Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Djinn

... The scent of black smoke, of crackling flames, and smoldering ashes.

It smells like a masculine version of Bon Vivant, with the "sparkling coca cola" smell I get from it - though a bit headach-y. Wery synthetic like gummy bear candy, was so excited I wanted something dark I could try for once... Oh i guess it's only fruity vanilla and smoke that goes for me! As for black smoke I got none at all.

In the Imp (ITI): As I inhale, I get an interesting combination of sweet, incense-like smoke with smoky (like over charcoal) flames. I also get a touch of menthol, which is interesting since it is not in the scent notes.

Wet: I’m still getting strong menthol (or benzoin) and smoky incense. I don’t get the ashy or charcoal scent anymore. Even with it, I still like this combination. It’s unusual and reminds me of winters lounging around a wood-burning fireplace.

Dry: The dried scent dissipates very quickly. There is the faintest hint of incense-laden smoke. I’m sad it doesn’t last beyond 3-4 hours before I need to reapply.

I bought a bottle of Djinn for my husband unsniffed. All I can tell you is that he LOVES this blend and receives tons of compliments while wearing it.

To me, it is masculine...really crisp and sharp smelling. Not something I'd wear, but he loves it and I love it on him.

This was a frimp from the lab. On me, it's masculine, in a kind of sharp and unpleasant way, not really smoky, not vanilla at all. Sort of like demon's BO, which isn't really as good as it sounds like it might be :blink:

In the bottle, this one had a sharp sweet kind of scent, with little smoke, so I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it despite originally being very excited to try it.

However, after I decided to give it a try the smokiness came through and I was very pleased. It wasn't the hot flame kind of smell I was hoping for, but a very pleasant incense smoke that made me feel calm and warm despite today being a grey rainy day.

This one did not last very long though. Next time I will try to add a little more than I did this time, or will just have to reapply.

Overall, I really liked Djinn. And my friend could not stop sniffing me, haha

Wet: Ooh! Very golden and bright.

Drydown: Is that ambergris? Sparkly gold with a tangy quality. There’s a moment that reminds me of Twenty-One, so I’m guessing gin is one of the notes. I’m getting a metallic, almost-salty vibe, which must be the ash. It reminds me of glittering sand.

Dry: Smoky and smooth. Grey and bronze with a deep smoky note emerging from the background. Smoldering. My best guess at the notes would be ambergris, gin, civet, frankincense, woodsmoke, and some sort of metallic ash.

Every moment of this morpher was full of win. The drydown stage had a tangy, glittering gold vibe, while the dry phase had more of a deep, smoky elemental thing going for it. Both are fabulous. I can see myself putting this into heavy rotation once the weather starts to cool down.

Edited by BoneBone24

Received this imp from the lovely cyndaelle!

Djinn is a blend that I've been curious about. I've never tried a smoke or fire blend before so I figured this would be a good first.

In the imp, it was sweet smoke with an acrid tang, something sharp and lemony. Perhaps there was also a hint of ginger? And there was a quality reminiscent of citronella or Vicks VapoRub, which was not entirely unpleasant. There was also the suggestion of dead leaves. It was very complex and interesting.

Wet it was at first very much like cool autumn air and leaves. Then the Vicks got amped but it morphed into something strongly sweet with a pleasant lemon tang. I couldn't stop huffing my wrist.

Dry-down it was sweet and light and creamy, almost mouthwatering. There was some sort of hint of herb or spice but it was so smoothly blended that I couldn't pick anything out. Mint? Sage? Cinnamon? Not sure, but it was delightful.

As it lingered on my skin it morphed quite a bit. It was like a kaleidoscope of pleasant scents and I was very surprised. I tested this at work today and I was taking notes throughout the day of how the scent morphed.

My notes were:

-Sweet incense wrapped in green.

-A pine-needle-fed fire pit long after the flames have died down.

-Sweet, creamy smoke wafting through a cedar forest.

-Sweet grass dusted with vanilla sugar.

-Pepper and eucalyptus and cinnamon.

-Vanilla and sweet incense.

I've never had a blend morph so much before. I didn't mind it one bit. Overall, through every stage, I found this blend to be very comforting and wistful. I never knew my skin chemistry amped sweet so much either but I have such a sweet tooth that it isn't too surprising that I have sweet skin, haha.

As much as I adore this, I don't think I'll get a bottle. It's much too distracting- I barely got any work done today because I couldn't stop sniffing myself! I think I may horde a few imps, though, for those days when I have the leisure to go on a scent adventure.

Imp: Hot ginger, soap, sand and chemical ash. That is one weird smell.

Wet: Plastic, ginger tea, and hand soap. I get something else very sharp as well but it's unidentifiable. It's... actually not as unpleasant as that sounds, surprisingly.

Dry: Hot ginger tea and dry soap powder. This is nice, but I have other ginger scents that I prefer.

First reply, first review. Here I go, I guess. I've had this one for years, but it's one of my favourites and I figured it would be a good place to start with the reviewing.

Bottle: The smell of a just-doused campfire, with the charcoal still hissing and smoking. It's a sharp, acrid scent, but natural instead of chemical. If I inhale gently, I get a hit of sweetness before the sharpness kicks in. Not heavy, more like sweet grass or new hay than cake or pastry, but there's some spices layered over it that make it weirdly foodie for a half second.

Wet: The sharpness quiets down a little - not completely, but enough to rewind the scene to when the campfire was still lit but beginning to die down. It reminds me of wandering away from the fire and towards the edge of the woods, so that there's smoke on the wind but also the smell of leaves and dry earth. I'm still getting a slight hit of something spicy (maybe pepper and clove), but it's spices-on-charcoal incense rather than anything edible.

Dry: At this point my ability to describe scents fails a little, because every time I sniff my wrist my brain just goes 'it's so comfy' over and over again. There's all the notes from when it was wet, but softened at the edges like a worn-in jacket. The spices amp up a tiny bit, but in a mellow (not spicy) way, and all the harshness is gone from the smoke. This definitely falls between 'wild fire' and 'hearth fire' - controlled and man-made, but still out in the forest.

Occasionally it sharpens up again and I get a dry, metallic quality when I sniff my wrist directly, but that isn't present at all in the throw and it disappears after a minute or two.

Picked this one up at Dragon*Con (thanks again, Beth!). It fits my costume well (Malzahar, League of Legends), and I liked it quite a bit.

Wet/in-bottle: A bit sharp, sweet, almost spicy.

Drydown: A sharp woodsy scent. There may be a few moments of high-throw, sharp, sweet smell, but that fades.

Dry: Soft charred woods, with a bit of sweetness. Like a warm campfire, but without the harsh smokiness. n__n

Awesome scent - works great for me, should also work well for women. Barring a few moments of high throw, this scent becomes very mellow and warm. Glad I have a bottle!

First Sniff: Smoky soap with vetiver or some form of wood.

Initial Wet Application: I think there’s some sort of citrus underneath it all.This is wonky: it can’t seem to make up its mind if it wants to be sultry with incense or like clean, floral soap.

Dry Down (first 15 minutes): As it dries down, I can easily imagine ashes from a burned incense stick, dried and crumbling. There’s a pleasant, warm note to it though too which is keeping this interesting. I think I’m detecting some Middle-Eastern spice in this, which is nice, and would hold true with the mythology surrounding genies/djinn.

My Reaction: This certainly evokes images of dryness and smoking ashes. After reading some of the other reviews I’m guessing that the sweet/dry smell is ginger. It’s a warm smoky scent and subtle with some sweetness, although it faded rather quickly on me. Not really my thing, but interesting nonetheless.

Rating: 2

Got this as a frimp. In the imp it smells acrid and strong, like very strong incense...no sweetness at all! On the skin it becomes a little less acrid and becomes a strong burning incense smell. It is not a sweet cinders smell like other "burnt" scents I have, but rather realistic and bold. Over the day, it becomes less intense and blends well with my skin chemistry even though I am a female and this is very masculine. There is a spiciness, like being in a Middle-eastern store, that opens when warm on the skin. It lasted over 10 hours and strangely enough it made me have a sense of power and confidence if that makes any sense. Very interesting blend that I will probably buy a full vial of later.

Djinn does an amazing job of creating an impression of fire. This is such a great example of Beth’s genius.

In the imp this smells of smoldering ashes, vetiver and lava. Once applied to my skin, the fiery notes explode into a burst of warm citrus and a hint of menthol to give you the idea of wild flames licking the air.

Just like a fire, as it sits for a while, Djinn stars to cool into a cozy, smoldering citrus and vetiver scent. The final dry down stage almost smells clean and soapy.

This is a great scent for anyone looking to explore fire notes or vetiver without feeling overwhelmed. Love it!

It burns usss! It freezesss! No, really, my skin is definitely tingling. First BPAL skin reaction, and I've been testing imps for five years. Acrid is right. I get both red-hot cinnamon and icy menthol with strooong smoke and some vetiver. I can't even. A scent like this is for a total badass, like Mr. T.

Score another for "things I never would have tried, but I got a frimp, and I liked it!" :)

In the imp, this is a strong herbal incense that reads as Middle Eastern. It reminded me a little of TAL Blessing of Isis. I also have Cairo in this order, and I thought for a moment I'd picked it up by accident while meaning to pick up Djinn.

Wet on my skin, it's mostly smoky wood. There's vetiver here, behaving maybe not quite as well as it does in Sloth, but almost. The rest of the smoky wood is made up of, I think, red sandalwood and pine. There's a slight hint of something minty. It might be cinnamon.

A few times while it was drying, I thought I smelled wax, but I think it was a bit of throw from the Mini Mag that I have elsewhere on the same arm. But...it worked? I may try them together on purpose sometime and see what happens. Mini Mag could soften Djinn, and Djinn could accentuate the wood-and-smoke parts of Mag.

Dry, it's really not smoky at all, but a woody mix of red sandalwood and some vetiver that smells more herby than smoky now. So it's a bit like I'm watching the fire in reverse--first the smoke and fire, then the intact wood. There's a little incense too, but I can't define it.

This is a scent of power, I think--I could wear this if I needed to stand up for myself in a difficult situation. At the same time, I think Djinn would feel at home around a campfire with some beers. It's like nothing else in my collection, and lots of thanks to the Lab for sending it--otherwise I'd never have known I'd like it. FWIW, it comes across as gender-neutral to me.

I usually stay away from cinnamon/cassia/anything that sounds like it has cinnamon in it. Not allergic, just find it a boring note that takes over. It doesn't do that here--there's an ash note that I think I recognise from Hellfire, and pine and/or mint giving that effervescent thing, cinnamon for sure, a fresh ginger (I think that's responsible for the lemony bit), and something smoky. I like it, although it's quite odd, mainly because the first blast of heat is so striking when I open the imp. Mission accomplished, that's the smell of a djinn, all right. I don't know how often I'll reach for it, but it's wearable.

In the imp: Bitter ashes.

Wet on my skin: Bitter ashes and I think pine smoke.

Dry: Surprisingly wearable once it dries down! This is a woodsy, incensed, ashy scent. I recognise vetiver and sandalwood, and ginger, and what I'm fairly sure is pine pitch and/or pine ash. There's also something camphorous in it, which gives it a nostril-tingling sharpness when inhaled deeply. After a while, a hint of something a little sweeter comes out, and I think it might be citrus, but thankfully it doesn't turn to bathroom cleaner due to the dry/incense notes. This is a little bit reminiscent of the old Tiger Balm recipe, though not quite as sharp and medicinal. It's a fairly masculine scent, but very wearable on my skin. I don't think I'll need more than an imp, since I have other smoky/fire scents I prefer and have bottles of, but I'll definitely use up the imp!

Wow, there goes my nose hairs. This scent is a sharp acrid smoke note with some smoldering ashes in the background. If you have ever smelled something that is fire damaged then you will know this smell. The smell brings up some bad memories and leaves on overall bad taste in my mouth. The blend itself is exactly what it says, if you want the remnants of a fire then this is for you.

Wet: Smoky Coke! I totally get the Coca-Cola vibe others have mentioned, along with what smells like really smoky vetiver. Very masculine. Really unique. I kinda like it. Not that I think I could ever wear it. I would like to smell it on a man though, just for comparison.

Dry: The vetiver, or whatever the smokiness is, dies down quite a bit, and I'm left with something that smells like slightly acid Coke. There's some sweetness, a bit of effervescence. It's interesting, but not really something I would wear. Really glad I got to try it though!

Got this in a forum purchase :D Out of the vial, whaaaat cigarette smoke?! Right out of the imp this is super acrid and strong. On me it seriously smells exactly like someone is smoking a cigarette nearby. Somehow this seems hot and cold at the same time. In about ten minutes it morphs into burning plastic and eucalyptus. Where the hell is eucalyptus coming from? If I sniff my wrist it's all eucalyptus. The throw is again somewhat cigarette smelling. I think something in this went VERY wrong on me. I didn't get any of the spices mentioned in other reviews. The smoke wasn't the sweet smoky note from like, Dracul or Lampades, it was distinctly cigarette-like. (I hate the smell of cigarettes) There was no sweetness to this on me. Gaaaah, not for me! I might give this another chance later on to see if this was a fluke or maybe I put too much on but I think its my skin chemistry not getting along with one or more of the notes. Just wish I knew which one...

Edited by Mermaid-on-Land

I love smoke and fire and stuff!

I like this more than Brimstone: it has much more of the crackling flames than the smoke, and among the smoke, I catch no trace of sulfur. This is a glowing red, smoky, and floral smell of bonfire, part realistic and part imagined fire smell. The red floral part reminds me of the lab's dragon's blood mix, but the woodsmoke brings it closer to fire than to resin. A note of wood ash dusting the end of the scent smells cozy, and not at all ash tray.

Djinn dries down to a soft and sweet floral campfire note.

This started out smelling like the ashes of a fire that burned out hours ago, but when it dried it suddenly came to life. Seriously, it makes me feel like I'm actually sitting around a burning campfire right now. It doesn't have much throw. I can't smell it unless I stick my wrist right under my nose, but when I do it's just so warm and cozy. I really like Djinn. I'll probably wear it whenever I need a little pick-me-up.

Not that smokey in the classical sense on me: the opening is like a resinous cologne with some dark herbs. The central note reminds me of olibanum burned in Orthodox churches, though. This note is pretty much present throughout, with slightly different flavors as the scent dries. Moderate wear length.

I keep waiting for my vetiver hatred to be proven wrong, and it just never happens. This does get sweeter and more like firewood on the drydown, but the ashes and smoke aren't my thing.