Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Aizen-Myoo

... Yuzu, kaki, and mikan with cherry blossom and black tea.

In the bottle: Love it, sharp and citrusy
Wet: Still love it - getting mostly citrus with just a hint of blossom
Dry: aaaaaah, what's happened !! Turned to "jam" on me !!!! Pretty much all of the citrus that I love has disappeared, and it just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter.
Unfortunately I do not love this as I hoped that I would :P

Aizen-Myoo goes on bracingly tart--appropriately enough for a god of tarts!--and dries down to a crisp, airy floral that is light-heartedly elegant. It is a wonderful hot-weather scent.

This is an absolutely wonderful scent; so yummy in fact that I wonder what was I thinking when I ordered only 5ml of it.

In the bottle its sharp, tangy scent leaps out and grabs a hold of me. On my skin the sharpness moderates a bit, but there is still a tang as if from the rind of a citrus fruit. The blossom scent is just discernable and adds more dimension to the overall effect. I love this...I can see this may well become one of my "staples"...one of the must have at all times scents. :P

Aizen-Myoo

In the imp: grapefruit? It’s not a listed note but I get lots of grapefruit, with a slight floral undertone. I must admit that the only note I’m familiar with in this scent is the tea, I am not familiar with yuzu or cherry blossom, and have no idea what mikan and kaki are and what they smell like…whoo, unknown notes, how exciting!

Wet on skin: grapefruit with hints of black tea and a floral note which may be cherry blossom. Very pretty and fresh.

Dry: a tart, tangy, sharp scent which is mainly citrus and tea. It’s predominantly grapefruit (I’m guessing that’s what yuzu is? The yuzu perfume I smelt at Gap smelt very grapefruit-y) with a hint of tea and softer and ‘pinker’ in the background. the overall scent is zingy and bright, very fresh and zesty, a scent that would be a good pick me up.

After a while: eventually, sweetness creeps into the scent. It’s almost candy like, like a hint of something pink and sugary smoothing out the tart citrus notes. I really like that; it’s a hint of almost girly sweet pinkness appearing in the scent. I have no idea what’s causing it-maybe the cherry blossom? The effect is reminiscent of the way the pink peony smoothed and sweetened the tart teas in the Dormouse. The scent evokes the colours bright pink and yellow, and at times, it reminds me of sherbet powder and those sour sweets.

At times, the candy scent becomes floral, and then goes back to it’s sugary state, flitting in and out of the citrus.

Eventually, the yuzu leaves me, and the scent is cherry blossom-I can say that with confidence now because it's identical to the cherry blossom note in Kyoto.

Verdict: this is a very pretty, zingy scent. The dominant note is grapefruit like yuzu, tart, bitter and sharp, fresh and citrussy, but soon, a gentler, sweeter note comes out…it’s like sprinkling a grapefruit with pink sugar. I think it’s cherry blossom, and it adds a nice round candy like sweetness to the scent, providing a delightful contrast to the sharpness of the yuzu and tea. This scent is refreshing and bright, it’s a lively scent which would be lovely for spring. I don’t need a bottle yet, but an imp is enough for now because I like this.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

This isn't me unfortunately. I thought I would give a citrus fruity oil a go, and I really liked the sound of the grapefruit in the oil. However, this is too strong and sweet and generic fruit for me.

I could smell the oil before I opened the imp. It almost smelled slightly rosey and was quite exciting! However on opening, a sweet fruity bubble bath or shampoo smell made its self known. This really was a little scary.

I put a dab on my wrist and the sweet fruit scent was overwhelming. I smelled no tea unfortunately. Aizen-myoo isn't 'dry' enough for me, if it was drier, I think it would have worked.

So this one goes off to the swap pile, reinforcing my knowledge that I can't wear fruity perfume....

This is a very unusual, distinctive sweet/tart scent that's smells edible! It's some kind of grapefruit, blossomy blend, and unfortunately my body chemistry amps it up and sweetens it until it almost makes my teeth ache. It smells very fresh and pretty on my 15 year old neice, though.

Aizen-Myoo, aka "Yuzu Out The Wazoo," knocked my nose out with its dominant note when I opened the vial. I used to love my yuzu incense from Wildberry, so I'm familiar with that scent, though not with kaki or mikan. This was yuzu to the point of bitter - yuzu pith? does yuzu have pith? - but backed by something sweet and fruity.

On me:

Bright, bitter cherry cough syrup. It absolutely refused to sweeten out or mellow, and developed an undertone reminiscent of sharp sweat.

On the one hand, this is the first bPal scent that hasn't gone to powder within the hour on me. On the other hand... it hurt my nose.

Sharp, complex, and bright, but too acrid and strong on my skin. This would be a GREAT room scent for me, though.

Edited by bheansidhe

I don't know what yuzu is supposed to smell like, but Aizen-Myoo is all grapefruit zest. Which is great because I LOVE grapefruit. I don't get any of the sweetness that other reviewers have talked about, but that's okay, tart citrus is juuuust fine. :P

This is a 5 mL for sure.

Edited by cal_steph

In the imp: Wow. Sharp, biting citrus - with some earthy black tea behind it.

On me, wet: Man, this has a tangerine and grapefruit sort of tang to it. It's very sharp, but quite pleasant - and there's definitely some cherry blossom behind it too. This is good, but it might make my eyes water if I keep it on too long.

On me, dry: This is still a tangy sort of citrus, but less eye-watering than it was. The tea balances well with it, but I wish I could smell those elusive cherry blossoms more strongly. Still, this is juicy and bright and fruity.

Verdict: It really reminds me of the green tea and mandarin gel air freshener we've used in the past - which is a good thing, since I liked that stuff a lot. I'm unlikely to wear it very often, but definitely one for the 'how do you scent rooms with these things?' pile.

Wet: In the vial and initially, I was underwhelmed. I expected something really punchy from these reviews. It smelled tangy and vaguely floral, but a bit distant, as if everything was hiding. What I imagine is the yuzu seems to be dominant, but it seems nebulous at first. (But now that I spilled a drop on the label, my corner of imps smells strongly. Oops.)

Dry: After the scent developed, I kept smelling my wrists. The first hour of wear is definitely the high point of Aizen-Myoo. The first phrase that pops into mind is a "juicy floral". And, oh, is it juicy! The underlying cherry blossom is drenched in copious amounts of irresistible, tangy fruit, primarily citrus, with a bit of perfectly balanced tea. Very evocative of Spring, and delicately exotic. It's attractive in its zingy brilliance. It is such a bright scent, and I feel it wafting around me, like a glowing nimbus of playful olfactory goodness.

Later: After a while (a little over an hour), the tartness of the citrus is seriously tempered. While it was reminiscent of grapefruits before, it fades down to something sweeter and tamer. The tea rises into the foreground, which isn't too bad of a trade-off: I like smelling like tea. It smells as if the tea has cherry blossoms floating on the surface, with crystallized fruit sugar for sparkle. It's never cloying, but it doesn't have the zing it had before. In this stage, the throw diminishes considerably, and it's much closer to the skin now. It lasts a few hours before even the tea fades away, leaving behind a sweet, vaguely tasty cherry blossom. (It turned a tiny bit powdery on me once, but hasn't done that again.) It's not bad at all, but it doesn't hold on to its original delightfulness.

Verdict: This is the first ever BPAL oil I've tried! I'm happy that the fruity stage is neither overripe, nor sweet, nor fake or generic. I'm a bit disappointed that my body chemistry softens the yuzu after a while, but I'm happy that of the other notes, it chose to amp up the black tea, and the more I smell it, the more I love the opening stages. I enjoy it every time I wear it, and it's a potential candidate for a big bottle. I know that I'd use it a lot, because it is a "young" scent that lends itself to everyday wear.

Edited by tajana

The first thing I thought when I smelled it was lantana! It has that sharp, tarty lemon smell that the lantana leaves to. I love it and I'm not one to love citrus scents. :P

As it dries it pulls away from the bright light and starts a nice warm golden glow.

This has a really decent throw. It's my normal type scent, but I can see wearing it on a spring/summer day when I'm in a really chipper mood!

Fresh From The Imp: Mmm, cherries.

Wet On My Flesh: A very citrus-like perfume is what I'm getting out of this. I don't smell the tea, and the cherries are adding just a touch of sweetness.

Drying Down: It's blossoming out to give itself a hint of spice. It's almost like... candy cigarettes?

Hour To Integrate: Now it's gone to powder, which is really too bad, since I liked it at the beginning.

End Of Day/Final Report: Unfortunately, not a keeper. Into the swaps with you.

Now that I have put some on, me likes Aizen-Miyoo. It smells...as if guava and a really nice citrus mated and had a child. Not something I would eat, but yummy to smell. That's first application.

Ok, Aizen-Miyoo had a chance to dry a little, and it is still very interesting: almost-fruity, almost-spicy, with some kind of cool (temperature; and expression of admiration) undertone. Me likes this lotsa.

Now that Aizen-Miyoo is dry, I can smell the sweetness - something similar to vanilla; although the citrusiness lingers. It now smell like something you'd like to put on your chai latte.

A few days after I made those notes, I was wearing it among a bunch of kids, and one of them yelled "Who brought in a grapefruit?" Idiots, but I will be careful with wearing it. I like this smell, but it is not one of my top favourites in my first imp pack.

In the vial: Green leaves torn in your fingers, sharp and bitter

Wet: At a slight distance, there's a strong cherry scent; up close it's that green leafy smell. The sharpness and bitterness are interesting, and refreshing in a way, but it's also making me slightly sick to my stomach for some reason. I think there may be a mismatch between me and this perfume.

Drying: It's starting to resolve into the grapefruity scent of yuzu now, but it's quite a sour yuzu on my skin, more like bitter grapefruit pith. It's still unsettling me. I'm trying to wait it out, but I may have to wash it off.

Further drying: Grapefruit pith and cherry powder. I give up. This one is just not going to work for me.

Yes! I've been pining after this scent for a while and it really lived up to my expectations! Every ingredient is one I love and it smells so good, fresh, and fruity. Two of my fave notes are tea and fruit and this one really knocks it out of the park! This takes me back to visiting Tokyo in December, crows were hanging around on all the persimmon trees. Also, my hostess put a Yuzu fruit in the bath which she said was traditional to do around New Year. This brings back those great memories. The persimmon is sweet, but mellow after the initial citrus kick.

Later: it dried down to more of a persimmon/cherry blossom combo that's more subtle but still nice.

Sooo good. Thanks to madelf for this frimp!

Update: This is the first BPAL my bf actually likes! All the other ones he said smelled "like an old lady". I think florals tend to evoke that response more. Anyway, I'm happy he likes this one as much as I do! (I've been wearing it almost daily)

Edited by abbycomix

Sweet! My husband thought peaches, and I agreed. It mellowed into sweetened citrus, and now it's cherry blossoms and tea.

I'm really enjoying this, even though it's a complete departure from what I usually wear...great for spring.

In the imp: Crisp, cold, citrus. A bite underneath, but a nice bite. Sweet, spicy and citrus.

Wet: Fruit! Crisp citrusy FRUIT! There's a biting undertone, like neroli but more astringent and bitter. I think the black tea is part of the biting undertone.

Dry: Sweet citrus and I'm LOVING IT! Same as before just softer.

Category: Citrus

CHANGED! Rating: 4.5/5; Changed my mind on the strength, was sensitive that day.

Overall: The yuzu in this is lovely, without a doubt. I don't know what kaki or mikan smell/taste like exactly, but they are pleasant enough in this blend. The throw is AMAZING and strong. I can see why this would be a blend for prostitutes, comes on strong. I didn't put a lot on, actually VERY little and it overpowered my nose. This would be a blend to dilute for me as I don't like reeking too heavily of anything.

My second wearing brought SO MUCH MORE out of this scent. This is really a sleeper hit with me. Where the fruits were bitter and sour the first wear, they are just plain juicy and succulents. This is not an outright sweet but an implied sweet. This is so lovely on a spring day where it's hard to study indoors. If you like citrus or spicy fruit, this is DEFINATELY your thing!

Edited by PixieSkull

Bottle: tart, floral, and citrus-y in a fresh-and-clean way.

Wet: very citrus, like a marriage between lime and grapefruit. Now, I love both of these as fruits, and even the smell of them as I cut into them with a sharp knife..and I'm not foody-fond at all with scents, but this is tart enough to not offend my delicate sensibilities. behind the tart lies the hint of the floral, no more than I got from the bottle, but I have hopes for more - I rather like cherry blossom (in person, that is).

Dry: no hint of the tea, yet. another fruity smell comes up to stand in front of the floral - must be the kaki (persimmon-ish, basically)..but at least it's not shudderingly sweet. I'm not happy about the obviously-fruity note stepping up to say hello, but at least my sinuses aren't protesting.

Later: Very much like the drydown, slightly mellower.

I think this is really the first food-based scent that I like..I do like it, but I don't love it, not on me - it's just not a scent for me...but I can totally see myself enjoying smelling it on someone else who is more suited to a sweet-tart floral.

I was going to get an imp of this in my next order, but the labbies frimped it to me so now I get to try it early!

Immediately I get that sharp grapefruity scent, which I assume is the yuzu. Sad thing is, I think I'm allergic. :D My nose is all burny now, when I inhale it my throat does that swollen "I might just close on you" thingy, and I get nauseous.

*runs to wash it off*

Damn body! :P

Sweet, tart, fruity! And some tea underneath. That's just in the imp and wet.

Once it's dry on my skin, Aizen-Myoo is like a sugared grapefruit topped with a very VERY soft, sweet floral.

While it was wet, I was thinking it wasn't anything special, but I love it dry. It's unique and I think it'll be a great summer scent.

Mmmm...grapefruit and tangerine and wonderful bitter citruses! But the black tea in this adds a note that doesn't entirely agree with me. It need something deep to ground it and drown out the black tea: it's stunning layered over Midnight Mass. The only florals from this I get are really green ones...this has a note that smells like cherry blossoms taste. Or any other not-normally-edible wispy flower for that matter; most of them taste about the same.

Wow! Much to sharp and acidic for me..... overwhelming scent of grapefruit? something, but it just did not work for me and really hurt my nose and make it stuffy for a few days. Really the only scent I have completely not been able to get myself around and enjoy. Passing it on to a true fan though......

In the bottle: Extremely sharp citrus - yuzu and mikan (respectively a type of lime and a type of mandarin), certainly, but also a fruity scent, possibly the kaki.

Wet: Same as in the bottle, with the tangy fruitiness coming out alongside the citrus, I'm slightly reminded of passionfruit.

Drydown: The fruitiness, certainly the kaki, becomes much sweeter and soft, but there's still the tangy citrus alongside it, with a bit of a bitter green scent that reminds me of citrus rind. It gets a bit more bitter as time goes by. The citrus lifts just a bit to let in a flowery scent, the cherry blossom, a very pretty white flower scent, and the blend ends on cherry blossom and kaki.

Overall: I like this a lot, generally I'm a fan of citrus scents, this one is fresh and sensual at the same time. It's true that there's a "shower gel" element, but if shower gels smell like that, put me down for some Aizen-Myoo! Clears your head with its sharpness, smells clean and becomes sweeter and softer as time goes by.

What Aizen-Myoo ended up reminding me of, more than anything, is grapefruit juice - ruby red grapefruit and tangerine juice, sweeter and milder than regular grapefruit. That's what the combination of citruses in this blend remind me of. The other notes only became apparent after a long period of drying-down, after the citrus edge had faded into something a little warmer and sweeter.

Bright pink grapefruit, almost cat pee but not quite, softening over time as the cherry blossom and tea creep in, but not something I want to smell like. I didn't look up the notes before I swapped for this, and I wasn't expecting grapefruit. Off it goes.