and my boyfriend tried it of his own accord.

good boy.

at first i thought it smelled almost MINTY. but on the drydown it's definitely gone ginger and clove, with a hint of leather. although i really wanted Doc Constantine to work on him, it went off into too musky a scent, but the Count is right up my alley. it's masculine, with a soft side to it that i really, really enjoy. and now i may go pounce him. :P

Take Spanked, remove the cardamom and the boozy swoon, and put in clove. Meet the Count.

I love warmth and leather, so the Count suits me just fine. This is spicy, leathery goodness. Not much in the way of throw (this is a clingy skin-smell), but I may be tempted into purchasing this one...

Edited by McQueen

First of all, I just have to say that the clove in this is amazing!!!

This scent is absolutely perfect on the boy-- spicy, smokey, mysetious, warm, dark, and intoxicating with some enchanting sweetness lingering in the background. Yep, this does smells cologne-ish, but in a GOOD way... mixed with the very best clove smoke. It's distinguished and a little naughty at the same time.

Must.........Go........Smell.........Boyfriend....... :P

Count Dracula

I really thought I'd like Dracula, lots of great notes, but alas (or thank god my wallet) no. It feels familiar - yet another scent with a "vintage" vibe to it. It reminds me a bit of pine needles (dry) and other that that it's sour, sharp, powdery, sweet, warm, and unfortunately soapy. In my hair it's a nice enough sweet, buttery leather, something like Torture King but sweeter I think, but on my skin mostly soapy.

In the bottle: Sweet, spicy, but sharp, too.

Wet: Clove and maybe a hint of ginger if you sniff close, but the throw is sweet leather and woods with a hint of musk and tonka. Very pleasant.

Dry: The throw gets sweeter and the clove calms down and becomes this generally spicy smell.

I actually got this one about two weeks ago, but the first time I tried it, it was so weak and disappointing that I set it asside to bloom a bit before trying it again. I'm glad I did. It's gotten so much more beautiful with age, and is now everything I'd expected of it. Definately a keeper.

Patchouli, cinnamon, cloves, and the sweetness of tonka to keep it from being too sharp. As it dries, I can smell some ginger as well. It's good! Masculine but not so much that I can't wear it. I'll echo the sentiment that this is a great fall scent.

This is the last of my OotD testers, and I think, in this case, I saved the best for last. :P

I bought this for my boyfriend, but I'm not giving it to him before christmas. Anyway I had to try it on myself and this is lovely! Sexy, seductive and spicy scent, I love cinnamon in this! I can't wait to give count dracula to my boy, this is heavenly! (I could wear it myself too even though I don't usually like to wear masculine scents, but this is something I love. I think I should buy another 5ml while they're still available :P ) My boy will fall in love with this scent! Wow... I will update after christmas if he likes it or not (but I know he will :D )

This started out warm and spicy on me---promising---but eventually went to a "used big red gum" stage...now it is like a spicy soap. Pleasant, but much nicer on the Hubby.

I just want to type OMG OMG OMG eleventy-one! over and over. Wow. Especially since it started off pretty meh, and the cinnamon amped way up, and then for a while it smelled sort of like Three Witches with a metallic blood tang behind it. Now, I love Three Witches, but it wasn't enough different in interesting ways to displace them.... but then came drydown.

Whoah. Heaven. Or given the subject, possibly Hell. A really, really sweet Hell, though. Must be the tonka.

Must Find A Money Tree and Buy A Bottle Of This. Or maybe two. Oooh!

In the bottle: I gave this one a whiff after going through a lot of floral and fruit scents. It's good to come home to the Dark Side, baby. Dark and spicy--tonka, cinnamon and patchouli all front and center.

Wet: I'm really shocked here--it's the neroli that's strongest on me, and I can also smell the tonka (how bizarre--tonka disappears on me in light blends like Sybaris, but is prominent among all these heavy-hitter notes). The patchouli, so strong in the bottle, fades into the background.

Drydown and wear: With scents like this, it's not a matter of 'will it work on my skin?' but a matter of 'is it unique enough to hold its own niche among my other incense/leather/wood blends?' In this case, the answer is yes, because there's an amazing clove that emerges as it dries down and stays active hours after I applied. That makes this scent, which falls into the pleasant company of (new) Hellfire, Herr D and others, unique enough to stick around. I recommend this one highly.

COUNT DRACULA

In Bottle: Dark smoky cloves

On Skin: This is a scent I instantly don’t like. Sorry Beth!! It goes all wonky on my skin… and I just can’t bare to smell it. The clove is strongest followed by the ginger. Usually I like ginger but this ginger is pungent and is not my friend. The other notes in the background are beautiful, most obviously the leather and black musk, two notes I love. I think I would love this scent if it didn’t have the ginger and clove, but it does so I can not love it. Sorry. :P It has a strong throw and I’m note sure of the wearlength because I had to wash it off.

On first snifff - Wow. Spicy! It smells like burying my nose in some really strong masala chai tea, complete with the slight black-pepper nose-burn. (Though looking at the description, it doesn't seem to have black pepper in it. Smells like it does, though!) It's very strong, and, for lovers of spicy scents, really nice. Definitely a certain kinship with Three Witches, but more complex and a bit darker.

It definitely doesn't seem like a men's scent to me, just a ferociously spicy one, with incensey undercurrents. Very appealling, if a bit aggressive. But as it eventually dries down, the leather and wood come out a bit, and I could see it working well on a man, though it's not bad on me either. At that stage it does smell a bit like "Hey! I'm wearing a guy scent!" but not too much.

I don't really see it as all that vampire-ish, though -- it's too hot, and I tend to see vampires as cold. The whole Evil Chai feeling is more what I would expect a Rakshasa (Indian tiger-demon) to smell like (never been sure why those get a rose scent in BPAL...).

I like it, but I'm not altogether sure it merits a bottle purchase -- maybe if it kept that initial spicy heat longer, or if what it dried down to was a bit less guy-scent-ish. But it probably make a killer scent on a guy, or on a woman whose skin handled leathery/woody scents better than mine does.

Grade: B+

Edited by Miss Lynx

The notes in this made me sit up and take notice, so I had to try it.

Spice! Loads of spice. Clove is what I get from it, mainly, with other things dancing around so far in the background that it's hard to tell what they are.

It's nice, but I guess I amp clove too much to wear this.

My first review :P

Bottle: Spice, smoke, patchouli

Wet on Skin: cinnamon, tempered with a mixed spice, almost soapy (but very pleasant) note

Dry: cinnamon still but with a crisp bite, like the first true winter wind. Very spicy...not an everyday scent, but something for a special, perhaps sensual, occasion

In the bottle - Ginger, with just a tiny bit of wood

Wet on me - A harsh, almost metallic, tang of clove

Dry on me - Harsh ginger and clove, finally fading to a soft creamy vanilla

Overall - I like the dry down, but in general this blend was a bit 'meh' on me.

This is Winter of Our Discontent with a smoky note. It may be the bitter clove they share - bitter clove, apparently differs from ordinary clove in Al-Shairan and my spice box. It is a darker scent than Winter of Our Discontent, and though I love W.O.O.D, I will hold on to the Count for now, although I do not think I will wear him often.

Yummy! Patchouli and spices at first, and in a few minutes the pile of spices overwhels the patchouli, and the neroli & tonka poke their little heads out. The spice is what drew me to this, and I love it. It's not really christmas spice, mostly just clove and ginger. Boy smelled it on me, and said it's too girly for him. He just doesn't get it. :P

This is a pile of spices laying on top of old, dusty, black brocade.

Dracula was one of my favorite books when I was in middle school, loving the dark mystery of the story. Of course, the notes here sound fab, if somewhat dark for my personality. :P

In the bottle - The cinnamon, clove and ginger are just firey like mad here. There is a dark woodiness in the back ground, as well as a nice basis of musk. Yum.

Wet - Fire fire fire! Spicey fire!

Drying - I never thought of Dracula as this... cinnamon. And it's a STRONG cinnamon. It's a smooth scent, though, sexy and tempting. The musk and the neroli work together the best in this, the spice giving it a kick. I really do like it, even if it isn't how I imagined.

Dry (45 minutes) - The throw on this is quite sweet; neroli, tonka and musk float around me with a touch of clove and cinnamon. Closer to the skin the patchouli just barely peeks out, but there's just no wood.

Overall - This is just sweeter and more feminine than I thought it would be, but it's still lovely. It's got great throw from just a little dab, so I can see this being a keeper for me. :D Of course, I'm going to be trying it out on the More than Friend, just to see what it's like on a man.

I really wanted this to work on me, but all I got was very heavy, very masculine clove and leather.

However...I gave it as a gift to a very genderflexible friend, she put it on, and she and her girlfriend immediately began necking on my couch. I thought I was going to have to get a hose to get them off each other...they swear that they were overcome by the power of the BPAL.

:P

Very good, but not on me.

Wow, just wow. This is my very favorite of all of the OOTD scents, I think - rich and spicy with a rich undercurrent of sweetness. I would have sworn up and down that there was honey or something overtly sweet in this (other than the neroli), but I think that may chemistry my just take the patchouli/tonka combo and make it something wonderfully caramelly.

This is the scent of sweet burning passion, of the vampire kiss, of the irristible danger that is Dracula. And boy do I love it.

This is a feral, masculine, dark gothic type scent that clings very close to the skin. I bought this as a gift for the hubbie, and he likes it; he just wishes it had more throw and sticking power. It's a very sexy scent. The cinnamon and leather are the top notes on me, with the black patchouli, clove and ginger as firey undertones. The leather is so distinctly a "black leather" note; I don't know why :P. It's a very pulsating, bloody, suck my neck type scent; just perfect for the Count Dracula. I love this one on my man, but not quite my thing. Original and sexy, nice work guys!

Mmmm...spicy sweet leather-patchouli! All these notes really work together. I guess it's the leather that's giving it the sweetness, because I could swear that there's some honey or dark fruit or something in here. I like the edge that the spices give it.

This is rich in the bottle, dark and slow. Patchouli, musk, and the spices come out ahead. There's definitely ginger, and a strong underdraft of leather. Usually I can't smell leather in the bottle, it only appears once it's on my skin. This is promising!

On, it's a rich shadow of a scent lit by a blazing halo of furious spices. And I mean "furious." This smells really, really angry. Like Shub's pissed off big brother. The fiery spices are a perfect match with the raw but torpid power of the earthy black patchouli. The leather adds just the right touch of villainous gloating. F***ing perfect.

It stays just this good, a spicy, dark drydown. The patchouli stays earthy but crisp, never gets that gross murky tinge, probably because of the musk and spices. It's a wonderful scent!

Based on the notes, I ordered a full bottle of this from someone on the Sin & Salvation forum untested. Took a chance I did!

In the bottle, leather, spice, warm, very male, and sexy.

On me, chai tea! Then, it settles down into a very mellow leather & spice that simply rocks on me. I get an occasional whiff of cinnamon, and tea too.

Verdict, I am VERY happy I took a chance on buying a full bottle.

:P