Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Djinn

... The scent of black smoke, of crackling flames, and smoldering ashes.

From start to finish this is like sooty fireplace + lemon cleaner. An interesting earthy note emerges occasionally but is overwhelmed by Sooty Lemon. Blech. Not for me.

Initial impression:

Stingy spices! Is that basil? Something like it, and maybe ginger.

First on:

It definately smells like dry ginger now, with hints of basil in the background. Very firey!

Dry:

After about 10 mins, it smells dry, hot, scorching, smoldering – ginger and basil, but intense. Woah! Fitting the description.

20-30 mins after application, it's a lot milder, but still fitting of the description.

Finally:

Fascinating to try! Not to me, but it was a cool experience. :P Or a hot one, I should say.

Bottle: (Imp) Woah. *choke* Smokey. How do you put that in a bottle? o_O

Wet: Still pretty choking. Why do I insist on trying dang near everything anyway?

Dry: Tamer smokey and.. mm, spices.

Verdict: It's nice, but I have issue with the whole choking stage. Swap pile!

This smells like pure cleaner on me. No smoke. Weird!!! I smell juniper for some reason. :P Icky. I'll have to try it again later and then probably swap it off.

That was definitely weird. The first time I put it on I could not tell what this really smells like, somehow I did not think it smells like smoke.

Until the day my parents had a fire burning for the heating the first time this year and everything was reeking of smoke. I was standing in the room where my mom does the laundry and kept sniffing.

Yep. Laundry detergent and smoke, that is Djinn for me.

This one smells peculiar and strong. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but the scent is hard to describe. Vaguely leathery with a hint of ozone. Vaguely desert smelling, but with a note I think of as vaguely watery. Vaguely smelling of ash, but not strongly enough to disturb. This is a strangely middle eastern counterpart to R'yleh, the drier fiery version. I think I like it, though it is more heavy than I generally would chose. It degrades unpleasantly with long wear. I am guessing patchouli is the culprit here, but I'm not sure. In any case, it loses it's subtlety and really starts bugging me, so no.

BEST. BPAL. SCENT. EVER.

PERIOD.

I was very close to not even trying this. Thank god for imp gluttony.

Where to begin? This is replacing Wolf's Heart as my everyday, and this is why: I like oils that bring about a sense of confidence and self assurance. Whereas Wolf's Heart did this in a calm, almost brotherly way, Djinn does the exact opposite. If we were to humanize these scents, Wolf's Heart would be a warm, compassionate and forgiving soul. Djinn is the evil twin. Djinn has no soul, and that is his strength. He answers to nobody but himself. He's a loner.

Smell: Djinn is pungent and creates a slight dryness/tickle in the back of my throat. This is a jet-black smell. I smell a million Decembers in here, cinnamon, and dark dryness.

This oil brings out the sinister in me. I feel I can accomplish ANYTHING wearing this. Dare I say this makes me feel almost god-like? This oil has such a ferocious and unrelenting presence to it. This is a cologne for the most sinister, ruthless and unforgiving gentlemen around. It is the smell of der Übermensch; success by way of sheer force and raw power. Djinn will step on your toes, and as you wince he will take great pleasure in his mind but he will remain stone faced as he stares you down. Deviance multiplied by infinity.

However, saying all of this, I am well aware that my tastes tend to be rather eclectic and I would consider myself a bit of a bad-natured human and not the "good person" most people aspire to be. If my description doesn't sound like you then this may not really be something you're into. The smell is almost vile, and it makes me feel like a million sins being channelled through my mind in a nanosecond.

This stuff is FIERCE. You've been thoroughly warned!

imp: sharp and green , like grass and herbs.

wet: green but covered by smoke. quite nice despite how unusual it smells.

dry: no more smoke, just a sharp, green scent.

Edited by hkhm

In the bottle: Metallic lemon. Smells like toilet bleach! It put me off applying it, but I persevered as I'm learning that BPAL scents can and do change on you.

Wet: Less chemical cleaner, more clear lemon/citronella (thank goodness!) and a hint of cinnamon.

Dry: Lemon calms down and a smokier note comes through - think this is vetiver - but it's not very strong on me.

Summary: Not one I'd buy, but nice to have tried. Not as intense as I expected. Might make an interesting room spray though!

in the imp: undefinable citrus and something like fire, without being smoky, if that makes any amount of sense.

wet on skin: it smells like lemon oil and fire. like i sat eating lemons next to a bonfire. it's not unpleasant but it's not really appetizing either.

dry down: like i walked through a building that was full of burning plastic and then doused with lemon juice. not pleasant.

in all: nope. not liking it. :P

A lot of previous reviews mention incense and vetiver, smoke and cinnamon. I smell not a single one of these.

In the imp: Sharp and unpleasant.

Wet: Cedar.

Dry: I can describe this fragrance on me in 2 words-- HAMSTER CAGE.

:P

I received this in an imp swap and HAD to try it right away because of how polarizing it was.

Imp: It smells like wet cement blocks. Those type with the two holes you use to build cheap plywood bookcases in frosh year of university.

Wet: It smells damp. It retains some of the cement block feel. Then it picks up the smokiness and starts to amp the citrus. It kind of smells like a liquid smoke/lemon rind marinade.

Dry: Concrete and lemons. It's a very industrial scent and it's fairly true through the drydown. I've lost all of the smokiness, though. There's absolutely no sweetness or softness to it. This is a hard, cold scent.

Throw: I put this on the crook of my arm and could smell it a lot for the first few hours. Now I can still smell it if I get my nose close to my elbow. A little of this goes a long, long way.

Overall: I'll probably try to swab it on the boy or a few of my male friends and see if it agrees with them more.

In the bottle this has a neat smoky burning wood smell, and is very masculine. Pretty interesting. However when my husband put it on it smelled like someone set the Christmas tree on fire. Very strong fir tree type smell underneath smoke. While it wasnt a particularly bad smell, it definetly isnt for us.

I sniffed this in the imp and it was pure cedar. Nice, but not for me, I thought.

Put some on. After a few minutes some interesting spicy notes started to emerge. Still lots of cedar. Very warm. Gender neutral, but not strictly guy smelling, to my nose. My mom even said it smelled good on me, and she is picky. lol. I didn't get the nasty smoke issue other people have reported, thankfully.

On the whole, a pleasant surprise! I like.

OMGWTFBBQ.

For real. Smells like BBQ sauce. There was a burst of something astringent and reminiscent of eucalyptus at first, and then it turned into astringent BBQ sauce. And...I don't think this one is for me. At all. :P

At first this smells just like Agnes Nutter to me, which isn't a surprise. But where Agnes dried down into an autumn bonfire (and took her time to get there) Djinn is quickly becoming lighter and...not sweeter, but less acrid. Its a scent that stays in my nose after I pull away from my wrist.

A few minutes later it smells almost gingery and green along with the smoke. I'm reminded of this bottle of ash that my father has in his basement. Its from when Mount St. Helens erupted way back whenever, and when I was little I always wanted to touch that ash. It looked as heavy as sand, but it felt like touching a cloud.

I really like Djinn and I did not expect to. Its the scent of something both terribly destructive and full of life at the same time.

This was a frimp that my mother gave to me, and the scent in the imp - dark and spicy and smoky - intrigued me.

On me it hardly morphs at all, though after an hour or so I get a vague hint of citrus to go along with this exotic, firey smell. (I'm not even convinced it's lemon, it's just . . . citrus.) It's unrelenting, dark, and dangerously sexy. I love it to bits. It's got a nice throw, though sadly only seems to stick around for about 3-4 hours on me.

I'm getting a 5 mL of it, not least of all because of my fiance's response. He's been very good with my new BPAL obsession, and makes sure to tell me if he likes or doesn't like this or that or is generally pleased by my scent, but he's not especially involved, exactly (which, really, I don't expect; he's not the one wearing it!). This one made him sit up and take notice, very curious about what exactly I was wearing and very complimentary. :P

I said recently (in the Dragon Moon update thread, re: Ifrit) that Djinn didn't quite work with my chemistry, but today I thought I should give it another chance now that it's had time to age a little. And I think I'll have to retract my previous statement!

Djinn was the first BPAL scent I ever tried, and it was never horrifically bad on me, just a little too green. It used to remind me of High John the Conqueror fresh on my skin -- all intense green herbs, with a hint of something dark and bitter.

My imp is about 9 months old now, and it seems aged Djinn just smells of smoke and ash. It's a little less acrid than it used to be, a bit darker, and still a little hostile. Much less green. I love it. :P I still wouldn't wear it as a "me" perfume, but that's not really what I bought it for in the first place; I just want it to take me to the desert at dusk, fires in the distance, smoke and sand and dark things moving in the shadows. It does that now.

This one was on my wishlist for a long time, because BPAL's smoke scents really intrigue me ever since I tried Bonfire Night. I finally got this as a frimp or in a swap, I now forget which.

In the imp: intriguingly smoky.

Wet: church incense and graham crackers. Huh?

Drydown: lemon pine tree.

ETA: One hour later: morphed into: Crayola crayon.

Where is my smoke??

Edited by Czarina

in the bottle and on my arm adn dry...

all i can smell in toilet cleaner :P

occasionally lemony... occasionally pine..

I see another poster said lemon pinetree... just add some chemical cleaner in and id agree

how sad as i adore the name

It smells of smoke, ash, and the desert. And a slight whiff of burnt Arabian spices. It's odd...not bad, and would probably smell very good on a man.

Bottle: Smoke

Wet: Similar to brimstone but less harsh.

Drydown: Again, I'm amazed out how Beth and the Lab were able to take an idea and turn it into a scent,

a scent captured so perfectly. I'm not fond of this, but it's exactly what the label says.

2.0 outta 5

In Vial: green, clean , slightly astringent

Wet: Wow! This smells strong. Smells very woodsy with a mix of man's cologne

Drydown:This smells more manly to me. It still smells woodsy but I'm not gettig pine.

Cinnamon and smoke, and acrid burning bits. The cinnamon is quite nice until the burning bits explode in my nose...wow, does my skin amp these or what. So Djinn is a no go, but for smoke lovers, I think it would be very appealing.