Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A deceptively sweet orchid vanille with a faint trace of stephanotis.

in the imp: sweet, milky and lightly floral. lovely! :P

wet on skin: reminds me of Eden a bit, but much, much lighter.

dry down: it's like a combination of Eden and Dragon's Milk, without the fig or the Dragon's Blood. it's really really yummy.

in all: condensed milk!

:D

Regan came to me as a frimp, but it's been hanging out on my "To get, someday soon" list so I was quite thrilled when it was in my latest order.

Wet, this is a sweet floral. Almost too sweet right at first, then the floral amps out, but always with some sweet vanilla behind it to keep it from going overboard. After an hour or so, this tones right down into a soft, sweet, femine scent. The vanilla isn't so much a foody vanilla as the sort of vanilla that you get in a "lavendar/vanilla" fabric softener (incidentally, my favorite type ever!). It's evenly balanced with the orchid and stephanotis to provide a long-lasting, delightfully sweet and soft result. I like this one a lot, and I think Regan will be a bottle in my near future!

In the bottle warm, spicy vanilla, the type you get out of a good vanilla tea once you've coaxed it out with a bit of honey, and the barest suggestion of stephanotis

Wet this is very light, but the initial impression remains. The orchid is there, but fades as it dries.

Dry this is vanilla tea with milk and honey. The other flowers are well blended, and it is distinctly floral, but ultimately this is almost a foody scent on me.

In the imp, this smells buttery and rich, almost reminiscent of Obatala, which I LOVE.

On me, it turns into burnt marshmallow and vanilla. :P :D :D

If you want to smell like a sweet sugar factory, this is for you. It gave me a stomach ache.

Imp: Well that smells plesant enough, slightly churchy, but not too much so

Wet: Oh! I smell like a lush store! Which makes sense, since there is an orchid/vanilla bath thing, I think. do i want to smell like a Lush store?

Dry: Yeah i do. I definitely could like smelling like a /lush store. This a very comforting scent and is worth a full trial instead of the itty bitty dot on the hand.

In the bottle: Spicy vanilla. Reminds me of a floral version of Snake Oil. Definitely not what my first imp of this smelled like. The imp had barely any spice to it, and I preferred that. I'm not a big fan of Snake Oil. :P

Wet: The vanilla is prominent, but it's turning into an antique lace vanilla. A bit pasticy on me. Initially, from my imp, It smelled like clean vanilla, white flowers. But now I think the spices are interfering and the vanilla is going bad on me.

Dry: Better. Much better. The spice settles down and this turns into a nice, feminine floral with a big punch of vanilla. Still plasticy, but it's not bothering me as much.

Overall: I seem to have the worst luck transitioning from imp to bottle. The imps always smell drastically different than the bottles do for me. This scent is no exception. I loved the imp. I like the bottle. I'll wear it for a change, but it won't be the first scent I'll grab.

Wow! I really Like this one! It makes me think of a 1930s 20-something socialite girl in a pastel pink dress going out for a picnic in the park. The vanilla is warm like the afternoon sun, the orchid is sweet and demeure like our little girl, and the stephanotis is the gentle breeze blowing through the park promising a beautiful day for our young lady.

In the bottle it is warm and spicy vanilla with a hint of floral.

On my skin, the orchid and stephanotis dance beautifully on clouds of vanilla.

Fabulous combination of scents. I'm really going to have to get a full bottle of this at some point. :P

Edited by Sapphiremo0n

i admit, it took me a long time to try this general catalog scent. it never really stood out as something i absolutely had to try. how silly i was!

it smells like baby! like sweet, idealized baby scent. baby powder and cream and the sweetness of their breath.

i also find a strong likeness to antique lace, only this is a tiny bit heavier on the florals.

which isn't to say this is a heavy floral blend. i adore orchid, but it's really light here. the sweet, creamy vanilla is the main event.

dreamy and gorgeous. this would be so charming for a little girl to wear as her first perfume. think i need a bottle.

Comforting is the first word that popped into my head when I put this on. Regan was warm and inviting. Not overly floral (which is excellent because florals and I don't get along so well). This was just slightly sweet thanks to the vanilla, but not overly so as I find some blends containing it to be. The entire vibe was soft and warm. Pretty, but not overly girly. She stuck around for awhile too.

In the imp: the orchid is just gorgeous, but there is a cloyingly sweet high-pitched note in there, too, that is making my front teeth hurt when I smell it. I have my doubts here...

On the skin: Oh yummers! The cloying note has developed into a fresh vanilla stick smell, deep and sweet and sultry. The orchid still smells magnifiscent, mingling with the other soft floral notes.

This just gets deeper and more voluptuous as it dries, though it does still threaten to get just a touch too sweet for my tastes. Still, I'm sure I'll like to wear this blend in a dress and a cardigan once spring rolls around!

Is this the place where I admit that I, shamefully, have not actually read or seen King Lear, and that I had to look up the character Regan to figure out which play she's from? Uh. Lab frimp!

In the imp: Sweet vanilla with a powdery floral edge.

Wet on skin: Pretty much the same as in the vial - a sweet powdery vanilla with something indistinct but floral. It reminds me a bit of floral pastilles.

Drydown: Freshly dry, the vanilla in this is starting to get an edge that's almost mineral now, alongside the floral. It's reminding me a little bit of the vanilla Black Opal, if anything, though I would hesitate to say it actually smells like rocks all on its own. It's pretty much the same at the one hour mark, though I realize that the vanilla of Black Opal is only reminding me of rocks, and it's really only dusty flowers with the vanilla in Regan.

Five hours later: Vanilla-ish flower-ish powder.

End of the day: Faint florally powder.

Overall: If my initial thought of "mineral" had held through, I would be pretty darn excited about this one. I mean, flowers growing among the rocks! Alas, that it was not. The flowers by themselves were not much to my taste, and the vanilla went surprisingly powdery, considering other BPAL vanillas have not done that on me, which is not a winning combination. I shall be swapping this, though I shall also be reading the play. Oops!

I tried Regan first a couple of months ago, and liked it. Today I tried it again, and it was a yummy, sweet floral... but unfortunately faded after about 3 hours. I even had someone else check, thinking maybe it was me, that I just couldnt smell it anymore... but no, it was gone :cry2:

Sweeeet, sweet vanilla-floral. Goes kind of plastic-powdery on my skin after a little while, but is somewhat combatable with blending.

There's something oddly appealing to me about the weird plasticy-sweet direction this heads, so I've kept Regan around. I like her best when she's accompanying another scent on my skin, but she's got a weird charm of her own.

Regan is a very warm, thick golden vanilla. I get the orchids and what must be the stephanotis, as well as a slightly powdery undertone, but combined with the vanilla I feel like its so sweet and cloistering that it's making me nauseous. A very sweet, warm scent, but just not for me.

edit: After dry down, this scent lightens up a bit and becomes a much lighter floral similar to Rosalind, but much less green and still very warm. Nicer, but still not a favorite.

Edited by delighted

I was kind of expecting flowers and vanilla I guess but what I get is something that smells confusing to my nose.

It took me a while to work out what it is that it reminded me of. Toothpaste. Not the minty kind but like a sweet trying to be vanilla but not really vanilla toothpaste.

3/5 It wasn't unpleasant but I just found it weird because it really kept reminding me of toothpaste everytime I smelt it.

In the vial: Sweet creamy vanilla with a powerdy floral. It reminds me of something, but I'm not sure what—oh wait, I know! The bathroom my aged babysitter's house from my childhood. She was like a great-aunt to me, and her bathroom had a pink furry toilet seat cover and lots of doilies: pretty, sweet, feminine, but a little dowdy and stuffy.

On me: The floral blooms, becoming less powdery, a bit more fleshy and airy, and a touch cloying. It has orchid's depth and shadow, but it is much sweeter than I usually expect from orchid. The vanilla too is sweet, but now it feels powdery and pale, not unlike baby powder. The combination of the two unfortunately has a lingering feel of old lady's bathroom: sweet, floral, a touch dowdy; it has the sort of texture of colored soap which has sat in the soap dish so long that it's dry and a dusty: powder over something firm and slightly waxy. Scent-color is opaque creamy red-violet. Throw is moderate.

Verdict: I may have to retest this later with a drop rather than a swipe, because I suspect Regan would be better as a subtle hint of scent. When it's obvious, it feels too old lady to me. I had expected that orchid and vanilla would be lovely together, a rare floral I can wear, lightened and sweetened. But the orchid is too dark and the vanilla too sweet, and it's all more cloying-floral than I expect from orchid. All in all I am unimpressed and unless a second test is dramatically different, I'll trade away my imp.

This smells GREAT in the imp. Almost like cookies, or lattes. On skin this transforms immediately into a VERY similar scent to the cloying sickening sweet of honeyed O. Up close it is just thick and ugly-sweet. From a distance it's, well… What I thought would be great, is falling short. Alas, alack. Though as it is drying the floral is coming out more which is making this a muuuch more complex and satisfying scent. OK, by drydown this is nice enough to wear again. Keep for a bit.

Edited to add: DEFINITELY try again. This is good. Real good. Best floral yet?

Edited by liquidtrance

A sweet, creamy vanilla floral. Extremely soft with what appears to be traces of honey and fig in the background. The comparisons to Eden are bang on, while I like Regan a lot more. It feels powdry, lighter and more floral. Definitely a keeper.

Imp: Sweet florals.

Wet: Sweet orchid. The stephanotis is adding some depth.

Drydown: The sweetness has mellowed. It's a very summery floral. Smells like vacation.

Overall: I like this a lot. It's very light and doesn't have much throw. It's sweet and powdery. It's not heady at all. :wub2:

I want to love Regan, I really do, but on me it's a take-it-or-leave-it scent. To me it smells like a generic wedding bouquet: Floral and pretty, but unremarkable. Which is sad, because the notes *should* be beautiful on me! :(