Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A deceptively sweet orchid vanille with a faint trace of stephanotis.

Happy vanilla with a pleasant floral. Trade bag.

Really lovely! The vanilla is not overly foody, just sweet and warm and beautiful. The florals are barely-there, which for me is a good thing, and they add a lightness to the scent. This might be a good scent for those who like the vanilla of Snake Oil but find SO's other components to be 'too much'. Certainly every vanilla-lover should try this, stat. It's so not me, yet... here I am, not tossing it into the swap pile yet... hm...

Overall: calming, warm, and pretty.

a sweet, dusty floral that turned sweet, powdery floral on the skin. it really is a very baby powder kind of scent! even the fella remarked, once i'd tried it on and sat next to him on the sofa, "what smells like baby powder?" :P

there's a sweet floral that remains in there as well, and all in all it is a beautiful perfume. however, i've quite a few other bpal scents that are similar, so i think i'll be ushering this one off to a new home. :smile:

ooh. this is very sweet, bright, almost honey-like (reminds me of a vanilla mead moon in a way). gentle and graceful enough to be cordelia's fragrance, in my opinion.

Being a vanilla addict, I've been dying to try this one for awhile, and I have to say, I really like this scent!

Going on my skin, Regan is a soft, soapy floral. There is a hint of greenness to it that reminds me of Shadow Witch Orchid and Slippery Poppy Tincture. As it dried on my skin, it morphed into a delicate floral with a hint of vanilla to soften the edges. The vanilla isn't foody at all, but rather sweet. The throw is decent, and it lasts for a surprisingly long time for such a soft scent.

Overall, a delicate, pastel purple scent that is just lovely. :wub2:

Oh this is very pretty. This is a soft honeyed blossom orchid. Orchids do well on me, because I think it's more of a trophical flower then more of the traditional blooms. The Stepthanosis is giving it it's spicy edge, and it's very very beautiful. I can't stop putting my nose to this, and just inhaling this deeply. It's just that good. On my skin, the florals are getting lighter as it dries, with a faint ozone element to it. It's like a sunny Snow white if it makes any sense. Absolutely beautiful. The scent sticks close though, throw is minimal and tends to be soaked up quickly by my skin. 5 minutes it is gone.

A very simple, sugared floral at first, then after a while the vanilla takes over and starts morphing into burnt plastic. I'm starting to think my skin isn't too fond of some of some vanilla blends. Too bad, it's really pretty in the imp.

I love orchids and didn't mind my frimp of Shadow Witch Orchid, so decided to give this a try.

In the imp, I didn't like it at all. Very sharp floral.

On, it did have a backdrop of vanilla, but it was so heady and overwhelmingly floral that the vanilla just added a sickeningly sweet component to an already too-much blend.

This is just the type of scent that triggers headaches in me. I can see how it would be pretty on someone else, but it won't work for me, unfortunately.

Frimp from the lab.. thanks!

This is a very floaty head in the clouds summertime scent for me. I'll also be reserving it for those rare grouchy winter days (can't be too at odds with cold weather if you choose to live in Maine..hahaha)

has a purity/innocence about it. Like Alice had a sister from Hawaii. the orchid vanille is light and soft. I don't remember what stephanotis smells like but I remember buying it for people when they were in a bad mood! Sure it's adding a fresher floral essence to this. Not bad!

Edited by SophieCedar

Ever since I got into BPAL five years ago I had been meaning to try Regan, so with the price increase looming, I bit the bullet and got an imp. I should have done it five years ago- Regan is wonderful. First the orchid shows up, and it's such a cool note, it's really refreshing. It's sort of like sliding cool flower petals across overheated skin. I did wonder where the vanilla was, and as it dried, the vanilla popped up. The orchid and vanilla twined together to create a very cool vanilla. I have warm vanillas, foody vanillas, I've tried the mineral vanilla of Black Opal, I love them all, but this was really really pretty. As the oil continued to dry, I'd take one breath and smell just orchid, another and smell the vanilla, a third and smell them together. Sometimes I thought I smelled stephanotis- I wasn't previously familiar with either orchid or stephanotis, but there was a faint other floral. Once or twice my mind played a trick on me and I thought I smelled cherry, but I love cherry and vanilla together, so I'm guessing nobody else would smell it. Sometimes I'd get a little annoyed because I'd smell hoping for the orchid + vanilla together and only smell the vanilla, or want orchid and smell both, or want vanilla and smell orchid, but actually I sort of like that about this blend. It's so changing. A lot of times, once the oil settles it's that way for the duration of the oil's life on my skin. But Regan is a tricksy, tricksy oil. I may have to pick myself up a bottle, yes indeed.

Honeyed cream and skin musk with a hint of vanilla. There's a light green floral lurking in the background somewhere that keeps it from being too cloying. This is what I expected SO to smell like.

I tried this early on in my Bpal days, before I had branched out into anything that wasn't screaming VANILLA, and found it uninteresting. A year later, I've changed my mind. Regan is very feminine and very pretty. When it's wet on the skin it is a very soft, sweet vanilla floral. My skin amps the flowers, so once it's dry I get a lot of floral and a teeny bit of the vanilla, but the vanilla tries to push through. It really smells like fresh orchids. I can see myself wearing this when I want something soft and sophisticated- it's very ladylike, and almost a bit old-fashioned. I do wish that I got more of the vanilla, but that's my skin chemistry for ya.

ETA: I may need a bottle of this. The more it dries, it does sweeten a bit more.

Edited by VioletFemme

In the imp, I smell a more generic sweetness thanks to the vanilla, but as I apply Regan to my skin, I am immediately welcomed by the orchid and stephanotis. The orchid is definitely the strongest note, but as Regan starts to dry on my skin, the vanilla slowly creeps up and sweetens things up once again. As time goes on, the florals slightly fade away and I am left with mostly a cold vanilla. While Regan isn't in your face, it seems to have relatively good staying power. It really is beautiful!

I was hoping that Regan would be a glorious explosion of fresh, moist orchid strengthened by vanilla. Initially, this is indeed the case and it's perfect. But as the oil dries, the vanilla steadily becomes stronger, sweeter, and more cloying and powdery, eventually completely overwhelming the orchid. :( BPAL vanilla is a monster on me. I should have known and gotten an imp instead of a bottle, but I was so sure it would work...!

Sniffed: Gentle, vanillary sweetness is overshadowed by a dark note that smells of decay and bitterness.

On skin: I initially smell the gentle, creamy sweetness of orchid vanille, but then it's overshadowed by clear, bold and unfriendly florals so bitter that I wonder if there are also herbal notes here. Regan is overall a corrupted dark floral, a blend jangling between sweetness and bitterness. There's a sick note in here that reminds me of decay and is a bit nauseating.

Verdict: In a word: discordant. Regan is a sinister blend and makes no apologies for it; whatever good or sweetness in her is ultimately corrupted and darkened. No, I don't like her at all and won't keep her around.

Hrmm. I read 4 pages of reviews, and wow, my experience is very different from everyone else's. Maybe I got a dud imp...?

Oooorchiiid. Mmm. The vanilla takes a few moments to appear, and then it's there, anchoring the orchid, rounding out the scent. This is soft and creamy, the warmth of the vanilla balancing the cooler flower. Not sure if I'm getting any of the stephanotis, as I'm not too familiar with that note. Very nice, but one of those scents I'm don't know if I'm capable of wearing. Time will tell.

Orchid is my enemy...vanilla orchid is my friend...but here with the stephanotis..this is my enemy yet again. This smells like play-dough with the barest hints of vanilla/coconut. Must. Wash. Off. Now.

In imp: creamy dusty floral. Apparently stephanotis is a kind of jasmine; but it blends very well with the orchid that I'm never too sure what I'm smelling.

Wet on skin: wow, this is...very promising! Creamy, slightly dark-sweet florals. The vanilla is definitely out and recognizable as itself now: a sweet, gentle vanilla. I'm liking this a lot! It's so nice! Very promising! ...OH NOOOOOoooo...

Dry: amazing. This is an amazing scent. The slightly dusty, powdery note is back--I seem to be getting a little of that in blends with jasmine--but it's very pretty and it seems just right. Creamy floral vanilla, a more feminine Dorian without the lemony undertone. It's quiet, elegant in a "shy" sort of way, for lack of a better term. It's lovely.

Verdict: unexpected, I'm almost a little sad I love it! Now, how to procure a bottle...sigh.

A sweet, beautiful floral that avoids everything I usually dislike about floral blends. Fresh and perfect. A keeper!

mm wet, it comes across as faintly woody with a slight hint of cherry o_o...not quite sure where that is coming from. After about 5 minutes, it then settles down into a creamy honeyed scent with the faintest breath of florals. Very nice.

Imp: Lush green florals, of the kind that will almost certainly go powdery on me. They're lovely and sophisticated here, though!

Wet: Oh! A strong, sweet, slightly aquatic floral that smells almost exactly like fabric softener while also smelling about 1000x better. I think the combo of light wafty vanilla and orchid creates an almost linen-y note. It's in the Black Opal-Zephyr family for sure. Didn't expect to like it so much-- although it is very strong!

Dry: Sandalwood, vanilla, and orchid. Yum, yum, yum. This is sexy, virginal and "clean" all at once, although it's so bloody overwhelmingly strong that I'm going to have to be careful with it. I really, really didn't think I'd like this, but it smells like HOT HOT HOT dryer sheets and man, who could resist? :lol: