Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
noumenon

TKO

“Many things -- such as loving, going to sleep, or behaving unaffectedly -- are done worst when we try hardest to do them.”

This oil is quite addictive. I'm slightly obsessed.

It's funny, I never cared much for the Dragon's Blood scents from BPAL but was frimped Dragon's Milk in a recent order and fell in love with it. There's a rough/sharp opening to it, but that fades and 15 minutes later it's like a creamy marshmallow Dragon's Blood that smells like pink and red notes swirling through milky white twirls of sweet creamy ambrosia. I've been wearing it to sleep the last couple of weeks and waking up in the morning is heaven with the smell in my bedroom.

TKO seems like a sister scent to Dragon's Milk, just replace Dragon Milk's pink and red with TKO's rich pastel purples of all shades swirling through those same soft milky sweet curls. The opening shares a similar difficult opening too. TKO starts with a fresh lavender note right front and center, and lavender smells great at its heart and base but the top notes of lavender oil smell heavily herbal, like a cacophony of terpene heavy astringent notes that are none too pleasant. But once that initial blast subsides and those volatile top notes dissipate, you get hours upon hours of sweet coumarin-rich tonka hugging up on that gigantic soft pillowy lavender note. It's never too sweet, perfectly balanced. A nice big soft and cozy lavender marshmallow, a very addictive scent. A total companion scent to Dragon's Milk in my book.

Edited by nok

Ohh such a soft, sweet creamy lavender.... spun sugary purply goodness!! TBH I was not expecting this airy goodness though I don't know why. Maybe the assumption in the back of my mind that anything that's overhyped isn't worth it but this is really good.

Also I'm not usually a fan of lavender in perfume but, the lavender that I get from the imp is SO different on direct contact to the skin!

Echoing what others have mentioned many times here; definately getting that lavender marshmallows in here, that's what it morphs into directly and stays pretty much the same until drydown. A little less of a throw. Gonna hold onto this imp for a bit.

I was really excited to finally grab a bottle of TKO. So many rave reviews, and I LOVE lavender cream/marshmallow/vanilla blends!!

But I think I've been spoiled by some of the LE lavender blends, because TKO didn't really hit the spot for me. It's a lot like Daybreak or other lavender blends that are classic lavender, smooth sweetness, and generally beautiful. But TKO had a sharp medicinal edge in it, that just rubbed me wrong. Reading over reviews I see people mention eculyptus, lemon, and maybe myrtle.

In any case, it makes TKO get knocked out of my favorites due to that green sharp edge. It's enough that it actually wakes me up if I try to sleep with TKO on, so that's a huge huge bummer.

Verdict; Lavender marshmellow clouds, lines with a green tart/medicinal edge.

TKO is quite strong on me, with good throw (which I rarely get) for the first couple of hours. And it's beautiful -- a creamy sugared herbal lavender. The late drydown is a lovely vanilla, as with many of the sweet creamy floral blends. I don't need it for sleep, and I just don't wear lavender blends, so this is out of my wheelhouse, but I'm finding it oddly addicting. I may need to get a bottle of this one...

TKO has a special place in my heart.  I endorse it 100%.   

1) It absolutely does work as a relaxation and/or sleep blend.

2) It made a huge difference for my daughter's sleep routine at a time she really needed help.

3)  It smells fabulous. 

When my daughter first encountered TKO, she described it as "Like being hit by a marshmallow pillow stuffed with lavender."  

I picked a bottle of this up because:

1) I have a sleep disorder and getting 3hrs of sleep per night is my usual "good night's sleep", with 4hrs being a "super restful" sleep.

2) I love marshmallow, lavender, and fluffy cloud blends so even if it didn't help with sleep I was sure it would be up my alley.

It's definitely a relaxing blend. It's fluffy and reminds me of floating on a marshmallow cloud, yet that fluffiness is juxtaposed with a sharp, herbal lavender. It's stronger than I expected (a good thing in my book), and a very nice bedtime blend. I've only tried it once to sleep, and it didn't exactly help me fall asleep (but keep in mind I have very severe sleeping issues), but I did find it very relaxing. The smell was very comforting and I felt less of the usual bedtime anxiety while wearing it.

Definitely going to try it again and always want to keep a bottle of this for my sleep time rotation, or even days when I just want a mellow, calming scent to wear. In addition to sleep issues, I can see this being very soothing for anxiety and tension. At least it was for me.

Edited by Kanra

This is so lovely. At first the lavender is quite astringent, but it ends up softening considerably. I'm not sure what the sweetness is that I'm smelling. Sugar, tonka, marshmallow? Honestly, this smells like lavender-infused sugar or lavender marshmallows. It's so cozy and relaxing. It also lasts a long time on me. I put it on an hour before bed and woke up still smelling it on my skin after 8 hours. 

As part of my journey into liking lavender - after discovering that I really liked Mari Lwyd and White Chocolate Lavender Madeleines - I finally grabbed a bottle of this! And, gosh, it lives up to the hype!

TKO goes on strong, a big punch of herbal-fruity lavender, but then immediately a sugared marshmallow steps up, and it all turns into a glorious fluffy lavender-creamy-mallow cloud. Awesome throw - every time I move my arm, a waft of scent billows up! It's nice for snuggling on the couch with the husband and the cat and watching Star Trek right now, and I think it'll be a good sleep blend too - very soothing and relaxing, just a soft big hug of a scent.

Very herbaceous lavender, very rich vanilla, and... really aggressive burnt sugar? Tonka? 

This honest to god smells like a deep fried bundle of lavender. As odd as that sounds it actually does smell how being super sleepy and cozy feels.