Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Djinn

... The scent of black smoke, of crackling flames, and smoldering ashes.

In the bottle: At first sniff this is very sharp and acidic but changes to sage and resin.

Wet: Metallic. And resin. Very intriguing! The incense smell reminds me of something I've burnt but I can't remember the name of the incense.

Dry: The drydown hasn't changed much but now I am smelling a hint of lime also.

Overall: I am enjoying the scent but this makes me feel like I want to be alone. Not alone in a bad way though. More like wanting to smell like Djinn while I am working in my studio. *adds this to the large bottle list*

i obtained this from the lovely kymba as a frimp :P

straight sniff from imp is a tangy smoke...so different and unique!!!

once applied, this morphs and changes into the most resinous, heavenly bpal i have ever experienced....i sense a heavy, thick vetiver note in this as well...

gorgeous!

most definitely need a big old bottle of this beauty....i swear it was made just

for me :D :D

I swear there's something of lime in this. It's a very hot scent, even though it doesn't smell particularly like flames or smoke or ash to me. It smells like sun-baked brick. And lime.

The imagery it leads to is nothing short of fantastic, and I love it simply for that. The desert this conjures isn't any desert on this earth, rather a desert drawn from the pages of 'The Book of the Thousand Nights and One Night'. This is a desert with tricksters and bandits, lost sons and flying wooden horses. It's a desert at once treacherous and beautiful, where fate may give or take at the slightest whim.

It's a bit caustic for every day use, but it's perfect for special occasions - or simply to set a mood. I may just have to pick up a big bottle when my imp runs out.

In the vial: dark burning flames

On the skin: smoke and fire, burning. It reminds me of Fallen, but where as Fallen is mostly ashes and keeps burning, Djinn is flames and fire, all-consuming.

reviewed courtesy of Quikslver's GC circle swap

avh_egc01.jpg

Djinn

first sniff: this one is interesting, compelling even - I can't identify components, but despite the dark name I'm not afraid to try it.

tested wet: it does have a firey soul...a real invasive and permeating. It doesn't feel or smell "hot" like spicy or woody, but it's like the electricity that bounces off the flames as they crackle and dance under a night sky.

tested dry: the sparks fly for quite awhile and then settles innocuously into a pile of lightly powdered ash. Then *poof* the whole thing suddenly disappears.

Conclusion: If an imp should happen to cross my path I'd enjoy dancing in the flames with Djinn again.

3/5

In the imp, Djinn is sharp, intense and smoky. Once on my skin, I smell fire and smoke, and then the scent really explodes. For whatever reason, smell of Djinn seems red to me, but there's also black smoke billowing off of the red fire. It seems to have a cinnamon smell, but also something that is rather like cumin or chili pepper.

There's a novella by A.S. Byatt called "The Djinn in the Nightingales Eye" and the djinn in that story is a huge, outlandish, overbearing, very masculine and sexual creature who is both base and sophisticated, and not one of those sweet little genies that permeates our popular culture. The scent of Djinn is certainly evocative of the creature in Byatt's novella, and I really appreciate its complexity and its fire. On my body and to my nose, it's a very masculine scent, although I do not doubt that on the right woman, it could be just devastatingly sexy.

I get no spices from this, just nose-stinging smoke and an acrid scent like wet ashes. Very interesting as a concept, but a world of no as a perfume for me personally!

first impression: Fairly leaps from the bottle, sharp ginger/soapy smell.

settling in: I love this! Very reminiscent of burning incense, and I finally placed what it was reminding me of: Trivets, a store that used to be in downtown Cincinnati. It was an antique/gift/clothing store that specialized in 60's memorobilia and such. This reminds me of their basement, in the back, they had a sort of tunnel lit by blacklight, full of posters you could rummage through, and lots of posters on the walls and ceilings. Their store always smelled like burning incense and this reminds me of that.

as time goes by: Doesn't change or morph *much* on me, I am getting more vetiver and the ginger is fading. More woodsy and the smokiness is backing off. Still love it.

bottom line: Not sure if I'll get a big bottle, this is only my 2nd bpal scent. It's sort of contradictory because it's so bold at first, but at the same time very mellow, smooth, sexy, and masculine. Very nice.

edit: I have to say, almost a year later, Djinn is one of my top 2 GC scents (the other being Snake Oil). I wear it pretty often when I go out. I am not going to change my review, although now I don't think it smells like burning incense. It's just perfect for me, and I can't imagine being without it. It ages really well too, gains some depth and roundness I think, and even a hint of sweetness comes out.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Not that I need another to love, but Djinn is fantastic. It is warm, pungent, and spicy. Definitely worth hunting down more imps.

When first applied, I definitely got the smoke from the description.

After a few minutes, though, it turned sour, and a weird green note showed up that I didn't like at all.

Oh, well.

This was extremely strong both in the imp and on me (initailly.) I am not a slatherer. In fact I only put on a little, as it was really strong just after having opened the cap.

It initially had a very strong commercial perfume scent with no notes I could pick out. After I put it on, the throw was overpowering. I could actually taste it for about 1/2 an hour.

After about 1 1/2 hours, it's settled down to smelling much like pipe smoke. Not bad, but not a favorite.

Phew, that's strong! It's also sweeter than I thought it would be -- this is sweet smoke rather than dark smoke. It's actually not as bad as I expected it would be, but it's giving me a headache so it has to go.

In the imp: Sharp, strong and resinous. Do I smell pine? Juniper? Vetiver? I do NOT get smoke from this. It's much too sharp and astringent to be smoky. It smells like a cleaning product to me.

Wet on the skin: Very strong and very sharp. I think I definitely smell something astringent and slightly piney. It reminds me of the way a cabin at summer camp would smell after someone had given it a really good cleaning with really strong cleaning products.

Early dry down: Ugh. I can't hold this near enough to my nose for long enough to distinguish notes. It makes my eyes water it is so strong and perfumey.

Late Dry Down: I'm finally getting a little bit of smoke, and something sweet. It's still piney to me, and reminds me of Christmas-pine incense I once bought. It's still too strong for me, but at least I finally saw a bit of the fire before I had to wash this one off.

Sharp and bitter.

Wow, what a dark scent. Fire and ashes, but with a strange pure clean scent to it?

Too dark for me, and I love incense...

Djinn - This is the most true-to-live smoke-and-ash scent I’ve experienced. It smells exactly like a campfire pit at the end of the night, when you’re covering up all of the embers before climbing into your tent. The throw is about average, as is the staying power. It’s definitely an authentic scent, but not one I want to wear as a perfume.

in the imp:

Some random first impressions: smells wet, soapy, and very masculine, with a stomach-turning sour note in there somewhere. Hmm.

wet:

Still very masculine, much heavier than my usual scents. There's cedar or pine resin in here, I think, as well as an acrid animal-y smell that I think was causing the sour note, and still isn't very pleasant.

dry:

The high sour note (mostly) goes away, and this has settled into a woodsy, very dry, masculine scent. I can see how this smells like burnt ashes from a wood fire.

overall:

This is not something I'd wear, or I'd put on my boy. It's not terrible, but it's not my thing at all.

This was a gift from a friend who originally thought she was giving me Jack.

This is nothing like Jack. That's a good thing. (Not that I've smelled Jack yet.)

The instantaneous reaction I had to this scent was that it smelled like "instant light" charcoal, like is used for hookahs and incense burners.

Every so often now I'm getting a back hint of cedar. And it's the first scent that's had any real throw on me.

Djinn

in imp: spicy smoke

wet: pine needles

dry: spicy smoke and sap

verdict: nice, but I don't need a big bottle

Perfumey in the bottle, drying to a sharp eucalyptus/medicinal herbal smell. Green herbs, a sharp pine sap... and a hint of something sweeter... Irish Spring? As I was typing this I smelled cat pee and thought 'If one of those cats peed....' of course the punchline is it is Djinn. I truly smell a note of cat pee. :P

In the bottle: Djinn smells like frankincense and benzoin to my nose.

Wet: The resins are acrid and medicinal, husky and deep. It resonates like a men’s cologne, blackened. This proved too strong for my husband’s taste. He associated the scent with camphor.

Drying down: Sweetness wells up amid the crackling alchemical flames. Perhaps that is my nose’s reaction to the rest of the mix, but I do not know for sure.

Dry: I am a little sad that my husband finds Djinn so repulsive. As a fan of resin incenses, this scent reminds me of sticking my nose into the jars that hold my stash of resins. I am also fond of resinous perfumes. The sweetness is resembling myrrh, which is an all-time favorite note of mine.

Later: This scent was delightful to me on a walk in the cool, crisp, morning air. The resins were offset by the sweetness of the breeze and the scent of leaves on the ground. As time wore on, Djinn developed a scent akin to citron, not quite grapefruit, lemon, or lime but sharper. This is much mellower than its outset. I heartily enjoy this one; I would wear it to a ritual without a second thought. However, knowing how acrid it begins and how much my husband dislikes it, a big bottle would be impractical.

(Edited for mistyping and some rewording.)

Edited by blackfelicula

First this was just a super strong lemon. The lemon stayed strong enough to singe my nose hairs for a couple of hours. Slowly something smoky came out of it. It ended up being smoky, pale lemon. Not great, not horrible. Seemed kind of masculine, but when I put it on my husband it was quite unpleasant.

At first it's this very complex blend on me that is evocative and strangely beautiful, and then my skin sorts it all out. There is a note that is in every BPAL blend I've tried with "snow" in the name- pine and something extra- that does not work for me, and that note is what all of those scents become. Somehow, Djinn got his hands on some of this snow and it is burning merrily away. I don't know. There's also something sort of herbal or fruity there, and it's just not good. Actually, it now smells like a men's body wash, which makes sense. I bet my husband would smell fantastic in this. Hmm. Off to plot.