Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
requieminblack

Pumpkin Queen

The Glorious Grand Dame of the Pumpkin Patch! Regal Egyptian Amber, red ginger, orange peel, mandarin, cardamom, fig leaf and warm pumpkin.

at first: an almost brutally sweet pumpkin pie scent.
on: a very sweet, warm scent.
1 hour later: too sweet and spicy. i think the red ginger is turning me off.
5 hours later: the amber has come out a lot more. i get a hint of smooth pumpkin and some spices, too.
overall: this is really nice after it calms down, but i like jack better for my spicy pumpkin fix.

In bottle: Pumpkin and spice, 100%.

Wet, on skin: Orange peel and cider. All pumpkin notes fade.

Dry, on skin: Orange peel, very sweet and sharp. Very light.

In the bottle: Rich, foody, spicy pumpkin pie scent, but the citrus cuts the creaminess just enough.

Wet: A bit more citrusy than in the bottle, still very nice and foody in a different, not so buttery way.

Dry: Mostly citrus-spice, which I do like. I wish the pumpkin came through more, though, as I like that creamy pumpkin scent, but it's still nice.

I wore this off and on in autumn, and made a point of wearing it on Thanksgiving, which worked out very well. It's not so foody or sweet that it detracts from what you're cooking and eating, just foody enough to be sort of...atmospheric. A good, womanly (in that it feels feminine without being the least bit floral or girly) scent, reserved yet regal.

Note: Egyptian amber is sex in a bottle. That said, on with the review.

In The Bottle: I'm getting definite pumkin, milk, sugar, and, orange peel. :) I always knew there was a reason I loved gourmand scents. This blend exemplifies that. YAY! I can't wait to try this on!

Wet On Skin ( dabbed on my decolette, so as not to scent my keyboard and wind up smelling like plastic): OH. MY. GODS. orange peel, sugar, cardamom, and, amber. This is unbelievable, like a spiced hot toddy with orange tarts. Warm and sweet and comforting. The amber and cardamom are blending together to lend just a touch of smoky sexiness, the same dead sexy tease I get from my beloved Sugar Skull! :D :D ;)

Drydown: This one takes a few minutes to morph, but once it does.... HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. Evidently, I have even more reason to celebrate. That lovely comforting orange tarts and hot toddy smell stays true, and, it is now joined by the same rich pumkin found in Jack, and the same creaminess found in Milk Moon!!! The incensey kick of cardamom and amber are joined by a sweet floral (I'm assuming that's the ginger?). I get no fig leaf in this, but, what I do get is pure joy! My sincerest congratulations Beth, I've said it before, and, I'll say it again, your genius is unparalelled! Thank you! B) :P :D

Edited by Shollin

This is gorgeous.Warm,buttery pumpkin but the other notes keep it from being full on foody.It's very regal and it brings to mind the color of burnt orange and autumn imagery.My favorite of the Samhain 06 blends.

Wet: Oh god it's warm spicy pumpkin pie and I love it already.

First on: Ginger, amber, pumpkin. It's gorgeous, like I just baked a spicy pie.

Dry: More ambery but still quite a lot of ginger and pumpkin. I get little hints of orange fading in and out, too. This just smells delicious, it's too bad it's LE or I'd slather it.

In the imp, Pumpkin Queen smelled mainly of orange lollipops, with a hint of spiced, buttery pumpkin.

On my skin, it’s a headache-inducingly strong orange Gummy Bear for the first hour or so, then it fades to a subtle orange Gummy Bear… and for the past several hours, Pumpkin Queen’s remained in that state.

I actually swapped for a decant of this to try on my mom (my pumpkin body lotion snatcher), so I’ll definitely update this if I find any variation, once she’s available for experimentation.

In the bottle, this one smells just like spicy pumpkin pie. Yum!

On my skin, it still has the spicy pumpkin pie scent, but it gains a PlayDoh kind of edge to it, which, oddly enough, isn't bad. I'm suspecting the amber is what's causing that, and I'm just happy it didn't turn to straight baby powder on my skin. There's also a fruity scent coming out. It's very light and juicy.

A couple hours later, it has faded almost completely, but I can sniff some remnants of the spice and a little of the PlayDoh.

Verdict: Quite enjoyable, especially if I'm in a foody mood.

On me this is an oily, foody, slightly spiced pumpkin, like a toned-down version of Jack. I'm not a fan, but I think this just cements my conclusion that pumpkin does not get along with my skin. I'm sure someone else will love it :-)

I was disappointed in Pumpkin Queen. I don't know what it is about BPAL's Pumpkin note, but it really DOES NOT work for me.

This scent makes me long for October again - crisp autumn nights, burning bonfires beneath starry skies, apple cider, candy apples, and of course, PUMPKINS! Pumpkin Queen is beautiful...the epitome of a regal, feminine pumpkin scent. The main notes I'm getting here are pumpkin, ginger, orange peel and mandarin, and they blend together wonderfully, creating a soft, warm, slightly spicy scent on my skin. I wish this wasn't an LE and that it was available year-round, because I'll be upset when my imp is gone! :P

In the bottle. . .

I must say, I was blown away by this one. It was my very first BPAL oil and it immediatley turned me on. Its a smooth, creamy, buttery scent with spicy cinnamon and pumpkin notes.

On the skin. . .

At first, its still that same smooth butter scent. But as the day progresses, it fades away and the pumpkin scent takes over. Reminds me of a warm Thanksgiving dinner table <3

Buy Again?

IN A HEARTBEAT!

This starts out buttery pumpkin (like Jack, but not quite as buttery). The orange notes join in next and give the Queen a touch of sweet creaminess. I get a hint of amber in the drydown. Pumpkin Queen is my favourite Halloween scent and I'm hoping for its return this year. :P

I got mine as a decanted imp so I could try it out. I noticed a lot of people really seemed to love it and I'm a Halloween freak, so I figured why not? Right?

In the decant: Why is it not October? Why is it not Halloween right now? That's what I was thinking. Wow, does this embody the holiday for me. I got a really big whiff of pumpkins and almost cider and spice and just warm feelings. I was really amazed by the depth of the scent.

Wet on my skin: I almost cried. It really didn't like me at first and honestly kinda burned on my skin. I came very close to washing it off because it smelled like burnt pumpkin pie with a hint of something very bizarre and old. I wasn't feeling the love.

After about an hour, dry: The scent has completely changed into something very lush. It's almost sexy smelling for a foody scent. It's got this dark undercurrent that's very nice. I really like the way that it still smells like pumpkin pie spices but there's an orange scent in there that lends its way towards a hard cider. It's definitely more "foody" on my skin since I'm inevitably reminded of pie when I'm wearing it. I really like the decant, but I don't think I'd buy a bottle of it even if it were available to me.

I'm discovering I'm not much of a foody person.

It does remind me strongly of Halloween. I'm longing for the season to come again, in fact. It's a very strong scent memory for me. I do like it, just not for me to wear. It'd make a killer room scent though.

I'm really having trouble making up my mind about this one. It starts off as a warm, buttery pumpkin with a nice twist of orange, which I really like. But the dry down is definitely more spicy and a little sharp to my nose. It's a rather sophisticated and posh pumpkin scent, but I think I prefer the sweeter and softer Jack.

I have to agree with everyone else who has compared this to a lighter version of Jack. It's definitely less buttery and less spicy, but still very delicious and perhaps a tiny bit more posh. But my heart is still loyal to my beloved Jack. PQ is nice, but Jack's the King. :P

On me, Jack was so overwhelmingly PUMPKIN! that I had trouble smelling anything else--in the blend, for an hour afterward, etc. Pumpkin Queen, on the other hand, is much lighter and sweeter to me. It smells like delicious, gently pumpkin pie cookies, crumbly and sweet. It's such a wonderful blend, and certainly my favorite containing pumpkin.

Despite being a gourmand pumpkin fragrance hater I tried this on anyway to get it out of the way as it was one of many in a batch of imps then received. I was shocked by how much I adored this! Generally, there is a slightly offensive note in pumpkin that doesn’t work on me but this only made the briefest of appearances before thankfully dashing off. This would be a winner during winter and autumn and I am so lucky to have got a bottle of this after I devoured my imp!

I initially get the citrus scents and the pumpkin dancing back and forth with each other over the amber. After a while the citrus dies back a bit, the pumpkin takes a little more hold, and the amber comes to the forefront. I forgot about the scent for a bit until I smelled the most delicious sweet, spicy scent - kind of like spice cookies - and realized it was the Pumpkin Queen. Yum. The initial scents aren't my favorite ever, but they're nice and totally worth the exquisite spice cookie drydown.

Oh holy mother of all things yummy and baked, I would eat my wrist right now if I had a little less self-control. This stuff is fabulous.

In the bottle--all pumpkin, all the time. On my skin, some of the orange and cardamom come out, enough to give the pumpkin-sweetness unexpected depth. And now (45 minutes after applying), I think I can smell a little amber and musk.

My kingdom for a bottle!

Pumpkin Queen

a review in dialogue

Ghost Light: (sniffing the imp) Mmmm....people keep saying this is buttery, but it's really rich and kind of dark and...very spicy and....mmmm.....(slather)

Pumpkin Queen: Ohm you poor, poor dear. Has Jasmine been bullying you again?

Ghost Light: (sniffing) Uh-huh.

Pumpkin Queen: (drawing Ghost Light onto her lap and cradling her against her ample bosom) Shh...shhh...it's okay. I'm here now. Don't be afraid.

Ghost Light: Wait a minute! I know you! You're not pumpkin at all! You're FIG! And you, you're cardamom! You're lovely! You're so deep and regal. You're perfect.

Pumpkin Queen: (preening) Why yes, yes I am.

Ghost Light: Geolinguist! Geolinguist! Smell this, isn't it perfect?

Geolinguist: (sniffing) You smell like a Fig Newton.

Ghost Light: (stamping foot) I do not! Sniff again.

Geolinguist: (sniffing) No. You smell like a spicy Fig Newton.

Ghost Light: (appealing to a high power) Hubby! Huuubby! Smell my wrist. What do you think?

Hubby: I think you need to find some girlfriends.

Geolinguist: Hey!

Hubby: (sniffing with an all-suffering sigh) I don't like it. You smell like a Fig Newton.

Ghost Light: Well, I don't care. I like it and I'm keeping it, so there.

Pumpkin Queen and Ghost Light: :P

Geolinguist and Hubby: Newton.

Keeping the imp? Hell yes!

Bottle? Hell yes!

Bought a decanted imp for a co-worker who wanted a spicey fall scent, but *shifty eyes* had to try it myself... :P

In bottle- warm, spicy, foody

Wet- pumpkin pie and whip cream

Dry down-all sorts of spice and amber with pumpkin still in the background.

I'm SO craving pumpkin pie right now! YUMMY!

I'm getting more of this for ME....yeah, you're damn right I am!!!!

Sigh....I just want to lick my wrists right now, but I know that wouldn't taste anywhere NEAR as good as this smells! :D

Edit....eeeeee! got my own big bottle!!!! Yay!

And this does remind me a bit of Shub....just not as lemony/ginger. (yeah....I've got a big bottle of Shub on the way also...sigh.....)

Edited by Bulletslc

When I first smelled this right out of the bottle last night, my stomach turned. It smelled an awful lot like Shub to me, and I'd first worn Shub just before getting sick (you know how that scent association works, even if it isn't the thing that makes you sick!) -- so I didn't put it on.

This morning, I gave it a small try, and it started out full on pumpkin and ginger, warmed by amber. "Hmm," I said to myself. "I dunno...."

But then lovely of all lovely -- the citrus notes here started to pop out, and for me, that saved the whole thing. It was enough to offset everything so that the Queen was a bit tart, rather than overly sweet, and that's just what my sniffer needed this morning! This bottle is a keeper, and I look forward to bringing it out on grey, rainy spring days. If not, then it'll be staple come fall!

I was still pretty new to BPAL when the last batch of Halloweenies was available from the lab, so I've sort of been into dropping by eBay now and again and bidding on bottles of various LEs that I've since really regretted not buying at the time. Pumpkin Queen was thankfully one of the ones I actually won. I just received it in the mail today, and since it's actually very chilly and even snowing out although it's April, I figured it would be just the thing to reach for today scentwise. :D

This scent is simply heavenly... really. It's actually in the same mental scent category as Shub for me, although there are enough differences to give Pumpkin Queen its own identity. This is one of those ones that perfectly blends foody and feminine for me. I can very definitely smell the buttery loveliness of the pumpkin and the gingery spices. I also smell quite a bit of citurus in this... probably orange. I normally don't much care for orange notes, but I am really loving the one in Pumpkin Queen. It just goes so well with all the others. I also smell something rather floral in here. Are there florals in Pumpkin Queen? I honestly don't remember, but that would certainly explain the very feminine, elegant feeling I'm getting from this in equal amounts as the fun, happy, Halloween feeling.

This does really embody Halloween for me... perfectly in fact... but not so much that I wouldn't wear it any other time. Actually, unlike some of my other foody blends, this is light enough and pretty enough to wear year round I think. My fiance and I were planning on getting married in Vegas this summer, but yesterday we decided we'd rather do Salem. I was kind of up in the air as to what BPAL I could wear that would be feminine enough for a bride, but would still kind of tie in to something I relate to Salem. I'm thinking that unless some lucky BPAL really blows me away between now and then, Pumpkin Queen is going to be it! Seriously... I love this so much, I want to get married in it. Literally. :P

in the imp, this is the warmest, most delicious, most glorious pumpkin scent ever. when i slather it on myself, the orangey citrus notes really come out on top of a base of rich pumpkin and amber. this is my perfect fall scent... where can i get a bottle?!