Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Szepasszony

... A chilly, tempestuous whirlwind of clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers.

Disclaimer: My nose is completely untrained and I've an abysmal scent memory, so my impressions are just impressions. I try to wear a scent several times before making a review.

I first sniffed and tried a friend's imp of Szepasszony, and at the time thought it was a lovely, cold, airy aquatic. So I ordered a fresh imp from the Lab, expecting to love it.

In imp: Sharp and tangy/salty, slightly aquatic. A bold, intense feel.

On skin: Oh wow, my memory was clearly an illusion. Whatever aquatic there is is overshadowed completely by a peppery, tangy, sour scent that's almost hot in its boldness; I don't get any ozone or water at all. It feels vengeful, bitter, cruel. I'm not sure what's evoking this, possibly the floral and rain notes. It's an angry kind of scent.
I don't smell much beyond this peppery tang, and like all BPAL I've tried it doesn't morph much. It's not pleasant at all.

Verdict: I'm chagrined that my first memory of Szepasszony was so good, but the reality so different. This experience was quite devastating, so alas, my imp goes to swaps.

In imp and first wet: has a sweet cologne or eau de toilette smell. the aquatic note is clear and fresh. Florals are wild and light green to yellow but hard to pick out mixed with the aquatic note. I can see the first posters's associaton to daffodil or dandelion.

Drydown: sweetens & softens. Now a clean sweet floral. These flowers are not coming across as white. If they are, it's of the flowering bush kind... Airy notes are kept. If there's a dash of ozone added, it's slight.

Overall: refreshing, inviting, crisp without bite, and soothing.

Edited by SophieCedar

First off, I'm not a fan of florals. But, the occasional one does work for me and doesn't give me a headache, so I try all the BPAL that comes my way.

This is not one of the occasional good florals for me. When I first applied, it had a heavy "white" floral scent. (I'm not good at identifying florals, most smell like "blech" to me.) After a minute or two, there was an added savory scent to it, but it disappeared rather quickly.

Two hours later, and its a floral aquatic (the floral bit has lightened up quite a bit). I was expecting that, but its quite unpleasant to me. Its a traditional perfumey scent to me, something that smells similar to things I catch other people wearing. Its not completely awful, just not special.

I'll be passing along the imp I have of it, but that's what I expected to be doing.

In the imp: a light aquatic, a little sweet

Wet: smells perfume-y, something commercial

Aaaaaand, that's all I know. As it started to dry down, my allergies flared hard. I had to wash it off.

It's a shame, because I'd love to find an aquatic I love.

In the bottle: chilly is right, and slightly grassy too. maybe the rain makes it more spring-like than I expected. if it's floral, it's so light as to be just green. not sweet, but richly springy, though it's a very early and tentative spring, one that fears the frost still.

On my skin: even grassier on me, which I find quite charming. it's lovely, though it stings the nostrils a bit (very like breathing in cold air). a confusion of winter and spring, but beautiful either way. grass and freezing rain, it makes me want to go dance barefoot outside too early in the year.

Last thoughts: oh, how I wish this hadn't been discontinued; I love the chilly-grass-frost vibe! I was anticipating something similar to Snow White 2010, but instead it's more like spring. still doesn't make it less chilly though.

I received Szepasszony as a frimp that arrived with my BPAL etsy order earlier this month. It must have been a straggler imp that's been lying around the lab since it's been discontinued for awhile. I'm happy to say it's aged well, if at all!

When I first put it on it instantly reminded me of commercial perfume minus the sneezes and the throbbing headaches they usually give me. So far, so good!

I have an untrained nose so most of the time I have no idea what's in it unless I look it up. Somehow I was able to pick out the wet grass, sweetened by white flowers and cold rain. To me it smells a bit similar to Envy except it isn't an in your face green and it's much colder. It's a fresh scent to wear after showering and it makes me feel so clean!

I hope to come across a bottle of it in the swaps when I have some extra spending money.

From the description on here, I had expected to love this as most of the descriptions talk about fresh, acquatic, rain on flowers etc.

I don't think the scent agrees with my skin — from the get-go it smelled like a celery stick on me unfortunately. A little salty and stingy with a slight sweet undertone. By now it has dried down to something mildly sweet and unoffensive with a touch of ozone, but the first two hours it smelled really off. It must be a reaction with my skin.

Too bad! On the swap list this goes.

• ITI: Sharp white florals and Glade plug in or air freshener with a touch of salt. It isn't what I was expecting out of the imp.

Wet: And that's an aquatic. I put this on as I have to run to an appointment and hesitate as I'm walking out the door, contemplating whether or not I have enough time to wash it off and make my appointment on time. I don't, so I have to deal with the damp, chilly aquatic notes, but at least the white floral keep it from being too overwhelming. The do bring a softness to the scent, but the aquatic, saltiness is dominates.

Dry: Thankfully, it fades to a combination of watery florals and brine in the distance, which isn't too bad. However, that just doesn't make the cut in my imp box.

I've been wanting to try this one for ages and I've had an imp hanging around for about a hundred years, so let's give it a go.

Wet: Bright, clean, ozoney and very sharp. Sweet florals dominated by a harsh ozone tinge.

Dry: It's a bit too astringent, even for me. The salty quality others have mentioned is a little too strong, but it is indeed very light and refreshing. It becomes a slightly powdery dry floral with a strong ozone tinge.

Szepasszony is one of those scents i would seriously consider giving my right arm for. it reminds me so much of the B&BW Herbal Mist that i used to bathe myself in during my teenage years. that scent too was discontinued years ago and it still breaks my heart. my scent choices have changed so much since then but i still mourn the loss of that one every day. this is a lovely herbal aquatic, and i love it so much. ugggghhhh it makes me so sad i will only ever have this imp.

In the imp: Cold rain on dark leaves. 

On my skin:

Wet, there's this note in it that... well, when I tried it in Orc, I described it as something like rotting zucchini garbage. This is maybe a much nicer version of what might be a type of vegetal musk. It's like if a zucchini or a cucumber -- a plant with dark, tough-ish skin -- were, while still on the vine, trapped in an unseasonably cold summer downpour. It's a sharp and unpretty scent, but this is not fetid or repulsive the way the first hour of Orc is on me. 

Yeah, but this is weird on me. It's cucumber skins in the cold rain. I don't know if it's imp age or whatever. Probably not what the scent was going for. In fairness, my skin does weird things with aquatic scents at the best of times. 

Sometimes, I get enamored of a scent description and stubbornly track it down even if it's discontinued. I longed for Szespasszony for ages and finally stumbled upon an imp. It definitely does conjure up images of a storm rolling in with lots of wind. Scent wise, it reminds me of both Denna and Sixteen92 Supercell, although it's less sweet than Denna and less green than Supercell. It's more airy than both. Actually, the "pale petals" in the recent Luper, Green, also reminds me of the floral aspect in this. Anyway, this is a nice addition to my little rain-scent collection and I'm grateful to have gotten the chance to try it. :)

I got an imp of this secondhand, so I'm not sure how aged it is/if aging has had any impact on how it works on my skin. I'd always meant to try this one before it got discontinued but never got around to it, and came across an imp recently. It's ozoney, airy notes in the imp...and then it turns to some kind of high-pitched, sour plastic on my skin. It does eventually calm down, but once it does, I mainly just get a very faint whiff of white flowers and rain. Oh well, at least I finally got to try it.