Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

General citrus recommendations - and discussion of all things orange

I'm looking for some citrus/ginger combos that aren't too orange-y.  My mom loves Arbonne's Citrus Ginger sugar scrub and I'm trying to replicate it for her.

I've never actually smelled it, which is obviously my first problem.  The ingredients include linalool and limonene and something that wikipedia tells me smells like a spicy lily of the valley.  Mom says it smells like ginger and lemons, but not floral.

Has anyone smelled this line and does it remind you of any particular (hopefully GC) BPAL???

I've not smelled the Arbonne fragrance, but she might like Sudha Segara. The ginger in it is very lemony to my nose; to me, it's a light, refreshing citrusy scent warmed by ginger:

Sudha Segara (Bewitching Brews) - Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

I've not smelled the Arbonne fragrance, but she might like Sudha Segara. The ginger in it is very lemony to my nose; to me, it's a light, refreshing citrusy scent warmed by ginger:

Sudha Segara (Bewitching Brews) - Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

Ah, thank you!  I didn't consider that one, but I have an imp (somewhere??) so I'll have her sniff it and see what she thinks.

Although I am not particularly fond of citrus scents, I am desperately searching for one to match my stage persona. I'm looking for something a little less floral than orange blossoms, but I also don't want to end up smelling like dish soap, so I'm not even sure about where to start.

As a club/event promoter and gogo dancer, everything about my image, right down to my scent, is important. Because everything about me is orange from my clothes to my hair to my makeup, I can only use a vanilla scent for so long before people start making comments. And since its already started happening, I think its time for me to start actively trying to find an appropriate one. I'm mostly searching for an orange/tangerine scent with an underlying tobacco or musk scent, but candy-like scents could also be useful because people have said quite often that I remind them of orange soda or creamsicles.

All recommendations for scents and combinations are greatly appreciated!!

Thank you, everyone, for your time! :wub:

Hi, welcome to the forum! Might I suggest:

Aizen Myoo: Yuzu, kaki, and mikan with cherry blossom and black tea.

Akuma: Devilish temptation, as sweet as sin: blood orange, neroli, and raspberry.

Azathoth: tangerine, saffron, vetiver, black amber and cedarwood.

Schrodinger's Cat: tangerine, sugared lime, pink grapefruit, oakmoss, lavender, zdravetz, and chocolate peppermint.

Xiuhtecuhtli: Copal, plumeria and sweet orange and the smoke of South American incense and crushed jungle blooms.

Zephyr: Lemon, lemon verbena, neroli, white musk, white florals, white sandalwood, China musk, bergamot and a drop of vanilla.

Aizen Myoo might not be what you're after, but it's the brightest citrus I've found. Akuma's very sweet and candyish orange, and Schrodinger's Cat is quite citrusy but unusual. Xiuhtelolwut and Zephyr are sort of creamy citrus to me, and I've never tried Azathoth, but it sounds interesting.

Hope this helps somewhat :)

And this thread would be a great place to get more names of citrus-containing BPALs of all sorts!

Personally, my favorite citrus scents are LE (so not available from the lab anymore), but you might check out Hunger (Black narcissus, orange blossoms, and vanilla.) I know I liked it a lot, but I can't recall offhand how strongly orange it was...

Tweedledee is my go-to bpal for a sweet orange scent. It says orange blossoms, but I get a sweet, juicy orange scent from it.

I get a fizzy, sweet, orange citrus from Shrodinger's Cat.

I also like Hunger, but find that to be very heavy, vanilla-sweet, and floral, with not much orange...

Edited by Little Bird

Thank you all so much! This is really helpful. I did searches for "orange" but it ended up bringing up every single thread that mentioned the word, which was a bit of a pain. I really appreciate the recommendations.

have you considered night-gaunt? it's a glorious kumquat scent, very brilliant citrus.

Hunger - Black narcissus, orange blossoms, and vanilla.

Ravenous - Red patchouli sweetened by orange blossom.

Vixen - orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli.

Masquerade - Patchouli, ambergris, carnation and orange blossom.

Akuma - blood orange, neroli, and raspberry.

Kuang Shi - Mandarin orange, white musk, mango, and white sandalwood.

Maenad - sweet strawberry and orange blossom distorted by carnation, black poppy and hibiscus.

Katharina - white musk with a trickle of bright, sharp apricot and orange blossom.

Tweedledee - Kumquat, white pepper, white tea and orange blossom.

Jailbait - Sticky pink bubblegum and the thick, sweet scent of orange and cherry lollipops smeared over a breath of heady womanly perfume.

Paramatman - Orange blossom, East Indian sandalwood, and champaca.

Xanthe - Guava, orange peel, white pepper, spun sugar and apple blossom

All of these are GC, so impable from the lab. Some might be stronger on something else besides orange - of the ones I've tried, my strongest orange recommendation is Ravenous. You could dig through some reviews on these and see if they are predominantly orange enough, or get some and test them out as your skin may do something else entirely!

Akuma seems like it would be a good bet, maybe Paramatman too?

I would agree with CaudaPavonis on all of those choices. I personally ADORE Akuma, Paramatman and Kuang Shi - all delicious orange on me.

CARNAL

Bold, bright mandarin paired with the sweet, sensual earthiness of fig.

This is a really yummy one and it actually smells very true to it's description on me (no turning to citrus cleaner of any sort)!

CARNAL

Bold, bright mandarin paired with the sweet, sensual earthiness of fig.

This is a really yummy one and it actually smells very true to it's description on me (no turning to citrus cleaner of any sort)!

good one!

this is a beautiful fresh orange on me, very juicy and sweet.

I don't know many citrusy or orangey blends but...

Akuma - blood orange, neroli, and raspberry.

^^ I definitely remember trying that one and thinking it was undeniably orangey. :D

Also, available to purchase in 5ml big bottle form from the lab (not little 1ml imp), The Maltese Cross of Sanctus Germanus: Golden amber, blood orange, ambergris, lilac, frankincense, and agarwood. I get a lot of the blood orange in that blend, but YMMV.

And, a discon'd blend that might not be too too difficult to track down: Kunstkammer: A sensory jumble, a true cacophony of odors: black pepper, benzoin, blood orange and olibanum. And again, I get definitely get a blood orange, but in this blend, it comes across as almost candy-like, though I tried this awhile back and rehomed it so I can't verify.

Ooooh, I love that....orange is my favorite color!

I second the recommendations for Schrodinger's Cat and Jailbait and would like to add Cheshire Cat as well. Cheshire Cat maybe me more grapefruit-y than orange-y but I still get a very orange/citrus vibe from it.

These are all amazing recommendations, guys! I'll definitely be adding them to my lost of imps/decants to find.

I didn't see anyone mention this one, but I also find it so conceptually appropriate (in addition to smelling suitably orangey!) I have to toss it in:

Hell's Belle: Sweet, smoky and sensually wicked. A thick, steamy scent, truly sinister in its voluptuous sexuality. The perfume of a demon's favored consort, or of the devil herself. Oleander with wet, sweet mandarin, lush magnolia, a rush of deep musk and a touch of spice.

I get a lot of mandarin from this one, backed with musky spice and topped with southern florals. It's more sexy and less sweet than a lot of the citrus scents I've tried, so it might fit your bill. :)

I second Aizen-Myoo, and would suggest getting it from the lab, and unless you're going to use it quickly, just get an imp. I bought a bottle, and after about six months it mellowed out a lot. I still like how it smells, but it's not that crisp, saucy scent it was when it was fresh.

And, a discon'd blend that might not be too too difficult to track down: Kunstkammer: A sensory jumble, a true cacophony of odors: black pepper, benzoin, blood orange and olibanum. And again, I get definitely get a blood orange, but in this blend, it comes across as almost candy-like, though I tried this awhile back and rehomed it so I can't verify.

Yes yes yes! I don't post much but Kunstkammer is one of my absolute faves and definitely sounds like it'd fit the bill. It's very orange, almost medicine'y to me. Smells like orange flavoured liquid child paracetamol with a darker edge. I haven't smelt anything else that comes close.

Moxie from the Panacea section is a very bright zingy orange (many of the reviews think it also has some ginger in it).

Not available as an imp unless you buy a set of all the Panaceas but you may be able to find a decant from someone.

Lilith vs the Giant Crab was a forum-only from last year that smelled like creamsicles & sandalwood.

Sorry both these recs are hard to get a hold of but it never hurts to put such things on your wishlist! :)

Edited by alterosen

i'm looking for a creamy citrus scent to replace a beloved chaos theory that i idiotically spilled all over the couch/my fiancé's iphone/myself earlier this evening.

it's from last year's amber series, so there is definitely a soft, mild amber note, underlying a sweet, creamy lemon. the lemon itself is lovely- a sort of fresh, true lemon zest/juice sort of scent, sweetened by sugar. it almost smells like creamy lemon frosting, but it is not particularly foodie. i really love it and i'm so sad i lost it all! :cry2:

When I think of creamy citrus, Cheshire Moon comes to mind, although the notes (lunar herbs and blossoms, with lemongrass, guava, pink grapefruit, banyan fruit, hibiscus, and cherry blossom) might not lead you to expect that. Vampire Tears also gives that effect on me, although you could say the same thing about its notes too (wisteria, white grapefruit, neroli, green tea, jasmine, white ginger, honeysuckle, iris, and tonka). Sorry I can't think of a good GC that might fit the bill, but I will definitely post if I do!

Hi everyone, longtime lurker and forum/perfume newbie here! :D

So I just received my first package of imps in the mail, which included Manhattan (lemon) and Aizen-Myoo (various citrus fruits). I absolutely love lemons, oranges and the like, but neither smelled the way I hoped they would :( I get the amber, wood and orchid in Manhattan, and on me Aizen-Myoo is a cloyingly sweet fruit scent- neither had the zest or fruit rind bitterness I was so excited for. What other scents should I try in my next order? Is my nose sadly un-functional? Or should I just accept that my skin chemistry is not meant for citrus scents?

(In addition, I like spicy/woody/aquatic scents, florals not so much.) Any recs are greatly appreciated!