Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

To this day, that night of foolishness is still celebrated! This is a light-hearted scent: apple orchards, bright cranberries, and a touch of warm cider.

2010 version.

bottle: in the bottle , this is far more cranberry than apple, especially when compared to the 2006 version.

wet: still much heavier on the cranberry (which i love!) than the previous version. this is a much nicer balance of apples, cranberries & cider. very crisp.

dry: as this dries, it becomes a sweet, soft cider scent, much like the original version.

Oh, yes. YES. The first apple scent from BPAL that hasn't gone weird on me!

In the bottle (that was nicely chilled thanks to Michigan weather), it smelled like fresh apples with a touch of cinnamon.

Wet (and on clothing) it still retains that tartness, but the cinnamon comes more out to the forefront.

Dry, it's a lot like cinnamon red hots before my skin just eats it all.

I'm really glad I sprung for the bottle! Apple scents never worked out on me before, but this is just gorgeous.

EDIT: Need to be careful with this one, though--not sure if it's the cinnamon or whatnot, but it makes my skin flare up if I use it too much. I might use it to scent my hair, though...

Edited by Miyabi

in the bottle: not really getting any apples, which is disappointing, but the cranberries is shining through and it makes me think of pixie stix, with an after scent of cider.

fresh on: still that pixie stix sensation, it's kind of strong.

dry down: it's making my skin burn a little... which has never happened with a bpal before... the cranberries has cooled down and I can smell some of the apple now, which smells very fake and candle like. I had really high hopes for this one, but alas, I'll probably end up swapping it. :goes to wash off the burning:

This is the 2010 version.

In the decant: Delicious cider!

Wet: Sharp, tart apple. Granny Smith apple. An additional sharpish scent that I believe is cranberry.

Drydown: The tartness is rounded out by the spices now. It really does smell cider-y.

Later: This smells like holidays. I wore it on Thanksgiving. Great scent for October all the way through the end of December, I think.

Definitely as described. Apple cider. With some of the tartness. I almost feel myself pucker when I smell it. It really brings you to a chilly autumn night with a hot cup of cider.

Oh my, this is my childhood in a bottle.

Imp: Orchard-fresh apples and smashed cranberries underfoot. Beautiful.

Wet: The cranberries are morphing into cider. It's very spicy, but I can't smell the apple as much anymore.

Dry: Mmmm, cinnamon. I'm bummed that my skin doesn't bring out the apple, but this is still a gorgeous and evocative scent.

This makes me so nostalgic for Michigan autumns. I'm so delighted I managed to find a bottle on the forums. This is all I'll wear in the fall.

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: This is for the 2006 version, and I still don't know how I managed not to review it at the time. It sounded like a cheerfully fruity autumn scent so I gave it a try.

In the Bottle: Bright fruity goodness without being overly sweet.

Wet: CIDER! Cider notes must have some variation of musk/incense/booze notes, which all tend to amp on me tremendously. I can still get some apple, but not much cranberry.

Drydown: The cider backs off and lets the fruit come back a little more strongly. Its presence is now more like strongly spiced fruit.

Verdict: I'm not sure I would have kept the bottle, except on a whim I tried layering it with Jack. Instant autumn classic.

This is another of my favorite scents, and on me it is warm spiced cider- much warmer and spicier than Creepy (another of my favorites).

2010 decant: This is as described, a sweet apple cider, slightly tart from the cranberries, and mildly spicy. It's very nice, but I much prefer satisfying my cider needs from Lamb's Wool and Fearful Pleasure.

This is a yummy one, but extremely strong. I feel like I need to apply it at least an hour before I leave the house to avoid having everyone within a ten mile radius getting a whiff of my delicious, spiced cran-apple stench. That's pretty much what it smells like. It's heavier on the cranberry than the apple, and man, does it pack a powerful punch. I advise against using it in an oil burner. Tart, spiced cider.

Throw: Holy @#$! [10/5]

Longevity: Godly [5/5]

Rating: Num [4/5]

Thoughts before testing: I was super excited to try this one out. I love apples and cranberries, and love the smell of real cider.

Wet: Bright fresh cranberry. Wow. Every year for Thanksgiving I make cranberry pear jelly squares, and this smells exactly like the first stage of making the jellies.

Dry down: The other notes start to appear, and I go from smelling like delicious cranberry to a Yankee Candle I had last year. I don't know how I feel about this.

Dry: Not much change from the dry down to completely dry. I still smell like a candle, and I don't think that this works as perfume on me.

Thoughts after testing: This will make a lovely room scent, but I don't like it on my skin.

Ah. That's what it is. The bitterness of the cranberries was reminiscent of apple blossom, which left me in dread that this would go soapy on me. But no, it's just staying a rather bitter grounding of the entire scent. I can actually smell the leaves in the apple orchard, and the cider is full of cloves. I also want to note here that, though I have to really slather some other scents, I only had to knock the bottle against my wrist twice, and it's clinging to my skin and really staying strong.

This is great. In my mind, I'm viewing this as sort of a 'back-up' of Autumn Cider. Cider, of course, is much more 'true to life' and much more foody, but this is still absolutely great.

Eep! My first review...just getting started with BPAL so bear with me..

So, out of the bottle I get almost all cranberries, a little sweetness from the apples and then cinnamon is the scent that stays in my nose at the end of the sniff (don't know if you will understand, I'm a little odd)

On skin (wet): APPLES! Oh, with a hint of spiciness but mostly it's apples.

Drydown: Apples, cranberries...reminds me of hot cider and I also get a whiff of something outdoorsy...smoky or cool air...can't really tell

Overall, I adore this scent on me. It's sweet and spicy BUT it stays so close to my skin and I have to slather it.

I definitely think I'll try this as a room scent as well though :)

This one is very similar to Autumn Cider to me. Punkie Night is a bit more tart, which must be the cranberries. I think it is a touch too potpourri for me to wear, but I'll use it in my oil burner for a room scent for sure.

Edited by Caper

At first this was all yummy cider!! More spices than apple, but still delicious. As it's faded though I think the cranberry has come out a little more and the spice has faded a bit...and it really is smelling a bit like potpourri. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It's a good smell, but I'm not sure if *I* want to smell like it.

As time goes on it does get a bit "lighter". Not in the sense that it's less strong, but in that it seems to have an airy quality to it. Almost a floral edge but not floral.

This is the 2012 version. Lots of bright, hard red candy apple at first. Not sure why a lot of apple scents translate to candy, but there it is. This fades really fast, and we're left with a dusty apple. Not for me, but it is bright and pretty while it lasts.

2012 vintage

Wet, I get red apple with a tiny hint of mulling spices*.

Wet on skin, the spices start to bloom, followed by the apples, and the cranberry is doing what it always does on me and turning to Refreshers (fizzy) candy, which... actually adds a nice rounded depth to it. Drying down, much the same; it's a faintly spicy apple blend lightened by candy-y cranberry. My main point of comparison is Autumn Cider, and this is definitely a lighter/paler apple blend with less of the warmth I associate with AC.

*An American might say 'cider spices'. I am English and from the West Country, and I do not think that word means what you think it means. Mulling is for wine; my cider is sharp and cool and most definitely alcoholic. My cider will kick your teeth in and walk off with your wallet.

This is great! Upon first application, it's a blast of fruitiness... to my nose it read "berry", but I didn't have the note list in front of me and in retrospect, apple was well-represented, too. As it dried down, it transitioned to much more of a light, clean-smelling scent to me. There's some apple and a little bit of spice, but it's a fresh, lightweight cidery scent, not at all heavy. (I applied this with a light hand, FWIW.)

In the imp: Wow, the first sniff smells almost exactly like Harvest Moon 2006, until it's completely covered up by an overpowering, bright apple note. Here's hoping on my skin it dries down to less apple and more spices and yumminess!

On application: First sniff on me is actually a rather tart apple scent, almost lemony.

Wet: After a couple of minutes, the tartness mostly disappears, sitting at the back of the scent just enough to balance out sweet apples and spices to make a very authentic cider scent. I am torn between "YUM" and "I smell like potpourri."

Drydown: Ten minutes or so into drydown, a grassy note emerges. Uh-oh. This is not a good, dry grass, harvest-y note: it's what that note turns into on me: sour grass. Please go away, grassy note!

Oh good, it's going away, although I still catch whiffs of it at the bottom of the scent. This one doesn't appear to morph much on me: it's a very, very apple cider scent, with just a hint of some other harvest notes lurking in the background. Somewhere between a potpourri scent and an apple one. Pretty.

Edited by Cadenza

Freshly applied on skin the cranberry stands out the most and is piercing my nostrils. After it dried, it reminded me of ripe red apple pulp and peels. Punkie Night echos to my nose a more diluted version of Shango. It's not that similar to Autumn Cider as other members claimed, but it's a wonderful variation of red apple nonetheless.

Edited by theredkilt

Looks like apple is one of those scents I'm going to have to be really careful about. The sweet apple in Samhain worked fine on me, but this one was candle-y for about an hour, then turned to flat chemical nastiness. Reapplying does not resuscitate the apple part, it just magnifies the chemical smell instead. :cry2:

Hopefully this will behave itself on my boyfriend instead...

This is for the 2012 version.

In the bottle: Apples and cranberries.

Wet: Apples, cranberries, and apple cider now.

The dry-down: Apples, apple cider, and cranberries to spice it up. :) Just a lovely apple scent. :wub2:

This is for the 2012 version.

In the bottle this has a very strong cranberry scent. It took me a few moments to realize what initially smelled like Kool-Aid in powder form, before sugar is added, is the cranberry. It initially smells like the cranberry scent in potpourri and room sprays.

On my skin wet, it was still strong cranberry, but that softened within the first five minutes.

After about 10-15 minutes, I could smell soft spices.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work well with my body chemistry. After the soft spice stage, it seemed to take on a waxy scent and went very candle-like on me.

It isn't terrible, but I will use this one in my burner.