Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Szepasszony

... A chilly, tempestuous whirlwind of clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers.

This one is amazing. Another favorite of mine. It has a citrusy feel to it, not overpowering, and very airy and fresh. It does morph a little on the wrist and the citrus backs off and a floral smell steps forward. Still quite lovely though. A keeper!

I am trying Szepasszony and Shattered and Baobhan Sith at the same time, so I hardly know which is which, but Szepasszony is a very high clear floral. Someone once compared her to the sound of a flute; she does sound like that to me.

I think she is a keeper. To wear by herself on hot days, and to layer with the darker, spicier blends to add lightness and clarity to them.

In the imp: light, fresh marine-tinged ozone and florals.

On me, wet: mm, melonlike aquatics and rain, strong and fresh and clean.

On me, dry: a soft, persistent, cleansing rain in a park in the middle of a city.

Verdict: lovely, which I sort of expected because I am never going to be able to pronounce this name. I'm not sure it's a scent for wearing so much as an atmosphere-setter, but I'll keep it around.

At first this one goes on very sharp and very sweet. Not bad, but not particularly remarkable . . . And then, after about 30 minutes or so, the sharpness dies away. What's left is rain . . . Real rain on spring flowers. It's very faint, just a skin scent on me, but the likeness is just unbelievable.

Szepasszony - I am surprised at how bold this scent is in the vial but how subtle and soft it is on my skin. I wouldn’t expect a wicked witch to have such a light fragrance about her. The scent is aquatic, but without the salt note that many aquatics carry. It’s clear and fresh and definitely reminds me of warm summer rainstorms. I cannot identify any of the florals individually, but they blend to make a soft, sweet, delicate fragrance and combine beautifully with the water notes. I really love this, I just wish it weren’t so subtle. It’s not a scent I would wear for a night on the town, but I think it would be well-worn on romantic date or even just to the office because it’s subtle, feminine, and very pretty.

In the imp: This reminds me a lot of Tommy cologne. When I was much younger a boyfriend gave me an empty bottle of his Tommy cologne, I loved that smell. I used to sniff that bottle constantly. Then I lost the bottle and haven't smelled it for years. Now I have something like it, but better!

On the wrist, wet: This doesn't morph on me, it just gets a little bolder, but the scent stays the same.

On the wrist, dry: Quite the lasting power on me and still a steady scent that reminds me of Tommy cologne.

Final Analysis: Big bottle! Definitely a big bottle!

Imp: This is crisp and clean and something like... snow, actually. It's like the most pleasant-smelling laundry detergent I would totally used if it wasn't fragrance. I can't pick out notes in this too well with no help, but it's something ozoney.

Wet: It's like ozone and citrus and some crisp white flowers. Moon flowers?

Dry: Honestly clean and clear and like a babbling brook when the ice is melting in spring. Gorgeous!

Category: Crisp/Clean/White

Rating: 4/5; It's lovely and watery and works great on my skin

Overall: I would wear this again for sure. I wouldn't mind wearing this in winter and spring for those warmer cold days or stormy days. The imagery it evokes is perfect.

Imp: Sharp water notes.

Wet: Clear, sharp water with throw!

Dry: Softer, quieter, skin scent of clear blue mix of water and flowers. Lovely light floral + aquatic.

Verdict: Really nice, will probably keep the imp. Wish it lasted longer on my skin though, which keeps it from the bottle-worthy list.

When I first put this on my skin, it smelled subtly sweet. Maybe citrusy. After it dried down, it started smelling more watery and a little bit floral. Weird thing is, it started smelling a little bit like a men's cologne. I still liked it though. After a while, it became more floral but not in a cloying way. Still crisp and watery, but flowers too. I agree with some posters saying it smelled like rain. I love it. I'm undecided as to whether or not get a bottle, but I will definitely make my guy friend give this a try.

This is crisp, clean, and cool with a hint of citrus. It's a nicely subtle scent, very refreshing. To me, this fragrance is quite unisex, and it actually reminds me of my husband's Issey Miyake. It's not quite my style, but I think it's perfect for those who gravitate towards aquatics and ozone notes!

Szepasszony-

In Bottle: Very sweet and freesia-smelling.

Wet: Lemony-bright floral, sweet. Pretty! I expected something more aquatic from reviewers' descriptions. But this is very light and clean.

Dry: What a pretty scent! I stick by the lemon-freesia initial impression even though this isn't quite freesia, but it gives me that same impression; a sweet non-cloying citrusy light floral. It smells like the sorta thing they'd sell you in laundry detergent.

Overall: I really like!

In the imp: Another ozone and citrus scent, this time a fizzy fresh grapefruit tone with light crisp flowers behind.

On me, wet: Wow, big change. The clear grapefruit turned immediately into something greener, now evoking rainy bushes and flowers with a vaguely piny/camphorous note peeking out. Weird change, although not bad. Not earthy at all.

On me, dry: The grapefruit never came back, leaving just faint floral ozone. Rain on irises, say. It's pleasant, although not as interesting IMHO as Sea of Glass. The finish here is a purer floral than that one, so it's worth having both for different effects. I don't know whether this one is right for me, that's all.

A slightly grapefruity, grassy aquatic with the characteristically sweet, unrainlike scent of aquatics. (Rain and water just don't smell sweet to me.) It is light and pretty, and fades quickly.

Hm... a very clear aquatic. Fairly reminescent of Amsterdam but without as much sweetness and clarity. Still a very lovely white floral/aquatic scent... but I love my Amsterdam more. <3

SZEPASSZONY

In Bottle: Clean and ozone

On Skin: The ozone in this scent is quite different. It seems to be touched with a bit of citrus and also something sweet. Beautiful white florals, so clean and elegant. This scent just seems so graceful. As a matter of fact Princess Grace (someone I always greatly admired) comes to mind when I smell this. A ozone scent, complete with florals and a light fruit undertone. It is a womans scent for sure, full of beauty and grace. Very light, but an ozone scent I could actually see myself wearing. Most ozone and aquatic blends go very soapy on me. This one has so many more levels and keeps from being too sharp. It has a light to medium throw and average wearlength.

This smells like the scent in a nice scented soap. Very floral, white, and pretty. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. It might be a little, well, boring on me, but it definitely deserves another test.

This is a really beautiful, fresh white floral - very evocative of a clear puddle, tinged with grassy meadow flowers and a touch of light fruit. This is not something that I would wear regularly, but definitely a beauty.

In the bottle:

Reminds me of those rain/monsoon/whatever scented candles. In a pretty stereotypical way.

Wet:

Echo the above - even more so as the florals are coming out.

Dry down:

Ditto. Though, the florals are adding a slightly different dimension now. They make it just a little bit more perfumey. It's definitely changed a little bit from the bottle to dry... but not very much.

Final thoughts:

Maybe a little too "Thunderstorm" candle/incense for me to wear. Probably will end up passing this one along.

Fruity, lightly sweet. Pear? A bit of green-ness to it. Fresh. Watery. A stream of lightly pear-scented water. As it dries, some floral notes come forward to compete with the pear. (I’m not sure why I’m stuck on the pear – I don’t think it’s in the notes!)

Pretty, a bit light for what I’m used to, but it is lasting a surprisingly long time. This will be a lovely spring scent.

Szepasszony

In the imp: a fresh, tangy, fruity-floral ozone cologne with hints of melon and citrus.

Wet on skin: rain! This smells genuinely like fresh breezy rain on soil with the addition of cool citrus and flowers.

Dry on skin: I like this! It's very ozonic but it doesn't seem to be the 'evil ozone' that smells like electrical appliances or pure washing powder on me. I smell white flowers and fruits, as well as a sense of coldness, fresh and windy and piercing. It does smell a little like something I'd wash my clothes with, but in a good way. It's like Dirty, one of the nicer 'clean laundry' scents, but this has a feel of cologne to it, it's refreshing and cool. I get hints of wet soil underneath as well.

After a while: this smells like a perfume I've smelt before, or maybe a combination of perfumes. It smells fresh and almost mainstream, a mix of bright sharp airy citrus/cologne notes (I swear I smell orange blossom in here) and pale flowers with ozone. It's a very springy scent to me-it's almost reminiscent of Amsterdam, for some reason. It smells like there's a sharp light musk in here as well.

Verdict: it seems to me that rain is one of those ozone/aquatic notes that actually smells very nice on me. This is a very pretty, a clear, refreshing and uplifting scent, like a mountain breeze. This is like an April shower, cool and fresh, with springy floral notes all around. There's also a cologne like citrus note which smells almost like orange blossom at times. It's also one of the more 'perfumey' BPALs, in that it smells almost like something you'd get at a perfume counter, like one of those feminine 'sporty' perfumes, but in the best way possible. It is very clean as well, like white, just washed linens drying on the line, but without smelling too much like detergent. I don't need a bottle but I like this a great deal it's a very springlike scent which I'll keep for warmer weather-it's got a real feel of freshness and coolness which will be lovely when it's hot.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes, the imp. One of the better ozone scents.

If you like this, try: Tempest, Lightning, Dirty, Amsterdam

It is airy, pure, very very pure and white, or better, transparent, in the vial and wet.

It is not warm at all, but it doesn't feel very cold either. And then there are some white florals, but subdued, cold, very airy. It goes a liiittle bit soapy, but very little, contrary to what most aquatic/airy scents do on me, I don't do well these kind of scents... They just all smell the same on me, but not this one. It is actually very nice. It is watery in a pure, transparent rainy way. It doesn't seem troubled or whirlwindy to me though, it is rather calm. Very subtle and nice, I don't want to run out of it, although I don't reach for it often, at least in winter.

I recommend it to people that can't do airy or aquatics, it might surprise you.

The perfect scent to wear during the first snowfall of Winter.

Wet: Cold apple, then floral.

Dry: Light floral.

Finish: Lighter floral.

Duration/throw: This is where the problem lies - it just doesn't last on me. By the 2 hour mark I needed to be nose-to-wrist to smell it.

I think I'm going to swap this one, just because it disappears quickly on me. I've seen from other reviews that not everyone has this problem, so I hope it will find a good home.

This just smells like a pretty, but average perfume on me. It is definately fresh and airy, but not something I would ever really wear.

Oh well, my 2 imps are off to swaps!