Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

To this day, that night of foolishness is still celebrated! This is a light-hearted scent: apple orchards, bright cranberries, and a touch of warm cider.

Sweet Rhowan :P gifted me with a decant of this. I didn't order it myself because cranberry doesn't agree with me in any other BPAL blends. This started off really well, a lovely apple cider scent with the mulling spices that Beth does so well. But pretty soon the cranberry reared its ugly head and just made this go funky on me :D . I can see how others could love it though. Edited by Shollin

Punkie Night is another delightfully straightforward autumn blend, and I love the apple orchard and cider notes. The cranberry goes a bit weird when it hits my skin, so I think I might use this in the oil burner, during the Thanksgiving break, in order to get in the mood and scent the apartment with its deliciousness.

Punkie Night.....

This was one of the Halloweenie blends I figured I had to have..not because I am such a foody gal..but because it seemed a bit whimsical and lighthearted and sometimes..you just want that carefree spirit in what you are wearing. You don't want complex..you just want straightforward.

Initial sniff from bottle:Apples and cranberries. Cranberries and apples. Fresh pressed apples..with a tinge of cranberry thrown in. It conjures up apple picking in the brisk autumn air for me..

Applied wet on skin:Cranberry and apple...should I be smelling something else??? No...I don't think so..it's all just that cran-apple wave that has me thinking for a split second of Ocean Spray cranberry juice blends and then cider. Truly it's a fun scent...and linear on me..as it should be.

Couple of minutes on skin:More cranberry than apple..and as LiberAmoris stated..this note sort of veers off on me...but it's still wearable. I wore this last weekend and when I hugged my mom goodbye as I headed out the door she said I smelled like holidays..specifically Christmas..and there was delight in her voice. I felt good for making her smile. :P

Sometimes I think Punkie Night wears on me suspiciously close like a Yankee candle..but it doesn't quite go over to that territory.

Drydown:It's all softened...with more the cranberry than the apple.

Throw is soft..and lasting power is about 3 to 4+hours.

Bottom Line:Punkie Night is a fun autumnal fragrance. I found it nice on me..but I think I would get much more use out of it in an oil burner. However..I just might dot some on during Thanksgiving and maybe the days leading up to Christmas just because seeing my mom's smile made me sing inside. :D

This reminds me a lot of Harvest Moon 2005, but without the soft floral that comes out in the drydown. It's pretty much a straight up spiced cider scent with just a touch of cranberry. As many others have said, this is going to smell great in an oil burner, but it smells a little bit too much like a candle or room scent to make it wearable.

Punkie Night

I’m surprised more people aren’t mentioning the wood note in this blend. It’s very strong on me; in fact, I think it’s the base of the blend.

So, I’m guessing this is apple wood, since Beth mentions an apple orchard in her description.

On me, I get a lovely wet hit of cool apple and apple peel (that nice bitter-herbal scent that apple peels have), not too sweet, followed by the tartness of cranberries and the warmth and dry sweetness of the wood, then just a dash of spice and the lovely fermented warmth of apple cider in the barrel. All this is blended in a delightful way, making a round, opaque blend with no sharp edges; the cranberries seem to have disappeared, or maybe they just blended into the apples; an apple orchard and lightly spiced hard cider with maybe a few cranberries tossed in and heated until they burst with little fizzing “pop”s.

It lingers for several hours everywhere but on my wrists, where it needs frequent reapplication. Six hours after applying I still get the occasional appley/woody waft of Punkie Night from where my cleavage would be if I wore more formidable underpinnings, though. :P The throw is fairly strong at first; I need to remember to put this on half an hour before I leave the house when I’m going to be taking public transportation anywhere. It settles down eventually, though to low-moderate throw.

Undoubetly this would make a great room scent. I also like wandering around in my own little cloud of apples and apple wood, though. Makes me smell like I was out picking apples and cutting back deadwood for kindling before I went into the office. :D

This scent and I are not friends.

This scent is pure sour apple on my skin, with some spicey elements on it...

It kind of reminds me of a more intense Harvest Moon blend AND Poison Apple that was realeased from Bath and Body Works which I liked as a burning oil. But as a perfume oil? No thanks.

My skin just seems to LOVE to amp up apple smells, which to me isn't very attractive...

*waves good bye to Punkie Night*

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Bitter apple cider.

In the imp: Cold apple cider! It reminds me of something, but I can't figure what.

On skin, wet: Bitter green apples. Not apple cider, not cranberries, just... bitter green apples.

On skin, dry: A bit more cidery, but still very bitter. There's nothing sour about it, it's just strong, sharp, and, well, bitter. The longer it wears, the smoother, less bitter it becomes, but it takes its sweet time getting to the point where I like it. I can't see myself wanting to wait that long on a regular basis.

Conclusion/Notes: No go. Apple notes are tricky for me, and my skin just couldn't deal with the apple note(s) in Punkie Night.

IN THE BOTTLE: Oooh. Midday in an apple orchard. Sun warmed apples and apple blossoms.

WET: Tart apples, apple blossoms, and...bubblegum?! WHere did that come from?!

DRY: Okay, the bubblgegum died down some, but is still there in the background. The apple has cooled down from it's sun drenched day. The apple blossom (or other veeery faint floral?) is wafting in and out.

THROW: Slightly weak

It's a good spring/summer scent. I didn't pick up enough spice to constitute "cider", but I really like it none the less. Sweet without being cloying, with a tart bite in the background. Oh, happy girl!

This is all lovely apples on me. It reminds me strongly of the other apple scents in the catalog – Verdandi and Hesperides, both of which I liked quite a bit. As it wears, it’s still very similar to my nose (which admittedly is a bit screwy due to this cold I have). Verdandi is a bit softer and rounder, while this is a bit more tart. The cranberries must be amping up a bit.

It would smell fabulous in a burner, body wash or lotion. I don’t know that I need a bottle because I’ve got Verdandi already and several imps of Hesperides. Great for the season though.

Bottle: spicy cider

Wet: same, with the deep apple-ness of fresh apple peelings

Dry: spicy, berry-apple, and a tad like a yankee candle. hm.

Later: Yep, candle. Definitely candle. how unforunate - that fresh apple smell was so short-lived, but it was really wonderful while it lasted. I don't know if it's the cranberry responsible for the shift, but it's sad. I'll have to try it as a room scent, though, since it may stay truer in that form.

In the bottle - Overpowering cranberry with a bit of apple cider in the background.

Wet - The cranberry is still there but not as strong as earlier, the apple cider comes out more and blends beautifully with the cranberry. I get a slight woodsy scent in the background.

Dry - The apple cider is the strongest note now with the cranberry making it nice and sweet. I get a tiny bit of spice now and the woodsy smell seems to have disappeared.

Not a whole lot of throw but it does last a while on me and it just gets softer as it wears on. A perfect fall scent!

i got a bit of this as an extra goodie in a package from the lovely thursdae - i didn't think to try it otherwise, 'cause it just sounded kinda not that exciting. but it turns out i like it! it smells like harvest moon when wet - tart, sharp apple cider. but the cranberry makes it even sharper and tarter (tarter? is that a word?). i'm finding i like cranberries, judging by this and jersey devil. there is also something dark and mellow lurking beneath the apples, almost like an oak barrel, or dried leaves. nice and autumnal! then this one gets the slightest bit perfumey, though not at all soapy, which is a relief. i dunno, i'm quite enjoying this! who knew? it's basically apples 'n' spice, and it's fairly straightforward, but it seems to work well on my skin. yay!

Edited by AliBabble

In the bottle: cranberry Jolly Rancher, with something musty underneath.

Wet: cranberries, apples in an orchard with moldy, musty rotting woods under the trees. :P

Dry down: a lovely cranberry apple scent. No more musty woods. Slight spice. This becomes perfumey, but not in a perfume counter or Bath & Bodyworks, or candles way. This is crisp.

30 minutes: crisp, perfumey cran/apple, with a hint of spice and slight cider feel. This is really lovely, it sparkles.

Conclusion: I am seriously contemplating a large bottle before the Hallowe'enies go away. This would make a great room scent. It is straight forward, nothing complex on me. Just cran apple sparkling cider. I wish it was a little more boozy. But it is clean and crisp and fresh. Just lovely.'

Rating 1-5, on my skin, this is a 4.

i LOVE foody scents, and apple and cranberries sounded heavenly to me. the only reason i didn't buy this one when i first read about it was i wanted to combine it with a yule order once it came out... I had a chance to try a friend's, and it was totally different than i expected. for the first 5 seconds or so, this is a strong apple cidery scent. Very quickly, though, it turned to a cheap, plastic-like alcoholic apple cider smell. i'm so disappointed in this, but i'm glad i had a chance to try it before i bought a bottle...

In the vial: Apples! Warm, golden apples.

Wet: The apples are the main scent I get - very golden, with the cranberries playing in the background.

Drydown: This dries down into a lovely warm cider scent.

2006 version

When I sniffed Punkie Night in the imp, and as I dabbed it on, I thought to myself that I'd found the one BPAL apple blend that would work on me. It smelled like a mouthful of crisp apples and tart cranberries.

As it settles into my skin, it picks up a sour note underneath, very craft store. But that wanders away after a few more minutes, leaving a scent behind that fits the description perfectly. It might be a tiny bit too room scent-ish for skin wear, depending on your sensibilities; it definitely leans more toward apple cider than apple orchard, with a nice dollop of cranberry juice.

All told, it's not the sweet, fresh apple scent I was hoping for, but it's still pretty damn good. This is tied with Creepy as my favorite of the 2006 Hallowe'en scents.

2010 version

Smells the same as my memory of 2006's version. I was all primed to get a bottle of this, then I thought -- do I really need this if I have Poisoned Apple? I don't know. This is less "sinister" than Poisoned Apple but I'm already planning on getting Lambs-Wool. How many apple blends do I need? (Although I do dearly love apple perfumes.) I'll have to think about it.

Edited by karen

First impression: Cider! Lots of apple; I didn't get the cranberry until I thought about Lampades, but then I could smell it. And it pretty well stays that way, apple and cranberry mixed. The cranberry lends a bit of sharpness, and overall it's fairly light. Staying power is moderate; it was fading fast at the 8-hour mark.

This won't displace Verdandi as my favorite apple scent, but it's definitely worth keeping and using up. I think it would work well in warmer weather, too -- it's not strictly autumnal. Bottom line: Nice.

In the bottle: Spicy wood, hint of apple. Well, actually, waves of apple next to the wood.

Wet: Oooooh...woody apple, the spice just below. Mmmm.

Drying: Cranberry and spices. I like this a lot. On me, it dries down like fall-goes-into-winter. It dries down into deliciousness. I want hot cider now!

punkienight.jpg

Imp: Lots of tart apples. I'm guessing that its really cranberry + apple, but I can't seperate the cranberries, so the result is apples that smell juicy but pleasantly tart.

Wet: Same as in imp, but with the barest hint of spice.

Dry: The cranberry becomes its own note, and this as a very juicy pure fruity cran-apple. As pretty and yummy as it is, it kinda makes me think of craft store apples and apple candy (apple jolly ranchers, to be exact). The cranberries don't stick around for long, melding back to the apple to make it tart, and the spices stay very faint. About 3 hrs in it takes on a more "perfumey" note with the apples, not sure what it is. It does take the craft store vision away, though.

Overall: The apple in this is similar to the apples in Hesperides or Harvest Moon 05, in fact, I'd say that Punkie Night is like an extraction of the apples from HM 05 without all the other notes. Its a very pure apple fruity scent, I get very little spice or cranberry. I don't think its something that I'll wear since it conjurs thoughts of candies and craft stores. Sadly, my favorite apple yet is Hesperides, and I can't find a bottle that smells like my imp (batch variations strike again!). I shall continue the quest for my perfect apple scent....

Edited by jewelbug

PUNKIE NIGHT

In Bottle: Apple!

On Skin: This is a beautiful fall scent. I expected overwhelming pumpkin for some reason, but it’s not even listed as a note. I smell apples in all forms… fresh and crisp, then warm pie, then cider… how exciting!! The cranberries add to the festive feel and make it even brighter. The mulling spices in the cider bring wrmth and just a touch of spice. This is the perfect fall room scent. I wish I had had a bottle earlier this year. We’re moving into winter now so I want to use my winter room scents, but this would be perfect for next fall. I love the mood and feel it evokes… instantly inviting. It has a medium throw and long wearlength.

First Impression: Apples and leaves.

Dries down to: Not much change.

Additional Comments: This is exactly what it is - crisp apples - the tart variety, not the sweet. It's nice but I like a touch of sugar with my apple scents.

Lasted: 2-3 hours.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

This is the perfect fragrance of a crafts store on my skin. Would probably work better as a room fragrance. (Cider and spices don't work for me at all--it's really sad.)

in vial: this smelled like apple juice and sugar to me. Ok, but not something I thought would work.

Wet: cider and cranberry juice. How very odd.

Dry: It's growing on me. It's not something I'll wear often, but it's interesting enough to keep around. The cranberry keeps it tart as opposed to sickly, and there's a bit of warmth to it from cinnamon maybe?

In the bottle - Apples and wood

Wet on me - Warmed cider, softly spiced

Dry on me - Crisp autumn air filled with the smoke from a nearby bonfire and softened with the scent of apples and brightened by cranberries

Overall - A contradiction, clean and crisp yet earth, spicy and warm yet light and bright. All topped off with a sprinkling of brown sugar :P

Luckily, I was able to test this at a Meet N Sniff and soon after I placed my second ever bottle order at the Lab. I've been so obsessed with it of late I just was too distracted to deign to review it.

In the bottle: An apple orchard in late October at sunset, where there's a slight nip to the air and you are making out with someone who is bracing you against an old tree.

I disagree with a lot of reviewers here in that these apples do not smell green to me. Nor do they smell 'crisp'. They are deep red and gold autumn apples, overly ripe, just fallen from the tree and laying in the roots. This is the most Autumnal scent ever to grace my nose save actual AUTUMN. There is a wonderful cider smell, but the scent is so naturally blended that it smells like cider if you could tap cider from a tree. It doesn't taste human-brewed, you know?

On my skin: Doesn't change to a different scent but gets layers. Mulled spices, tree bark, and such, although the harvest apple scent is still true and the most prominent. I don't smell the cranberry individually, but it must be part of that mulled spices, cidery blend that is part of this scent.

It does not smell like a candle to me. Or a tart. I have Yankee tarts in two different scents of apple and one called 'harvest wreath' and not any of them smell like this. I would not use this as a room scent simply because I can't imagine using a drop of it on anything but my skin. Using it to sweeten the air in a room seems too impersonal a use for this scent.

Dry and later: Keeps its purity, especially if I put it in my hair, and it has a wonderful throw; intoxicating but welcome and wouldn't offend even the most perfume-sensitive nostrils. Stays for hours, and over a day! I put it in my hair yesterday morning and now it's evening the next day and I still smell it! I hate that I'm going to take a shower.

Now I can't wait to try Hesperides with the comparisons to it.

One of my top three BPAL scents so far (the others are Swank and Nephilim).