Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jj_j

Stargazer Lily

Here's exactly what I think of when I look for a lily note - sweetly crisp, with just a hint of white floral lushness; perfect, and without teetering on the edge of being overblown and sickly (bouquets of lilies seem to go from perfect to wilting so very fast).

Very, very nice, and the elegant, pearl-wearing, grown-up sister of Calla Lily.

Edited by Shollin

I like this one very much.

It's a well rounded floral without it hitting you over the head with cloying sweetness. It's got slightly juicy undertones of peach and pear though they just whisper about the possibility of being there without actually revealing themself to you.

Yay!

Hmm, a nice floral fragrance. It almost reminds me of BPAL's apple blossom with a little less greenery and earthiness. Stargazer has more of a traditional floral overtone, sweet but not unbearably so. Despite this one's pleasantness, however, it doesn't really smell like the stargazers I had at my wedding. They had more of a spicier, almost carnation-like scent, which was what I was hoping this one would be like.

this smells exactly like the stargazer lillies in a friends yard, full of pollen and wafting all the way down the road.

Bottle (Imp): A fresh aquatic flower.

Just On: Yeah, a fresh aquatic flower.

An hour or two later: Lovely watery flower, but a hint of soap is there.

Around 6 hours: A little bit more soap, but not bad, and a beautiful aquatic flower.

12 hours: It's faded away now.

Overall: I like it, although probably not enough to search out a bottle or anything.

After reading other reviews: Hmm, I guess I didn't get a lot of juice or sweet from it, though it was fresh and watery.

115342293.jpg

BPAL blends which include Stargazer Lily single note as one of it's ingredients:

Bearded Lady, Grandmother of Ghosts, Peitho, Juliet, Ophelia.

In the bottle

This is a very pale gold colored blend.

The most beautiful lily smell but more powdery than it's cousin the calla lily.

On

Soft powdery white floral smell. Like a baby powder kind of white lily smell with some lilac-like scent too.

30 minutes

It's a beautiful lily floral. It is very light when dry though so one would have to slather this I would think. Ithas almost disappeared on my wrist

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Floral

Summary

This is perfect to me in every way.

Purchase again?

Yes I would purchase a 10ml if I could.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

Well, since I am about to part with all of my much sought after and hard won Single Notes from BPAL, I thought that before they go, I would do some reviews.

Imp: Decanted, won in Ebay auction.

At first sniff, I wasn't sure if I liked this or not. It had almost a bitter smell to it, but after a second sniff, I realize it smells exactly what a Stargazer Lily (which I used to grow in my garden, back home) should smell like! It does have a beautiful floral scent, but there is a bite to it, like the pollen that goes up your nose and gets stuck on your counter tops when this flower is brought inside. This is a lily that is not a wallflower! :-)

at first: fresh, pure lily.

on: an almost-sweet, musty lily.

1 hour later: sweet and musty. lovely.

2 hours later: sweet and musty.

overall: i love lily and this is really night. i like that it has a sweetness to it and is a bit musty.

First sniff: This is the note I most often recognise as lily. It’s also, I suspect, the lily note that most often goes soapy on me.

Wearing: Well, there was a moment of strong soapiness, but it faded very quickly into a gorgeous rich floral sweetness. And yet there’s something in most lily blends that goes straight to soap on me. Maybe someday I’ll track it down.

Stargazer Lily was surprisingly strong on me! One teeny swipe of the imp wand and I was enveloped in lush, ever-so-slightly-fruity floral. It's a bright, clear sort of lily scent, and didn't go soapy on me at all (unlike calla lily). Very nice!

Stargazer Lily

In the imp: beautiful lily!!! This smells really gorgeous. It reminds me of Black Lily, only lighter. It doesn’t have the ‘spicy’ scent of stargazers, but has a hint of greenness.

Wet on skin: the green note sharpens a tad on my skin, and now I get the impression of white lilies and green leaves.

Dry: not bad! It’s not as ‘wow’ as it was in the vial as now it’s a little bit sharper and much much greener, but it’s still a lovely scent. However, it doesn’t really smell like a stargazer lily-to me, this actually smells like honeysuckle at some points. And there’s a lot of green to the scent-like stepping into a florist’s full of lilies and leaves. It does seem to become less sharp after I put it on the skin though, the flower is coming out.

After a while: it’s not stargazer on me now-it’s lily of the valley mixed with honeysuckle! That’s no bad thing, but I was hoping for stargazer lily…the scent is very green and crisp, almost tangy now, and also a lot drier.

Verdict: whilst this is a lovely scent, this isn’t stargazer lily to me. Stargazers have a complex, heady, rich, sweet, and spicy scent. But this is more like a mix of white lilies, lily of the valley, and honeysuckle…a fresh floral with a lot of green to it, touched with dew. It’s not a bad thing-I’ve heard that the true scent of stargazer lily is very difficult to replicate as a perfume, which is a shame…I’ll still have to keep searching for my holy grail of stargazer lily scent. But this is a nice SN, though it’s one of those notes I prefer as part of a blend, rather than on its own. It does smell gobsmackingly beautiful in the imp, though…

Emoticon rating: :P

In Bottle: Sweet lily

On Skin: This is gorgeous. I love the smell of lilies, they’re one of my favorite flowers. While I’m not a big fan of florals, I seem to like most scents with lily. This lily is deep, sticky sweet, very clean and white. It smells quite feminine and elegant. After about 10 minutes the scent turns a little, there is a slight tart sourness. I think it brings a bit of green to the scent. This does smell very realistic, like there’s a big vase of lilies in the room. I do prefer it in blends though, it’s not a scent I’d wear often on it’s own. It does remind me just slightly of Black Lily, but I love the sweet creaminess of Black Lily that this one doesn’t have. Fairly strong throw and average wear length.

Calla Lily was sharply perfumey and soapy on me, and it gave me an awful headache. Thankfully, Stargazer Lily isn't that bad on me.

First on, this has a slight sharpness to it, but it's a sort of green, fresh sharpness. It smells like wet flower stems. Then it quickly dries down to a soft floral on me, slightly powdery and with a sort of sticky sweetness that makes me think of pollen.

After about a half hour, this has dried down to a faint, sweet floral-powder on my skin. Very pretty.

Stargazer Lily - I think Stargazer Lilies are gorgeous flowers, but I hate the way they smell. Whenever we have a bouquet of flowers that contain Stargazers at the front desk at work, I have to avoid the reception desk all week because the scent is one that I find highly offensive. Stargazer Lily single note, however, doesn’t remind me at all of the real plant – it’s way too pretty to smell like the real thing! I first discovered how much I enjoy BPAL Stargazer Lily with the Maelstrom blend, Berenice. I couldn’t get over how much I liked that blend consider my dislike of the scent of the actual flower. Now that I’ve tried the single note, I completely understand. The single note is sweet and floral and so very pretty. It’s soft and highly feminine. It reminds me a lot of Calla Lily, but more “pink,” yet more sophisticated. It’s hard to describe, so I’ll just simply say that this is a single note I could easily wear by itself for a personal fragrance. But since I only have one imp’s worth, I’ll just stick with my beloved bottle of Berenice when I want that strong, beautiful Stargazer Lily scent. The throw is light, although I catch occasional wafts of it, and the staying power seems to be below average on me.

Origin: Tester bought on eBay

initial Thoughts: Ever since I fell head over heels in love with Bearded Lady and found I like Juliet and Ophelia, I have tried to get my hands on a bit of the stargazer lily single note to see what it is like alone. It was the reason I bought blends like L'Inverno and Kindly Moon. So now I finally get to see what it's like.

In the Vial: A beautiful creamy white floral.

Wet: I get a blast of the lovely floral, with a hint of alluring sweetness underneath, and then it seems to disappear almost immediately.

Drydown: All right, the scent comes back and it's absolutely beautiful. All the lush sweet floral with just a touch of muskiness.

Verdict: If I ever get the chance to afford a decent amount of this, I will buy it and wear it alone. And I will definitely be trying any blend that features this note. :P

Edited by puck_nc

Stargazer Lily is exactly what you would hope a lily blend to be - it's soft, fresh, and smells ever so gently of lilies and green sap. It's got such a clean edge, some may consider it soapy. However, to me, this smells like what I think lilies smell like.

Stargazer Lilies were my sister-in-law's favorite flower. This smells so much like the flower, and reminds me so much of her. It's a soft, gentle blend full of memories.