Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Titania

A nocturnal bounty of fae dew-kissed petals and pale fruits: white grape, white peach, iced pear, musk rose, sweet pea, moonflower and snapdragon.

Upon first sniff from my delightful little imp, I swooned. This is a magical, beautiful blend of fruity, blossoming loveliness. Very sweet and delicate, but I can also already tell that this is going to be a fairly heady and long lasting oil.

Drying down, it retains it's fruity beauty. I can definitely smell something that reminds me of ripe peaches and grapes. Like opening a bottle of Tropicana twister!

Unfortunately... after it's been dry for a while, it starts to morph into a sticky, artificial candy smell. Like I left a bag of jolly ranchers in my car in 100 degree weather and they've melted into a teaming puddle of fruit syrup.

Smelling my wrist, I smell the delicate scent I initially loved, but the scent that wafts is a definitely plasticine candy smell.

Boo.. I thought I had found a favorite.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Bubblegum!

In the imp/bottle: Bright, almost frozen moonflower, and beautiful, equally-beautiful peach and pear.

On skin, wet: Bubble-gum! This turns into bubble-gum instantly. Everything that I caught in the imp is gone -- or, perhaps, everything blended together to form the bubble-gum. Either way, it's nothing like the imp.

On skin, dry: Sweet, almost chalky bubble-gum. Not much else to say about that.

Conclusion: Since Aeval also turned bubble-gummy after a while, I'm guessing it's the sweet pea. It might be great in an oil-burner, though, where my skin chemistry holds no sway.

Edited by Aredhel

Titania smells like orange jello!

I really like it on my clothes; on my skin the musk really comes out and I don't think I'm such a fan of musk, sadly. It's very fruity and light and pretty otherwise--enough that I still might have to get a bottle :P

I received Titania as a freebie imp in a previous order, and I've been hesitant to try it. Yes, it has pear, and I love pear, but it has peach, and peach and I have quite a shaky past together outside of BPAL history. To be honest, this is the first fragrance that I know has peach in it that I've tried. Apricot didn't work too well on my with the March Hare, so I had low hopes for the fruit cousin.

In the initial moments of the test period, Titania smelled like Bubblicious bubble gum. Quirky. After a couple of minutes, I gave it another sniff. The bubble gum fragrance from the beginning calmed down, but the fragrance still is very fruity and quite juicy. I can't distinguish the notes easily, so the overall fragrance is just "fruity."

Normally, I'm kind of ambivalent with fruity scents; it depends on the fruit and the amount of sweetness the fragrance has. Titania is a pleasant sort of fruity that seems very natural. It's a sweet fragrance, but the sweetness isn't cloying or saccharine on my skin. It's precisely like fresh-cut ripe fruit. The peach note doesn't offend me as pretty much all other peach fragrances, in fact, it's rather nice. I can't really detect the pear note as much as I could in other pear fragrances (Endymion and Juliet). Here, it seems more like a supporting hand.

The sweet pea is adding to the freshness of Titania. Other fragrances with sweet pea I've tried have worked really well for me, so I'm glad that Titania followed suit. The musk rose seems to be a base in the background for this scent, and as the drydown commences, we move away from the fresh-fruit smell to the smell of lightly fragrant flowers that still manage to pack a punch. There does seem to be an underlying amount of powderyness in about 15 minutes of wear, but it's very faint.

Overall, Titania was nice. I don't know if I'll be picking up a big bottle of this for myself, but I'd really recommend getting this for a mother or mother-in-law. It would make a fantastic gift. As for me, I'll hold onto my imp and deliberate further. I really can't say anything negative about Titania, but I'm just not quite convinced that this will be a fragrance I would wear regularly enough to warrant a large bottle.

-doreen

In the imp-fruity and soft, definite sweetpea and pear.

Wet-lovely and sparkling fruit with a nice soft floral undertone.

Later-that sparkling fruit scent died down unfortunately, but it still is nice and soft and very feminine.

I will probably have to get a 5ml of this, very nice scent and I can see wearing it in the spring. :P

titania.jpg

Bottle: This is very sweet and fruity. I think I am getting mostly grape and pear, but the combination actually smells a lot like melon to my nose. No peach that I can discern.

Wet: This is initially kinda like watermelon jolly ranchers with a powdery floral after. Another floral at the end is a bit more biting--don't know what it is, but reminds me of the sharpness I smelled in queen Gertrude (except I don't think they have common notes, so no idea why). Luckily, the watermelon recedes into grape. This is pretty.

Drying: This is mostly flower--a sweet flower with that same harsher sharper flower I mention above.

In about 40 min, its less powder, and has a sweet juicy grape, with the florals as an after-note. After another hour, I can smell more pears, though its still behind the sweet grapes, still with the floral background.

Overall: I don't know what to do with this. I really like it--its dewy and definitely the juiciest BPAL i've tried to date. Tt’s a bit more fruity than my normal scents--beth has surprised me again! I think it could make a really cool grape--fresh candle/home smell. And I don’t' mind wearing it either. I will keep this around and test again soon. This floral likes me. Probably cuz it's more fruit than floral. :P Hehe.

Lasts well for 3-4 hours, sticks around faintly after that, though.

Edited by jewelbug

Decided to be experimental and swiped this across wrists and collarbone.

In the imp: Fruuuuuity. It reminds me of all that tutti-frutti someone was talking about when I was little. No sign of the florals, but I get the idea of intense fruit punch.

Wet: The grape note's really coming out on this. It stings a little. Man, I hope it's not like this on the drydown.

Drydown: Fruity bubblegum and candles. No thanks.

Off to swaps.

A friend who absolutely does not wear perfume walked into my house and immediately starting sniffing me and demanding to know what I was wearing.

This blend is just lovely. Utterly soft and so pretty I may need to acquire something frothy and white to wear on balmy spring days just to do this justice. This is all pale greens and pinks and soft white, a luminescent and gentle thing of beauty. The pears and grapes come out first, and rest on the delicate florals. Exquisitely feminine and more than a touch fae.

A pretty steady scent on me. Mostly getting the icy fruits (esp. peach and pear) with a touch of sugar, but no florals. A silvery pink-and-blue scent, and very pleasant. I tried it while wearing Fruit Moon to see if I could swap it in (I didn't order any Fruit Moon, boo), and it's much sweeter and more "finished"-smelling, but still satisfies that fruit kick.

This reminds me of white grape peach juice, which is a good thing. I like white grape peach juice, and I LOVE Titania. I'm not very good at picking out individual notes, but I think the white grape and peach hit me the most. I don't get much of a floral scent out of it. Titania doesn't last as long as I could wish, but it does last longer on me than most other BPAL scents I've tried so far. Definitely one of my favorites.

ETA: Two and a half years later, I'm still lovin' Titania.

Edited by angharad

This is very fruity, but there's a bit of floral in the back (obviously flowers in here!) and it goes a bit Jolly Rancher, as some have already mentioned, though I definitely smell peach and not watermelon.

As it starts to dry down, though, it turns.. and I'm not sure I like it much. :D This one might be heading to the swaps. :P

Verdict: There have been a lot of blends I was HOPING would turn out like this. It's all pear and a touch of peach and sweet, gentle florals. Very pleased!

Bottle

The strongest scent drifting up from the imp is sparkling, sweet grape juice. The aroma is blended with light, fresh fruity scents and crisp floral notes. It is quite a lovely blend and suprisingly strong. It perfumes my immediate area, yet the scent is still quite delicate.

Wet

The fruit scent is much stronger, but it is such a lovely type of fruit: wet, juicy, fragrant, dew on the skin/rind. The floral scents keep threading up from the sweet base, weaving into the fruit to develop a more sophisticated experience. I can pick out different notes in the course of one breath in, and the transitions are lovely.

Dry

To me, this scent is to spring as what The Hesperides are to autumn. It is delicate, fresh, femmine, and season invoking. Gorgeous blend and once again, I am completely enraptured. The scent has quite a nice lasting quality to it, perhaps one of the best features of it. While the mix is light, it boasts the lasting power of some of the longest mixes while never being overwhelming. After a few hours, it softens to a whispher, as a left over memory on an item of clothing or that delicious feeling after a nap in the spring afternoon.

I've been trying for a fruit or floral that didn't go cloyingly sweet inside of ten minutes on me. Who knew that the solution was to mix a fruit with a floral! They say "iced pear" and on me the frostiness really comes out. The white grape doesn't go all "jelly" on me like some grapes and wines do and the musk and floral keep it from being too sweet. A winner! It'll be a fantastic spring scent, I might even dash it on in the middle of winter when I need some spring breezes.

In the imp it smells sweet, with just a hint of Juicy Fruit gum. I had previously associated that smell with lotus, but maybe it's the grape. On, it stays very consistent, a lovely sweet scent, but still light and airy. It faded quickly on me, about 2 hours, but I was sparing in applying it, so I will have to try a more liberal application next time. Definitely keeping the imp, but not yet sure if it's a bottle scent.

In The Bottle: Overpowering floral.

Wet: White grape and rose musk immediately.

Dry: The florals fade until they're just hovering in the background. The most prominent note is a sparkling white grape scent.

It's a lovely smell, and it seems to suit me. I don't get any of the cool icy notes unfortunately, everything seems to turn very warm on me. I was hoping for more of the peach and pear scents too. But, the grape is beautiful. Unfortunately it faded within two hours. I am sure I'll be getting a bigger bottle of this, and I'll just have to slather it on throughout the day.

Wet: sweet and fruity. Oo, Watermelon Jolly Ranchers!! With the emphasis on water, as unlike Jolly Ranchers, this isn't completely, overwhelmingly, mouth puckeringly sweet. It's very light, though, a good scent for a hot and sticky summers day.

Overall drydown: hmm, something's going a bit, well, rotten? And boozy? Not unpleasantly so, it's just a hint of...overripeness, I guess you'd call it. Apart from that slight rottenness this is a nice blend.

Oro

Edited by Orodemniades

In the bottle

It is a pale gold liquid.

It smells like pear and champagne or something close to that.

On

So fresh smelling. Like a fresh crisp pear and sweet grasses. The above poster was spot on with her comparitive of "this scent is to spring as what The Hesperides are to autumn."

30 minutes

It's still so fresh smelling just like a little fairy glade would smell in a patch of golden sunshine in the woods near a stream.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Fruity/ fresh floral

Summary

Titania is the Queen of the Fairies and wife of Oberon in Shakespeare's Midsummer-Night's Dream. And this blend has that starry ethereal quality mixed with the freshness of greenery, crispness of grape and pear, and light flowers.

Purchase again?

Yes. I knew it would be beautiful, I don't know why I didn't just buy a 10ml bottle.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

Titania is a soapy-clean, watery sort of fruity-floral. The fruits all smell very watery, not very sweet, and pale, like fruits with most of the flavor sucked out of them. The florals are musky-perfumey, sweet, and soapy. It's hard to pick out any one note here, though I do notice the white grape and plastic-y, clean peach.

All in all, this is too perfumey and soapy for me. It reminds me of a bad department store fruity-floral with white flowers. Gives me a headache :(

Edited by Little Bird

Titania

In the imp: crisp moist pale fruits.

Wet on skin: gorgeous crisp white fruits-and the rose is coming through!

Dry on skin: this is lovely! Pear and rose are prominent in this, I think I can smell the grape (which in here is almost white wine like), the moonflower and the peach. This scent is not very sweet-it's tart and fresh, almost dewy and moist, quite tangy, but the rose is rich and deep, darkening the blend.

After a while: the scent is now a nice balance between white wine-like grapes, pear and rose, with a little bit of moonflower. The scent is nicely balanced now, and much sweeter, it's an enjoyable combination of sharp fruits and florals. It reminds me of a Chaos Theory I tried, actually.

Verdict: this is another interesting scent. At first it's a sharp fruity scent, clean and fresh. Then the rose comes in and deepens the scent, adding a floral dimension to it. then the scent sweetens and smoothes out. It is a lovely scent, but I do prefer other fairy-themed blends such as Fae and Queen Mab. I might keep the imp of this and give it another try.

In the bottle: light and aquatic flowers and fruits... I can catch the grape, rose and peach best. Makes you think of an enchanted banquet, and I'm already under its spell.

Wet: it becomes a little sharper as I put it on, and the sweet pea and pear peek out from under the rose and peach. It still smells wonderfully aquatic, very dewy and juicy.

Drydown: at a certain point, the aquatic note changes - it becomes very sharp and airy, the best way I can describe it is the extremely sharp smell the air gets just before it snows. So there are the fruits, peach, grape and pear, covered in ice, frozen in a wonderfully sparkly arrangement.

Overall: Beautiful. I had high hopes for Titania because my second name is affiliated to her name, and I've always been into fairy queens in general. This is a lovely fruit/floral blend that doesn't smell foody or fake - it's ethereal, both aquatic and airy. It's a pity that the drydown stays so sharp on me, because it nearly gives me an "ice-cream headache" at times. It also has quite a staying power - the peach grips on me for at least 12 hours.

In the bottle, pure florals - I couldn't smell any fruit at all.

Wet, it was still entirely floral - I'd had high hopes for the fruit smells other people talked about, but no dice.

Dry - finally, some fruit! The fruit starts taking over completely once it's entirely dry, with the florals staying pretty strong in the background. Like a previous reviewer, I also smell something that's almost like white wine, but only in the distant background.

Faint powder smell, which, since I'm new to BPAL, I don't know what note it's caused by on my skin - I think it's one of the fruits. It's pretty faint, though.

Very, very sweet, and very strong. Florals and fruits both tend to magnify on me and throw a lot of scent - this one is no exception. If I decide to keep it, I'll have to dilute it with something, I think. After wearing it for four or so hours, it's still going strong, and it gives me a bit of a headache.

I'm not a huge fan of florals or fruits, but this is a very, very nice one. As other people have said, very well blended. I don't think I'll get a bottle of this, but I think I'll enjoy having a diluted imp around for days I feel like something a bit sweeter than my usual.

As a side note, it's perfectly named - very much how I would picture Titania smelling.

Overall, a 3/5 for me.

Wet: Sweet orange and some white flowers. Fresh.

Dry: Yeah this is delicious!!! The juicy fresh orange melds perfectly with the flowers, creating a ripe heady, fresh fragrance. Very sexy. Smells a lot like Akuma, to me, but sweeter and the floral richer and more noticeable. A keeper.

In the bottle: Juicy, sweet fruits and florals, almost bubblegum-y in fact.

On my skin: My skin is eating this one up. It's now just a very faint juicy fruits and florals.

Later on: Nothing.

Titania is a gorgeous chilly scent: like a sudden frost in an orchard laiden with ripe frui. It's beautiful, clean, and pale white by my reckoning: suitable fragrance for a faerie queen if ever there was one. The fruits come out ahead in this, but the florals keep it very balanced. I want to douse this on a particular lady, take her to bed, and worship her.

Barring that, it's not exactly something I would wear. I think this is too light, sweet, and effeminate for most men to pull off. However, I am ever one to encourage the expansion of gender roles, so feel free to experiment with this one. It's a beautiful scent and you may be surprised.

Titania Haiku,

"What about Sarah?"

"No," Mark took both his hands, "you

Play Titania."*

*Apologies to the Dead Alewives.