Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Aizen-Myoo

... Yuzu, kaki, and mikan with cherry blossom and black tea.

In the Imp (ITI): It’s rather sweet, but almost on the chemically side. The yuzu and kaki are the strongest, although the cherry blossom is right up there with these two leading notes. On second sniff, the mikan peel is rather strong, while the tea seems to be fighting to get any attention.

Wet: Rather citrusy and floral. The kaki and the cherry blossom are very prominent, and while it is still a little chemically, it’s rather feminine.

Dry: Thankfully, the chemically smell has decreased significantly, leaving persimmon, cherry blossom, and black tea. There is just a faint hint of citrus. For some reason, it reminds me of a ryokan in Kyoto – it must be the tea and cherry blossom.

In the imp: Cherry blossom and citrus.

Wet: Yup. Mostly cherry blossom. Very fresh and clean.

Dry: I don't really get any black tea, which is a shame. This is just citrus and cherry blossom on me. This is probably the most perfumey BPAL scent I've tried thus far, though I probably think that because I used to wear the Body Shop's Cherry Blossom scent. Also, this faded very fast - I put some on at 3pm, and by 6 it was barely there.

This started out very citrusy on my skin, I could detect a little bit of tea in the background too. It stayed that way for half an hour or so and then the cherry blossoms took over ... after that it faded away completely, my skin ate it. It's a very faint scent on me, I had to get up close to my wrist to be able to smell it. Overall, if you like citrus or tea scents then you will probably like Aizen Myoo. I don't find myself drawn to citrus scents and I was hoping for more cherry blossom - it did come out in the end but by that time it was so faint that I could hardly smell it.

Edited by becca_s

Imp: sweet citrus, and cherry blossom.

Wet:very sweet bright citrus fruit, a lot like pink grapefruit, or a blood orange. Cherry blossom compliments the citrus very nicely.

Drydown: the cherry blossom is starting to come out some more, also getting some of the tea.

Dry: just a hint of tea, cherry blossom, and citrus fruit.

Overall: this smells like real fruit. I am blown away by how real, and lovely this smells. It really is amazing, I never would of thought I would like a citrus scent, but I LOVE this! If you're a fan of citrus you should really check this one out. I wish the tea would have came out more, but I still love this oil!

First on, wet: Fantastic! Fruity, but completely natural, riding on a sea of fresh air, with nary an aquatic note to ruin it.

The drydown was less fruity - very subtle, but lovely.

Unfortunately, it faded away in less than an hour.

This isn't really something I would've picked for myself based on the notes, but it's so popular and since it does have tea in it I thought I'd give it a try. I should've stuck with my gut on this one. To date, Aizen-Myoo is the most unpleasant BPAL experience I've had. At least I should be able to pass it on to someone who'll love it relatively easily.

First Sniff: Soapy Strawberry.

Second Sniff: Bubble bath. Strawberry bubble bath. Chemical and fake.

Wet: Heady fumes. It smells like tar and citrus combined. It's awful.

Dry (30 mins): So soapy, a super-super-sweet floral with a chemical-strawberry vibe. This is so strong. I'm trying to keep my wrist away from me.

Dry (1.5 hours): Soapy, pink, perfumey. I've been trying to cover it up with my sleeve. I don't wash it off so I can finish the review.

Dry (3 hours): It's finally started to die a little bit. It's greener, softer and not as offensive but still not enjoyable. I'm getting an orange flower vibe.

Throw: Medium to strong.

Colour association: Paaaank! As pink as you can get.

I have no idea what it was that caused this reaction on me, maybe the cherry blossom and mikan? They sound pink. I'll be avoiding almost all those notes in future.

Edited by Scorianelle

In the bottle: For some reason- cacao and citrus. Don't ask me why. :umm:

Wet: Ahhh, glorious yuzu! Now I want to go eat some grapefruit! :yum: Slight bamboo.

Drydown: Soapy yuzu now. :nervous: What the heck happened?! He smells EXACTLY like some guy that I went to school with. very, very soapish. Yeah, not my cuppa. :lol: Low throw at least. He's pleasant enough, but I don't think I'll keep the imp. Just doesn't scream, "ME!!! PICK MEEE!" And that's what I'm looking for. :rolleyes:

2/5

This was a frimp from the Lab. I've adored 4 oils in a row this morning so not liking this one is an encouraging indicator that I haven't dissolved into Polyanna I-love-everything-ness :) I would dearly love to find something that smells of cherry-blossom and black tea and does appeal to me, but the notes of soury fruit just aren't my thing. No worries, I am confident that at some point Beth or another Lab genius will come up with the kind of blend I want. This just isn't it.

So this is my first review (eep!), with me trying one of my sister's imps! I know when she first applied it I didn't like it much, so let's see how it is on me...

On wet: It smells so much like shampoo I can almost taste the bitter soapy taste on the back of my tongue. Horrible, cloying sweet Herbal Essences-y shampoo. It doesn't even smell like citrus, which is rather disappointing since I've always loved the smell of lemon, grapefruit, etc. Here's hoping it'll improve over time...

Drydown: Nope. Still shampoo.

Dry (10 minutes): Not as cloying anymore and a little more bitter, that's probably the tea coming out even though my nose isn't that experienced at picking out scents yet. But that soapy smell is still so, so overwhelming. More tea, please!

Dry (30 minutes): The soap smell has gone from bashing itself in my nose to lurking just under the surface, but the damage is done: my throat's all dry and scratchy now icon_sad.gif Everything else is fading away along with it, so I don't think the perfume's going to change much from here...

All in all, I expected it to be bad, but certainly not soap-in-my-mouth, garishly-fluorescent-pink bad =/ Good thing my sister just ordered some more imps and I'll have something new to try out soon! Hopefully I'll find something that suits me better in that batch.

Posting from my old (summer '06) BPAL review journal; I will update as I retest

(circa July '06 - don't know if imp was lab fresh or eBay lot, so imp age/freshness is unknown)

In the imp, this is a sharp, clear citrus - more like citrus oil than juice. It reminds me of biting into a kumquat, actually; sweet, sour, and slightly bitter.

Wet, the scent softens a little, but doesn't change its overall character.

Dry - sadly, this fades very quickly on my skin. Within 30 minutes, it had dried down to a soft, delicate citrus, although I do occasionally get a waft of it without having to stick my nose to my wrist.

Overall, I think this will be amazing for hot weather, even if it needs to be reapplied regularly.

Current thoughts (25 Jan 13):

This is an amazing scent for hot weather, although I use it primarily for a early work morning pick-me-up (0500 - icky). My favorite part of AM's lifespan on my skin is the first 20 mins, with the vivid citrus oil impression it gives. I really should try a scent locket...

A frimp from the Lab, tested blind.

In Vitro Fresh; citrus?

Wet Light, sweet, floral/fruity. After three minutes, a bit lemony. Nice.

Drying Twenty minutes on this was faded, milder, and slightly soapy. Later - I didn't note the time - there was only faint sweetness.

Given the exotic-sounding notes I would have hoped for something more, but this was unmemorable on me.

In the imp: The yuzu is the dominant note. I have no idea what kaki smells like, though.

Wet: The yuzu is the dominant note on my skin at first, and I'm reminded of the yuzu in Lightning Storm hair gloss. The scent seems to have become less sweet once it hit my skin, though. I do get the 'bittersweet' aspect mentioned in the description.

I think the cherry blossom is trying to peek out. I am not really getting any tea at this point. Yes, the cherry blossom is definitely becoming more prominent. I am enjoying this thus far.

Dry: It is far more bitter now, and I'm not sure if that is due to the tea note or a note that I'm not familiar with...it has a bit of a smoky scent to it as well.

Verdict: I like this, but I preferred it in its wet stage. I'm going to see how quickly I go through my imp before deciding to upgrade to a bottle.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one already!

In bottle: Hello, yuzu! Very sharp and almost grapefruity.

Wet on skin: Creamy citrus with a hint of cherry blossom. Love it.

Dry on skin: As much as a I loved the wet stage, the dry stage is even better. Clouds of creamy citrus billowing over a base of tea and cherry blossom. Medium level throw, but it lasts FOREVER. I can put it on in the morning and still smell it much, much, much later in the day. Just an absolutely gorgeous scent!

ITP: Chemicals with a citrus quality.

Dry: Citrus soap with a bit of a powdery edge.

Verdict: Arg...

This is a pretty floral. I don't get any tea whatsoever - just light but fresh and fragrant florals. Someone on pg 1 said it was sort of like grapefruit, and I agree completely. Cherry blosom and grapefruit.

It's so pretty, I am almost tempted keep my imp of it, even though it doesn't suit me at all. I will probably pass it on though. 😊

I had a hard time picking notes out of this. It was a light pretty floral for all of 10 minutes. Just as I was starting to get a handle on the notes present, it pretty well disappeared. It leaves me without much to say about it, as I can barely remember it now!

Very pretty and feminine, suitable for all ages. Very safe too, and work appropriate as well. It's quite nice, but not for me. Glad I had a chance to test it.

A weird, plasticky, artificial cherry blossom — like if you bought shampoo or body wash with "Cherry Blossom Scent." There's a little tea in the bottle, and a brief flash of yuzu as it dries, but mostly that body wash scent.

I seem to recall that I wanted to test this for the alleged grapefruit note, but there isn't any.

An initial blast of tart citrus (which I find delightful).

And then, after about 15 minutes, it smells like play-doh - this is the first scent on me that has had that effect and it really is remarkable how much I smell like play-doh right now. If I really huff my wrists I get a tiny bit of black tea, but mostly it is play-doh.

And so there was great sadness in the land - as I had such high hopes for this one. Oh well, they can't all be winners!

Got this one as part of the oriental floral imp pack. This starts off sharply citrusy and bitter, which I really liked. I wish this stage would've stuck around longer. However, citrus, I have found out, fades REALLY fast on me. This stage faded in about 5 min to sweet and somewhat pastry-like. It somehow reminded me of a light and crumbly pastry, like a scone. I didn't really notice the tea, but maybe some of the floral aspect of cherry blossom in the pastry stage. Little throw on me once the citrus fades, it lasted pretty well at 3 hours but totally disappeared by 6 or 7. This one changed quite a bit from wet to dry. I like it enough to keep the imp but probably not for a bottle. If citrus had more staying power on me I think it would've smelled very different on the dry-down based on other reviews. It seems like a light, cheerful scent to me.

A potent, artificial-smelling cherry blossom comes up first -- then I realize that aromachemical fruity smell is bursting from at least one of the fruits. I'm not familiar with them, so I can't say which, but it's melon-like to me. Over time the note fades but doesn't improve.

I never get more than a hint of black tea.

A sad pass.

Goes on like a fruity-citrus/floral shampoo. It's not bad - just a bit commercial. As it dries, the citrus wears off and a creamy floral quality emerges; it's what I think may be the cherry blossoms. While this scent is nice - it faded quite quickly on my skin - within half an hour it's a whisper of a scent, although it smelled really nice when I could smell it.

In the imp: I'm getting apples, and only apples. Bright green Granny Smith apples.

Wet: Yep, still apples.

Dry: Whenever I move my arms or hands I smell a waft of something fresh and citrusy and unfamiliar. Probably the yuzu or mikan or kaki, none of which I've smelled before but apparently they're all citrus fruits. BUT when I smell my wrist up close, the citrus disappears and I only smell sweet, very powdery floral. It's interesting.

Still dry, a few hours later: The citrus smell is all gone. When I sniff my wrist I still smell that powdery smell, but now there's something else hiding underneath it. Something... buttery, almost? Not like straight butter, but something baked with a lot of butter. Like shortbread cookies, but different. I really don't know how to describe it. It's very faint, though, and the sweet powdery scent notes are still dominating the scent.

Edited by ShunnerOfHugs