Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Szepasszony

... A chilly, tempestuous whirlwind of clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers.

In bottle/imp: Salty, cold, wet and rainy… but crystalline and clear.

Immediately on skin: This is a very clean scent. It smells cold, salty, and very wet, like freezing rain would if it had a scent of its own. I also get lemon of some sort from this, but it is light. This scent is very high and sharp, and almost icy.

After a little while: The watery feel has gone away a bit, and now this is more of a crisp and citrus laden scent. It’s an air scent almost now instead of water, and it feels very clean.

Overall Impressions: This is a nice clean, unisex fragrance. It’s like Dirty’s older, more masculine brother. The hint of lemon is nice, and this really does feel windy and cold. It’s watery at first but turns into more of a drier, airy scent after a while.

In the imp: Very sweet and salty, rather like a sweettart candy or something. A hint of aquatic.

On skin, wet: SWEETTARTS.

On skin, dry: Oh gah. That's gardenia hiding in there, yes? As the 'thin undercurrent' of flowers? My skin has gone NUTS with it and it's almost all I can smell. I can sort of tell that there's something aquatic, but it's generally not good.

Overall: This would be *glorious* on the right person with the right skin chemistry. That person is emphatically not me. Off to swaps.

This smells like a real thunderstorm: rain, fresh air, wet dirt and grass, and a touch of white florals.

First try with a smear on the back of my hand I did get something clean, soapy, laundry detergent w/ a touch of thunderstorm. Second wear applied heavier on my pulse points, I got real thunderstorm-totally awesome, weird, evocative, lovely- w/ just a touch of soap/ detergent.

After about 6 weeks of aging my imp the dirt/ grass notes get stronger, leaving even less an impression of soap/ detergent. So aging definately makes it smell more like a real thunderstorm.

Not an everyday scent, but definitely need a bottle of this for Spring/ Summer. A wonderful light fragrance, that isn’t too feminine. Perfect for sweltering hot days. Or for when it's thunderstorming, to smell like the weather.

[Edited to add this] The quote below was snatched from Demeter's description of their fragrance Thunderstorm. This is what I was trying to get at about being like a real thunderstorm, especially when the dirt/ grass notes get stronger with age. Cause it's the dirt/ grass notes that make it thunderstorm.

"Have you ever considered the olfactory side of rain? You know it's coming, you can smell it in the air. It does seem that on summer days when it is hot and dry, with a thunderstorm brewing just over the next hill, you can `smell the rain.’ Well, you can smell something, but rain? Have you ever tried to smell this same rain in January when the ground is frozen solid? Not a chance, but when the ground and plants are warmer, you can smell something. What you really smell comes not from the air, but the ground! Plants release oils that enter the soil and blend with the other earthy odors. These odors are released into the air when the relative humidity at ground level exceeds 75 percent. Moist humid air will transmit odors far better than dry air. In these moist humid conditions we notice these odors more readily. And since rain is so often connected with moist humid air, we tend to associate one with the other. "

Edited by mylogicsaysburn

Wet this smelled like lilies, pine and ozone. I usually do well with aquatics so I was hopeful. Unfortunately, on the drydown I smell like my Dad, I think it's English Leather. Hmm, weird. :P Off to swaps with you!

To me, this smells like Cool Water woman. It has a fresh, ozoney quality I always associate with perfume, maybe because I was an avid worshipper of Cool Water back in the days.

Nowadays.. it gives me a headache. It DOES have an aquatic quality to it that I associate with rain, but for me, it smells too perfumey, sadly. I love the smell of rain. If I concentrate on the scent I can smell the "rain", but everything is dominated by that "perfumey" scent. Sigh. :P

Skin chemistry is a very weird thing. In the bottle and first applied, this is a lovely aquatic floral. But on the drydown, it goes through a VERY bizarre phase. This sounds weird, but it starts to smell like a public bathroom. Unpleasant, very cloying, almost painful to my nose. But when it finally dries down completely, it goes back to being floral and lovely. Very odd indeed. I'll hang onto this one, but I may just use it in my oil burner.

Unfortunately this one was the only imp from my first official Lab order that worked on me. It's a gorgeous aquatic -- a gloomy floral with a biting ozone that just WORKS. I love it. I need more of it!

Brand new

In the bottle:

Cool, subtle, wet floral.

Wet:

Spicy floral, strong ozone - reminds me more of early spring than winter. Reminds me of good aftershave.

Drydown:

lemon, gardenia (I think), and ozone - this is very clean and fresh and still reminds me of a man's scent although I am liking. it doesn't feel so much like the rain itself as the heady clean air that follows it.

As it ages, it becomes a soft citrus floral as if the sun is drying off the rain. This feels less masculine, but still very clean and fresh. I like it very much and will be wearing it again.

Oh man. This is good. Top tener for sure. It's perfect for spring and the summer. Unfortunately for me, I just rediscovered it today. Well....this one smells like fresh, clean deodorant, to me. I never knew I wanted to smell like that before. It's beautiful, though. Makes me feel clean, fresh and happy.

This is weird. At first I couldn't work out what it was this smells like. Then it hit me, it smells (at least when it's fresh on) exactly like celery. So strange.

It's definitely airy and wet smelling, but the "grasses" are just too like celery for me to want to wear this. I don't even like celery :P

In the imp: Citrus rain and yellow flowers. Light, clean, reffeshing.

Wet: Lovely! It's a lot stronger than I thought it would be. And there is a light note of a vanilla cake or sweet ginger. Something sweet and foody, but it is light and doesn't take away from the clean citrus smell.

Dry: Really lasts much longer than any other 'clean' or 'light' scent I've tried. It doesn't fade and stays pretty true to the imp. The foody scent is still there, but it is still citrus rain and yellow flowers.

Overall: I've been looking for a light, clean scent that lasts on me. And this is it! :P Big bottle for me!!

Imp: Sharp, sweet ozone and blossoms.

Wet: Light and fresh as air, a tiny minty hint of cold, a bitter tang of salt.

Dry: Wet grass and a crystalline water scent. Nothing floral on me just cold freshness. This will be wonderful in the summer! :P

This is weird. At first I couldn't work out what it was this smells like. Then it hit me, it smells (at least when it's fresh on) exactly like celery. So strange.

It's definitely airy and wet smelling, but the "grasses" are just too like celery for me to want to wear this. I don't even like celery :P

This is exactly the review I was coming here to post. In fact, I was starting to get alarmed when I read a page or two and no one else mentioned celery. Pretty floral+bad, bad celery. I can only hope that full dry down is better, but I'm not sure I'm willing to smell this way for that long.

Sweet, fresh water :P This is so lovely and clean, like just after a summer rain. You're not going anywhere near my swap pile, you little minx, you!

In the bottle this smells like a very light, shiny fruit note, but not citrus. After a couple of minutes on my skin a smell like the one you get when you break the green stem on a plant comes to the surface, along with a smattering of grassy notes. After a while it just sort of gets biting and herbal, but not terribly... good. I already knew herbal scents dont generally work on my skin, but this was a frimp and I wanted to try it out.

The way it smells in the bottle might be worth trying out in a scent locket though... *ponders*

In the imp: Celery, is that you?? :blink:

Wet: I'm not a huge fan of the lab's aquatic notes.. sure they smell wet, but are not really realistic enough to me to be evocative of the concept. This one is that way-- I can imagine it smelling like cold rain beating down on a delicate white flowers and green stems.. but really it smells like "weird perfume" to me..

Dry: Cant get celery out of my head <_< Sorry. not loving this one!

In the imp:

White florals with an aquatic note.

On the skin:

When wet, it goes 'Celery!' However, after it settles down I get the aquatic note that does indeed remind me of heavy rain in the wind, the sort that puts a beat down on your umbrella. The flowers are there, but it smells like the rain is washing them away/they're getting drowned out.

Overall:

This is another very interesting scent and I'll definitely hang onto the imp so that when I'm craving an aquatic, I can reach for it.

Fresh and cool, reminiscent of gray, dense summer storm clouds, charged with icy rain.

When it's dry, I get more of that light floral note, which I find on my skin is perfectly balanced with the wet, watery notes.

Mmmm. This is a keeper.

Wet: Light, musky floral. Not sure where the musk comes from...

First on: Unchanged.

Dry: A bit ozone-y and sharp for me on drydown.

Sniffing the imp: Very light, crisp and citrusy.

Wet on skin: This went on with a screeching high note, sharp, and very in-your-face.

Dry down: This just didn't work for me...it went kind of soapy. Darn. :huh?:

This is kind of what I was expecting from Danube - flowers and water. It stronger than I expected (which is a good thing as these kind of watery florals are usually pretty faint) but it's spoiled by something resembling nail polish remover.

After a while the nail polish remover smell goes and the perfume begins to fade, but it's not really me. Off to the swap pile.

2.5/5 Oh well, at least this means I don't have to figure out how to pronounce or spell it.

I'd love to find something watery that really works

Imp: Watery and citrus-y

Wet: Very clean. Not getting much in the way of florals

Drydown: Phase 1 - something weird and maple/plastic is peeking out.

Phase 2: Gah. Celery and maple sugar. Not cool.

Another test from the shoebox of ever-multiplying imps ... and you could've knocked me over with a feather once I'd come online to check the notes! As a rule, I don't do florals and I don't do aquatics and anything that even hints of storms or ozone will set my head to aching. Szepasszony is lovely, though. Very springlike and fresh. Lovely light florals - the earlier spring ones that don't have a heavy "flower" scent, like daffs and crocus. It's freshened with a bit of green and gently washed with spring rain. This *might* be a bottle purchase!