Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

General citrus recommendations - and discussion of all things orange

For orange I would say Vixen, and Celanthous (sp?) Silkmoth from the Metamorphasis.

Lemon, there's always Lemon Scented Sticky Bat, Embalming Fluid from the GC.

Hi everyone, longtime lurker and forum/perfume newbie here! :D

So I just received my first package of imps in the mail, which included Manhattan (lemon) and Aizen-Myoo (various citrus fruits). I absolutely love lemons, oranges and the like, but neither smelled the way I hoped they would :( I get the amber, wood and orchid in Manhattan, and on me Aizen-Myoo is a cloyingly sweet fruit scent- neither had the zest or fruit rind bitterness I was so excited for. What other scents should I try in my next order? Is my nose sadly un-functional? Or should I just accept that my skin chemistry is not meant for citrus scents?

(In addition, I like spicy/woody/aquatic scents, florals not so much.) Any recs are greatly appreciated!

I'll second the rec for Embalming Fluid & since you like the spices suggest Great Sword of War (mandarin, tonka, saffron, black tea, cocoa, tobacco leaf, sanguine red musk and five classical herbs of conflict) which is a spicy orange musk.

Maybe Nyarlathotep - I thought it smelled like limes & wood.

Veering away from citrus, You might like also like Port Royal for the spicy woods with a hint of aquatic. It's a bit on the masculine side.

I'd recommend Embalming Fluid for lemon - very refreshing - and Xiuhtecuhtli for orange if your skin doesn't amp the incense and jungle flowers beyond all reason. (I get mostly orange out of it, at least.)

Red from the Fraggles is quite gorgeous warm citrus, very juicy. Strangely, there is no citrus in it, but it just smells that way to me.

Gobo is lemony, orangey too, but also sweet.

Ira bath oil is pretty amazing, it smells like blood orange to me.

Edited by stellamaris

Have you tried Xiuhtecuhtli? It's my favorite orange scent by far.

Notes: Copal, plumeria and sweet orange and the smoke of South American incense and crushed jungle blooms.

The orange is definitely most prominent on me.

ETA: It's in the Excolo section.

Edited by kawaiiferreto

I will second the rec for Ceanothus Silkmoth. It is amazing soft woody scent with a gorgeous blood orange. Very much a 'rind' note, like what you are looking for, but with a lovely fullness to it. Not too sharp. The jasmine does not register as 'floral' to me in this. I get mainly the blood orange, oudh, bog wood and benzoin.

Another ahhhmaaaayzing citrus LE is Velvet Tiger. Definitely worth the effort to find it, IMO, if you can do vetiver. (I :heart: vetiver, so this blend was a huge hit for me. It's the scent that showed me how awesome citrus could be; before this, I wouldn't touch anything w/citrus.)

Aelopile! citrus and amber and verbena and oudh.

Also Water Dragon had a great citrus fruit mix.

You also might want to consider Wake from the Land of Dream series earlier this year. Huge slap of grapefruit, orange and lemon.

Bumping this thread to ask: are there some good citrusy blends that also lean masculine? GC or not impossible to find LE would be great.

Maybe with some sort of woody note, or just fresh without being overly sweet or floral? I'm trying to find something that might be nice to wear over the hot summer without being too cloying.

1 hour ago, notonboats said:

Bumping this thread to ask: are there some good citrusy blends that also lean masculine? GC or not impossible to find LE would be great.

Maybe with some sort of woody note, or just fresh without being overly sweet or floral? I'm trying to find something that might be nice to wear over the hot summer without being too cloying.

A few that come to my mind are:

Embalming Fluid- A light, pure scent: white musk, green tea, aloe and lemon.

Azathoth- His scent is high-pitched and screeching, both impenetrably dark and searingly bright with the clarity of madness: tangerine, saffron, vetiver, black amber and cedarwood.

Villian- A classic Victorian men’s cologne: a lavender fougere, with hints of lilac, lime, and citrus musk.

Dorian may work but I find it can get a bit sweet in the heat...

3 hours ago, notonboats said:

so much of this depends upon one's chemistry.  if you have any scent twins on the forum, I recommend seeing if they review these scents to get a sense of how they might play on your skin. 

in addition to the above suggestions, maybe try or check reviews for baobhan sith, aelopile, countenance forboding evil, khubla khan, knucklebones, search engine, take the moon, only a sip and spider from the lab's gc range

currently available le's balmy 26degrees, beware pickpockets, right ventricle, left atrium, dreadful snowglobe and blood and the lemon. 

you might enjoy absinthe  blends. they are a little bit lemony and refreshing.  happy huffing/hunting!

eta hedonism bath oil from the post is lovely resins and citrus. makes a great after-shower/bath lotion if you have dry skin.

Edited by annemathematics

21 hours ago, notonboats said:

I would add that Whitechapel is a refreshing lime scent that leans to the masculine side of unisex. John Watson, too. And you might try Molly the Reaper from Pretty Deadly.

Thanks everyone for the recs!

I had an imp of Azathoth hanging around so that gave that another go. I like it, but on me it's almost entirely a strong cedar scent. Too bad, a big hit of tangerine would have been great 

I'll poke into the reviews for your other suggestions and see what appeals!

🍊💛🍊

2 hours ago, notonboats said:

I had an imp of Azathoth hanging around so that gave that another go. I like it, but on me it's almost entirely a strong cedar scent. Too bad, a big hit of tangerine would have been great 

🍊💛🍊

I recommend Nyarlathotep, even though citrus isn't mentioned in the description, it has a general citrus vibe (maybe more lemony than orangey?), and IMO it is a nice balance of fresh and light incense - I think it's great in warm weather.

On 4/9/2019 at 4:18 PM, notonboats said:

🍊💛🍊

Is your imp very aged?  Mine is lab fresh and is all about the tangerine for the first hour with hints of cedar and vetiver in the background.  Then those 3 notes are equal for a few hours and deep drydown is a light cedar.  I find that aging isn't good for most citrus scents, especially in imp form.