Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Djinn

... The scent of black smoke, of crackling flames, and smoldering ashes.

Chemical fire afterburn...like burned jet fuel searing the ground. No way for me.

Djinn is one of those scents , that for me at least , has shown how my nose has grown . The first time I smelled Djinn was shortly after I smelled Brimstone . At the time I believe my response to it was " At least it's not as strong as Brimstone ! " . Now of course I have bottles of both & enjoy wearing them , mainly when the weather cools down . This is somewhat similar to one of my favorites , Umbra . It has some of the cedar smell , but not as much . And it has patchouli , of course . But Djinn is much more " fiery " then Umbra , probably has some spices in it to make it so .

So , if you like either Umbra or Brimstone , you'll more then likely enjoy this as well . If you enjoy patchouli & hot smelling spices , this will also be right up your whazoo . It is seriously not as over the top with the wood smell or even the patchouli . It's much more evenly blended , with the spices giving the scent less of a " I'm going to beat you around the head & shoulders all day & you're not going to have any say about it " kind of vibe . Just amazingly well balanced for you fire lovers out there .

If there was ever a scent that captured the essence of Hell, this one is it.

Inside the imp, it's strong STRONG vetiver & brimstone.

I could only dab a drop of this on my skin before I had to wash it off. Way too much on my skin. Heavy vetiver, heavy brimstone, and the smell of burnt flesh on my skin.

In the imp: Incense. Smoky.

Wet: Woody and incensey. This is more of a masculine scent I think!

Dry: Wood. XD

This was very dark and smoky on me, but I think this might have been an aged imp - so take that into account with this review.

I got the smokiness that everyone else is talking about, but it wasn't overly sharp. In the wet stages there seemed to be an almost citrus-y scent underneath, but I didn't get a cloying scent from it. As it dried, the ash tones definitely came out more, and the overall scent brought to mind smoldering embers. It was sweet and smoky, and I ended up enjoying this much more than I thought I would.

Wow, this is a strongly acidic scent with a bright flash of pine - a very male scent. It is only when it is on my skin that a smoky scent appears and softens the pine smell, both warming and darkening the scent a lot - it's like smoke coming from a strongly scented pine tree fire. After a few hours it becomes a much softer smokiness with a slight touch of sweetness, which fades over time. It is quite an unusual and destinctive scent!

"Now hold on a minute; forget what our culture has made of the Djinn. Forget Barbara Eden. Forget Robin Williams. To the people of ancient Arabia, the Djinn was neither cute not funny. It was something else entirely. It was the face of fear itself. [ . . . ] Match wits with a creature older than time? Match wits with a prince of the dark dominions? Pit your tiny twentieth century mind against one who walked the spaces between the worlds, and trod the wings of angels beneath his conquering feet? Alexandra, you're a delight! Really, you are."

- from Wishmaster

Dark, fiery, musky, and very, very masculine, though I think it would be lovely on a woman as well.

On wet it's pure fire, like a vast bonfire crackling away in the night. It's powerful, uncontained and a kind of black fire. As it dries down, it becomes deeper and more incensy, and vetiver adds a touch of smoke, but never so much as to ruin it.

This one lasts for hours, too.

Edited by voorishsign

How very nice. It's a nice kind of fire scent, something very pleasant burning. It's too strong for me to actually wear, but I think this will make a nice room scent.

Out of the bottle: It's warm. It smells like burning and spices, but not in the traditional fireplace way. It reminds me of a more aggressive type of burning, like what happens when the something next to the fire place just starts to catch fire.

On me: it has a warming sensation, just like it smells. The burning smell subsides more into a smokey smell and the spices come to the forefront. There's a sweeter note that I can't quite identify.

In the imp, this is really, really sharp, smelling very much like burning fires and mystical spices. On my skin, it takes on a bit more of a colognish smell. Hurm.

I've been chomping at the bit to try this - I love bonfire and smoke scents and thought this would be an interesting one. On my skin, I was surprised by how metallic I found this. In fact, and I know this comparison is going to sound completely nuts, it reminded me of a really dark version of Spinning Multicolored Metallic Pinwheel...none of the sugar, but that same aluminum. Djinn is sharp, kind of lemony and weird. It didn't really smell like smoke or scorched remains to me, but then again, I haven't been around a lot of fires that weren't wood or paper based. Unfortunately, as Djinn dried, I began to get strong associations of lemon-scented industrial cleaner. I'm not sure if the scent itself actually changed, or if my brain just finally answered the question of "what am I smelling." Either way, what had been an odd but fascinating scent became seriously unpleasant. Wish I hadn't put it behind my ears!

Color associations: duochrome black with metallic yellow.

My skin amps cedar, so I'm getting burnt cedar logs from this, and maybe a bit of vetiver. Some pine as well, I think. This is similar to Brimstone, but a bit greener.

This is very strong when opening up on my skin. I smell vetivert and patchouli with cedar and smoke essence. Very masculine and dry.

Softens and sweetens slightly on drydown, after my chemistry has attempted to turn it into powdered sugar, as it's wont to do. The smoke smells much better and sweeter now. Strange.. this turns into a masculine version of Hunger on me? Not bad, however I would only apply at home because of the overwhelming strength as it settles.

On a positive note, this cleared my stuffy nose. The downside is that now I can actually smell it, and it smells like Chinese medicine. I get something pine-y in this too. It's interesting, and overall it's not unpleasant, but it's not for me.

Won this in a raffle as part of a collection inspired by the TV show Supernatural. After reading the description, I wasn't sure about it, and after reading some of the reviews knew it was a real love it or hate it scent.

In the imp: Something woody. And menthol.

Wet: The menthol kicks up, almost like Vicks Vapo-Rub, but without the eucalyptus.

Dry down: Menthol tones down, but is still there. But smoke blooms, with an almost acrid hot metal scent fading in and out.

Dry: It's been said before, but really, it smells like burning. I was afraid it would be too masculine for me, but it's amazing.

(possible TMI) At certain times of the month it goes very sweet, but still smoky. A smokehouse burning applewood maybe? Still good, but not at all like it is the rest of the month.

Overall: I like this a lot more than I thought I might. I feel powerful and almost dangerous when I wear it. Definitely not an everyday scent, but one to keep in my arsenal.

In the imp, this one smells purely smoky to me. Once it dries, though, it settles into warm and shimmery with just a hint of smoke. It lasts all day, too. My nose isn't experienced enough to identify the individual notes well yet, but I like it!

Second wearing: Green! Very pine-and-cedar forest, with some smoke in the background. I'm surprised by how different it is this time.

Edited by TeaOtter

:::DJINN:::

Alot of excitement is whirling about in the frothier revolutions inspired by the notions of the fragrance that is Djinn.

Just imagine the vinyl that would get spun, the lights, the reverbating basslines! ( a funny? )

Seriously, the Lab personifying a spiritual entity originating from the scorching dunes, beneath impossible firmaments in the geography where the Occidental religions of the earth all began is quite the thrill!

Although no specific notes were listed, this also quickens the pulse as anticipation of something truly otherworldly is promised! From the Imp: Scimitar-sharp! There is definitely a glittering, metallic ping that swirls up from the uncapping.

( Do I get three wishes even if I didn't rub it first? )

There is something very Cedar-ish about the early impression... Perhaps Lebanese in origin.

There are also Cardamomy bits, citrus peel, Black Pepper, and only the slightest smokiness.

Djinn is, in fact, quite refreshing at this stage.

This seems as though it would right at home in a cocktail bar or a discotheque.

There is also the teensiest smooch of Vetiver.

Yeah, Djinn is the wilder sorceries of the desert meets the sultrier exoticisms of tropical grasses.

Surely the burning is here somewhere, but for now there is more to fear from something toxic yet beguiling that is secreted in the whispering shadows of tall grasses.

On the Skin: This fragrance is amazing! The allusion to flames, smoke, and scorching may be just a little misleading, though. If anything, being consumed by a rogue star ot being thrown directly into the sun itself could be a parallel.

Djinn is SO bright, SO clean, SO fresh!

This is humid, vibrant, electric greenery.

This is volatile and euphoric.

Djinn seems as though it was created with Him in mind.

Djinn goes well with mustache wax, pomade, and a polka-dot neck-tie.

For the voracious dandy!

5 out of 5.

I thought this was going to be another Brimstone, but moreso. I was expecting nothing but "fire smoke and ash" as per the description.

But there are some sweet and noble notes all through it, making it something very special. It was a scent of great power rising from the ashes. It's a definite keeper. It's going in my impworthy pile for now, but I might promote it to bottleworthy after a few more wearings....

In the bottle: I ARE MANLY, HEAR ME ROAR AND CRUSH THINGS!!! firepits, tanneries, ashes, and pine forests. bacon, maybe. it's like all the things I _don't_ want to smell like (ok, not all, but enough to make my lip curl).

On my skin: more ashes, more heated leather. charcoal. rough, unfriendly. it stays incredibly masculine for me, and while I like unique scents, this just doesn't work for me. it's very powerful and lingers, so I guess that's good if you want to smell like a bonfire. sort of nostalgic for summer bonfires on the beach, but not enough to make me wear it ever again.

Last thoughts: I don't fancy smelling like a firepit or a tannery. Or a dude who's trying to smell like "the great outdoors". Interesting scent, in that it's exactly like charcoal and heated leather, but most definitely not for me.

Not as strong as Jezirat al Tennyn that one burnt my sinuses and I couldn't get it off no matter how hard I scrubbed.

This is vetiver and wood, it's a wood smoke not a cigarette smoke. Something underneath is amping sweetness and it clashes with the lovely wood smoke. It ends up as sweet, perfumey wood smoke. Not for me.

In the bottle: It doesn't seem particularly fiery. Woody, perhaps. Green sandalwood wet with oil, ready to light.

On me: A little smokier, dryer. Like a cedar sauna, with a hint of pine boughs. Nordic.

1 hour+ later: Dry cedar, light smoke and wet rose? Possibly some kind of sweeter incense? Myrrh perhaps? (I have no idea what that smells like.) It lasted strong for several hours, then dropped off almost completely just before I went to note the scent down, so that's making it tricky to describe. I think I get quenched iron in there as well, like the smell of a blacksmith shop, if the smith were working over a wood fire.

Oooh this is kind of great, very heavy though, and smokey. This is going on the Must to be Buying list. Oh, and lasts and lasts.

On me, I get none of the smoke/ash/burning upon initial application...all my nose is getting is pine and something vaguely...lemony. There's something preventing either from being too sharp, but I can't pick out what it is--however, within 10 minutes, it dries down to a strong smoke with a hint of pine--I totally get the impression of a pine tree burning from this, although it's a bit more complex than just that! Not sure this'll be a bottle-worthy scent, however I love how evocative this is...and I'll definitely be using my imp :)

Wet: Sharp, merciless smoke. I also get a hint of something sweet and burnt green.

On my wrist: The sharpness has gotten really strong, charging right up my nose. This scent is intense.

After a few hours: I can't really smell Djinn as much as I can feel it. When I try to smell my wrist, I get very little at first, but the after effect charges at me with full force. Then at times when I least expect it the scent of burnt ruins floats past my nose.

While it doesn't really work on its own on me, this would be a very interesting scent to layer over something pretty and floral. I definitely want to keep the imp at least, and I want to give Djinn another go.

Another Lab frimp!

In the imp -- sweeter and more fragrant than I'd expected, sort of spicy tea.

Wet -- incensy, sort of like cologne.

Drydown -- reminds me of the cologne + fire smell of Fire Eater. Uh oh, that was a bad one for me.

Dry -- getting more of the fire smell now, hoping it gets smokier because this is too sharp and somehow ozoney for my taste. I know it's weird to talk about ozone with fire, but that's how I perceive it. It's a piney sort of note that bites my nose and hits me in the gut, gives me a sort of gurgle in the belly, not from hunger, but from emptiness.

Later -- it's very clearly smouldering cinders, not a pleasant wood fire or anything smoky.

This is not something I want to wear, but I'm glad I got to try it. Very evocative and quite an achievement.