Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Szepasszony

A chilly, tempestuous whirlwind of clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers.

Szepasszony (I love that name) is a beautiful perfume in the imp: clean and bright and light with a hint of florals.

On me, one floral amps a little too much ... it smells a little like gardenia, maybe? Except not as heavy. I'm not sure what it is, but it's not BAD in the least, just stronger than anything else. The clean aquatic scent becomes background to it.

I'm not sure if I would wear it enough to buy a bottle, as I'm not a floral girl, but it is very pretty, and I imagine it would be a lovely scent to wear when spring is peeking around the corner.

eta: I accidentally tested this again, a few years later, and I have to say it is thisclose to a BPAL version of Clinique Happy. Edited by karen

First of all, I LOVE the story behind this one. I love how often BPAL drives me to Wikipedia or Google to look something up. :P

First impression:

Citrus-y, like lemons with some florals boosting it up. Sweet, but with a sharp tartness.

On drydown, I can really smell those rainy aquatics. I must say, this one dries down in a really lovely way. Usually, I can't stomach those ozone/rain notes. A lot of them just go very false on my skin. This one doesn't. It does smell like sunshine through the clouds, glinting menacingly off the puddles below. (The Szepasszony will get you!)

I could see adding this to a room spray -- it has energizing potential! But it isn't something I would wear often.

I love "clean" scents, but I can't really wear them. Dirty, Lightning and Embalming Fluid are the exceptions.

The ozone in this isn't anywhere as strong as Lightning and it's more of a watery ozone, like the atmosphere right before it starts showering - a light spring shower that passes after a few minutes for rays of sunlight. There's definitely something yellow and bright under the aquatics.

It has energy, like others have said. Slightly citrusy and very pure.

Initial Impressions: Increadibly sweet. Like honeysuckle nectar and cane sugar.

On the Skin: Mellows to impressions of mellon, and lush, wet, tropical nectar.

Dry: Spicy mellon and something like water lily. A very wet, lush, feminine scent.

Mature: A slightly more peppery scent (something in a thistle or dandilion) comes forward in the watery fragrance.

Several hours later: Mellowed to a mild, gentle, fragrance of flowers like the calm after a storm.

Over all: Exactly what it says it is. And a lovely scent. Initially I did not like it, but I definately do now.

Buyability: Not something I'd wear all that often (that is reserved for Thanatopsis), but I think it is most definately worth it for those who apreciate a more feminine scent.

Bottle: sweet and floral, though there is a background that reminds me of permanent markers.

Self wet: light scent, can barely smell even with a bit on. Sweet and just a tad soapy. I can see how this is an aquatic, but does not make me think of the outside kind.

Drying: it fades really fast, like super fast and then is too light for me (I like throw on my scents, not overpowering but at least a little bit of push). Budd (the hubby) says he likes it but agrees it smells like soap.

Late later: smells like expensive shampoo, too soapy for me. Plus its faded so I can only smell if I put my nose right up to wrist, no drifts of smell once in awhile as I move through house. Blech.

Overall: I don't dig thsi soapiness the aquatics keep going on me. I am gonna have to look elsewhere to find one that stays pretty.

When I first put this on, the impression I got was wet flowers, which quickly changed to a "wet" scent, with flowers - I think what I interpreted as "wet" at this stage was an ozone note. As it dried, that ozone note amped up incredibly... Although it incited great nostalgic feelings of home and evening rainstorms in June, it is definitely not a scent I would wear.. Oh well... better for my budget since there are lots of other I want! :P

I've had this Imp for a while now, but never got 'round to testing it. It's been so long since I've done a review, I'm afraid I won't be able to do Szepasszony (how do you say that, anyway?) justice!

In the Imp: Ozone, touches of lemon, white florals, cleanliness and maybe a little musk. Smells like Embalming Fluid and Dirty and Lightning had a threesome and this is the lovechild. Very pleasant, very jangly, very femme.

Wet: Soap. Soapy soap soap. Soap with a gorgeous, sweet floral (honeysuckle?) underneath it, but soap. Does this have rose in it? Strong, and the hints of sweet fruit (I think someone said melon and I can totally see that) and ozone I get are nice, but mostly it makes me want to sneeze. Let's see about the drydown.

Dry: This has a really nice throw. It's present and noticeable but not overpowering. I like the melon, and the florals are calming down, letting everything else emerge. I think there might be some lotus in here too. Oddly enough, the drydown of this has that same buttery-sweet-smooth note as the unreleased Nihil, but it's fainter and the florals are more white than golden. In fact, I can't help but wonder if Nihil eventually turned into this.

This would be lovely on the right woman, but the watery floral/fruit just isn't my thing, and probably never will be. That being said, this will be quite nice to sleep in tonight.

Wet: Citrus with some flowers in back

Dry: much mellower. It hangs on very well (over 12 hours which surprised me since it’s not a very strong scent.) It calms down into an interesting white floral that is very easy to wear

Summary: I like this one a lot definitely keeping the imp and it will go in the running for my white floral bottle

Love the name. Very fresh, very aquatic-y, and like all aquatics, very headache-inducing. I wish I liked them better! The florals are very faint on me. This reminds me a bit of Dirty and Sea of Glass.

This is also one of my favorites. It mellows out fairly quickly on my skin, so I need to apply more than I usually do with other scents. It smells very clean, sweet, watery, and crisp; something perfect for the summer.

What a strange animal this is -- it's light, but there's something insanely wild about it; I can almost taste this in the back of my throat if I inhale deeply enough.

Very deceptive; the notes all seem light enough (there's rain in there, and a touch of those flowers as well) and yet I would say this is by far the most demonic of the Diabolus blends I've tried.

*stares out the window expectantly, waiting for storm clouds to come rolling in*

Beautiful, white flowers and a clean pure aquatic note. Wet I definitely get some citrus, but that fades pretty quick. I've found that some aquatics work with me and other don't. This one really works!

Fresh, clean, almost sweet aquatic with a dash of citrus. I don't get much floral out of this - if there is any, it's blended so well I hardly notice it. It is VERY reminiscent of Shattered, for some reason; I think I need to sniff-test and see the difference, but I think Shattered is a bit colder.

Imp: Whoa, this smells really powerfully sweet!

Wet: Mmmm.....sweeeeet aquatic, with an edge of citrus.

Drydown: No no no, where are you going? You packed such a punch wet!

Dry: Minimal hint of the sweet aquatic that made my heart skip a beat when I popped that cap off the imp. DAMN IT.

My rating: 5/5 for the scent by itself, 2/5 on my skin simply because it FADES. Keeping this imp, though. If I ever get a scent locket, this is another one I'm wearing in it. This is delicious.

In the imp: True lemony citrusy smell. Bitter & sweet at the same time.

Wet on skin: Still smell lemon but can now smell the airy and aquatic notes underneath

Dry: This is very subtle & light but somehow this just does turn into a lemony bathroom cleaner on me :P . Light scents are very rarely my cup of tea even if they do work on me so unfortunately I don't think I'll be using up my imp.

Edited by Mixxi

In the bottle: Very fresh and green, with a faint background spiciness.

Wet: Very light and green, almost coriander-ish in the background. Surprisingly long throw for such a light smell.

Later: Green and herbal; the coriander-like scent has become stronger. Very nice, but I don't know if it is a bottle purchase – 7/10.

This is just divine in the imp. Fresh, watery and lovely.

The ozone in this is light. Wet on the skin, there's a beautiful citrus lift to this, with a slight peppery note. It's refreshing and very evocative of summer rain.

As it dries, the white flowers peek out. Thankfully they don't seem to amp on me, and the rain notes hold onto the foreground. That peppery note also comes back after vanishing briefly. It's all damp flowers in sunny rain, very pretty and a white floral that I can like.

I don't really love it though. I adored the wet phase, but the florals, subdued though they are, still aren't my cup of tea. White florals just don't appeal to me, even when they're in amongst these other notes that I love.

I may keep the imp, though.

When I first put this on it really reminded me of a fabric conditioner I have. And just like concentrated fabric conditioner in the bottle, it was really too strong to be nice. I was hoping it would fade and turn into a nice clean scent but it didn't go that way. The floral-ness started to disappear and I was left with a sort of cold ozone smell. It's hard to describe but if I put a colour to it, it would be a transparent blue with a hint of grey. It really was rather sharp and cold, no hint of any floral on me. Too harsh for my liking I'm afraid.

CHERRY!!!!!!! Wait, what is this supposed to be again? It's cherry with a few other things going on. Now it's cherry with sugar and spice. Now the spicy part, and it's now closer to the description. Not so good.

I've become a huge fan of most of Beth's aquatics, so I fully expected to love this.

Wet, it smells like cold rain, and not much else.

Dry on my skin, I smelled ozone, soap and some kind of familiar men's aftershave...maybe Polo? It seemed incredibly masculine. My husband disagrees, and says he smells soap and flowers. In any case, I can't get past the aftershave.

I'm so sad. I wanted to love this. I love the description and the idea. I hate my skin chemistry. :P

Immediate throw? Fresh stalk of celery, snapped under the the nose. Quite unique!

Then hints of herbs and spices (coriander? cardamom?) and a bit of sweetness (honeysuckle, perchance) drifting over a strong aquatic base.

Very fresh, very pretty. Maybe a bit too sweet for my tastes, but the husband likes it (which is promising, because it's a lot less fruity/candy-like than the scents he usually likes on me) so I'll keep the Imp at least.

Edit: After a few more applications, the sweetness is actually a little like maple syrup! So, fresh celery and maple syrup. And yet, still not too cloying, amazingly. Just rather like fresh sap drawn from the tree.

Edited by Angel Slurry

At first sniff, this one is true to it's description. It is indeed chilly, thin and slashing and high airy notes. I'm getting a little apple and lemon in this as well. A very clean seeming scent.

On it turns crazy sharp and a little fruity on me... Not too terribly thrilled with it...

It softens pretty nicely, with a scent of rain. Nice and pretty, but probably not for me.

imp: crisp and wet. very aquatic.

wet: kind of like crisp, herby fennel root. or celery.

dry: wet herbs. like at the supermarket after the little sprinklers have finished moistening the produce. unusual but quite nice.

this is just not my thing. very fresh and clean and watery- in fact i think i would like it a lot were it not for those damned "white flowers" which make it too sweet and flowery.