Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Aizen-Myoo

... Yuzu, kaki, and mikan with cherry blossom and black tea.

In the imp: A citrus scent like grapefruit, but even more tart and bitter (yummy!). I can detect astringent black tea if I sniff deeply.
Wet on me: Mmm, getting a bit sweeter and juicier.
Dry on me: Positively insanely citrussy! Really tart and uplifting. This makes me feel happy like a little kid who's just been given a present. :P

Cherry blossom is pretty much stomped on by the grapefruit-like citrus, but then it would pretty much have to be, wouldn't it?

This won't be to everyone's taste, clearly, but for a Florida girl like me who grew up big and strong on grapefruit it's a delight. :D

ETA: About 90 minutes later the citrus has chilled out considerably and now the cherry blossom's peeking through. At this stage it smells soft and friendly, like a very pretty citrus lotion. Would be great to go shopping in :D Edited by Shollin

I don't really know how to describe what I'm smelling when I sniff Aizen-Myoo. I really liked the name, and the mention of cherry blossom and black tea sounded nice in the description. However, this is one of my 'disappointment' blends. :P

This has a sweet, slightly synthetic smell on my skin that I don't find pleasant. I can't relate what I'm smelling to the 'citrus' that most people seem to use to describe this scent. I think my nose needs training!! This will be swapped off to someone who may like it more than I do.

In the imp, Aizen-Myoo is mouth-wateringly sharp yuzu. Wet on my skin, the tea emerges, very dry, and something sweet - maybe the kaki/persimmon? After a few minutes it becomes a wonderful, tangy fruit scent with touches of floral and citrus. It's very fresh and light with a delicious bite to it.

After about 10 minutes on my skin, it turns astringent - I think the tea and cherry blossom are emerging and dominating, and though the yuzu does pop back in and out, I'm ultimately left with a flat and powdery cherry/tea combo that is oversweet and kind of unpleasant. Boo, chemistry!

I wish it could have stayed in the ripe persimmon phase - that was delightful and juicy.

In the Imp: A bitter citrus smell, almost like resin or sap.

Wet on skin: The citrus smell gives way to a sweeter, almost fruity-floral scent! Very surprising, very soft and almost glittering.

Dry on skin: Like a juicy kind of exotic fruit, mixed with sweet yet soft flowers.

Overall: This one really surprised me. It turned from biter-smelling in the imp to a lovely, complex and soft scent. I really like it, and I'm definately considering getting a bottle!

I smell mostly passion fruit in this, first off. After wearing it for a bit it smells more like grapefruit. I like how it is so sharp and crisp. Unfortunately, this turns to soap on me very fast.

This is my kick-ass, good-impression-making, job interview scent. Aizen-Myoo makes me feel so happy and confident... it's bittersweet and herbal in the imp, and makes me think of Christmas for some reason -- maybe it smells like holly and evergreens a bit? It's really lovely, and my favorite stage is when it's on my wrists, still wet, with that delicious bittersweet fruity smell. Then the cherry blossom comes in and the fruit sweetens up, and all of a sudden the snow has melted and it's spring. A little too sweet near the end, but otherwise -- perfect. (A frimp, too! But one of my favorites.)

This is totally zippy, zingy and thoroughly citrus in the imp and for about...15-20 minutes...on me. And then, little by little, the citrus dies down quite a bit, and something sweet and cherry pops out. Eventually, it smells like I'm wearing cherry limeade.

However, that's a good thing: as much as I like that initial citrusy punch, I also like smelling like cherry limeade. My only vexation with this scent is that it doesn't last nor throw as well as I'd like.

Review:

In the bottle: Holy grapefruit batman!

Wet: Grapefruit and guava.

Drydown: still grapefruit and guava but it's more subtle and no IN MY FACE like my first impression.

Verdict: I avoid grapefruit scents usually since they’re not really me. But I can appreciate this scent lots because it smells very “pulled together”. I’d imagine all those bunches of women who love grapefruit type scents would looooove this .

This is the grapefruit scent I've been dying for! None of the others I tried (Baobhan Sith, Croquet, Cheshire Cat) worked on me, but Aizen-Myoo is exactly what I was hoping for. I love yuzu and have a bottle of yuzu EO that I use alone or to layer with other scents that I wish had more citrus.

IMP: grapefruit and fruity white florals

WET: tart juicy grapefruit sweeteened with a fruity white floral (I guess that's the cherry blossom) and deepened with a drop of black tea.

DRY: A lovely smoky black tea (think Lapsang Souchong) with citrus and faint cherry blossom

I wish the in-your-face yuzu/grapefruit note lasted longer, but this is a really nice, fresh clean citrus scent without the cloying florals that ruin other citrus scents for me, and with some smoky tea to give it depth and keep it from being too airy and simple. I love this and will definitely order a bottle, and I'll layer it with yuzu EO to keep the citrus going longer.

:P

Citrusy in a tangerine sort of way – that must be the yuzu. I don’t really get the black tea or cherry blossom on my skin even when it dries though I was pretty sure I got the cherry blossom from the vial. Something more floral emerges after half an hour which I really like – I assume it’s the cherry blossom.

Since I don't really know what any of the individual notes in this one smell like, I can't really pick them out at all. Someone above mentioned a tangerine-y smell, and I can agree with that. it's a very sweet fruit-floral witha little bit of a kick to it. I do really like it... unfortunately, it's almost completely faded away after only abour 2 hours of wear. :P

--M

imp: like a cross between kumquats and grapefruit. more tangy than a kumquat but a bit more sweet than a grapefruit. very crisp!

wet: oh, now that smells more like yuzu. very strong yuzu with a slight sweetness in it (not likely the persimmon as that almost never smells sweet to me). i don't smell any other notes here.

dry: still citrusy. the yuzu is a bit less distinct, i'm imagining lemonade as seen through late summer sunshine.

This was recommended to me by someone in my introductory post, when I mentioned how much I love citrus scents. They did not steer me wrong!

In the imp, it's all tart and citrus-y (like grapefruit zest).

Wet, on my skin, it's still a really nice, bright citrus.

Thirty minutes later, there's still a hint of citrus (especially in the throw - this is the longest-lasting and biggest-throwing citrus ever), I get tea, and a hint of floral that I can only assume is the cherry blossom. This is another one for my citrus arsenal - really great!

In the imp: Grapefruit

Wet: Very, very grapefruit (yuzu, I suppose), very citrusy and bright.

Drying: Still nothing but grapefruit, which isn't bad, but it's not really my thing.

aizen-myoo is a very fresh citrus- a little sour, still kind of green! its a super, super fresh scent, really tart. it's good- it's just not the kind of thing i wear. i wanted it to be sweeter, but this is too grapefruity.

In the imp: Whoa, that grapefruit is aggressive! I could smell it as soon as I took the stopper out of the imp.

Wet: Very citrusy/fruity, though it quickly had a mellowness to it, which I am assuming was brought on by the tea.

Dry: This is a very fresh, clean, crisp scent; I detected the grapefruit throughout, and also fancied that I smelled the tea...like I was near a fresh, cold glass full of green tea on ice on a summer's day. It's really lovely! Unfortunately, I think my skin eated it, pretty much...it lasted the majority of the day, but now I have to get my nose to my wrist and huff forlornly to get any residual nummy smell. Strangely enough, now that it's been quite a while, I smell a sweet cherry scent, mostly.

Verdict: I like it, really I do. I wish that it came in some form of spray, though, or a lotion...it would be a really great scent to slather on in the summertime, when you're showing lots of skin.

I like citrus. I like this :P

Imp: Hello, grapefruit. And some bitter orangey stuff.

Wet: Grapefruit & orange/tangerine

Dry: Still identifiably grapefruit & citrus, but like someone above, I'm getting a bit more of the cherry blossom or something now. It's much softer and less aggressive. (About 45 minutes after application.)

I, like many people on here, am not familiar with what Kaki, Yuzu or Mikan are. However, this starts out with a lot of punch! People could smell it right across the other side of my desk at the opposite end when I applied it.

It smells extremely fresh, floral & citrussy. (I hate to say it but it's almost like air freshener). But I still think it's pleasant though, even if it's slightly soapy.

This lasts for about 5 or 10 minutes and then it changes, as I said, I'm not familiar with some of the notes but..I'm guessing one of them might be a wood? A very light wood though. Almost like blondewood. I'm probably wrong but it's there somewhere.

I think this is where the tea can be more noticed too, once it's dry. Because now it smells very dry.

I think I much prefer the wet stage even if it's a bit soapy and strong!!

Edited by ouch!

In Vial:tangy and sweet

Wet: Still tangy and sweet with a lovely scent of green, fresh cut grass. As it is drying, the tanginess is starting to mellow a bit. It is morphing into something wonderful that I don't smell everyday! We'll see.

Drydown:This is the most wonderful scent. I looked up the notes I am not familiar with. The Yuzu is a Japanese citrus fruit that is suppose to be very sour. Kaki is a Japanese persimmon. Mikan is a citrus fruit in the orange family. This blend smells floral and fruity but not like any flora/fruity scent I have ever smelled before. I wish I could describe it better. It smells a bit like sugar sweet honeydew melon, but even that does not do it justice. You will have to try this one. It's Amazing!!

Sharp, refreshing grapefruit-style citrus with little sweetness on me (although I have a pretty sweet tooth, so I may be underestimating how sweet it is!).

This has some depth to it that prevents it being too light or disappearing fast - it's still going strong 6 hours after light application, albeit a much chewier (but still bright!) scent than in the initial stages.

I really like this!

Edited by Galen

This scent is the greatest! Its bright and happy and clean and juicy.

It smells just like a perfect grapefruit.

On me the scent is the same in the bottle as dry on my skin.

It makes me not want to wear any other perfume.

A lab frimp! Thanks, guys!

In the Bottle

Aw... cute! Seriously, this is positively adorable-- chirpy grapefruity tang with something deliciously sweet, and the soft, dignified calm of yuzu stopping it from being a little-kid scent. But I'll admit, it smells like these Hello Kitty lollies I bought once.

On Me

Lasts for awhile like that, but then the citrus is gone and it's just a fresh, clean scent. I LOVE yuzu-- I'm not sure how to describe it to people unfamiliar with it-- it's soft and calm and almost lily-like, a bit green, but with a fruity sweetness and less waxiness than lily, if that makes sense. Yuzu makes me think of high-end candle shops and a polite sort of beauty.

Anyway, that's what this does on me-- once the grapefruity notes are gone, I'm getting a very subtle yuzu note.

About an hour later, I'm wracking my brains going, "What BPAL did I put on this morning?" Because it's changed again-- now that the yuzu has died down, I'm smelling a very faint spiciness-- is there star anise in this?

It's lovely, I gotta admit, and about ten minutes after application, I thought this was going to be another Twilight for me. (Ten minutes after applying Twilight, it appeared in bottle form on my wishlist.) But sadly... no. It just doesn't last noticably on me: my skin drinks this up and it fades out all too quickly for me. (Still, I'm keeping the imp and enjoying it while I have it.)

urghh, this is very biting and definitely bitter! this has a sharp green sweetish chemical cleaning bitterness thats actually making me a bit nauseous going on. not sure but might be the yuzu and sakura combo? its too green to be grapefruit. I dunno but the floral + fruit is very unpleasant in this blend! lots and lots of throw that I'm not sure I want. the black tea is way, waay in the background, theres just a hint darkening the whole scent.

and its not very sweet at all! just a little increase on the drydown. black tea comes out a bit more as does the sakura and the absence of the citrus fruits make it more bearable. very sharp still.

I don't know! very interesting, definitely unique, so I'll use the imp but not bottleworthy.

In the bottle: Extremely pale yellow oil. Fresh citrus - yuzu to me smells most like white grapefruit zest, very fresh and sour, but also another sort of orangey citrus note (mikan?), and another sort of fruity note too, sweeter. Wisps of blossom and tea.

Wet: Yuzu reigns, still, but the other fruits are present and add lovely depth. I can smell the tea a bit more, a smooth almost piney note. The cherry blossom is still hiding mostly. Refreshing, unisex verging to feminine.

Dry: Dries rapidly, becoming a bit sweeter, which somehow makes the tartness all the more delicious. It's definitely a tart-fruit medley, but the yuzu and mikan seem fused, and the mikan is a bit deeper of a note, almost figlike. The cherry blossom has emerged more but remains light; tea is constant.

Later: I do believe some musk has emerged, and this has sweetened, though there is still a hefty dose of sour citrus. The fading citrus reveals more of the light but slightly heady cherry blossom. I adore the tea note in this - it's the best black tea note I've yet smelled - it's so smooth and resiny and distinct.

Summary: Softens and sweetens and fades over time, so definitely one to slather, but my skin doesn't devour the citrus notes as it often does, though they fade first. This is so delightfully tangy, fruity, and a wee bit floral, all tied together by the bold, herbal black tea and some sweet musk. Citrus version of Fire Pig/Earth Rat. Good throw, decent lasting power.

Bottle. Goddamn. TOO MANY GOOD BPALS.