Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Rough on the edges, but possessing the true essence of valor and nobility of spirit: tobacco, vanilla, white pear, cedar, rugged musk and saddle leather.

Bright leather with wisps of tobacco. "Bright" is the best word I can use to describe it - there is something uplifting about this scent that makes me really enjoy it, even though it's not something I think I would typically wear. I need to try this one on Lee.

Big sharp ozone smell in the imp, but when it hit my skin, it sweetened up. Now I smell like the leather store in the mall. Seriously. Soft leather, with ozone and just a tiny hint of sweetness. I really like it, though I can't imagine I'll have much call to wear it. I hope it'll smell good on the hubby, too.

ETA: On the husband, it smelled like cigarettes. Nothing but tobacco. ::sigh::

Edited by harmonyfb

Mmmm... this one is surprisngly good on me too!! The saddle leather note is the leather note I've been hoping BPAL would get... it's so deliciously leather boot smelling... < swoons > The vanilla and white pear add a lovely sweetness to this without making it lose any masculinity. Just wonderful!! I shall definitely have to buy a bottle or 2 of this one!! If only for the wonderfully heady leather scent.

Oh dear oh dear, Quincy is making me feel dizzy and unwell :P I get an awfully strong, slightly chemically leather from this oil and nothing else, I smell like a new sofa :D This is not good, I am going to have to wash him off :D

Edited by Bagfish

In the bottle: OMGLEATHER. *blinkblinkblinkblink* Yowza. I didn't think leather could be so readily identifiable.

Wet: Still leather. Sweetened a bit, though. I can catch whiffs of the tobacco in the background. I can't find the pear, though.

Dry: Leather. Which is funny because I figured the leather'd fade out after a while. Nope. The tobacco has shifted to just a background note giving a little bit of depth, and still no pear.

I don't think I'll have reason to wear this by itself, but I'm betting it'll be fantastic layered with something else to help add a bit more depth.

ETA: I put Mr Morris in that box reserved for aging, and then forgot about him. Until today (it's been about a month), when I decided (without telling him) to annoint my fiance's leather jacket (which doesn't smell leathery enough). I pulled out Mr Morris, and what did I find? Pear. There's pear and tobacco and OTHER SMELLS in the leather. I was so happy. My fingers smell fantastic, and so does the boy's jacket. I'll have to do another proper review of Mr Morris now that he's a bit older and wiser. I get the feeling he's going to age FANTASTICALLY. Huzzah for older men! :P

Edited by Lana Blade

In the bottle tobacco. And a hint of cedar? Strong throw. Really strong. I get some on my finger accidentally and a soft leather (you know the expensive buttery type) comes through. Definitely masculine.

On the boy the leather really comes through and once in a while I'll get a whiff of something fruity. He approves of this scent -- hooray! I LOVE this smell on him, he smells sooo good. The imp is enough as he'll only be wearing it around me and since you only need a very tiny bit, this will last a looong time.

Quincey gets a thumbs up from me.

QUINCEY MORRIS

Having read the description a million times I refrained from buying this oil, but the reviews gave way to my instincts and I had to try this leather scent.

In reality, I'd have nothing to do with this sort of man, just not my type, nor is this scent. Beth describes the mood of this scent aptly, it is not an offensive, nor does it pack a punch. It has a sweet leather smell. I smell the leather, and I smell berries. I smell a man who doesn't have a hard bone in his body. He's sweet, simple, and senstitive and I'm going to walk all over him.

This smells like leather. It does, but it's just such a sweet leather that it makes me punchy.

"Miss Lucy, I know I ain't good enough to regulate the fixin's of your little shoes.."

You're damn straight, you aren't, though I give you points for being on target.

I suppose I need a mean leather scent to satisfy my needs, and unfortunately this does not fit the bill. Like I said before, it is aptly described, and if you are looking for a sweet leather smell, you will NOT be disappointed. It's just not my speed.

Well done, Beth. A most apt capturing of this character in a bottle!

Edited by Shollin

When I read this, my first thought was, "Hey, that sounds like Tombstone without the sassafras!" And indeed this is very much what I'd hoped to get from Tombstone before discovering that sassafras doesn't work for me. The primary scent is leather, with vanilla-sweet and cedar-sharp underneath. For once, the vanilla doesn't amp up much on my skin -- it stays a sweet undernote. I never really caught the tobacco or pear, and I suspect that the musk is just a grounding in this blend. It's on the masculine side, but in a way that feels tomboyish rather than inappropriate; Annie Oakley would have worn a scent like this, I think. I'll join the chorus saying that it's the same leather note as Dead Man's Hand, but in a more complex blend.

Staying power is a little strange; it dropped fairly quickly to "little or no throw", and then stayed active for quite a while. Ten hours later, I can still catch a faint whiff on my wrists -- and there's the barest hint of the aquatic note that someone mentioned above, which I hadn't picked up at all until now. Bottom line: this is going to be not just a keeper, but likely a favorite.

In the vial: This is a very faint scent. I get wisps of pear and not much else.

Wet: Still very faint. If I put my nose close to my skin I can get the pear again, with maybe a little leather.

Drydown: This is an odd scent on me. Again, close to the skin I get very faint leather and pear. But occasionally I get whiffs of the same. It's unusual, and enough for me to keep the imp at least.

LEATHER. That's what I smell in the imp -- not the leather from De Sade, a more work-worn leather. On me, the tobacco peeks out and the pear jumps ahead to keep it from getting too masculine.

Morris is a welcoming, easy kind of scent. It really brings the character of Quincey Morris to mind. This is a brilliant portrait. And it's a great perfume, as well; I'd love to try it out on a man just to see what happens.

The only downside is that it doesn't have a lot of throw. All the better for nuzzling. :P

The immediate association I have with this scent is very strong and unmistakable but I don't it will make sense to anyone but me. It smells exactly like my parents' basement when I would go down in December to bring the Christmas decorations out of storage. It smells exactly like it. I don't know why, except that it smells of must and dust. The leather scent does go straight up the back of my nose until I can taste it on my tongue, but it still comes across as a musty scent.

Pear is front and center, which is great -- I enjoy the sharp, tart, fruity scent. I have no idea why old Christmas ornaments in the basement smell like that, but they do. Maybe the pear is even coming across a little like a sweet evergreeny kind of smell.

Leather and pear, this stays strong, sweetening slightly on my skin with time as the vanilla and tobacco meld into a distant smokiness.

I don't actually like leather as a scent, though in some blends it had a resinous quality when I wear it. In others, it's just sharp and unpleasant. In this, it is very dusty, though it's the perfect surface for the pear and tobacco to play on, and this is one that really needs to spend some time on your skin to get everything to come together.

I mainly wear scents that are considered masculine, so this is great for me, and very unique in my collection. Leather and pear? Sure, why not! I thought the leather would put me off but it's really quite nice. It doesn't smell like a handbag or a jacket. It does smell like the basement, but that's my own weird thing I guess.

I tried this on my husband, and oof -- far too leathery, much like Loviatar on me. No vanilla and just the tiniest hint of pear. He said it reminded him of a barber shop, so off it goes. :P

So far, the OotD scents are not anything like their descriptions on me. This one is very interesting...

I have a strong scent memory that comes up with this one...it smells like a hint of comforting dryer sheets from my past with an overwhelming odor of this guy I was really hot for in High School...it smells like his waterbed.

(I won't say how I know that. :P )

Very light, pleasant smell.

Anyway, these are for my hubby and they will be totally different on him, but I couldn't resist trying them myself and giving a review.

QUINCEY MORRIS

In Bottle: Sweet and smoky leather

On Skin: I smell leather right away and it is sweetened by the vanilla and pear beautifully. I love how they meld together… it isn’t sickly sweet or fruity or pure leather, it’s all of them combined to make a gorgeous scent. I also love that the leather is not dry or dusty, it’s well oiled, well taken care of leather. It reminds me of my husbands newest leather coat that he babies. The tobacco gives a smoky rugged background while the musk and cedar offer a deep, dark base. This is super masculine, but soft and comforting. I would love to snuggle with my husband wearing this blend. It has a pretty light throw as far as the notes it has in it, but the wearlength seems to be about average.

OK, here's the Texas guy for the (adopted) Texas gal!

In bottle: sour, acrid juice of some kind

On skin: yum, there's that Dead Man's Hand leather that I love love love :P The black leather blends (DeSade, Whip, etc.) are too processed and "city" for me, if that makes any sense. This leather is warm and well-worn. This is sweeter than DMH (which seems watery and clear to me, if I had to visualize), which must be the additional fruity pear. I'm almost moaning, this smells so nice.

Half-hour later: creamier with the smooth vanilla nearby

In conclusion: hands-down my favorite of the OotD series -- the few others I've tried have been very floral and feminine, even drug-addled Dr. Seward. This is more masculine, but something I would happily wear on a daily basis. LOVE!

A pleasant scent, certainly. The pear was forefront, with a little vanilla in evidence, but really nothing special. :P No bottle here.

Quincey Morris - Oooh, this is a wonderful blend! When I sniff it in the bottle, it smells exactly like the leather in Dead Man’s Hand, but the moment it touches my skin, it softens and gets a little sweeter and sexier. While Dead Man’s Hand smells like a tack room, Quincey Morris smells like the most sexy and romantic cowboy you’ve ever met. Gah -- this blend is a cowboy romance film in a bottle! The notes are so exquisitely blended that I cannot distinguish any of the notes other than the leather, yet I can tell they are there – with the exception of the cedar, which I don’t smell at all (and which thrills me since cedar tends to ruin things for me). I don’t see myself wearing this often, but I think I will save it and wear it when I go see my mom’s horses show, or other times when I’m in a cowboy kind of mood. Even more importantly, I’m going to save my bottle of this in the hopes that my husband will wear it. He’s the furthest thing from a cowboy, but cowboy or not, this is a very sexy man-scent.

Edited by edenssixthday

In the bottle: I was so excited after reading the reviews--I even held off on an order yesterday because I thought that I might want another bottle. I was expecting this great, clean leather, but all I got was pear. I wouldn't have been able to guess there was much leather in here at all if I didn't know the note list.

Wet: No tobacco. No leather. Pears. Maybe a bit of musk. I'm flummoxed...leather and cedar usually amp all the way up on my skin. I didn't realize there was cedar in this until I read the whole note list again at the top.

Drydown and wear: There's a small bit of leather that comes through, and I get some leafy tobacco, but this is all pears. Sigh.

In the imp: whoa. the pear and the tobacco and the leather sort of thwack you in the nose - this is a dirty and very male scent.

On me, wet: vanilla tobacco and some dirty pear behind it, being weird and almost sharp - I think the cedar is coming out, too.

On me, dry: No, I really don't like that cedar-pear combination - it smells almost mouldy to me, and unfortunately it's dominating the scent.

Verdict: This didn't work at all on the SO when he tried it, and it doesn't work on me at all. Ick.

Quincey was my favorite character from the book, so I was eager to try this out. If this scent were a man, I would never let him get away. Oh my goodness, I love this. The leather/pear, "cowboy" notes come through on me immediately and strongly, with just a hint of the heart of gold underneath, but after a couple of hours the leather retreats into the background and the whole thing melds into a beautiful round fruity whole. Sniffing my wrists all day.

Rating: 5/5.

In the bottle - Cedar and leather

Wet on me - Cedar, but buried under something sharp and medicinal

Dry on me - Clean leather fading to a slight vanilla with whisps of tobacco

Overall - I think that I had overly high expectations of this blend, so whilst it is nice, I'm finding it hard to muster much enthusiasm for it

In a last minute panic I picked this up. If the pear was subtle it would work on the boy and if the pear was pronounced it would work for me.

It works for me.

It's the leather from Dead Man's Hand for sure (yay!) with a juicy pear overtone. The pear does die away in the drydown but overall it gives this blend a nice softness and character.

In the bottle, this one smells a little foody to me, and a little boozy to the boy.

The pear is super pronounced wet, but dry on the boy it smells a whole lot like the Renn faire we go to. Warm leather, a little sweetness of vanilla, faint tobacco, faint pear and the woods the faire is held in. We lurve it!

Quincey Morris:

First sniff: Cowboy boots and…something else. This doesn’t smell like a leather jacket. It smells like cowboy boots. I should know…I live in TX.

Wet on Skin: Damn. This is hot. It smells like cowboy boots and clean man-sweat. This guy has just taken a shower, and is stacking hay in the barn. I am totally loving this smell, and wish I could smell it on a male.

Dry: This is the first BPAL leather scent I’ve tried, and I must say, I’ve fallen in love. I wish I had tried Quincey in time to order a 5mL. Quincey turns into a dusty sweet leather on me…I love it so much. It reminds me of cleaning my saddles. Saddle soap mixed with leather and horse sweat. Some of the best smells on earth.

Random imp picked out pile of imps to test ... I'm not sure what drew me to picking this up as a decant, I might've been curious about the scent of leather. It probably helped that vanilla was mentioned.

In the imp I smell ... new leather boots. What I normally associate with tobacco is the smell of the cigarettes DH has, before they are lit: dried sultanas, which I don't detect here... there's something woodsy about the hint of vanilla I smell, and there's something there that I think might be pear.

Wet on skin, the leather and pear settle down a bit. This being my first scent with leather, I'm not sure if I like it on me, but I do appreciate it being there. I wonder what this would be like on a guy; it's not really something DH would go for though - he's more a fresh green scent kind of guy.

Once it's dry, it's quite a mellow scent. The vanilla and musk seem to round out the scent, with the pear providing a tiny bit of sweetness. Despite this, Quincey Morris feels a little too masculine for me. I'd love for DH to give this a go, because the scent once it's dried down has such a snuggleable feel. I think I'm going to have to find a new home for this lil imp though ...