Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Szepasszony

... A chilly, tempestuous whirlwind of clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers.

This is nice...very fresh, ozone-y aquatic. I'm not averse to ozone (love Midnight on the Midway) or aquatics (big Thalassa fan) but something here is just not doing it for me for some reason I can't put my finger on. I think it's that the florals end up a bit too bright and overbearing on me. Ah well, you can't win em all (and thankfully, because if I could I'd be livin' in a cardboard box!)

I think it might be the ozone that turns on me here, but something in Szepasszony turns into a wet, sticky scent that really doesn't agree with me. I can distinguish an aquatic background, but the sticky-ness is getting to me!

edit: After a while the stickyness comes to pass, and the ozone comes out. It definitely smells cool and biting, like a storm is raging or about to come. Sadly, just a little too cool for me.

Edited by delighted

Szepasszony is definitely an aquatic with light florals. It's a much cleaner scent than what I'm used to wearing, (I usually hate clean, aquatic scents) but I looooove Szepasszony.

I really can't figure out exactly which white florals are in it. To me, it smells very familiar but I can't place exactly where I've smelled it and what it reminds me of. It doesn't so much smell like a product I've used before, but a place I've been. It's very calming... and smells so real that it's almost eerie and makes my mind reel.

It's not a perfume that's really "me" (I prefer darker, sexier, lustier scents)... but I can't deny that it is the most beautiful aquatic blend I've ever smelled in my life and would probably wear it anyway. I only wish it lasted a little longer, because it seemed to fade on me in 2 hours :(

IN THE IMP: Light aquatics and a hint of floral, with a slightly salty note, almost like rain.

WET: Turns sweeter, almost lemony. The rain note is still present, but more in the background.

DRY: Sweet and citrus-y, with a hint of rain.

szepasszony

In the Imp: Immediate images of water and bitter citrus...no plastic pool toy like most bpal water scents, so that's good!

Wet: Oh! Hairspray and bitter lemon. Where'd the hairspray come from? I reckon it must be ozone, but it set my eyes to waterin'

Dry: There's certainly a sharp smell here...kind of like "Off". Still no plastic-y smell, which is good, but there's a bitter biting note happening...almost spicy bitter. Someone above mentioned celery....it's like that one of those bitter celery sticks that you hate to bite into (like the random bitter raisin in the box that you have to spit out) with a tang of tomcat pee.....but that could be dandelion too....

Timelapse 1 hour: Bitter dandelion/ozone/celery. There IS something in this that makes me keep smelling my wrist, but I don't think I want to smell like this for a whole day.

Timelapse 2 hour: Why is it only the ones I don't like that stay? (kinda like men, i reckon! hahahaha! OH! except for the last one, of course) :lol:

Verdict: This is a fragrance everyone should smell, but I won't be able to wear, sadly enough. I would LOVE to find an aquatic fragrance that didn't turn plastic on me....my search shall go on.....

Initial unsniffed impression: This reminds me of the fairy tale, "The Snow Queen". It's my favorite fairy tale of all time and I have always been fascinated by characters with an icy, cold beauty.

In the Imp: Fresh, wet, springlike.

Wet on skin: Fresh, still very wet, bright, still very springlike. It reminds me of the first blooming flowers of spring, after it rains and their fragrant blossoms are heavy on the damp air. It perfectly encapsulates the story. There is a bit of sweetness here, but a fresh sweet, and it feels chilly, cold. It feels like a sudden rainstorm in the spring in which the raindrops have a piercing, yet fresh iciness to them.

Drydown: I'm in love with this scent. Cold and beautiful. I think I recognize sweet pea or something comparable. It is actually raining as I'm wearing this and it all feels so perfect.

Overall: There are some Bpal scents that randomly come my way which change the way I think about scents. I never considered myself an aquatic person before, but now I want to try anything and everything that evokes a feeling of rain. It also makes me want to run outside and make love to my boyfriend in the rainstorm. It's the scent of watery pleasure. And it is soooooo bottleworthy!

When I first put this on, it was CITRUS. I really don't like citrus. For five minutes I felt like I was wearing lemon pledge, and it got so bad I had to wash it off. A little while later I decided to give it a second chance, and tried again. There is a phase after the citrus. The citrus is still there, but it fades to the background, which is interesting because citrus is kind of a "pushy" scent. There's something else that smells very faintly like cocoa to me, but wet diluted muddy cocoa, submerged in something herbal and if I really stop to think about it, floral, although it doesn't bring to mind flowers at all when I just take a whiff. Actually it's quite beautiful, but I think probably not for me. I think it's almost a unisex scent, and would smell good on the right man, too.

On me, this is a very warm scent with a little bit of a bite.

Edited by KimberlyKaren

Sharp salty aquatic-a bit "dry" feeling. Both in the imp and on the skin. More of an airy aquatic than an ocean type aquatic. Very crisp, biting air. As this dries down completely I get an odd tangy metallic note...almost like...rust. I don't know where this coming from, but it smells like cologne and rust =/ Boo!

When I was a young girl my aunt and uncle would take me to the gun range. My uncle would shoot and my aunt would slather me in insect repellent and I'd play in the creek.

This reminds me exactly of that. Flowing water, muddy shores. green growing things and a dash of bug spray.

Evokes a lot of memories, but I don't think it's for me.

Got this as a frimp in the order that got here yesterday, trying it out today.

In the bottle, I get a scent like a rainy night, aquatic, really, with a bit of florals in the background. Wet on my skin, I get that rainy night with this tang that I think must be ozone? 'm not really sure, this is my first real test with ozone-ish scents.

EDIT: It lasted really long (put it on around nine in the morning, lasted till sometime just before three in the afternoon), and stayed as an aquatic sort of note, with the burntish tang of ozone and just barely a touch of florals, a cool, clean scent. This is going to be a bottle, methinks.

Edited by Venneh

Out of the bottle: sharp, clean, and subtle. Doesn't knock me down right out of the gate like most perfumes.

Upon application: I'm still getting that nice clean scent but there's something on top of it that smells like... celery? Oh dear.

Drydown: no more celery but it is very perfumey (and thus headache-inducing.) Not loving it.

I really wanted to love this scent after hearing so many great things about it, but I'm afraid it just doesn't work on me. :cry:

Edited by Acushla

This is a very pretty and clean scent. At first on me it smells like a new house!! But in a very floral way!

As it starts to dry down it reminds me of something I used to wear when I was 18 and just started dating my BF (now DH) I :heart: it and want a bottle now!!! It has soft sweet flowers with a hint of citrsu trying to poke through!

LOVELY!

Szepasszony:

In the bottle: Very clean and clear, like a cool breeze before rain. Just a bit of floral there.

Wet on wrist: Water notes, with the flowers coming through more strongly. This is definitely a clear water type smell over a more ocean-y water.

Dry on wrist: Very refreshing. This reminds me of flower petals being blown about in a spring rain.

Airy notes and slashing rain equals aluminium foil on my skin. That same kind of sharp metallic ickiness that makes your teeth go funny. I wish I could like this one but I don't. It's like a plastic version of CK One, that same androgynous cologney smell and indistinct other odours.

Yep at least I now know I can skip anything described as air, and rain.

In the Imp: fresh, green, laundry soap (in a good way), something edible; other reviews mention daffodils and dandelions, and it is almost those, but not quite... cucumber? Melon rind?

Wet on Skin: fresh and juicy but etherial and delicate

While Drying: The Boy & I both picked up something edible, but he says he is associating it with pizza(?!), and I think it is something raw and green, maybe melony? Crushed vegetation? Parsley? It gives the impression of being floral w/o being _floral_

After a Little While: Feels more like after the rain than during the tempest; …hmmm, yes, daffodills or dandilion stems peeled and curling in a glass of cool water; clean, uplifting

Later: Reapplied because it is so light, but it actually does have some throw - just a very delicate scent. The Boy likes it too. It becomes less complex with time & settles down into a more unified scent. someone mentioned 'watermellon rind' - is that what it is? Not quite. Well, maybe. Think of snapping the rind to get at the last bit of good melon

Final Thoughts: I ordered this imp based on the name alone. I was happily surprised at how much I like it. References to air and water often go horribly wrong on my skin, but Szepasszony encourages me to keep testing those notes, because sometimes it is well worth it.

Szepasszony earns a 4/5 on my skin.

This is the scent of Verdant Divinity! The first impressions were of Apples, Melons, Cucumber, and Celery.

Spectrally, this would be sort of a transparent Honeydew colour. This is very fresh and very clean!

A deep and rolling lungful of springtime air; Early morning with dewdrops still loitering about

on the clover and alfalfa. Once on the skin it becomes supremely dense and wet.

Cruched.

Planty.

Green.

The first one that the wife really and truly applauded!

Bless you, the lot, at BPAL!

This smells like cucumbers and celery and rain.

It's very River (from Firefly). It's cool and translucent.

Y'know what this reminds me of? It's like the Stormhold's younger, waifish sister.

I'm not sure where I'd wear this to, or when, but I kind of like it.

My friend Em and I loved this, spilled too much on ourselves. It was odd and clean. A clean rain scent. Sharp, but the florals wouldn't stop us. Need another imp to be sure, not worth buying a whole bottle just to rep-test

I really like this in the bottle. It's sharp and sweet and definitely smells like icy rain. On me it immediately becomes extremely sharp and spicy, and I can't smell the aquatic notes at all. Then it turns into... grapefruit? Yes, really exactly like freshly-sliced grapefruit. Bizarre.

Now that it's had time to settle, it's mellowed out a bit and I can smell the aquatics again, though most of the bite is gone. It's sort of like fresh water and baby powder, with maybe a tinge of ozone in the background. If it doesn't decide to morph again, this may be a little too soft for me. I was really hoping it would smell as strong and sharp as it did in the bottle.

**Edit**

Aha! It has morphed yet again. Now it smells exactly like it does in the bottle, only slightly softer. Very nice! Maybe this one is a keeper after all.

Edited by lilwhiterabbit

Szepasszony smells like rain and flowers and a bit of cool breeze.

There is a celery note as other people have mentioned and to me it smells just like crushed celery leaves. The floral notes are there but far away as if they have ridden in on the breeze. It's like catching a waft of an April shower through an open window.

It's in my wear-to-the-office rotation.

Szepasszony

Where is it?! I barely smell anything directly out of the imp! Maybe it's because I've become so used to strong BPAL oils? After I apply it to my wrist, I can just make out a faint glue-like smell. The kind of glue that seals envelopes. That and bathroom spray. Yuck! After a while though, it warms up and begins to smell like a familiar perfume that I can't remember the name of. Nice enough, but pretty boring.

2.5 out of 5

In bottle: Pretty much as advertised. White flowers with an ozone edge and a hint of rain’s softening. Wet: Elegant white flowers blend. The other elements are detectable, but weaker. Dry: Fast fading, and goes a bit sour with my skin chemistry.