Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

General citrus recommendations - and discussion of all things orange

question... so far every orange one i've tried has been really bright and just ... i dunno ... not right to me. i love citrus typically, but ... what gives? are there any darker more fuller and deeper orange scents?

for instance, i got an imp of akuma with my last order and i tried it again last night. despite having an obsession with blood oranges ... it's just stinging kinda brightness. :D and kuang shi was all potpourri!! :P of the ones that were recommended, does there tend to be much variance?

Yes, in my experience there is a lot of variance between orange notes. It depends on the oil and the supporting notes. Orange blossom smells totally different on me than blood orange.

Kunstkammer is all kinds of wonderful on me and for me.

The much-lauded Moxie did not work on me.

Although its citrus note is kumquat, try Tweedledee and see what you think.

question... so far every orange one i've tried has been really bright and just ... i dunno ... not right to me. i love citrus typically, but ... what gives? are there any darker more fuller and deeper orange scents?

Depending on your relationship with patchouli, you may want to give Masquerade a try.

Ravenous, yo! Moxie is very, very bright orange, like biting into one. Orange juice, though on me it does occasionally get sweettarty. Ravenous is really sweet and dark because of the patchouli.

I dunno about other people, but to me, Swank smells like a more sophisticated version of Body Shop's Satsuma oil. But then again my nose is quite quirky.

Jailbait was a candy orange scent - but not really orange since it smelled of cherry too in my opinion. Carnal smells mostly of fig to me. Kuang Shi was more musk and mango than orange.

However, I think Hunger is a beautiful, robust orange scent. Rather than being a tangy citrus, it was sweeter and richer. Very pretty!

Kunstkammer is killing me, I got a bottle from the swaps and now I'm madly hunting for every drop of it I can find. And I never knew I liked orange so much. It's like...if nature made dreamsicles, this is what they'd smell like.

I just got a bottle of Haunted Palace as well, and I haven't tried it on yet but in the bottle it has a great dark, kinda smoky, orange scent.

for instance, i got an imp of akuma with my last order and i tried it again last night. despite having an obsession with blood oranges ... it's just stinging kinda brightness. :D and kuang shi was all potpourri!! :D of the ones that were recommended, does there tend to be much variance?

I'm the same way- I love mandarin and tangerine but I don't like the citrus to be the main character (usually way too bright). My mandarin love is The Great Sword of War :P . There are enough deeper notes to round it out, but the citrus is still noticeable. Rather than being a very sharp 'cleaning product' citrus or foody citrus (despite cocoa being in that blend too), it turns into my perfect deep orangy scent.

Ravenous is also deeper- orange paired with patchouli, but I find it very odd. I get a bright citrus contrasted with dark patchouli and they don't seem to mix well on me without other notes to blend that contrast. But it might be worth a try for you.

Edited by birdiefu

With as many BPAL scents as I have tried and reviewed over the last year and a half, I did not think that I would need to ask for help. And then a conversation tonight with the love of my life completely turned me upside down.

After being together for over 3 years, he just now informed me that he doesn’t really like sweet or foodie scents. I blinked and said, “But… that’s… what I… wear all the time.” “I know. It’s not really a big deal.”

But it’s a big deal to me. Owning over $50,000 worth of perfume and being obsessed with fragrance… it really matters to me. And it horrifies me to think that this conversation happened after he’s been smelling me slathered in vanilla cake for years. He has complimented me on so many things, but now I think he must have just been trying to be nice, because he obviously didn’t really like the scents. The only BPAL that he has been really enthusiastic about was Tweedledee, which I wore on a total whim to see if orange scents really do turn men on (apparent answer: yes).

So now I’m dealing with the fact that my boy doesn’t like really sweet scents, doesn’t like foodie scents, and doesn’t like vanilla (exact words were that they make him kind of nauseous >_<). That seriously takes out about 99% of my perfume collection. I’m all about foodies and rich orientals.

Common Ground: The boy has admitted that he now loves Tweedledee and Snow Angel. I also like both of those. I can’t handle really sharp, bitter scents. I’m very unfamiliar with citrus in general, because I always write them off as ‘not for me.’ So my question is, what scents would be good for both me and my boy? Any recs for citrus blends that aren’t really hyper-sweet? I can't handle heavy floral blends.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. I'll have to add a few citrus blends in with my next order... and I am really out of my element here, lol.

Aww! It's sweet that he did compliment you even though he didn't like it, but I understand the irritation over it too.

I like a lot of citrus blends, but here's the thing- I know you've tried a bunch of stuff already, so I'm sorry if I'm recommending stuff you've tried and hated or something.

Kunstkammer is a lot like Tweedledee to my nose. I think it probably ages well, because I had an imp that was older and was a warm and spicy orange, but my bottle just isn't to that point yet. (Or it could just be my wonky chemistry) So that might be worth a shot!

Katharina is probably my number one scent right now, so I'm biased. I love white musk, and the feeling is mutual. How are you with white musk? Heh. Anyway, Katharina is lovely and soft and not too sweet, and it borders on foody without really crossing that line. The apricot with orange blossom is a lovely mix and it is a sweet orange-feeling scent without that sharpness of citrus. (ETA: It should be noted that I don't think of this one as hypersweet...)

I haven't tried Kuang Shi, but it's now on my short list (except there's the sandalwood of doooom). Mandarin orange, white musk, mango, and white sandalwood. It sounds like something you might like, anyway...

I don't get a lot of orange out of Jailbait, and I'm pretty sure you've reviewed it, but I thought I'd toss it out there anyway, as it's one of my favourites, and the first one my husband really remarked on. (ETA: Jailbait, on the other hand, may be a little sweet for you. Sorry!)

And here is where I veer away from orange, because I just don't know a lot of scents that have it! My other citrus favourites include lemon and lime, with the occasional grapefruit.

I like the grapefruit tempered with the mint in Shattered.

I love love LOVE Whitechapel.

You may like Absinthe, possibly? (I tried it once, but I don't remember the outcome, sorry!)

Embalming Fluid is another good one that's not floral.

And I'll conclude with Shanghai, which I've never tried but sounds fantastic.

I hope this has been at least a little helpful!

Edited by cordia

I think it's time for you to get a new boy.

Seriously, give some other fragrances a try. You're bound to find one you both like. I mean, you're hotttttt - I know it, he knows it. So long as you're giving him attention it doesn't matter what scent you're wearing.

My husband says, "trade him in." :D

But anyhow... hrm. BPAL's citrus so often turns to Pledge or PineSol or similar cleaning fluids on me but I'll try my best....

The Haunted Palace - I know you have some of this because you gave me the imp I have. B) It's the most wonderful orange on me, very ripe and juicy. Then it morphs through rose (beautifully) and vanilla, etc. One of my top favorites.

R'yleh - Evil twisted grapefruit. Hate it.

Sea of Glass - Oceany acquatic with splashes of citrus... another fav or mine.

Whitechapel - Lemon PineSol.... >_< The drydown isn't so bad though... more florals come out... ends up being pretty average on me.

Muse - Very lime margarita on me. But there's jasmine and I know how much you hate that.....

Aizen-Myoo - Very musky sour citrus. Very strong... like grapefruit but tart-er.

Venice - Wonderful juicy lemons. But more jasmine as well.... this is another favorite of mine.

Versailles - Wonderful sweet and juicy citrus. With roses mostly but the jasmine is there too..... Darn... why do all the great citrus blends have jasmine? :D

Namaste - Mmm... this one starts out and stays a lemongrassy herbal on me. I was very astonished to not see the woods to amp up. A lot like LUSH's Avobath. :P

Embalming Fluid - Oooh... another lemony goodness blend. I still need to put this on my to-buy list soon....

Desire - Heavy neroli and patchouli on me at first, but blooms into a citrussy bergamot.

Elixir III: Lustration - Lemon-cleaning fluid on me.

Elixir V: Moxie - Grapefruit.... or at least the tangy sour rind scent that reminds me of grapefruit.

Elixir VI: Detox - Lemon Pledge... but with sugar. It actually ends up being kind okay on me.

Shanghai - Crisp tea and lemon verbena... pretty good but the honeysuckle makes it kinda sour on me strangely enough.

Carnavale Diabolique - Yummy sugared lemon with a touch of creamy vanilla coconut milk... and I hates the coconut but this one is good. Has opium in it tho... so dunno about that one for you.

Gennivre, L'Artiste du Diable - Tea leaf and lemongrass, a hint of mint and finally orange blossom. Dries down to a heavier mint with orange blossom background.

Succubus - Citrus and clove... reminds me of Christmas-time pomanders.

Manhattan - WONDERFUL hot lemon tea scent. I *musts* get me a bottle of this soon!!!

Mag Mell - Fresh lemongrass and herbally meadow scent. Sage is a little strong but it goes away.

The Hamptons - Not overtly citrussy but it's still there. Nice berry scent too.

Forbidden Fruit - Really remiscent of Versailles for me but tamer somehow. Turns to soap on the drydown for me though.

Envy - A minty lime... like a perfect cool summer drink.

Cheshire Cat - Very juicy sweet grapefruit but with this wicked twisted core... actually fairly good on me.

Phobos - Nice lemon verbena/lemongrass combo... faint hint of herbal musk to the background too... pretty nice one.

-----

Well, I suppose that's it for the BPAL... wow, I've tried a lot of citrus-blends. Not horribly in love with most of them though.

I'd also recommend some other etailers as well.

Heaven and Earth - Dream (orange coconut... very good), Fairy Muse (orange tea rose), Petal (which I already know you dislike), The White Feather (sweet grapefruit... pretty good), Passion (raspberry lemon is wonderful... but it has ylang-ylang and rosewood in it, 2 no-nos for you), Pink (sicilian orange and red fruits, cotton candy, etc), and Tears Won't Fall (lemon and white rose).

Wylde Ivy - Fairy Wings (strawberries and oranges... and the strawberry doesn't turn plasticky on me like they usually do... a very "smoothie" scent), Baby Cakes (grapefruity citrus), Sweet Serendipity (delicious fruity with citrussy sweetness), Frivolous (lemons!!), Sweet Side (fruity with lemon... very "adult" type perfume), Lime Margarita (very sharp and piercing lime on me), Tangerine Loves Peach (whole lotta tangerine in this one), and Celestial Sun (orange slices with a creamy patchouli... :) ).

I still say trade him in. ;)

I really like Kuang Shi. It starts out as a nice brisk citrus, and dries down to a lovely skin musk on me. I was afraid of the sandalwood in it, but it didn't turn the scent too powdery and dry.

kuang shi is a little strong at first but it does dry down as honey said. it has a very nice dry down.

now my favorite citrus blend is tamora, but it contains vanilla bean. >_____< i'd still try it though.....the stuff mixes very well.

omg omg, i forgot to mention gamaliel. now i didn't mention this before cause you can't get imps i guess, but it is a very nice musky lemon scent. you might want to try dorian first- i haven't tried it but people have been telling me to since i like gamaliel. but it is lovely if you feel like just you know, buying a 10ml without knowing how it works on you.

Edited by klavierbarrette

Cheshire Cat has citrus, but it burns away to florals, so I didn't much care for it. I'd recommend Night-Gaunt - it has high, cheerful grapefruit throw, and underneath it is the smell of snow, with maybe just the barest hint of flowers. Soooo beautiful. (Plus, the citrus wakes you right the heck up.)

What about Zephyr? It has a non-sugary vanilla (I don't care for vanilla but I like this one) and citrus. Or Polyhymnia, it is resiny but with herbs and lemon balm, that makes it a bit citrusy. Maybe you can find scents in between tastes that you both will like.

I hope I'm not too late to put in my $.02. Here are some really good ones if no one has mentioned them:

1) Kumiho

2) Severin

3) Ravenous (really great and loooong lasting orange/oriental which is a gorgeous gorgeous thing in the fall and winter).

4) Alice (not a huge citrus, but with something lemony in there which is refreshing).

5) Wilde--I can't wear it but it's heaven if you can.

6) Dorian--ditto the above but lots of people swear it's a citrus beauty. I think it's very sporty.

I agree with olympia's suggestion of Ravenous, it is a beautiful blend. I didn't see Vixen mentioned above, and it has orange blossom, patchouli and ginger. It's very pretty.

I never considered myself a florals sort of person, and I especially eschewed jasmine. But I really love Siren. It has ginger, apricot, jasmine and vanilla in it and I consider it in the same family as Ravenous and Vixen. I always thought it was very strange-sounding combination, and then I received it as a frimp from the Lab and tried it. Wow, it is wonderful; no one element of the blend stands out; it's very mysterious and wonderful. I actually like it better than Ravenous and Vixen, and I like them a lot, and it actually gets more of a reaction of the males of the species than the other two. :P

Edited by valentina

Hmm...

My first recs would be Jabberwocky, Thaleia, Kumiho, and Et Lux Fuit...citrus tends to go kind of weird on me so I'm not that well-versed in them. Have you tried Sudha Segara? That has a sort of lemony-tea note to it that's probably the ginger, and is gently sweet without being foody. On me, at least. If you like lemongrass, I'd strongly recommend Nanshe and Namaste.

Carnal, Carnal, Carnal, Carnal. I'm a mandarin orange girl myself (my signature scent pre-BPAL was Breathe Delight from Bath and Body Works, which is pretty much the brightest, summeriest, purest orange on the market) and I've found a great love in Carnal. It sort of smells like tutti fruitti in the bottle, which is off-putting, but once it's on it's bright sweet mandarin love with the tiniest bit of sweet fig tagging along. Beautiful.

I just got my order of 13 and it's a chocolate with a sweet vanilla-orange on me. It seems to be a morpher though--others are getting a lot of florals on it.

Has anyone said Cobra Lily yet? It's not billed as an "orange" fragrance, but I get a sweet, sticky oranginess out of it. I just like it in spring, though. For cooler weather, I go with Thaleia (orange, apricot, and honey).