Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Ace of Pentacles

Clean, it smells like wet crystal, if it makes any sense.

I pick a touch of moss and something bitter at the very end.

Strong and different.

In the bottle, I actually smell more vetiver than anything. Wet, though...OK, call me crazy, but this smells like a bonfire! Just like it, I swear. Despite the fact that this is supposed to be an earthy oil, this is the perfect bonfire scent that I've been looking for. I smell a lot of the wood, and on the drydown the oakmoss comes out quite a bit. The honeysuckle is there to keep it from being totally bitter, but it's the darkest honeysuckle scent I've ever smelled.

I'm trying this out in the Tarot circle, and I have to say, this is a Holy Grail for me and I'm so sorry I can't keep it. This is going on the top of my wishlist, for sure.

Wet - a sharp, sinus-clearing blast of eucalyptus announces it's presence and then immediately fades away, to let the other notes take prominence. Next up, cat pee, err..black pine.

Dry - I can really see the association between this and the Pentacles suit. This is very earthy, the pine has taken a back seat to the patchouli and earth tones. This is quite lovely now and I can now totally see wearing this when meditating about any of the Pentacles.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

Edited by wickedgoddess

Ace of Pentacles

In the imp: almonds, with a deep earthy note? With a bit of moss?

Wet on skin: wait a minute, it's trees I smell here. Pine, actually. Yup, this is strong pine with light almond and something deep and dirty-and I mean dirty as in soil and earth, not unclean dirt.

Dry on skin: pine pine pine! Lots of strong piercing pine here with moss in the background. there's also a dirty note that makes me think of dark forest earth…not sure what it is though, maybe patchouli or vetiver? It's very earthy, this fragrance.

After a while: now this fragrance smells of pine, moss and earth, and makes me think of the roots of a great pine tree in a mysterious forest. You can smell the sap, the moss on its bark, and the soil around it. It's deep and shadowy with only a few spots of light filtering through it's dark green needles.

Verdict: this is one of the earthiest scents I've tried-not surprising since the pentacles are related to earth anyway. This is a vivid scent experience-it brings to mind strong visuals of trees, forests, deep soil. It has pine, moss and something that brings to mind rich dark loam, roots, bark…I'm not sure if I'd wear it as perfume, it seems more of a ritual oil-I think it would be great for meditation as it has a grounding, relaxing effect.

I actually rather like Ace of Pentacles. Maybe not enough to buy a full bottle, but I definitely will cherish my decant.

When I was little my family lived in the middle of a pine forest in Missouri. My parents planted flower gardens all along the edge of the woodline, so that you'd have to walk through the flowers to get into the forest. This is what that smells like to me.

First on it is earth and sweet florals. The floral isn't bothering me, the dirt smell and floral are balancing each other out so nicely. In the drydown I *really* like this though. The patchouli, pine, and moss scents really come out and this becomes a spicy forest scent. It gets a bit powdery after an hour or so and fades quickly after that, but it is still pleasant while it lasts.

Thankfully, no almond ever made its presence known for me. Almond smells like boozy cherries on me. This is a nice earthy blend.

In bottle: Dirty earwax? Definitely dirt. A watery sweetness - like strained cherries. It might be almonds; I often confuse the two. Also there's the sharpness of pine.

On me: Sharp pine wood, it's a very warm dirty-yellow fragrance. It smells like wood planks that have been sitting out in the sun for a long time, covered in a layer of dust.

This is like earth if someone spilled sauerkraut on it.

Seriously, I smell lovely green earthiness with vinegar cabbage on top.

Oh, is that cinnamon? Boy wow I must have some weird body chemistry.

Cinnamon plus sauerkraut.

What....a strange result I get from this.

Oh, this is VERY interesting. Its earthy, but sweet at the same time

I'm getting pine, patchouli, and honeysuckle. Its sharp and woody, but very sweet at the same time. I'm definately getting a bit of almond in there.

I smells like you dropped your candy in the dirt.

I LOVE dirt and earth scents, so I'm really liking this.

Oakmoss, Patchouli, and definitly soft and earthy. This gets a little lighter on me than it was in the vile. Not something I'd use for perfume, but pleasant, soothing and very grounding (pardon the pun)

Before I read the description, I thought I smelled spruce, cedar, myrrh, vetiver, and the wonderful "wet dirt" note. Now I'm not sure about the myrrh or vetiver. The drydown was somewhat perfumy on me, and I think I might have been smelling the honeysuckle note. (My skin doesn't usually treat florals like that kindly.)

Something in this really tickled/irritated my nose, so I don't think I will use it for meditation or perfume.

[Reviewed as part of tarot swap.]

I'm reviewing this for the tarot sniffing circle, but I did have a bottle of this that I swapped for, then traded away. I kept an imp for ritual use, but as a scent, it is definately not for me.

Opening the imp I get the blast of beets...which is how all earthy scents smell to me. Like beets. Which I am very opposed to. there is something piney in there too.

It is very evocative of the card, the root powers of the earth. Dirt overturned in a pine forest. Just not anything I want to smell like.

I can smell dirt in this (maybe oakmoss?), which seems appropriate. There’s also a musky odor to it, it smells a bit animalistic. It’s actually not a bad scent, even though it’s not something I’d wear as a perfume. I kind of like it. It smells musty, kind of like a basement.

Very medicinal in the bottle, once on there is a camphorous smell with something citrusy as well.... Wet, the citrus note really isn't there now and has been replaced by a dry red wood like cedar. It's at once spicy and earthy, makes my nose itch. Dry, red wood and patchouli with a dollop of something green... olive leaf I think. Interesting~ Once warm, the green goes away. I have cedar, spruce, and patchouli slathered on my wrist. No. Thank. You.

Edited by Elri

An astrigent dustiness, acrid. There is an herbal green behind it, it's very odd, the interaction between these notes and my nose. I sniff and it burns the back of my throat - pine sharp like the needles, not the resin. Earthy, And how.

Ace of Pentacles - I was at work and I opened the imp just the tiniest bit and a wave of powerfully strong eucalyptus washed through my entire office. I quickly closed the imp lid just as someone came into my office, but the scent was so powerful, she thought I was sucking on a cough drop. Once I applied the oil to my skin, the eucalyptus blasted out of the imp again. As soon as the oil touched my skin, the eucalyptus backed off and the dominant notes became the scent of soil and patchouli. The eucalyptus is still there, feeling cool on my sinuses as I breath it in, but overall, this is an incredibly earthy and woodsy scent. It doesn't suit my taste when it comes to personal fragrance, but it is an interesting scent that I'm certain the more woodsy/earthy types would enjoy immensely. The wear length is about average and the throw is initially above-average, but after dry-down, it sticks surprisingly close to the skin.

Not sure I like this -- it's a dry, woody scent, with that particular kind of "off" note to it that some woody scents have on me (notably, the ones in Intrigue, the Hesperides and Samhain, plus a few others I can't think of right now).

I would have expected the beginning of all that is earth to be -- well, earthier. More lush, with maybe some fruity elements for abundance and prosperity. Instead, it's just sort of dry and woody and slightly herbal, and just... there. Not terribly interesting.

As it dries fown further it gets a bit better -- there's a warm base note that comes out, vetiver I think. At that stage I like it more, but it's not really much different from any number of other vetiver-based scents I have.

Grade: C

mmm... this is freshly turned earth in someone's sunny garden.

on my skin, something funky comes into the background, so I will pass this decant along, but in the imp it's warm and, well, earthy.

I smelled this at the Madison Meet & Sniff last night and was enchanted. It smells like rich, wet soil and evergreens. I wore it to bed and the slight sharpness of the evergreens dried down to a soft-but-not-soapy balsam smell. There's definitely oakmoss in here. I don't know what the other notes are. It's very well-blended and natural-smelling. It's like being in the cool shade of a healthy forest. I find it refreshing and comforting. Well done!

Dirt and pine needles. Erm... definitely not what I want to be smelling like, but if that's your wish then hey, go for it, this scent is for you!

Picked up a frimp of this at the Atlanta Meet n' Sniff.

I smell patchouli and spruce, which must be the black pine. As it dries the honeysuckle comes out, which to me is an add combination. Like smelling a flower while walking in a dark forest - so I guess it could happen.

I think I would use this when I needed to feel grounded, but not so much as a perfume.

This is the first Tarot scent that's come my way.....I haven't used my cards in ages, so have not ordered any of the oils for ritual use. However, this came my way as a lab giftie, and WOW. Impressed.

In the imp: Yup.....dirt. All the descriptions of loamy forest floors are absolutely bang on. But it's not an overpowering scent, and I find it extremely pleasant.

Wet: Here comes the pine resin, and throughout the drydown, I get a series of VERY evocative scent-memories. Most strongly, I am reminded of a picnic spot near Avalanche Lake in Glacier Park that is a yearly pilgrimage for my husband, my daughter and me. Cool, secluded pine forest, all the spicy scents of the earth coming through in the warmth of the July sun WAY overhead and almost hidden. This is a "summer warmth" memory, though being a native Texan, (my spouse is the native Montanan....) it always seems cool and soothing to me.

Dry: I love this scent, and it seems very appropriate to the energy of the card that it's associated with. However, on final drydown it seems a bit masculine for my everyday wear tastes. I would love to smell it on my guy, but not effing likely as he is not the scented sort (dammit!! Obviously, however he has many other fine qualities.....:P )

What I may end up doing with my imp is annointing a wooden Yule ornament or two for the holidays with this lovely blend.

This is a very earthy scent. Dirt, pine, pretty much what everyone else is saying. It's completely not the kind of thing I would pick out to try but I got it as a frimp. I'm really surprised by how comforting it feels. It makes me feel very mellow and content. As I said, earthy scents are not my thing but if I was to pick one, this would be it!

My first reaction is that this is an earth-attuned Jabberwocky -- I tend to get more of the "bouyant" than the "earthy" in Jabberwocky's description. There's pine, eucalyptus, and lots of earthy mosses and vetiver and such things. It's a beautiful grounding and focusing scent, and is finally a pine that doesn't go all artificial-air-freshener on me. The only complaint I have about it is that it only lasts about an hour on me. But I got the imp in a swap, so maybe it's a young one and will strengthen with age. I may need to get a bottle to wear for study when I start grad school this summer!

From the bottle; Strong, eucalyptus hitting me in the nose.

On my skin; Still eucalyptusy(?) Then suddenly, it fades back, and it is soil. Not Funeral soil (thank GOD!), but like a walk in the mountains soil, kind of dampish, loamy, and old wood. I smell just a hint of the patchouli, and a good pine, not a room spray pine.

I don't do tarot, so all I can say is that this smells good, either for a home scent, or a "wish I was in the hills hiking" comfort smell.

Nice, and unexpected. :P