Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

LUCY WESTENRA

When Lucy, I call the thing that was before us Lucy because it bore her shape, saw us she drew back with an angry snarl, such as a cat gives when taken unawares, then her eyes ranged over us. Lucy's eyes in form and color, but Lucy's eyes unclean and full of hell fire, instead of the pure, gentle orbs we knew. At that moment the remnant of my love passed into hate and loathing. Had she then to be killed, I could have done it with savage delight. As she looked, her eyes blazed with unholy light, and the face became wreathed with a voluptuous smile. Oh, God, how it made me shudder to see it! With a careless motion, she flung to the ground, callous as a devil, the child that up to now she had clutched strenuously to her breast, growling over it as a dog growls over a bone. The child gave a sharp cry, and lay there moaning. There was a cold-bloodedness in the act which wrung a groan from Arthur. When she advanced to him with outstretched arms and a wanton smile he fell back and hid his face in his hands.

She still advanced, however, and with a languorous, voluptuous grace, said, "Come to me, Arthur. Leave these others and come to me. My arms are hungry for you. Come, and we can rest together. Come, my husband, come!"

A wanton beauty, corrupt, hypnotic, seductive, and feral: magnolia, iris, Moroccan rose, frankincense, crushed jasmine blossom, blood orange, tobacco flower and white musk.

So this is my fourth scent review today...yes I just got my order and I figured I could try on four...both hands and upper arms. All have been gorgeous so far and L.W. is no exception.

Wet this was a sharp floral. My skin always amplifies orange and the blood orange in this holds true to form. It gives the floral a really nice citrus bite. As it dries down the orange softened up a bit and the frankincense made itself known which gave this a lovely exotic feel. As far as the flowers go, it's a very nice blend and I am struggling to pick the notes apart. I get a little jasmine and a touch of rose.

This scent stays pretty close to my skin but it is one I'd love to have somebody discover close to my skin ;) . This is a very sexy scent.

BPALLucyWestenra.jpg

In the bottle

I smell a fresh floral

On

Fruity Ohhh...it's my favoe...Blood Orange. I smells the Jasmine just a bit, and the Magnolia and Rose just a bit in the background...and the white musk.

Gorgeous. I don't smell the tobacco nor the frankincense yet.

30 minutes

It still smells GORGEOUS

Throw:

A wee bit only

Scent category:

Fruity/Floral

Summary

It's harder to describe this one. It's a fresh floral with a bit of orange and a wee bit of white musk. It works together believe me. I can't even compare it to other bpal scents because it's so different and lovely.

Purchase again?

Yes!

1-5 rating (5 being best)

This is gorgeous and different I'm tempted to give this a 5 but I'm going to wait and give this a 4.5

This scent is stunning. Off the bat I smell Oranges. Ripe, juicy oranges. Lightly dusted with sugar.

Once applied I smell a slight floral, but orange is what stays in the forefront. "blood orange" is perfect.

After a bit it morphs into a lovely, somewhat sharp, blend. It's bright and yet "dark" at the same time. How did she manage to capture that?

This is one of my favorites so far. Lucy is beautiful

This is primarly Blood Orange from start to finish. There is also a note that comes across to me very much like BPAL's Carnation (kind of spicey foral). This makes no sense considering the listed notes.

The Next Day- Blood Orange comes roaring out and then the florals... which are considerably compressed due to the citrus note.

Jasmine ususally takes center stage but the notes here are very well blended.

And then there's that 'carnation' note from last night. No idea what it is. At least I know I wasn't tripping last night cause it's here again.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

In the bottle: Orangey floral. A bit like Moscow.

Wet: Oh. Oh. Oh, my God. That is just gorgeous. Sweet, creamy, slightly spicy floral.

Drydown: Oh dear, I'm going to have to get more of this. God, this is beautiful. I don't normally like orange (or spice), but this is just beautiful. I was very wary of the tobacco flower, too, but. Bright and sweet and lovely.

While wearing: This gets sweeter and creamier and more and more gorgeous as it dries and settles into my skin. I love Lucy's Kiss as well, but I think this captures Lucy's character better. It somehow encompasses both sides of Lucy's character - the sweet, oversensitive, effervescent girl - and the Bloofer Lady. I love this. I need more of it!!

Lucy Westenra

In the imp: a sweet orange-white floral-rose with a hint of smoke. Smells like Three Brides, but less resinous/sweet.

Wet on skin: whoa, this is gorgeous. Rich sweet flowers with white musk and sugared orange!

Dry on skin: this is beautiful! A full bodied and feminine scent, this is a mix of heady but gorgeous floral notes (magnolia, rose, jasmine, powdery iris as well) with a fabulous and very true blood orange-it smells like blood orange juice. The white musk lifts the scent fantastically and binds everything together, and I can just about make out the frankincense. There's also a sweetness to it all.

After a while: eventually the paler florals and white musk tone down a little, and something deeper comes through. I now smell more of the frankincense, the rose, and a smokiness which may be tobacco flower. There's still that fantastic blood orange (one of the few citrus notes that sticks around for a long time), and the sweet white musk and other flowers, but now there's an even balance of the darker and lighter notes. This is so good.

There's something about this scent as well which is almost incense like, with an almost opium-like feel, or even something nag-champa-ish, but not quite. Maybe it's frankincense-wow, I love this note anyway but it's doing amazing things in here. There's also the red rose and musk and iris which have all teamed up to form a sumptuous and velvety base to the scent. And the blood orange is still there.

After about 4 hours…wow, the blood orange is still sticking around! And the frankincense has got stronger. The white musk and paler florals still stick around as well, but the 'velvet' feel of this scent, made red by the rose, is even more apparent. I get just a tinge of jasmine, a very good jasmine note which isn't turning harshly green at all. There are also times when I smell something almost like Alice...this is Alice's evil sister, it seems.

Verdict: this is competing with Three Brides and the Haunted Palace as the best 'opulent, feminine, rose-based complex citrus floral and resinous' scent. In fact, this may become my favourite rose scent. Though this does fall in the same category as Three Brides etc, it is completely unique-I love these very different, 'like no other' fragrances that Beth is coming up with now. Lucy is a stunning heady floral blend with a sharp, juicy bite of blood orange, the almost powdered smoothness of white musk and the slight smoke of tobacco (flower) and frankincense. This scent brings to mind crushed red velvet, deep and luxurious, with incense, oranges and flowers over it. The blood orange stays for an insane amount of time for a citrus note (no bad thing, blood orange is the best orange note of all) and the frankincense just adds the most fantastic, almost hypnotic incense scent. This just gets better and smoother with wear and I have a feeling this is going to age very well. Beautiful, beautiful stuff.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? I'm keeping the bottle, and want more.

If you like this, try: Three Brides, Haunted Palace, Love in the Asylum, Rose Cross, All Saints, Moscow, Lucy's Kiss

Lucy Westenra - Initially, this is the lovely candy-sweet scent of blood orange blended with florals, but oddly enough, considering that the florals in the ingredient list usually amp up on me, in this blend, they are soft and wispy (and I don't smell the jasmine at all! Will wonders never cease?!) After about 30 minutes on my skin, the frankincense starts to warm up and flow up and through all the other notes, mingling in and around them, giving them depth and texture. This is such a pretty scent. Sadly, as with all the other Order of the Dragon blends I've tried so far, it fades on me very quickly. It's never very strong and it never has much throw, but after drydown, it sticks incredibly close to my skin, and 90 minutes later, I have to concentrate really hard to catch faint traces of the scent on my skin. I'll wear it on occasion because it's so pretty, but I wish it were stronger on me. (Perhaps I'll try it in a scent locket!)

At first, this was citrusy on me, almost pure lemon. It was sharp and tangy, with a hint of wispy, powdery flowers in the far background. Uh-oh, I am not a citrus girl at all.

But wait a minute. Or actually a few minutes. This starts to evolve and grow. It's getting darker and sadder. Could it be the frankincense, rose and musk coming to the foreground? It must be, because I'm falling in love with this.

To me, this morphs and changes just like the character it's inspired by. Perfection! I am going to be wearing this a lot.

I smell the orange most strongly initally, but it doesn't last long. Unfortunately, nothing comes forward to take its place. I don't know what's up with the Order of the Dragon scents, but all of them seem to fade really fast. I like what I can still smell of Lucy enough that I'll test it again.

Oh wow, this is so beautiful. Very orangey with a tang of frankincense and light floral background. Thankfully my skin isn't doing the "jasmine soap" thing at all- maybe it's because it's "crushed jasmine blossom" who knows? This is incredibly elegant, sexy and intoxicating, like you are drowning in sexiness. ( and hey, who doesn't want to drown in sexiness?? :D ) In a way, this has a similar feel to The Haunted Palace, another one of my favorite florals, but is a completely different scent. So if you liked that one, you absolutely need a bottle of this.

:P

I must be the only person that Lucy just didn't agree with. On me, she is mostly rose, although she smells absolutely divine in the bottle. Citrusy, creamy, floral, and very feminine. But alas, my skin chemistry hates the roses. I'll have to swap away my decant.

impsniff: smells like Pond's Cold Cream ("Ponds IS Cold Cream")

skinsniff, wet: still a little bit of cold cream, but with notes that remind me of a mix of Thunderbird and House of Mirrors (which i love, both of 'em) but with this unsettling feeling that jasmine's gonna attack at any second.

skinsniff, dry: smells like my mom, after she's finished putting on all the cold cream and lotion and goo on after a shower, but before she puts on the Tuvara. i can't get past the lotion and cold cream smell, and the fresh air/glass notes that were so clear when wet are long long gone.

In the bottle... smells rather sweet, like blood orange and honeyed flowers, with a hint of something powdery that reminds me of the way my mother's makeup drawer always smelled. A very red and feminine fragrance.

On me... this is sharply perfumey (like the musky 80s perfume my mother always wore) with a mishmash of notes that are sweet and powdery. Still making me think of my mother's makeup drawer, but so sharp and perfumey that it's like a bottle of cheap musk got dumped out in that same drawer.

I love rose, frankincense, blood orange, and white musk on most occasions... but Lucy Westenra ends up smelling like a cheap, overwhelming musk on me. MUSK and powder. Bleh. :P

Soft florals with something that doesn't agree with me. Usually I get this from neroli, but I don't see any neroli in the description. It is very soft. I think I'm getting mostly orange and tobacco, along with whatever this note is that's not agreeing with me.

this smells so familiar, i feel like i've worn a scent like this before in the past. it's a beautiful musky floral, and a bit perfumy, but in a good way. i think my skin displays the magnolia, blood orange, tobacco flower and white musk up front. somethign about it reminds me of stardust, it has a similar feel to me, but is a little warmer than that scent.

definitely getting a big bottle of this :P

In the bottle: first rose, then orange… and tons of other things I don't identify.

On my skin: mostly blood orange with some light florals in the background. Wow, I think I like this.

After a couple of hours: it fades quite quickly and only leaves me with some white musk. It doesn't matter, I'll reapply :P

And... no jasmine, at all :D

Verdict: my favourite Order of the Dragon so far!

Okay wow, the Order of the Dragon floral blends are amazing me! I was scared of Lucy, it looked packed full of flowers along with my dreaded jasmine. But I don't smell any jasmine at all (how did that happen??), this is mostly a creamy orange over a hint of florals (not really rose, it must be the iris and magnolia) with frankincense backing it up. Another wonderful blend for a person who calls herself anti-floral :P . Argh, my list of bottles to buy before the deadline is getting too big!

I tried Lucy at the Atlanta M&S--she was sharply astringent iris on me, with a touch of jasmine on the drydown. She faded fast, with no sign of the rose. Lucy's Kiss, from the GC, is a version of the character that I can wear a bit better. :P

In the vial: Orange blossom is pretty much all I get - lovely and light.

Wet: Yep, orange blossom again! It's the main note for at least the first hour of wear, with some of the other florals playing underneath it. This is definitely Lucy as she lived - vibrant and truly, truly alive.

Drydown: This is a morpher. The orange and florals go away completely, leaving behind the white musk and a tiny bit of the frankincense. It's quite a light skin scent on me. This is the scent of the vampire Lucy - the Bloofer Lady. Dry and alone, and lost to her world.

Mmm... blood orange and moroccan rose. Citrussy sweet rose-laden goodness. I'm not getting much of the other notes, but that's okay... blood orange juicyness and ripe rose is just fine by me! Not bad at all!! I'm so happy the frankincese isn't ruining this for me like it so normally does too. Definitely must have a bottle. :P

In the bottle this is sharp and fruity, the blood orange really dominates. On the skin it gets even sharper still; the rose note and the frankincense combine to form the top note. The orange note is still very strong, and it forms sort of a woodsy/citrusey undertone; but it's all very nicely blended. This is very different, and it seems to have a lot of throw. It's a unique one, I think I'll hold onto my bottle and see where it leads me. :P

This is a very pretty scent, and it is one of the only jasmine BPALs that I have ever been able to wear as the jasmine doesn't make an appearence. Lucy is extremely orange-blossomy and somewhat floral (but not to much), smooth and creamy. I can't recognise the magnolia, but if it's there, it doesn't smell generically floral on me which is great.

There is a little bit of Jezebel about this scent, but is not as cloyingly sweet. I can smell a rounded musk on drydown and frankincense too as a slightly sour woody undertone after I have worn this scent for a few hours.

All in all this is quite lovely. I really didn't expect to be able to wear Lucy, but I can which is fantastic :P I don't think I need a bottle, but I will hoard my imp!

Bottle: Sweet flowers waft over a dark, almost peppery current.

On: Fruity vanilla (though there's no vanilla in this) - complex and definitely "hypnotic" and "seductive". I almost want to say there is something Fierce about the scent.

Throw and staying power are moderate.

While it will never be the first bottle I reach for

{Ah! Haven't you learned to Never Say Never when it comes to BPAL? Silly girl!}

I will certainly wear it on occasion.

The other day, I wore it shopping and bought all kinds of sexy stuff.

I had quite a jolt when I first sniffed Lucy Westerna wet--- it smells like orange rum raisins! On, the blood orange flares up and then quickly backs down. For a few moments it smells like these fluoride treatments my dentist used to give me as kid, but then it becomes a creamy floral. It’s a really interesting combo---the frankincense with the jasmine and tobacco flower makes for an exotic and unusual mix. The jasmine is pretty subdued here---I might not even know it was in here if not for the listing.

The longer I wear it, the more the frankincense and tobacco flower come out, along with the white musk. I like it better with the bottom notes pulling more weight, as it dims the florals and makes for a surprisingly sexy blend. This stage is very nice, and worth waiting for.

Bottle: blood orange and unremarkable floralness

Wet: the floral notes are separating a bit, but still I can't quite pick out which is on top..maybe the tobacco flower, I'm unfamiliar with it.

Dry: something here doesn't care for me at all, and it's more than just the jasmine..perhaps the magnolia. no sign of the frankincense, and the rose appeared only briefly, but is now gone.

Later: this remains a seriously unhappy floral on my skin - it's not getting oddly sweet, it's getting sour. damn damn damn.