Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In the moonlight opposite me were three young women, ladies by their dress and manner. I thought at the time that I must be dreaming when I saw them, they threw no shadow on the floor.

They came close to me, and looked at me for some time, and then whispered together. Two were dark, and had high aquiline noses, like the Count, and great dark, piercing eyes, that seemed to be almost red when contrasted with the pale yellow moon. The other was fair, as fair as can be, with great masses of golden hair and eyes like pale sapphires. I seemed somehow to know her face, and to know it in connection with some dreamy fear, but I could not recollect at the moment how or where. All three had brilliant white teeth that shone like pearls against the ruby of their voluptuous lips. There was something about them that made me uneasy, some longing and at the same time some deadly fear. I felt in my heart a wicked, burning desire that they would kiss me with those red lips. It is not good to note this down, lest some day it should meet Mina's eyes and cause her pain, but it is the truth. They whispered together, and then they all three laughed, such a silvery, musical laugh, but as hard as though the sound never could have come through the softness of human lips. It was like the intolerable, tingling sweetness of waterglasses when played on by a cunning hand.

Unquenchable desire, seething lust, malevolent sexuality, and voracious hunger lurking beneath a shimmering veil of unearthly beauty: gleaming skin musk, honey and white amber, plum blossom, osmanthus, sandalwood, calla lily, and a light, sensual blend of Eastern spices.

I lay quiet, looking out from under my eyelashes in an agony of delightful anticipation. The fair girl advanced and bent over me till I could feel the movement of her breath upon me. Sweet it was in one sense, honey-sweet, and sent the same tingling through the nerves as her voice, but with a bitter underlying the sweet, a bitter offensiveness, as one smells in blood.

I was afraid to raise my eyelids, but looked out and saw perfectly under the lashes. The girl went on her knees, and bent over me, simply gloating. There was a deliberate voluptuousness which was both thrilling and repulsive, and as she arched her neck she actually licked her lips like an animal, till I could see in the moonlight the moisture shining on the scarlet lips and on the red tongue as it lapped the white sharp teeth. Lower and lower went her head as the lips went below the range of my mouth and chin and seemed to fasten on my throat. Then she paused, and I could hear the churning sound of her tongue as it licked her teeth and lips, and I could feel the hot breath on my neck. Then the skin of my throat began to tingle as one's flesh does when the hand that is to tickle it approaches nearer, nearer. I could feel the soft, shivering touch of the lips on the super sensitive skin of my throat, and the hard dents of two sharp teeth, just touching and pausing there. I closed my eyes in languorous ecstasy and waited, waited with beating heart.

For such a long description I wish I had a more in depth review for this! :lol: Right out of the bottle I smell the plum blossom, lily and honey. Once on the skin I get a stronger whiff of the honey and amber but the florals are still dominate. I'm not getting any of the sandalwood or spices, to my nose this is mostly honey/lily/plum.

Conclusion- The Brides of Dracula are honey dipped lilys covered in plum flowers with amber resin sprinkles.

LOL, I was just about to post this as a new topic when I noticed that Requieminblack beat me to it! We must have both been drenching ourselves in our new scents tonight. It's so interesting how people can have such a different review of a scent!

So on to my review...

For me this is very floral both in the bottle and on my skin. It's another scent that I have to use the word lovely to describe. I don't get any of the honey or amber at this point but I do get the skin musk, lillies, and just a hint of spice.

I REALLY like this. It's a grown-up scent that would be great for a fancy dressed up night or a date.

ETA: March 5th 2009, this has aged beautifully. It is a soft musky floral with just a hint of honey now and a deep undertone of spicy goodness. It's one of my go-to date scents and always gets me compliments and neck huffing.

Edited by Kimocean

Light pretty florals...Teggy is not a light pretty florals kind of gal. Lovely scent of white, elegant flowers that fortunately didn't have that sickly tangy note that makes me sick to my stomach. If I liked florals, would love this, but I don't so I don't. Though I do wonder how it would smell if layered with Snake Oil.

But just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for you. I do reccomend this as a floral scent, but it's not for those of us on the foody side of the Force.

on this is all light white florals. In the bottle I get more of sandalwood vibe. Sadly on there are none of the honey or spice notes I was hoping for. It is a very light scent on me, it stays very close to the skin. (There is an almost metallic undertone but I think it may just be my weird chemistry this week as I got "metalic" from Harvest Moon '05 last night)

BPALBridesofDracula.jpg

In the bottle

I smell musk, honey, and plum blossom only.

On

Lightly sweet musk, honey, white amber, cally lily and plum blossom.

The eastern spices and sandalwood are nowhere to be found yet which is a pity because I love sandalwood very much. That said, this is a pretty blend.

30 minutes

Hasn't changed.

Throw:

no

Scent category:

Resinous/Floral/Incensey

Summary

Primarily plum blossom, calla lily, honey and musk on my skin. It's is more of a soft and feminine floral blend that is light and slightly sweet.

Purchase again?

Yes

1-5 rating (5 being best)

A lightly spiced, powdery amber floral. My skin usually amps honey to the extreme but there is very little honey present in this for me. I'm not sure what's giving me the powdery note but it makes me want to sneeze a little when I put it on. Fades down to a very light, womanly scent.

So beautiful. So, so beautiful.

I've been hoarding my bottle of Dreamland, but I think I can relax now, because this is very reminiscent of that blend, no doubt from the osmanthus and skin musk. The Brides are maybe a bit heavier with the white florals, though, because I get a strong lily note from this one. Not catching the amber just yet, but there's a lovely touch of sweet honey. Oh, swoon.

It's very feminine and very sexy. Skin musk rocks.

thebridesofdrecula.jpg

Thank goodness someone made the comparison between Dreamland and The Brides, I was thinking I was nuts. Both of them are gorgeous florals for people who are ambivilent about florals. I think the Brides of Dracula is a bit softer and very subtle, it smells so different on my skin than it does in the bottle, even better. If you have any inclination to try one of the Order of the Dragon blends, choose The Brides of Dracula, you won't be sorry.

In Bottle: Bright florals and musk

On Skin: The florals jump out right away and are slightly soapy. Hmmm… lily doesn’t usually turn that way on me nor does plum blossom so it must be the osmanthus. This scent is quite sharp, not what I was expecting. After about 15 minutes of drydown, the scent really starts to fade and I can smell a few of the deeper notes… the skin musk clean and soft to the skin and the honey very VERY lightly coating the florals. The amber is subtle and makes the scent a little powdery combined with the sandalwood. The most shocking thing is the Eastern spices. Usually they amp on me and here I can barely notice them. This scent isn’t what I expected at all, and I’m a bit sad it is so faint and fades within 20 minutes. My skin just soaks it right up. It is a very feminine scent, beautiful and golden. But if you are looking for a honey scnet like I was, this isn’t the traditional BPAL honey at all. The honey is a very distant highlight note. This blend is floral and very close to the skin. Super light throw and very short wearlength.

I ordered Brides with much, much trepidation. Florals are not my friend, even less so than I thought when I first got hooked on BPAL. Even the nice ones, I just do NOT wear. And osmanthus was a prominent note on one of the worst disappointments ever- Night's Pavilion. But I had to try Brides! The other notes sounded good. Plus the boy wanted the Count, so I just had to try Brides.

On my skin, honey is quite noticeable. Musk, ditto. Unfortunately I'm getting some of the sharp/weirdness osmanthus too, and I still don't love it. The musk is nice though, and is much more noticeable. I'll be thinking on it, and possibly aging it some. And hoping the osmanthus backs off. Basically it's a nice, slightly darker blend with a note I don't love, and several I do. Luckily the musk and honey do overpower the floral by quite a bit, so it is possible it may grow on me. My skin is definitely amping the musk & honey- the longer it dries, the stronger they get. YMMV.

For now it's a 3.5 out of 5.

Like LGK stated above, florals, not good.

In the bottle I definitely get honey but mostly it reminds me of the same creamy floral/s I got from The Living Flame. Slightly sweet and spicy...

Applied to skin it immediately turns all perfumy floral and so very girly, not quite my thing. But I hang in there... It's very light at first and finally, after about 30 minutes, the notes that prompted me to get this start to make their presence known, honey, musk, amber and spices. All blended beautifully, leaving me with a slightly spicy, slightly sweet goodness. Not much throw but it has decent staying power. Once it dries it's quite lovely. I expected this to be a bit on the darker side due to the name, but it'll do :D It's rather on the light side so I just might pick up another bottle, maybe...I want to know it's there without having to plaster my nose to my wrist :P (although it does strengthen a bit upon complete drydown)

Argh. I was so sure I would love this. Skin musk, honey, plum blossom, spice, sandalwood are all notes I enjoy very much. However, something about it goes immediately powdery and soapy on me, and I'm not someone who usually has that issue. I think the lily may be what pushes it into that area. A couple of hours after drydown, I finally get some plum blossom. But the scent, on me, is generally a blast of dry, sweet-ish powder with a tang of too-clean soap. I've already made a swap and hope it is well-loved elsewhere.

In the bottle:

OSMANTHUS and honey! And the reason I know in all certainty that's what I'm smelling, is because this is how Kali smells on me at first - same exact smell!

On me:

As mentioned, this goes on like Kali on me - osmanthus and honey. Unusual scent I think, which is why I identified it right away. In only a minute though, it starts settling on my skin to become something warmer and sweeter. The sandalwood and spices seem to be combining with the honey to make something that smells reminiscent of chocolate (note: It doesn't actually smell LIKE chocolate, just reminiscent, in that warm, deep, sweet way).

It doesn't take long though before this scent becomes REALLY floral. And yet, it still makes me think of Kali. In comparing the two side by side, I find them to be very similar.

After wearing this one for quite some time, it's more honey and sandalwood and musk on me, which I enjoy quite a bit more than the floral stage. This is what I was thinking this would smell like.

Final note:

This is definitely a floral scent, and I wasn't really expecting that. The final stages of this scent is more what I was expecting, but the floral part might be too much for me. It does smell very similar to Kali on my skin. The upside is that this scent has a lot of throw to it, and is very strong.

I am unsure whether or not I will keep this one. I like the stage where it smells semi sweet and warm and woodsy, but the floral stage isn't for me I think. Even if it was, I already have Kali and the two smell so close that it's nearly the same scent on my skin up until the last stage. It IS a nice scent though, just not what I was expecting. So this is a maybe - if I was fonder of florals this would be a definite.

this was way more floral than i was expecting.

it was strong, musky calla in the beginning, and then it went kind of soapy floral that made my nose itch.

I was all set to swap this off to someone, and then i went into the bedroom and hugged my sleeping husband. he woke up with this beatific smile and told me that i smelled really good.

After a while, the itchy flowers went away, and it was a lovely, spicy plum blossom for the rest.

The boy likes it, so i'll keep it...and it really grew on me. I think that the other scents will be a little more prominent as it ages.

Oh, honey! I was afraid from the above reviews that this would not be the honey scent I was expecting. On me, though, it is! :P BPAL's honey is intially green and then creamy sweet on me. This is no exception. It is right at the front, mixed with the golden apricot of the osmanthus, and a slight waft of fresh white flowers. I smell a definate resemblance to Kali. Dried out it is a sweet 'skin scent', slightly powdery(like amber usually does), with a hint of faded flowers. The spices seem to just blend with the amber. It's hauntingly beautiful...golden.

This scent lasted all day but with light throw.

Edited by lookingglass

In the bottle: Wow. Way more floral than I'd expected.

Wet: Still floral, but this is beautiful. Normally I'm not a "typical" floral kind of girl. But this is just amazing. It's mildly sweet, I can totally pick out the lily and osmanthus in the beginning. As it dries down, it begins to acquire a slightly creamy quality, which may be the musk and honey coming into play.

Dry: This morphs hugely over time! The florals back down one by one, until I'm left with this creamy, musky, lightly spicy skin-scent. It smells like honeyed cardamom on me at the very end. For me, it lasts a good 8 hours, and has moderate throw at the beginning, drying down to a very light throw at the end. I am in LOVE.

I have to say that I was starting to worry about Brides based on the reviews above. I was pleasantly surprised though!

In the bottle and initially on it smells like musky honey and plummy bubblegummy florals. As it dries, the honey all but disappears and the florals do get a little more cloying. At this point I really smell the lily and osmanthus. It reminds me of a combination of Night's Pavilion and Budding Moon.

This is definitely more floral than I was expecting, but it is still creamy and soft with no powder in sight.

I wanted to add that I really wanted to love both budding moon and night's pavilion but couldn't in the end. I find Brides to be akin to each but totally lovable and wearable.

Edited by Rheliwen

First of I get honeyed lily and osmanthus. At this point it reminds me a little of Tiger Lily, and I am so happy this lily isn't going soapy on me. I also get the skin musk from Dreamland. As it dries down, the plum blossom and sandalwood comes through and it reminds me of Budding Moon and --- wait for it --- Underpants, which on me was very sandalwoody, although this scent is sweetened by honey rather than vanilla cream.

My beloved honey, where are you? My experience with this scent is about the same as what slave1 wrote.

Bottle: Feminine florals and light musk

Wet: Predominantly light florals that have a soapy vibe. I'm guessing this is the osmanthus as I don't think I've smelled it before.

Dry: Fades quickly! I get a very light and bright skin musk under the florals, and some very soft amber. Not really any spices, and I like 'eastern spices' :P . I'm also very sad that the honey doesn't come out for me, as I love BPAL's honey!

Overall- a very pretty and feminine floral scent. The florals are very light and not headache-inducing (like jasmine and her friends) but very much there. Not really my style as I was hoping for more spices, sandalwood, and honey, but I could see someone else falling in love with this. Short length of wear and throw.

Another gorgeous blend. I smell lovely flowers...I think it's the plum blossom. It smells so good it's almost seems edible. This one reminds me of the beautiful smells that came from living behind a florist as a child.

Doesn't turn soapy or powdery. After a bit it morphs into a lovely creamy flowery blend. Remains just plain beautiful. So far these have been amazing scents. One prettier than the other.

I suppose, as threads go, this would be my "OMG!" blend... one that shouldn't work on you, but does.

See, florals tend to give me a headache and/or go soapy on me. When this blend popped up, my eyes saw the florals in the description and in the notes listed, my brain comprehended that there were florals in this blend as well. But, my brain saw two other things: Spice and honey. Upon seeing spice and honey, by subconscious said "BUY IT!"

So when one came up on sales, I did. And I am glad I did. Brides of Dracula is a floral that I can wear and wear proudly. It's not an in-your-face floral, it's that soft silky floral that lingers when you lean closer to someone, that makes others ask what it is and lean closer to sniff it. Whereas Perversion and All Souls makes me feel all Catwoman dirty, Brides of Dracula gives me that bit of naughty confidence, that womanly, grown-up feeling... a touch of elegance and sophistication.

A second bottle worthy? Nah. I'll stick with my one bottle, please and thank you. But, this is a spot on hit. Brava Beth!

Even though I fear the amber, I ordered this because of the honey and the musk which sounded so good. Unfortunately, none of the honey or the musk ever shows up on me. Instead I got powder (ugh, the amber curse!) and extremely, super, uber Floral which stabbed my nose. I think my chemistry took the flowers and ran to the florist's shop in the middle of the flower field.

Didn't work for me, personally, but it smells beautiful in the bottle, and it's obviously something that works great on most BPALers.

Oooh, I wanted this little doll so bad and now she's mine! Thank you, Abejita! :P

In the bottle: Dry white wine, lily, and spices. Very intriguing...definately not something I remember smelling before...it already has life to it befor it touches my skin.

Wet on skin: Plum, plum, plum, and...musk? "Gleaming" is definately the right word for this scent. Lilies still prevalent.

Dry-down: All of the smells mentioned above have been softened and accompanied by the nicest, least obtrusive amber ever! Where is that honey, though? Oh, this is intoxicating!

After a few hours: This is not a blend that warms up on your skin. It remains cool and clear, yet very sexy and very rich. It is a complicated scent an one that clings to things. My purse and sleeves smell absolutely divine long after I take them off. I could just buy bottles and bottles of this.

Edited by ScrimHazard

It's slightly zangy in the bottle. Sorta hits me hard. "I'm not going to like this." I think to myself. I barely smell anything at all and yet what I do smell kind of has the bite of a lemon to it. You know when your nose retracts because it feels like a citrus scent even if it isn't a citrus scent. Hah.

Then I dab some on my wrist. And OMG!!! THIS IS ME! This is my signature scent! This is SO beautiful! It's honey-dipped lilies!! I am honey-dipped lilies, ya know. Lily is my favorite floral and the honey makes it almost drinkable! Jeeze. It's very femme. It's sophisticated ultra-femme. The word "beautiful" keeps coming to mind.

It makes me want to hoard bottles of it. If only I wasn't still looking for work, gah!

Dry down: It's been a couple of minutes and the lily is slowly disappearing and the honey is brightening. It's becoming more delicious and foody than light-floral ultra femme sophisticate it was when wet. It's "yummy" now. Mm, I wanna lick my wrist. I have NEVER had such instant sparks between my skin chemistry and a single scent. This is really incredible for me.

I haven't had a chance to test the throw on it yet. Or know what other people think it smells like on me but so far it reminds me of Brittany Spears "Curious" perfume in a GOOD way... except minus the 'blonde'-ish note.

This is like a bundle of light, airy-fairy, honey dipped lily petals. If I could name it? I'd name it LilyHoney Golightly. It has the barely palpable softness of Moon Rose. It's continuing to soften but maybe I've just sucked all the scent up out of my wrist into my nose because I couldn't stop smelling myself all this time.

OMG, I can't say this strongly enough- Brides of Dracula is a WINNER! Now to hoard all the bottles I possibly can!!! Must collect the preshhhusss! Ya know what even if this has absolutely no throw and I'm the only one who can smell it on me? I don't care!!! This smells good enough that I would just slather it on to enjoy for myself! hah! :P

This smells like an EXPENSIVE perfume... like 50-60$ perfume and you can get it for 20$ off the bpal website. Shuh-weet!

EDIT: It's been about an hour and all I smell is powder now. "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo!"

Edited by amberlox