Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Djinn

An ancient, free-willed race created from the essence of Fire, much as man was created from Earth. They prowled the land at night, vanishing with the first rays of dawn. Myths surrounding the Djinn paint them as many things: benevolent champions of mankind and slaves to mad sorcerers, malicious incubi / succubi and energy vampires, or malevolent harbingers of madness and disease. The Djinn are ruled by Iblis, the Prince of Darkness, who bears unspeakable contempt for man. The scent of black smoke, of crackling flames, and smoldering ashes.

Djinn is totally on fire. It does smell just like a campfire. Or like your clothes smell after you've been to a bonfire. Very intriguing.

It does make my nose itch and my eyes water, though.

I'm going to give this to my mom's husband. He used to be a fireman.

First Impression: Fire in a bottle.

Second Impression: Smoky, hot and flames and ash.

Final Analysis: Not something I care to smell like, but it smells dead on to the description.

Warning: I absolutely can't do smoky scents, so please don't let my review scare you off!

The description is dead on, Djinn is indeed very, very smoky. On me, the ashes are most prominent. It does not really smell hot or like a fire to me, just ashes, cold and grey.

Djinn was very strong when I applied it, then it mellowed down quite a bit. Since this type of scent is really not my thing, I ended up washing it off, but if you like other smoky scents like Brimstone you would probably enjoy Djinn.

unfortunately- this blend left me with a headache. It's VERY smokey and the resins are very thick in this blend. I think I'm finding that smokey blends just don't work for me.

holy HELL. sniffing this put me in a state of panic, it's so damn scary smelling. sharp and acrid, just like jj_j said. this reminds me of the way our house smelled when we came home to find that our kitchen had caught fire and the entire kitchen/dining room had burned down. dreadfully frightening. i'm gonna have to wash this one off. i feel like it's a bad omen just having it in the house.

Initial Sniff: Wow! What the heck is in this? This scent is hot - smoldering yet volitile.

Wearing: There's something citrus, a little vetiver, sandalwood, and something burnt. This really isn't as unpleasant as I thought it would be! It is very interesting, and very hard to describe.

Final Impressions: It isn't bad, but it something about this makes me feel a little uncomfortable. It's just a tad unsettling. Swaps away!

My goodness, this one just makes me want to purr.

Now that I've been wearing brimstone all of the time I can sense a similarity between them in the smoky, grittiness. However, Djinn is lighter and almost more sensual. Brimstone seems more serious, if that makes any sense. I am now picking out some of the lighter notes in Djinn, which seem to me like pine and perhaps something with a light citrus scent.

To me Djinn doesn't smell like fire. If it smelled hotter or sweeter I could agree with that. Though I could agree with the aftermath of a fire bit. It's almost like smoke coming off of an evergreen forest fire. Yeah, that's it.

Good thing I have a 5ml on the way.

I used to be an altar girl. Djinn reminds when I would prepare and light the incense for special masses. The smoke would curl up around the hot metal container as I walked throughout the church, spreading the smoke, blessing the congregation. For some reason I find this scent very conforting and calming, pretty much the opposite of "unspeakable contempt for man."

Djinn

A swap from phaedrine (and yes, my hands are lovely coconutty goodness today, thank you!).

In the bottle:

Not as harsh as I was expecting. It's a somewhat mild melange of incenses.

Wet:

Sharp incense note (frakincense? myrrh?) and smoke. Aggressively so.

Dry Down:

Sweet herbaceous soapiness with the bitter smoky incense in the background.

Later:

Seems like this blend elicits love/hate reactions. I'm reacting to this the same way I do to Brimstone which is to say that I am simultaneously drawn to and am repelled by this. I can't stop sniffing my wrists, but I also can't stop feeling anxious and angry and in utter turmoil.

I have not had the traumatic experiences with fire that some of y'all have had, so I have no idea why this is making me so damn uneasy.

I actually swapped for this imp to give it to a friend. I don't even know if he likes these kinds of scents, but the name and the connotation is right up his alley. So mostly I'm glad he's going away... but I almost want to try this again to see if I can recreate this mild anxiety attack.

Edited because spelling is not a subjective thing.

Edited by darkitysnark

i actually like thsi one after the initial vetiver scent dies down, at first i was liek oh no but when it dried it is very crisp, smoke, like smoke on a winters night, very masculine, i am making the man wear this one

In the wet phase, Djinn evokes an image of a still-burning landscape scorched by the whims of vastly powerful elementals. The scorched smell mellows into a burning incense smell, but is eventually overridden by a strong soapy smell which suggests the presence of lilies (jasmine would have soaped out instantly on me). Although I'll be swapping away the imp, I'm glad to have experienced Djinn.

well, i'll have to come back to this one and fill in the rest of the review later, because i got distracted after putting djinn on, and there was nothing left of it after about 2 hours.

wet, i definitely smelled the smoke. acrid, like something was burning that shouldn't be. once it dried off, the smoke was mostly gone and i was left with a green scent with a little citrus.

so far none of the blends i've tried have gone quite the way i thought they would. i was hoping for more woodsmoke on this one, but what i ended up with was also nice.

second try:

like cathedral, i'm smelling lush's "tramp". this one is everything except the harsh note, though, unlike cathedral. it's basically the scent of broken stems oozing green sap, with a hint of citrus and a little smoke and wood/resin added in. it went just a tiny bit powdery, nothing near as much as cathedral did.

Edited by shadowsong

i got this along with brimstone and they are similar, but djinn has a much more sharp, acrid tinge to it. it never really mellows out, but stays kind of bitter until i wash it off, on me anyhow. it's not burning wood, but burning metal, maybe. too sharp and masculine for me.

This is incredible.

I'm staying far away from florals because everything seems to make my head and nose feel icky, and a nice handful of soot and smoke seems to be the answer! I can't believe I didn't try this sooner.

Djinn reminds me of two things and can take me to either of these places, depending on which I concentrate on:

1) A campfire in an evergreen wood. The crumbling texture of the burnt logs and smoke drifting through the black night air.

2) A vast temple with thick black columns disappearing into the vaulted ceiling. An enormous stone statue of a god or goddess stands at one end of the room, and braziers burn in the darkness. Incense smoke fills the air -- not any specific incense, just a general sort of wood and coal smell.

Actually, ever see the covers of the first hardbound D&D books? The ones with the statues on them? I think of those!! :P I can just see the adventurers prying the ruby eyes out of the statue's head!

Anyway, this is an immediate favorite. I know that when I wear this people will probably think I just came out of a burning building or was smoking up or something, but as it dries it really becomes more incensy. I imagine it would layer well with a green or wood smell as well and I can see wearing this all year round, as it reminds me of either camping, or a fireplace, or a bonfire. WONDERFUL!!! Must have bottle!!!

In the bottle: Hmm. Just hmm. I tried Brimstone first and hated it. This, luckily, does not have the sharp, biting, Vics Vapo Rub smell that Brimstone has. And it's not nearly as strong.

Wearing: Hmm. I don't know what to make of this. All I know is that I really like it. It is fiery, but it doesn't have the burning wood smell I was expecting. It's spicy, for sure, and while it does kind of smell like fire and ash, at the same time it's sweet and smooth. There's also more than a hint of incense in this, but a full-bodied incense rather than the typical dry, two dimensional smell most incense scents give off.

Later: It gradually smooths out even more, but otherwise doesn't change.

Overall: This is one beautiful scent. While, like I said, it doesn't exactly smell like burning wood, it embodies the symbolic concept of fire perfectly. It's a definite autumnal scent, and for some reason reminds me of the Middle East. A keeper!

ETA: I forgot to mention that, while wearing this, I feel incredibly relaxed and laid back. This would be a good scent to wear when I plan on just hanging out and being comfortable.

Edited by voodoobaby

In the Bottle Sharp, acidic, herbal

Wet ::in best Ralph Wiggum voice::

"It smells like burning!"

fire, metal, heat, sage, darkness. Like woah.

Drydown The fire is slowly being tempered..... and the sage or sweetgrass is emerging. This isn't smokey...... just firey. And metal.... I can't believe the distinctness of the metallic smell. Amazing.

Two Hours Later This is such an uber masculine smell. Not saying that I'd wanna hump a guy wearing this, but damn, this is a man's smell. lol. It's mostly just sage, sweet grass, and embers.

Verdict Time to go shower. It was interesting, and I am glad I got to try it, cause WTF, who else could make a perfume smell like something like that? It's just nothing I would ever ever ever wear. lol.

::in best Beavis voice::

FIRE

lol.

Dark and fiery, with a waft of smoke (woodsmoke? charcoal smoke?). After a bit of wear, something that smells almost like deep cocoa emerges. Not your Swiss Miss cocoa -- the dark expensive kind that's hoardworthy.

Djinn:

Wet: Ashes, fire. This smells a lot like Brimstone to me.

Drydown: :P This smells like my great-grandmother's home. After she passed away, there was a small fire. Djinn smells like her house when we went in to salvage what was left. After a while, this turned to some sort of resin/incense scent.. It's not Amber, perhaps Myrrh?

Long-term wear: That was an odd, old memory to resurface, all because of a scent. I'm a bit mindboggled by this. I seriously doubt I'd wear this often, but it definitely took me for a ride down memory lane.

Extremely dry woods and something herbal/vaguely aquatic...like Water of Notre Dame! Not what I expected at all...

This smells herbal, smokey and like new leather to me. There's also some hint of citrus that adds a sweetness to it. It definately smells warm which makes sense of course. The sweetness of this is surprising and makes it interesting. This would be nice to wear in cool weather. Very unique but not really me. I'm glad I got to try it though.

In Bottle: Wow! Fire and smoke.

On Skin: This is an amazingly potent smoky scent. My eyes are even burning like around a real fire. Ouch! This is very masculine and much too strong for me. If you want to smell like fire and woodsy smoke, here is the simple first choice for you.

djinn.jpg

Amazingly likeable treatment to hardcore ginger! I thought this would be overwhelmingly resinous and assaulting to your sinuses, but it has been teased into being a preternaturally long lasting appealing scent which I would recommend for winter doldrums. I do suspect that there is a dose of almond (burnt) which gives it a "smell something burning in here." lilt. But this genie is big burly and makes a great bodyguard. I feel like I am protected when I put this on, and it's a dark and cosy smell to sleep with.

Could I want a 5ml of this? Well, I don't really think it's that appealing, but I will be curling up with the imp when it's cold damp and rainy outdoors.

Edited by olympia301

very sharp, acrid scent. it's making my nose burn. it's smells of smoke and something metallic. i can't quite place what the 'sharp' note is that i'm smelling. this one is just too strong for me. it *might* smell good on a guy, but i'm not sure.

In the bottle: *swoon* This is like what I would expect a forest fire to smell like - fire, ash, and almost a hint of pine

First on: OMG this is amazing. I want to make out with myself. LOL. Very firey and smouldering.

Drydown: Unfortunately, this retains a very masculine air to it, and it would be hard to pass off on a girl, unless I was going out as a SuperVillain or something. I might have to get a bottle to scent my house with though, and the next bf will be forced to wear it. :P