Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

QUINCEY MORRIS

Well, my dear, number Two came after lunch. He is such a nice fellow, an American from Texas, and he looks so young and so fresh that it seems almost impossible that he has been to so many places and has such adventures... I suppose that we women are such cowards that we think a man will save us from fears, and we marry him. I know now what I would do if I were a man and wanted to make a girl love me. No, I don't, for there was Mr. Morris telling us his stories, and Arthur never told any, and yet...

My dear, I am somewhat previous. Mr. Quincy P. Morris found me alone. It seems that a man always does find a girl alone. No, he doesn't, for Arthur tried twice to make a chance, and I helping him all I could, I am not ashamed to say it now. I must tell you beforehand that Mr. Morris doesn't always speak slang, that is to say, he never does so to strangers or before them, for he is really well educated and has exquisite manners, but he found out that it amused me to hear him talk American slang, and whenever I was present, and there was no one to be shocked, he said such funny things. I am afraid, my dear, he has to invent it all, for it fits exactly into whatever else he has to say. But this is a way slang has. I do not know myself if I shall ever speak slang. I do not know if Arthur likes it, as I have never heard him use any as yet.

Well, Mr. Morris sat down beside me and looked as happy and jolly as he could, but I could see all the same that he was very nervous. He took my hand in his, and said ever so sweetly...

"Miss Lucy, I know I ain't good enough to regulate the fixin's of your little shoes, but I guess if you wait till you find a man that is you will go join them seven young women with the lamps when you quit. Won't you just hitch up alongside of me and let us go down the long road together, driving in double harness?"

Rough on the edges, but possessing the true essence of valor and nobility of spirit: tobacco, vanilla, white pear, cedar, rugged musk and saddle leather.

This is almost entirely leather on me. New, fresh, supple leather. A touch of sweetness, maybe from the pear?

Sweet leather - *swoon* Love this. The fresh pear note is definatly under there, I don't get vanilla at all though. Mostly it is just sweet leather and tobacco. All men should smell this good. I'm not sure I can wear it, but it is definately a scent I would like to snuggle up with. The longer I wear this the more of the pear I am getting. :P

I love the lab’s leather scents. They just smell so sexy on my husband. I’ve been searching for Dead Man’s Hand decants, but I think my search is over because I like this one even better. It’s totally a ‘cowboy’ scent – dry dusty leather. But it’s sweetened just a little by the addition of juicy pear and vanilla -- so I can wear it too! It’s just amazing, what more can I say?

In the bottle: mmm, leather. Like walking in to a posh tack shop.

Wet: Pear and vanilla join the party!

Dry: An elegant leather scent. Glad I have a bottle, I may need more :P

edited due to poor spelling skillz

Edited by Delphinine

Whoah. This one gave me some headache, which stinks. I really wanted to love Quincey!

Chemical incompatibility aside, though, the leather in this does indeed resemble the leather in Dead Man's Hand (for those of you who haven't had the pleasure, the leather in Dead Man's Hand smells like a super expensive, ultraluxe leather jacket), and you really can smell the pear. More importantly, the two don't smell anywhere near as oddly matched as you might think. They actually melt together really well.

A perfect men's blend, really rough-and-tumble dirty, with a romantic underbelly.

I got this one for my boyfriend and boy am I glad I did!!! I have finally gone from my boyfriend rolling his eyes at me when I get new BPAL to "hey I think this one sounds good, will you get it for me"? :D FINALLY.....I think he might be partially enabled.....ANYWAY

This oil is everything I was hoping for...I was hoping it would smell like cowboy and it does....the leather is very strong but there is also a bit of tabacco and vanilla in the background....but the leather is definitely like HERE I AM!!!! Which is ok...this is definitely a masculine scent and I'm glad the boy likes it...I know I do :P

Edited by princessbeena

*sniff* Aaaaaaah! What a scent!!

I love that leather combined with the sweet pear. It smells wonderful. When I first read the description of this scent on the BPAL website, I could not imagine what it would smell like. I thought I could make a good guess with leather, tobacco, musk, cedar, and even vanilla... but the pear threw me off entirely.

But wow, this is something else. It kinda smells like your all-around rugged cowboy... but a clean one, who maybe bakes cookies when he's not out cowboying. There's an unexpected little "oooo, what is that?!" element to this scent. I love a manly man who's just a little bit sensitive, and that's exactly what this smells like.

Beautiful. I mean, I really love this. My husband loves to wear Geek and Dead Man's Hand, and this is going to be another swoonworthy scent on him. :P

Quincey Morris is a wonderful surprise for me...I wasn't really excited about it, and swapped for a little sniffie of it.....Wow! I fell in love with it. On me it is simply leather, with the sweetness of pear and vanilla, and not much else....very simple and beautiful. The other notes quietly support the lovely clean leather smell. To me this is a brown leather, not black leather. It is sweet and surprisingly light smelling, reminding me of a rugged, sweet man with a good heart. I put it on 5 hours ago and it still has pretty good throw, and hasn't changed much from the initial application. Must get a bottle of this before it goes away!

edit: Wanted to add that much later some musk did come out in this blend...but for the most part I didn't smell the musk very much at all, which after thinking about it I thought was unusual (not in a bad way).

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Ok, remember that episode of Ally McBeal where she was shopping and put the lube in her pocket because she was too embarassed to be seen with it in the cart and then forgot to pay for it and was arrested for shoplifting and when all was cleared up, Billy asked "why lube?" and Ally said "have you ever bought a lotto ticket? even though you know you're not gonna win, you can at least hold the ticket in your hand and say 'maybe.' that was my lotto ticket."

Incredibly soft leather, leather throughout. After about ten minutes, the vanilla and pear start peeking thru a bit, but still mostly expensive, supple leather. Within the hour, the vanilla matches the leather. It's soft and dusty and very rich-smelling. It has little to no throw, and is very light.

Sadly, I think this is too masculine for what I like to smell on my own skin. And yet, I have to keep it. Maybe, someday, I can slather this on some lucky sweet cowboy guy. Quincey Morris is my lotto ticket.

I got this thinking it would be nice for my husband but I'm not going to lie...it has yet to move from my bpal box :D

This is very subtle. I smell the cedar and "leather" first which made me think "OK, for Steve"...then, slowly, it started morphing into something very lovely and soft...perhaps it's the pear? Vanilla? I can't tell. I still smell cedar but it isn't overpowering and "man" cologne smelling. Maybe he'll get an imp...but I'm probably keeping the bottle :P

:P It's the same leather as Dead Man's Hand! :D

Erm, excuse me, let me try to be rational.

Quincey goes on in a blast of leather, with undertones of grass/green tea and pear - so basically, Dead Man's Hand + pear at first.

As it starts to dry down, I get the cedar and tobacco notes, and to be honest these went slightly funny on my skin for a little while - like a whiff of far-off air freshener - but as it dried down fully, it all mellowed out very nicely.

It's lovely - very masculine, yet not so much so that I can't wear it. If you like Dead Man's Hand, I highly recommend checking this one out!

In the bottle: It almost smells like Bed of Nails to me...kind of metallic. That's just what it reminds me of, I'm not even sure they have notes in common.

Wet: Same

Dry: The leather and the tobacco coming out...damn, my skin's really amping that tobacco. Eh. I'll try it on the husband...this is okay, but sadly, not really me.

Dry after 5 minutes: Ooh, pear! And the tobacco is fading, so it's like...that pear from the Fruit of the Loom commercials in a dominatrix outfit. :P This is definitely growing on me.

The reviews of this really tempted me, because it sounds so good. But leather often doesn't work on me, though i did like Dead Man's Hand when I sniffed it.

And I like the soft leather of Coyote. But why by another leather blend when I'm not crazy about them?

Still, I wanted to try it, and I got a sniffy.

And I too fell in love.

At first sniff--in the imp and wet--I thought Tombstone meets Coyote! It reminds me of Coyote's soft doeskin, and has the sweet vanilla of Tombstone.

But then it changes. The leather amps, but not overwhelmingly so, and the vanilla calms down, and what I get is the most gorgeous masculine scent. I'd love a man that smelled like this, and the thing is, it doesn't smell like perfume, but like the scent of a gorgeous man--his own warm skin scent, the leather of his jacket. Gorgeous!

I agree, this is not black leather like Iago or Loviatar. To me this is soft, buckskin, warm golden suede. Velvety leather, with a sweetness all its own.

Still, it was close enough to Coyote I thought I'd better put them both on. Sure enough, for awhiel they were similiar enough that I couldn't really see how I could justify buying Quincy Morris.

But after, say, an hour, I began to wonder. I couldn't stop sniffing QM, and it faded down to something I liked more than Coyote--it faded to a sweet pear with just a hint of leather.

Plus, I could still smell its sweetness in the morning.

Now I'm torn. My BPAL philosophy has been to buy whatever I want (and can afford) to try, but to be ruthless in either selling or swapping--ie. no similiar scents, because I can't afford to keep them all if I want to try the new ones.

So I shouldn't get this. I have Coyote, and while QM is better on me, they're close enough. And I don't wear Coyote much anyway.

but I adore this.

I suspect I'll probably buy a bottle. After all, I already swapped for one the halloweenies I was going to buy..... :P

straight sniff from bottle this is leather, leather and more leather :P

golly!! once applied this gets super sweet....a strong pear note melds with

the leather...this is s-t-r-o-n-g folks and not for the faint-of-heart :D

after awhile this mellows...i get a bit of musk and perhaps the tiniest

bit of vanilla....no tobacco and no cedar can be detected on my skin....hmmm....

if you are a leather lover this blend was made for you .... quite manly

In the imp, Quincey is leather, but in a buttery, buckskin sort of way. No hard black leather here. When it hits my skin, it's again soft leather that quickly dries down into a really nummy rush of pear and vanilla. Then after 5 minutes, it's back to the soft leather smell that's backed up by the mild sweetness of the pear and vanilla. If my body would not amp leather to degree that it does, Quincey would hold greater potential, but I do largely consider it a manly-man scent in a good-guy sort of way. Absurd as this sounds, it's how I imagine Marshall Dillon on "Gunsmoke" would have smelled.

Holy smokes! I don’t know what I can add to the reviews already here, but I will echo that this is all leather. Sweet leather. Strong leather. Leather, leather, leather.

When I first smelled this in the bottle, it was sweetness with a leather base but once applied, damn, the leather amps up and overpowers the sweetness of the pear. I don’t get any vanilla, cedar or tobacco from this.

With the leather I’m getting an oily smell, leading me to think of oiled leather, smooth and polished, not buckskin and suede. It’s like that mineral note in Black Opal. Very similar but instead of soft vanilla, it’s paired with strong, sturdy leather. There are similarities here too to Coyote, but Coyote to me is more amber, warmth and soft suede. Quincy is cold and hard despite the sweetness the pear brings.

This is a really interesting scent. I like it and I’m glad that I got a bottle. I think there could be some really great layering possibilities here too in addition to just enjoying it on its own.

Quincey Morris-

In Bottle: Mmm, leather! The refined leather of Dead Man's Hand (which I adore) and that acetone-y pear note.

Wet: Harder leather bloom. I'll watch what happens.

Dry: I should like this better! The leather is lovely! But...the pear just doesn't work as well for me as the plain refined leather of Dead Man's Hand or the leather/rose of Whip. I fear I'll always be comparing this one to those and finding it wanting, sigh!

Overall: A good scent. Not quite as ecstatic to me.

This has got to be the sweetest leather blend that I have tried, ever! It is surprisingly feminine and refined (although men can easily wear this one too). I am not getting all leather like other folks, I am definitely getting quite a bit of pear, which is a relief 'cause all leather can tend to give me a headache. This smells of a leather jacket sweetened with a faded perfume once. Ahhhh. I am a big fan of this blend, that is for sure.

So, I think I need more than one bottle of this, in short. Fantastic!!

Bpal makes the best leather scents.  The leather base in this is so sweet and soft. Worn in, warm, soft leather. Then there's a creamy vanilla and the sexiest musk *ever* resting on the leather base. It smells like a strong, outdoorsy, protective man... comforting and sensual at the same time.

I thought that I would hate this when I sniffed all of the new scents in their bottles, but this might need a top ten spot on my favorite LEs list. :P It really reminds me of my boy and the way that he smells naturally (manly yet still so warm), so that's probably why it makes me feel like swooning.

Edited by Little Bird

i got this as part of the Monster decant circle and omg, one imp isn't going to be nearly enough. i love scents that are memories put into little bottles, and that's exactly what this is -- in a way that would probably only make sense to me.

impsniff: that smell you get in the summer when you drink from a waterhose that's been sitting out in the sun all day.

skinsniff, wet: my friend Bill's old apartment (before he went and got married and moved back to California), and that's the only description i can think of.

skinsniff, wet: ohmygod, i neeeeed more of this. lots more. NEED. i don't get the Dead Man's Hand leather out of this. i don't get leather at all. i get water. (not soapy aquatics, i mean real water. the smell that surrounds a fresh, cold spring) with faint waterhose (or the vinyl of a waterbed mattress) notes...

i have no idea what my skin is doing to what is supposed to be in this, but it makes me feel safe and loved and brings back some really good memories.

Mmmm... I smell soft leather, cedar, and juicy pear. It's masculine, but the pear adds a certain sweetness that makes it wearable for me too. Very unusual, and very well done! I'll keep my decant and test it further to decide about a possible bottle.

I thought this would be a little more vanilla-y than it wound up being; on me, it very quickly turned into pure, soft, cared-for leather (specifically it reminded me of saddle leather, defintely a "brown" leather), and then just - lingered. Beautifully.

Sadly, I don't think I can manage to take myself seriously while smelling like a saddle all day, so I'm going to have to swap this away - but it can certainly be a unisex scent, if you like to smell like leather, and the pear & vanilla just act to give a slight sweetness to the scent.

(As a sidenote, I tried it on my dad - and on him, it went all wonky and medicinal! He said "it smells like a doctor's office," and I sniffed him, and he was right! While at the same time I was smelling of warm, soft leather... Go figure.)

Whoa - a little slow to swap this off, then tried an "oh what the heck" layer underneath a healthy dose of Severin, and YOW that's good! Dunno if it's enough to inspire me to keep it, but it's definitely getting reconsidered!

Edited by Vihanei

Soft, sweet tobacco with just a hint of smooth, supple leather. So gorgeous, and on my husband, so drop-dead KMD&FM sexy. The vanilla and pear work perfectly to sweeten the scent, but not so much that it's girly. He likes it, too, especially when he gets a whiff of the cedar. I could never smell it on him, but he says every now and then he'd smell it. Quincey Morris is the absolute perfect scent to help me get him to wear smell-good stuff!

Wow is this a strange scent on me. The leather note almost goes to chlorine. No sweetness. Nothing but the leather-that-isn't. My skin is clearly funkifying the leather note, but I'm not a huge fan of leather notes anyway.

Quincey Morris

In the imp: leather, but totally, totally different to the usual BPAL black leather like De Sade or Loviatar etc. This is definitely saddle leather or rawhide.

Wet on skin: the 'cowboy leather' sweetens with a juicy hint of pear, and vanilla, and woody cedar.

Dry on skin: what a unique scent! It smells of rawhide leather and suede, with dry, dusty cedar, sweet vanilla, a hint of tobacco and musk, and pear. I'm surprised at how nicely the pear note mixes with the other notes-it adds a juicy sweetness which contrasts but doesn't clash with the dusty leather scent. the vanilla note isn't like the one in Tombstone-it's a lot more gentle, mingling nicely with all the notes.

After a while: whoa, it's like I've walked into a leather shop. This is now all LEATHER to me-and the most genuine and scarily authentic leather ever. It's so different to De Sade's black leather jackets and shoes, this is brown leather, the leather used to make bags, heavy duty coats, and of course saddles. It smells so leathery that I don't think I can bear it. Gone are all the other notes. It's still a little sweet but it's leather, leather and more leather now. This may be more of a guy scent.

and then something weird happens. After about 4-5 hours, the smell becomes like leather and chlorine! Just like what LGK's review said, it smells like chlorine on me now, like I've been in a swimming pool with a leather swimsuit!

Verdict: I haven't tried Dead Man's Hand but I think this is the quintessential cowboy scent-at first it's much nicer and more complex than Tombstone which was vanilla bean SN on me. This scent is all about the rawhide. The pear note is a nice touch and the dusty cedar and tobacco with the soft vanilla backs up the leather nicely. The leather note is like no other in BPAL that I've tried. Whereas the usual BPAL leather is like either new shoes or sofas, this is like suede, like saddles, it's a very intense leather scent, makes me think I've walked into a leather shop. In fact, I find this leather a little too much for me-I like my leather a bit more discreet and smooth. Especially when this leather takes over the whole scent at drydown, it's nothing but unbelievably genuine-smelling leather after an hour or so. I'll keep the decant for the 'novelty factor' because I do like the smell of suede leather and Beth's got it spot-on here, but not as perfume. Maybe it'll be better as a room scent.

Emoticon rating: this board doesn't have a cowboy emoticon, so it'll be this :P

Is it a keeper? Yes, just the decant -it's a little too intensely leathery for me.

If you like this, try: Coyote, Tombstone, Bow and Crown of Conquest

Edited by yeahbutnobut