Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Kimocean

Kindly Moon

Utterly ethereal, an exquisite expression of love: moonflower, lotus root, white gardenia, beeswax, peach blossom, blue musk, stargazer lily, golden osmanthus, ti, sandalwood, hyacinth, ylang ylang, and a touch of vanilla bean.

The beeswax was almost enough to get me to order a bottle of this despite all the florals (because Luperci is one of my all-time faves) but in the end there were just too many strong perfumey flowers listed for me to take a chance.

Trying a decant, though, I immediately swoon -- what a gorgeous, sweet, glassy floral blend! I could really get into this in the spring I think. Lotus and moonflower stand out at first, but even for a person like me who doesn't typically wear florals this is sooo beautiful. So clear, sweet and almost aquatic in tone; flowers floating in a perfectly clear pond reflecting back the blue sky.

It reminds me in a way of when I started trying out BPAL scents, I wound up with a lot of florals, but I haven't worn them much since then. It especially reminds me of the ones that are sweet lotus blends, like Black Lotus. I know lotus ROOT is different, but I still smell a similarity.

I think the blue musk is giving it this glassy, aquatic quality. But with these white, crisp florals it's like...an underwater funeral.

I don't smell the woods or beeswax but since it doesn't dissipate immediately and has some throw, I think they are helping this to project and last on my skin. I don't really smell vanilla either but the sweetness could be its evidence.

Moonflower, lotus, gardenia and lily are all things that I would normally avoid but this is an atypical, glowing, ghostly blue scent. It's a mermaid's funeral. I will save it for the spring most likely though, and I am quite good with a decant -- I only crave florals maybe two weeks out of the year!

Lovers of Ophelia might like this, since it's another sweet, watery white floral with surprising twists.

wow. this is my first ever BPAL purchase and review - i'm waiting for an order but i found this one on ebay. i wanted something for the meantime, and the description sounded completely unlike anything i have, so i went for it. so glad i did -

i love gardenia and white florals and have worn them in the past. but kindly moon is different, because this feels like white floral and is so seamlessly blended that it's hard to figure exactly which. it has a gorgeous coldness that's grounded by the fruitiness (peach, i think). to me, it goes in an out of feeling warm and cool. wet, it smells more juicy, like fresh fruit, and seems to dry down to a more floral and creamy scent. this is a beautiful scent, and would be perfect for hot weather, but i won't hesitate to wear this year-round.

this oil is potent and seems to last very well on me. i used the tiniest little dab! if all of the black phoenix scents are so concentrated and long-lasting, i will be veryvery happy.

i'll update when this dries down completely.

KINDLY MOON

In Bottle: Fruity floral

On Skin: The first thing I get from this scent is shampoo. Seriously, it smells like shampoo! Which is not a bad thing, I used to work in a salon and I would just go around smelling all the shampoos because I loved all the sweet fruity ones. I smell gardian right away, gorgeous and creamy, the perfect floral. I also smell the stargazer lily and ylang ylang. The other florals blend in very well with these. White Moon was much too floral on me, Kindly moon is more gentle and sweet. I can handle this one. The vanilla bean and lotus soften the sometimes sour feel of multiple florals and the blue musk is delicious and velvety! Wow! It does give the scent a light blue feel, combined with the slightly aquatic/ozone feel I’m getting from some of the florals. I can’t really smell the sandalwood. I do get a fruity note as well which must be the peach blossom. I’m happy I ordered 2 bottles. Light to medium throw and short to average wearlength.

I have to agree that KM is seamlessly blended, but I think I'm getting all of the florals with a hint of peach and little of the sandalwood or vanilla. Maybe they will peek out as the day goes on. This is a yummy, sweet blend, and I adore white florals, so yay!

In the vial: fruity floral.

Wet: very floral.

Dry: This blend is beautiful once it dries down. All of the components blend together seamlessly. I will enjoy my decant and I may need to find a bottle.

first and foremost i was certain because of the notes in this blend that it was not

for me.... lily, hyacinth and ylang ylang rarely work with my chemistry...i am so glad i took a chance and got a big bottle :D

straight sniff is delicious floral and fruit concoction...once applied it amps

up...the floral and fruit but what makes this work for me is undoubtedly the touch

of vanilla bean :D ... the vanilla tempers the florals and makes this just amazingly beautiful and a perfect perfume for me...i love it :P

Kindly Moon-

In Bottle: Oh, wow, that's deliciously fruity. Is that...apricot?

Wet: More florals now, light, nice.

Dry: A simple, lightly aquatic floral. Fades rather quickly on me, but it's gentle, for all that.

Overall: Nice. Simple.

bottle: fruit and flowers. oh my but it is girly. I smell the peach blossom quite a bit here, but it's not the only thing i smell.

wet: on my skin the peach instantly amps. I hope I'm not having the bellini problem again. I can smell something resinous beneath it, and I'm enjoying that quite a bit. I already like this better than Peony Moon for me, though it is quite feminine and so I would probably only wear it when I wanted something different than my usual dirty hippie vibe.

dry: a floral blend. I can smell the lilies, and they haven't gone to soap the way they usually do. the peach blossom has moved back, obligingly. it's quite, quite pretty, and atypical of the earthy resinous scents I really like.

but I'll hang onto the bottle, for those times that I want to smell girly and femme.

I get absolutely no fruit in this, and the lotus root which had previously thwarted me at every turn was almost non-existent. But what was there was an ethereal, luminescent blend that was feminine and inviting and wafted around me like a sheer veil of gorgessity!!!! I will cherish Kindly Moon!!!! :P

Edited by purplegirl

Fruity floral in the bottle and on my skin. Light, delicate, lovely.

It is, as other have noted, seamlessly blended. I could very well see this bottle being a commercial scent.

Not sure how I feel about this one... usually pear is something I LOVEEEE...And I do LIKE this... but the pear blended with the floral gives off just a tinge of something "sour" on my skin... I'll have to try this one again to be sure :P

I have found my signature scent!

I just love how it's soft, sweet and utterly ethereal. It has hint of coolness and is a bluish-green kind of fruity/floral. As it wafts, it's like being engulfed in a clean, comforting and gentle embrace. I can't single out any of the notes as they are so well-blended together. I also adore that it is unobtrusive enough for daily office wear. I have 4 bottles but I need to find more :P. I wonder how many bottles I'd need for the rest of my life :D.

Edited by mandragora

I have absolutely no idea how to describe this. It stays very true from bottle to application to drydown, and it's very beautiful -- but the notes are all so subtle that I can't really separate them out, and can only talk about Kindly Moon in terms of its overall effect.

It's floral, very feminine, and the fruity element is sweet without being cloying. There is absolutely nothing earthy, spicy, or musky about it -- and yet I like it a lot.

Very ethereal, evanescent, and really hard to pin down. But a really good treatment of the floral theme.

Poor Kindly got a bit lost in a rush of other bottles which arrived around the same time. Twice I picked up the bottle because I didn't recognize it by label out of the corner of my eye!

But I really like it, and now I am ready to tell the world.

Bottle: Sweet and fruity.

On: Gentle sweet florals of just the type I have been loving lately (Annabel Lee, Arkham, Wolf Moon). Too many for any one to truly dominate. There's almost a tea note, as well (though there's no tea in here) - something crisp and light.

This is a decant from jewelbug! :P

In the imp: Fruity florals.

On Skin: Wet, lush, fruity. It does smell a bit like either my Herbal Essences shampoo or conditioner.

On Drydown: I can smell a hint of the lotus, which makes this blend sweet. Overall, it's a complex lush floral.

Verdict: I really enjoy this, but I don't see myself wearing it too often. It can be an overwhelming experience. I enjoy the scent but wonder if I would ever go through an entire bottle.

I mainly bought a bottle of this because it’s my birth month, and you have to get your birth month. But I really wasn’t sure – all of the florals had me a bit scared. But, it was my birth month, plus reading Beth’s comment that it was velvety had me sold.

In the bottle, it’s a sweet floral, slightly fruity.

Once applied, oh my God, this is beautiful. It’s a slightly watery scent, a soft, sweet, gentle floral. It’s very soothing and comforting. Kindly is such an appropriate name for this moon.

The combination of sandalwood and blue musk with the stargazer lily, moonflower and other elements in this scent takes it well beyond the standard floral scent. This is soft, and glowing , watery without going aquatic. If blue musk is responsible, then I may just follow blue musk to the ends of the earth, it’s that beautiful. Velvety is an apt description. I’m so glad that I got 2 bottles of this.

Edited by cranberry

Kindly Moon - This is such a pretty scent. I'm very surprised by the scent description because I thought for sure I'd find some sort of fruit in the blend, not just fruit blossoms. Kindly Moon smells like a beautiful, pink, fruity-floral blend on me. It's incredibly well-blended and I really can't identify any of the notes in this blend, even those that I know and love well. They all work together with such amazing synergy as to become something incredibly beautiful, otherworldly, and completely new. I get tons of compliments when I wear Kindly Moon.

In the imp: lots of beautiful soft gardenia and a few other gentle florals to sweeten it further.

On me, wet: whoa the gardenia. The other florals have taken on a commercial-perfume-ish tinge, but there's a warmth and a depth to this that's quite wonderful.

On me, dry: this is beautiful. Very light and airy florals - the perfumey tinge has burnt off but it's still got a hitn of warmth from the sandalwood and vanilla.

Verdict: Definitely keep the imp around, and maybe seek out a bottle if I find myself reaching for it often enough.

On my skin, it smells a lot like the now-discontinued Plumeria scent from Bath and Body Works.

Ditto! My first thought was PLUMERIA! My second thought was WITH MUSK!

Sweet floral, thought not overly so, backed with musk. I feel this musk really compliments the florals, which is unusual for me. (I usually feel like I'm caught dead center in a battle between the two, and end up with a migraine.)

It's a little to powerful to be an everyday scent for me- too strong and heavy for office wear. I also made the mistake of slathering before an hour long car ride, and it made me queasy.

However, if I were going out for a walk in the spring, just as the trees were budding, there's nothing I'd rather smell like!

Edited by jessu

In the bottle:

Pretty. A complex floral - too complex for me to be sure about the notes. In terms of florals, I think I smell the moonflower, gardenia, and lily. I don't know what a lot of these other florals smell like, though, so I could be getting some of those as well and just be unable to ID them. I think I smell the vanilla, too. It smells perfumey and sweet. The vanilla gives it a subtle, yummy dimension.

Wet:

Bitter :P Well, that's not right. But it's not the sweet floral it was in the bottle - it's a very heavy, heady floral, very thick, very PERFUME. I think maybe it's the hyacinth...? Or the ylang ylang?

Dry down:

Well, it's better, but there's still some note... when I just catch a whiff of the perfume, it is GORGEOUS and exactly what I was hoping it would be - mostly moonflower, lily, touch of vanilla, I can't identify the other notes... but when I smell it up close, that offensive floral is too prominent. It is dying down as it dries down, though...

Final thoughts:

Hey, maybe I just overapplied. The whiffs I catch are really nice, so maybe it will live up to what I was hoping it would be. We'll see...

In the bottle:

Osmanthus!

On me:

Osmanthus is the first thing that pops out on me with Kindly Moon. For some reason, Osmanthus is always very strong on my skin and always smells sor tof boozey to me. Before long, this settles into a softer scent - slightly sweet and definitely fruity. Kind of floral too, but not in a very apparent way, I would describe this more as fruity than floral. The beeswax and vanilla keep this slightly sweet but not overwhelmingly so.

The peach blossom comes through in this though and I think that's what gives this a fruity vibe. It's just a very clear, uplifting, feminine blend that is a little hard to describe.

Final note:

As I said, this is a little hard to describe. There are a lot of elements coming together in this scent and it works perfectly well together. A beautiful scent that makes me think of the word "clarity".

On first sniff, this is a cool floral, sweet and calming. It's very complex, as well--I'm having trouble separating the individual notes from each other. There's definitely moonflower and ylang ylang, but it's all a gorgeous mesh of pale florals. Over time, the vanilla gets a bit more pronounced, but for the most part this doesn't morph on me. This is beautiful.

This smells a lot like Dragon Moon mixed with Black Moon, which is great, because I love both.

Kindly Moon is a delicious, warm, comforting aquatic floral. I've always loved moonflower, and it works to great effect here, blending with my "difficult" note, lily - which often smells amazing in the bottle but less so on my skin - to make a perfect accord. The mood of Kindly Moon is gentle, yet actually somewhat sensual, and that's probably due in part to the blue musk. The peach note rounds the whole thing out.

Kindly Moon is nothing if not round. It's a wear-anywhere scent with just the right measures of light sweetness and mystery. I'm thrilled with my bottle.

Edited by LadyMedb

Wet this is sweet fruit- maybe melons. When first on this is thick, wet florals and fruit/melons, a bit similar to Mi-Go (but not quite as foody). This must be the peach- for some reason, Beth's peach always smells like melons to me at first. I can also smell the dewy moonflower which I love. This develops into a watery, dewy, fruity and floral blend similar to Black Moon. This is very calming and feminine- beautiful! :P

Wow. Ethereal, yes in very deed. Moonflower is one of the very few floral notes that prick my ears up when I hear it's in a blend. Kindly Moon definitely has noticeable moonfloweriness going on, which is a good thing. Besides that, and a hint of peachiness, I'm having a hard time picking out notes in this one. It is totally floral for sure, not heady but instead fragile and ethereal and moonlit. Which basically describes the only type of floral I ever enjoy, and even so it isn't something I grab a lot. Kindly Moon smells exquisite and expensive, and I do appreciate it's beauty. That being said, I don't wear it much. Because it is a floral, and I'm so very rarely in the mood for that. But for what it is, it is perfection.

5 out of 5, despite the fact that I don't wear much, because it is gorgeous.