Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Szepasszony

The Fair Lady, Winter Witch, White Maiden of the Storm. Szepasszony is a Hungarian demoness that appears as a stunningly beautiful woman with long, silver-white hair and a blinding white dress. She revels in storms, particularly when hail rains down on her. Water dripping down eaves into a puddle is an invitation for her to cause mischief: she uses the puddle as a magickal tool for casting her wicked spells. It is considered foolhardy to step into a circle of short grass ringed by taller grasses, as those mark the circles where the Fair Lady dances. A chilly, tempestuous whirlwind of clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers.

Szepasszony on me is none of the icy or aquatic impressions I had read about and was hoping for. Instead, it smells like a generic fruit smell, berry or grape -- like a Sanrio lip gloss.

My husband, however, thought it smelled unpleasantly "sharp," which I didn't detect at all. There is complexity here that may not be registering to my nose.

In the imp: A clean linen scent, reminded me strongly of "Dirty" and "Tempest" A very aquatic floral.... I think the topnote may be white grapefruit.

Wet, swiped generously on wrist: Grapefruit topnote with a white floral trace.... this is absolutely beautiful

initial drydown: Florals ease to the foreground mellowing the aquatic tang of the grapefuit.

ten minutes: Flowers dominate now with a very slight aquatic underpinning from the grapefruit. This is a clean, sophisticated scent that dries to an unobstrusive floral.... I love it.... This is a definite big bottle. Though a word to the wise, this is a slathering scent because it is very faint in final drydown.

In bottle: Faintly lemon and slightly grass. Delicate little white flowers and rain pouring down from the sky. The ozone/air notes in this aren't 'zingy' or powerfully crisp; just clean and bright.

On me: Love it! As another member commented, this fragrance changes little from bottle to skin. I will definitely need to get a larger bottle of this blend; it is a perfectly chilled scent, cold with underlying frozen beauty. I can't imagine anything better for those sweltering summer afternoons.

In the bottle: Hmm, grapefruit, nice and fresh.

Wet on my skin: Grapfruit still.. and now something else is coming through, something sharp and green - pine?

Dry on my skin: Eeeeeek. Goodbye grapefruit, hello kitty litter! I dunno what it is, but on me, it's icky. I can sorta smell flowers in there somewhere.. but the kitty litter smell is just too much.

This is a snowstorm in the middle of July, covering the flowers in a layer of chill. This may very well be the one floral I like. This smells like a mock orange blossom that has been covered in a thin layer of water and quickly frozen, lightly dusted with sugar and put in a glass bowl of cool, clear water. (Weird freakin visual, I know, but that's what I get from this.) The only thing I don't like about this is trying to remember the spelling so I can put it into the search engine :P

Szepasszony

Bubblegum fruity sweet with a citrussy commercial perfume edge. The bubblegum is fading out but the commercial citrus is sticking around. Its that ozoney citrus that plagued me in Storm Moon and Sea of Glass. This might be refreshing and beachy if you like that sort of stormy, ozoney citrus. Alas, Szepasszony is not for me.

This is light and sweet, airy and wet all at the same time. I'm not one much for white flowers, but those that do like them should love this.

Oro

This is so beautiful! It smells clean, airy, with a slightly fruity top note. I don’t smell the white flowers until the dry down. Even then, Szepasszony is absolutely stunning.

This is a white smell. It’s delicate but strong at the same time, if that makes any sense. This reminds me of the soapy clean smell of my great grandmother’s house. Which is good thing, I’ve always had pleasant memories there. I don't get any cold vibes from this, more like hanging laundry out on a sunny day feel. This is what I want my laundry to smell like. It would make a great room fragrance, linen spray, etc.

I gave my sister the imp who fell in love with it at first whiff. Looks like another oil I will have to order in multiples :P

The lab kindly gifted me with an imp of Szepasszony in my last order. Not being a fan of aquatics, I never would have tried this if they hadn't and I actually really like it. It's one of those clean laundry hanging on the line in the sunshine kind of scents and I love to wear it layered with a vanilla single note, it smells very much like the discontinued Antique Lace. By itself, I notice a nice citrus touch, maybe white grapefruit.

In the Bottle: Airy, kinda floral. Something sharp.

On Skin: There is a strong citrus note on it. It's still very fresh smelling.

On Drydown: The citrus note calms down. The smells is very fresh, very airy, very clean. After a few hours of wear, you can smell the soft floral note.

Verdict: Very pretty. I enjoy this scent alot. Alot.

Goes on with an ozoney tang and grapefruit, lemon and white flowers---maybe osmanthus?

Szepasszony is so clean and fresh that it's another scent for me to keep in my arsenal for those days when I need a lift of something that's not going to knock everyone else in the room out. This is perfect for wearing to work because it's so inoffensive and light.

Szepasszony

At first, I was overwhelmed by a peachy (peach perfume, not the fresh fruit) sweet smell, not very fresh at all. When I smelled my wrists after a couple of minutes it was just a harsh, sharp smell of "traditional perfume" recently applied. I waited for it to soften, and it did soften some, but only to flowery perfumed soap. This has no airy or clean notes on me, no cold or wet, the "freshness" is only the harsh freshness of soap, with perhaps a sweeter "traditional flower perfume" lingering in the air. Too bad, I would have adored a perfume smelling of rain and wet flowers... Perhaps I'll try Lightning or Hurricane, but I don't have high hopes for a perfume really smelling of rain...

Edited to add that I didn't get the fruitiness or soapiness when I retried it, it was just a fresh, light, generic floral, nice but nothing you can't find a billion versions of among ordinary perfumes. Still not for me but I'm glad aquatics don't always have to get soapy on me, it gives me some hope...[/color]

Edited by Caltha

So fresh and clean! absolutely not a "me'scent as i usually detest aquatics. This however is an exception, together with Water of Notre Dame, an aquatic I can wear and love :P

I agree with many of the reviews: this is a wonderfully cool fragrance, a nice floral aquatic that just feels very 'blue'!

In the bottle, there was a strangely fruit-y tone, but once on my skin, it was all aquatics with a soft floral touch.

Absolutely luscious.

szep.jpg

Really is spring flowers in rain sort of a scent, it captures the essence of that kind of moment as well as aspects of the smell of it. Parts of it reminded me vividly of Machu Picchu, but it is less forceful than the latter, less green stems and more feminine; though no one is going to call it "florally".

This is a complex scent which has been carried off masterfully. Strong yet feminine, it would be a great scent for work. If the florals which are not really florals strike a note with you, you owe it to yourself to try Szepasszony. And while you are at it, try to learn to spell it, too. Go on, I dare you!

Bottle (Imp): Fresh and ozone.

Just On: Fresh ozone.

An hour or two later: Dryer sheets, in the good way.

Around 6 hours: A hint of sweet; ozone and freshness.

12 hours: It's pretty much gone now.

Overall: I rather liked this one.

After reading other reviews: I can't id notes either, but this is so neat, and I think it fits the name.

With Szepassony, I was hoping for delicate white flowers crushed in a bitingly cold rain storm, I was expecting a fresh airy citrus, but I got. . .laundry detergent. And grass. Pesticide-coated grass. On me, it turned both perfumey and bitter. It also lasted for hours and hours and hours. Yuck.

I guess this Fair Lady and I just don't get along.

Oh how beautiful! This is light, clear and radiant. If this fragrance had a color, it would be yellow- it reminds me of the early Spring with flowers blooming and then a late snow falls and frosts the petals. It is aquatic, slightly floral and citrusy and cool all at the same time. This is so gorgeous- it will become a staple for me. Thanks lab for the idea and for creating this. It is just perfect.

alas, another aquatic/ozone scent i can’t wear. lightning remains the only one that my skin will tolerate. i would enjoy this as a room scent, but it turns sweet and cloying on my skin. and my man can’t wear it either, because the white flowers make it so feminine. this is like a flower garden after a storm, when the rain has amplified the flowers’ scent – clean, wet, floral. I was hoping for something a bit more chilly and harsh.

Szepasszony is a really nice crisp smell. Very fresh and light but not too light. Soft, feminine, airy and clean is how I would describe it. But not like soap or florals. That's not what I'm getting.

It's a scent that makes me imagine a guy wanting to curl up with me and cuddle and be sweet and caring. Nothing sexy about it, but a kind of goodness that evokes thoughts of playfulness and gentleness and fields of colorful flowers that you can't smell at all, but the breeze is light and clean and maybe just a tad cool, like it's blowing off a lake. Just absolutely fresh air. God, this scent just brings so many nice things to mind. It's the scent I really needed to help me with my mood today. Thank you lab. I thinking I might have to get a bottle of this.

As an American of Hungarian and Polish/general Slavic descent, I'm hard-core all over anything dealing with what my grandparents and dad refer to as "The Motherland". Szepasszony is a taboo word in Hungarian, and it is rumored that if you say it, it's like calling to her. Y'all, I am so loving this, and usually, I'm not into aquatic florals. But it's like VelvetSky/et.al have stated previously--this one's "cold". In fact, it's downright chilly. It's sporty and clean, but not at all what I'd call masculine. I've smelled something similar to this before, last year, when I placed an order through reflect.com (which, by the way, they got ALL WRONG). This is strangely modern, almost what I'd call urban. It makes me want to don a sharp suit and spiky stiletto heels and go busting in on a business meeting. Good for sweltering summer heat. Clean and unobtrusive, but not without a hint of sexiness. I don't think musk is listed in the ingerdients, but on me, it's there. It doesn't turn up until the very end, but it's there. Need to keep reapplying this one, though. Don't know about a big bottle, but I'll definitely use the imp! Thanks, Lab!

In the vial: Not quite as clear and airy as the description touts, but this is definitely a clean scent. The floral is very strong in this, but it's also very sweet... a newly blossoming garden in spring after a rainfall.

Wet: It loses most of that fresh, wet feeling and turns dry and powdery. It's very light and feminine, and makes me feel young.

Dry: Soap. But not regular Dove soap, it's a very pretty perfumed soap. Possibly shampoo. Yes, yes, it's shampoo! Very light floral, very feminine, very nice.

An hour later: The shampoo ebbs away slightly and this becomes a mainly floral scent, and a very pretty floral scent, not all roses or powder like a lot of the florals I've smelled. Again, it's feminine and young and innocent.

Overall: It's nice, but not quite for me. I'm tempted to keep it as my signature light, innocent, airy scent, but in reality, there's little chance I'll actually wear it when I have so many other imps of scents I love. For someone who adores feminine florals, Szepasszony would be perfect.

In the bottle: ...the child of dryer sheets and fruit punch.

Wet on skin: Oooh. Clean, but still sweet. The fruity note isn't there. There's an edge to this I find interesting.

Drydown: Fruity note peeks out for a little while, but then it disappears. The scent's still got that clean-with-an-edge going on. The edge is what keeps it from getting into dryer sheet territory.

I don't think I'd get a big bottle of this, but I'll definitely keep the imp. This has a lot of staying power, too--I put it on this morning and it didn't come off until tonight's shower.

In bottle: a very light floral, i'm picking up a bit of lemon, but it's very very light.

Wet: a very clean, but not cloying, fragrance. The aquatic notes are very light and a little bit sweet. If that is lemon in there, then I've finally found one that doesn't smell like disinfectant on me!

Dry: this blend is so light and airy; it reminds me of the beginning of spring. The heavier notes fade after a few hours, but the aquatic notes linger softly on the skin for quite some time. Nothing went powdery or sour on me like most of the "clean" scents do. This is more wonderful than I expected.

One time my parents went out of town in the winter when I was in middle school. They came home at night and we rushed to the door to greet them. My mother wrapped me up in her coat and I remember the icy bite from the fabric from having just come inside.

This is what she smelled like.

It's a light floral, kind of clean, but not at all cloying.