Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

General citrus recommendations - and discussion of all things orange

Hello! I'm a first-time caller, long-time listener. :D

I'm looking for something that oozes ORANGE, but not the fruity summertime kind. I do enjoy fresh, citrus-y scents, but there are plenty of department store variations and I'd prefer something a little more unique from BPAL. This orange is obscenely bright, but let's just say that it's covered in an elegant damask pattern(sounds like wallpaper! :P). Basically, I've been dreaming of something with a sharp, almost metallic note (believe it or not, grapefruit really does it for me) followed by something woodsy/warm/earthy with a tiny hint of sweetness.

I've had the most success with Manhattan and Severin. I'm actually a bit of a newbie, so I'd really appreciate your suggestions!

I'd recommend Winter of Our Discontent - bitter orange - strong throw though. (Edited - sorry!)

Edited by sionnac

Sounds a bit like Moxie. Really bright citrus with something muskier behind it. And I'd also say try Et Lux Fuit and Sol Invictus if you can get your hands on them.

I've finally admitted that Moxie doesn't work on me so if you'd like a bottle, I'd be willing to swap/sell it. PM me if you want it.

I second Jessie's rec's... Moxie is the best orange- ever, but it might be too bright for you (but it's worth a try, since it's so amazing). Sol Invictus or even the original Sol might be just what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Maybe Kunstkammer from the old Carnivale Noir. Very bright orange and sharp pepper. I love it. I could decant some if you want.

I love Sol Invictus, but it's a very bitter orange peel at first, not sweet. But it still smells great.

No one mentioned Fire Pig yet? That is one of the most enticing citrus fragrances I've ever had the pleasure to try and I don't actually like citrus that much! I'm so happy I'm getting a bottle.

I also recommend Forbidden Fruit and Satan and Death With Sin Intervening. The latter is a very dark orange blossom but I got a lot of zesty rind from it too. Could just be me, of course!

Looking for something reminiscent of the tiny glimpse of spring we had here in Arizona about two weeks ago. It was breezy orange blossoms with the air smelling like it was about to rain. So a slightly aquatic or ozone citrus. Not too dark or heavy but...comforting.

I'm thinking Sea of Glass could fit these requirements but I'd appreciate any recommendations from experienced BPAL'ers!

No one mentioned Fire Pig yet? That is one of the most enticing citrus fragrances I've ever had the pleasure to try

I was so excited to try this one, and I get nothing but lychee. blech...

Hello! I'm wondering if any of you have found a good BPAL approximation to Jo Malone's Orange Blossom or Nectarine Blossom & Honey colognes -- they're my two favorite fragrances but holy COW they're spendy.

Orange Blossom: orange blossom, neroli, water lily, honeysuckle, jasmine. The drydown is mostly a sort of heady jasmine. On the whole the scent is more floral than fruity.

Nectarine Blossom & Honey: clementine, peach, plum, honey, hint of blackcurrant. Mostly peachy but not cloyingly so on me; there's a vague almost soil-like note that keeps it grounded.

What I like about both of these is that they're neither too citrusy or sweet, nor are they incense-y or musky. I don't do well with incense-y or musky.

I've been poring over the forums and thus far am intrigued by Tweedledee, Hunger, Carnal, Cobra Lily, Akuma and Satan & Death with Sin Intervening. (That latter one I think I have to get just for the name!) Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Hello! I'm wondering if any of you have found a good BPAL approximation to Jo Malone's Orange Blossom or Nectarine Blossom & Honey colognes -- they're my two favorite fragrances but holy COW they're spendy.

Orange Blossom: orange blossom, neroli, water lily, honeysuckle, jasmine. The drydown is mostly a sort of heady jasmine. On the whole the scent is more floral than fruity.

Nectarine Blossom & Honey: clementine, peach, plum, honey, hint of blackcurrant. Mostly peachy but not cloyingly so on me; there's a vague almost soil-like note that keeps it grounded.

What I like about both of these is that they're neither too citrusy or sweet, nor are they incense-y or musky. I don't do well with incense-y or musky.

I've been poring over the forums and thus far am intrigued by Tweedledee, Hunger, Carnal, Cobra Lily, Akuma and Satan & Death with Sin Intervening. (That latter one I think I have to get just for the name!) Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry - I don't know the perfumes you're looking for similarities to - but I very much recommend Tweedledee! Love it, love it, love it. Smelt the imp - HAD to have a bottle right away.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry - I don't know the perfumes you're looking for similarities to - but I very much recommend Tweedledee! Love it, love it, love it. Smelt the imp - HAD to have a bottle right away.

I love Tweedledee! It's such a bright, sweet scent. It reminds me of Fruit Loops and Orange Pez. Akuma is very nice too. I love the orange-raspberry combination. I don't wear it that often, though, because it goes very floral on my skin. I guess I amp neroli, unless there's another floral component that isn't listed in the description.

Edited by evilmistressoftoast

I love citrus, but it doesn't always love me.

Citrus-y scents that work on me:

Croquet: pink lime, pink grapefuit, white nectarine, wild rose, sage, woody patchouli (which totally behaves itself, I swear!), bergamot, and ornery hedgehog musk

Embalming Fluid: white musk, green tea, aloe and lemon

The Scales of Deprivation: lemon peel, white sage, frankincense, lavender fougere, sandalwood, vetiver, and labdanum

Phantasm: green tea, lemon verbena, jasmine and neroli

Come to Me: from the Conjure Bag

Scents that didn't work:

Kuang Shi: Mandarin orange, white musk, mango, and white sandalwood

Lolita: glittering heliotrope, honeysuckle, orange blossom and lemon verbena

Shoggoth: white amber, green coconut meat, iris, palmarosa, Chinese peony, lime, water lily, snowdrop, muguet, lemongrass, osmanthus, wisteria, glassy musk, and hinoki

I love the orange, tangerine, mandarin, patchouli mix in butterflies and lovers. Hoping to find a GC that might fit the bill too. Any citrus really mixes well with patchouli but I haven't found any others with the combo. Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks!

plovers...oops :P

Edited by simplyfunjhose

There is a small thread with discussion of tangerine & related notes here, but most of the orange discussion is going to be found in this thread.

My Butterflies and Plovers just arrived today and I have a terrible case of the flu, I can't even smell it to begin to compare it to anything else I've tried.

But as far as orange-patchouli blends, I have heard lots of people say Vixen becomes an orange-patchouli on them (even though it has orange blossom listed as a note, not orange itself).

Moxie (one of the Panacea blends) is such a delicious orange-ginger, if you find a patchouli blend you like that would be good with a shot of orange I think it would be great layered.

If you want to get some input on things that may be similar to Butterflies and Plovers, you could also post a request in the LE Equivalents thread.

There is a small thread with discussion of tangerine & related notes here, but most of the orange discussion is going to be found in this thread.

My Butterflies and Plovers just arrived today and I have a terrible case of the flu, I can't even smell it to begin to compare it to anything else I've tried.

But as far as orange-patchouli blends, I have heard lots of people say Vixen becomes an orange-patchouli on them (even though it has orange blossom listed as a note, not orange itself).

Moxie (one of the Panacea blends) is such a delicious orange-ginger, if you find a patchouli blend you like that would be good with a shot of orange I think it would be great layered.

If you want to get some input on things that may be similar to Butterflies and Plovers, you could also post a request in the LE Equivalents thread.

Thanks for the move to the appropriate place. I did search for orange and came up with nada. I also searched patchouli but found nothing with orange. I didn't search citrus though and lo and behold....sorry.

This thread should have come up for you since the word orange is in the title... have you tried limiting your searches to titles only? It can also help to limit to subforum if you see that you're getting a lot of results and want to simplify.

To limit to titles only, you have radio button options on the lower right of the search form (there are four boxes under Refine Search); if you want to limit searches to subforums you do it by highlighting the area you want to search in the pull down box at the lower left of the search forum.

There are quite a few shortcut links by note in this topic, too, just for reference.

HALP PLZ!

I have a bottle of L'Occitane Feu d'Orange which I think is total love, but it doesn't last two seconds on my skin. I want a BPAL equivalent!

Ideally, something predominently orange and amber would just make my day, but the catalogue seems to be pretty short of that combo. So, any suggestions of scents or scent combos to try would be much appreciated!

(For the record, Feu d'Orange is an orange topnote with middle/basenotes of woods and amber. It's very gender-neutral.)

HALP PLZ!

I have a bottle of L'Occitane Feu d'Orange which I think is total love, but it doesn't last two seconds on my skin. I want a BPAL equivalent!

Ideally, something predominently orange and amber would just make my day, but the catalogue seems to be pretty short of that combo. So, any suggestions of scents or scent combos to try would be much appreciated!

(For the record, Feu d'Orange is an orange topnote with middle/basenotes of woods and amber. It's very gender-neutral.)

I was going to search the site, but it seems to be broken. I will update once the search function is active again.

Barring that I can recommend The Great Sword of War, very gender-neutral orange(mandarin actually) that blends really well with the musk and herbs, etc...

HALP PLZ!

I was going to search the site, but it seems to be broken. I will update once the search function is active again.

Barring that I can recommend The Great Sword of War, very gender-neutral orange(mandarin actually) that blends really well with the musk and herbs, etc...

I did manage to do a bit of searching for orange and amber, which as I mentioned was rather fruitless (LOL, a pun).

I will definitely keep The Great Sword of War a try, though! :P

I was able to smell an Arcana Oils that wasa light sweet Orange scent. i know I won't be able to get my hands on that. but are there any BPAL scents that are orange fruit not flower?

My favorite orange scent is Kunstkammer - no other fruit in there to distract from the orange. Al Sharain has a nice orange note although if you amp peach like I do, you may just get that. And several reviews of Huesos Santos are saying it smells like an custardy orange cake (I haven't tried it yet).

Two of my favorite blends contain some type of orange, and although I love it and grapefruit, I have bad luck with lemon.

One blend where the mandarin orange really comes out for me is Grandmother of Ghosts. It melds really well with the woods and florals in GoG, without making the whole scent fruity. I think it adds to the "clean" smell I get from GoG.

Faiza The Black Mamba is my other successful orange (pulp, I believe) scent. This is a greener, sharper orange, and smells very juicy. Even when the scent dries down to something more powdery, the orange pulp is easily identifiable.

I'm looking for some citrus/ginger combos that aren't too orange-y.  My mom loves Arbonne's Citrus Ginger sugar scrub and I'm trying to replicate it for her.

I've never actually smelled it, which is obviously my first problem.  The ingredients include linalool and limonene and something that wikipedia tells me smells like a spicy lily of the valley.  Mom says it smells like ginger and lemons, but not floral.

Has anyone smelled this line and does it remind you of any particular (hopefully GC) BPAL???