Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

General citrus recommendations - and discussion of all things orange

I have a few that I am compelled to add to your "to try" list:

1. XIUHTECUHTLI: Copal, plumeria and sweet orange and the smoke of South American incense and crushed jungle blooms.

This one is amazing. Not too sweet, not overly knock-you-out orange, not too floral... and the copal and incense notes are gorgeous. This one is rich and complex and juicy. It's on my top 5 BPAL list.

2. CALLIOPE: lavender and bright mint with bergamot, verbena, thyme and a touch of sweet orange and warm almond.

This one is like homemade lemonade with springs of lavender and bergamont sprinkled on top. It's really more of a spring/summer scent, but I use it to keep me awake and clear headed on those all-nighters I pull for my schoolwork. It's really beautiful and sparkling... clean and bright.

I hope that helps!

I agree with the recommendations of Whitechapel, Namaste and Embalming Fluid. Whitechapel is the most pow in-your-face citrus of the three for me, but I think that Embalming Fluid is an awesome mix of citrus and tea. Mmm. :P

Keep in mind I'm still pretty new to BPAL, so I'm not sure if others are better - but these are three I like! I also saw a bunch of Chaos Theory III's that were citrus based.

I definitely recommend giving Xanthe a try: Guava, orange peel, white pepper, spun sugar and apple blossom.

It's light, fresh fruity enough to hopefully turn your boy on, and sweet/foodie enough hopefully for you. The orange peel is just bitter enough to give the whole thing a bit of a tea quality, but it's still very sweet.

Also maybe Azazoth: tangerine, saffron, vetiver, black amber and cedarwood.

The tangerine is pretty muted but it might be another scent that you both enjoy.

Nobody has mentioned Torture King. The lime in TK is wonderful! A beautifully blended morphing scent.

And I like Whitechapel for in your face citrus.

I would also second Aizen-myoo. It's a sweet sharp scent, really nice.

Severin is lovely. Tea and leather and lemon. I second the suggestion of Embalming Fluid, as it's a nice light citrusy scent.

The older version of 13 smells very orange-ish, at least to my nose. It's also chocolately, and I know it has vanilla but I can't smell that at all. Maybe as a compromise between foody and citrus? :P

I like citrus... so I have a fair amount of them although not all have worked with my body chemistry.

I recommend Et Lux Fuit... it smells like an orange creamsicle, which may be a good compromise between you two.

Other citrusy smells:

Mock Turtle's Lessons

Panacea: Lustration

Baobhan Sith (but this has your grapefruit nemesis... and it's floral, so you may hate it... but to me, this is absolute grapefruit love)

Calliope

Haunted Palace (this is sweet blood oranges on me and I adore it)

Succubus (is citrusy and florals combined together to me)

I hope your boy and you reach scent nirvana together.

Has anyone mentioned Lucy Westenra yet? I guess I just can't get enough of it, but on me it's a sweet, slightly-floral orange. It's really pretty and creamy and lovely.

Cheshire Cat is my all time favorite citrus scent, and I'm usually a fan of the foodier fragrances. I see you already have a 10ml though, so it's nothing new to you!

I'd second the suggestion of Versailles - definitely citrusy, but the amber also gives it a sweet undertone that might appeal to your foody, rich side, while still allowing the citrus to come out and play and tickle your boy's nose.

That is such a bummer that he really dislikes the particular notes that you love so much. :D Boys and scents - sometimes they can be very frustrating togther. I have an old boyfriend who wanted me to wear a certain perfume. It was something I'd never heard of and can't recall now, but one an ex of his used to wear. I sort of nodded and smiled, but inside I was like, "Yeah, whatever! I'm really not interested in smelling like your old flame."

To bad BPAL doesn't make a 'Dutch Oven' scent. I'd get that for him in a heartbeat. :P

i forgot to mention some! oh, and i'm just mentioning the citrus notes and some others that i could pick out on my skin.

akuma - pretty much orange all around, with a hint of raspberry. this is a really beautiful citrus scent.

casanova - there's bergamot and lemon in this. if it weren't for the leather and patchouli in this, i'd like it. on a man, though, i'd really like it. however, my friend thinks it smells like a regular store bought cologne (i swapped it to her in hopes she'd put it on her boy :P).

titus andronicus - bergamot and neroli. it turns kinda powdery (it was the musk, probably) on me, but it's a lovely scent. some compare it to snake oil, but i never got that.

i just noticed casanova has lavender, but it would probably be hard to pick out, since it has a lot of stuff in it.

Edited by klavierbarrette

A big big second on the Ravenous suggestion!! Ravenous is such a great combination of citrus and the spicy richess that you already love. I am not a huge huge citrus fan but I am crazy about this one. Also, perhaps Masquerade, again, it has patchouli so it can satisfy both of you! :D

It totally sucks that he does not like the scents you like. I am in the same boat with my bf (but now we are somewhat long distance so I wear what I want, mawahaha!), although he hates ALL perfume, and says that BPAL (in general) smells like cleaning products and air freshener. Honestly, I just ignore the comments and wear it anyway because it makes me happy. He said he couldn't tell the difference between the scents, except that they smell like cleaning products! Boys are so stupid sometimes.... At least I know I don't totally reek or something since most people I run into daily compliment my perfume. Hmph! :P

Edited by euterpe414

Sundew isn't really citrus, but it's yellow (if that makes any sense) with an undercurrent of spice.

I tried Carnal and I got mandarin juicyness, tempered by the fig. It wasn't altogether juicy fruit.... it was simply very lush. It wasn't overtly foodie.

Although I'm usually a spicy scent sort of woman, lately I've been in the mood for citrus ones. For instance I've been using a honey, tangerine and grapefruit moisturizer after my showers and a lemon hand salve throughout the day at work. Obviously I need some citrus BPAL scents to join the fun. :D

I've used the search function on the site and am considering the following: Arcana, Bess and Zephyr. Does anyone have any other suggestions? At this rate I might as well order an imp-pack. :P

Although I'm usually a spicy scent sort of woman, lately I've been in the mood for citrus ones. For instance I've been using a honey, tangerine and grapefruit moisturizer after my showers and a lemon hand salve throughout the day at work. Obviously I need some citrus BPAL scents to join the fun.

Spring,

I love citrus as well. My newest fav is Shoggoth - gorgeous lemon with a background of coconut (sounds odd, but is really divine). Other favorites are Kumiho - creamy, sugary lemon drops, and Whitechapel - lime and lilacs. Manhattan also has a fresh, sophisticated lemon scent.

Zephyr is one of my favorite scents, but it's not particularly strong citrus on me. For things that do shout citrus, though, I like Night-Gaunt, which is a more floral version of Aizen-Myoo to my nose, the aforementioned Whitechapel, and Baobhan Sith. Xiutecuhtli is a more sophisticated kind of orangey blend.

Never realized how much I like citrus until I started typing this up...

Cheshire Cat and Phobos are other great greapfruit scents.

Whitechapel is definitely my favorite lime BPAL! The combination of notes is wonderful. For orange, I love The Haunted Palace, although orange isn't necessarily the dominant note. Grapefruit can go strange on me, but I do love The Queen of Diamonds (that one may be hard to track down, though, since it was a forum only LE from late 2004).

I can't always tell the difference between lemon and lemon verbena in a blend, unless everything else with the verbena is herbal and woody as well. So I find Shanghiai deliciously lemon-y, even though it contains verbena. Phobos is gorgeous, layers of lemon scents over white musk and white grapefruit - again, it's lemon verbena instead of lemon (with lemongrass added too). My ultimate favorite lemon is Snow Angel, though.

The description of Santa Eularia des Rios doesn't name the specific fruit used, just "piquant citrus," but it is a lovely citrus to my nose.

I definitely agree with Manhattan - it's so classy, and not sharply citrus. Since citrus doesn't last long, the drydown is fabulous too. I feel very sophisticated and like I should be wearing a long, narrow, black leather skirt whenever I have it on.

Also, I hated the honeysuckle, but New Orleans was a nice lemon with spice underneath that darn flower. Since you like spice that might be a good idea.